6/22/2013 5:57:54 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Just got my scores from the June SAT and I got:
Critical Reading73097%
Math67089%
Writing69095%
Multiple Choice73 (score range: 20-80)
Essay7 (score range: 2-12)

I have mixed feelings. I did better than expected on the critical reading section, but my math and writing scores lagged behind what I had got on the PSAT. During the test, I had to reenter all my math grid-in problems because I filled them in the wrong section, and that wasted some time. I completely bombed the essay too. The prompt was very awkward, and I couldn't think of any good examples in the time allotted. I feel like if I spent some time preparing generic examples I could do much better, but I don't know if enough to justify another test. Do you think it's worth it to retake it? My unweighted GPA is only 3.45, so I'm not sure if doing better will be of any help, because my GPA might just be a bottleneck for scores any higher. Some colleges don't do score choice, and I want to keep my options open, so if I take it again I'll have to study so I don't end up doing worse the second time. If you have any insight, please share.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2013 6:01:53 PM
What does a GPA of 3.45 translate to in percentages?
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2013 6:03:05 PM
At 6/22/2013 6:01:53 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

Do you mean class rank or grade percent average? I'm unsure on both :P
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2013 6:05:11 PM
At 6/22/2013 6:03:05 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 6/22/2013 6:01:53 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

Do you mean class rank or grade percent average? I'm unsure on both :P

A 3.5 is the equivalent to half A's and half B's if that helps.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2013 6:36:13 PM
In that situation, I would retake it. I think that you should try to get in the 700's in all areas, and the essay section should be at least a 10. Those are my standards though. However, if you only have a 3.45, and want to get into some higher end schools, you might want to hit the math books. Most of them just look at math and writing, I think.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2013 6:36:44 PM
At 6/22/2013 6:36:13 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
In that situation, I would retake it. I think that you should try to get in the 700's in all areas, and the essay section should be at least a 10. Those are my standards though. However, if you only have a 3.45, and want to get into some higher end schools, you might want to hit the math books. A lot of them just look at math and writing, I think.

fixed
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2013 6:43:06 PM
In that situation, I would retake it. I think that you should try to get in the 700's in all areas, and the essay section should be at least a 10. Those are my standards though. However, if you only have a 3.45, and want to get into some higher end schools, you might want to hit the math books. Most of them just look at math and writing, I think.

Yeah, that's what I was shooting for :/I definitely think I can get writing to 700 or above (it was SO close as it is), and I probably could with math. Oh, and it's math and reading that schools focus more on. Some schools don't even consider the writing section in the admissions process.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2013 10:31:55 PM
At 6/22/2013 6:43:06 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

Yeah, that's what I was shooting for :/I definitely think I can get writing to 700 or above (it was SO close as it is), and I probably could with math. Oh, and it's math and reading that schools focus more on. Some schools don't even consider the writing section in the admissions process.

Most dont, because the writing section is pretty stupid. And they also dont really care about the difference between 690 and 700..I know it seems like a huge leap but admissions officers know better. Honestly just retake it if you want to (I'm a weirdo who enjoys standardized tests) but no offense that GPA is gonna keep you from schools where a high SAT would help a lot unless your school practices some serious grade deflation. Unless a University you're looking at and can get into has some kind of scholarship you can get from getting your SAT score any higher I would say dont bother unless you want to for your own purposes. You can always try the ACT as well
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2013 12:29:39 AM
At 6/22/2013 10:31:55 PM, thett3 wrote:

Most dont, because the writing section is pretty stupid. And they also dont really care about the difference between 690 and 700..I know it seems like a huge leap but admissions officers know better. Honestly just retake it if you want to (I'm a weirdo who enjoys standardized tests) but no offense that GPA is gonna keep you from schools where a high SAT would help a lot unless your school practices some serious grade deflation. Unless a University you're looking at and can get into has some kind of scholarship you can get from getting your SAT score any higher I would say dont bother unless you want to for your own purposes. You can always try the ACT as well

It probably has a huge psychological difference though for admission officers. And I really don't think they "know better". They're human and also going though hundreds of applications, so they're not being super through.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2013 12:37:01 AM
At 6/23/2013 12:29:39 AM, darkkermit wrote:

It probably has a huge psychological difference though for admission officers. And I really don't think they "know better". They're human and also going though hundreds of applications, so they're not being super through.

Yeah, it's also annoying that my composite score was just 10 points shy from 2100. It has a certain ring to it that 2090 just doesn't have. But some of the colleges I'm looking at don't even consider writing, and 1400 (730+670) sounds decent.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2013 12:41:09 AM
At 6/23/2013 12:37:01 AM, dylancatlow wrote:

Yeah, it's also annoying that my composite score was just 10 points shy from 2100. It has a certain ring to it that 2090 just doesn't have. But some of the colleges I'm looking at don't even consider writing, and 1400 (730+670) sounds decent.

Is there a particular reach school you're going for? It all depends on what school you plan on going to whether ti matters or not. Although some schools give scholarships if you do better on your SATs.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2013 12:52:55 AM
At 6/23/2013 12:41:09 AM, darkkermit wrote:
At 6/23/2013 12:37:01 AM, dylancatlow wrote:

Is there a particular reach school you're going for? It all depends on what school you plan on going to whether ti matters or not. Although some schools give scholarships if you do better on your SATs.

I'm trying to stay in-state (Oregon) as much as possible. But I wouldn't mind going out of state either. University of Oregon is not reach, but it's appealing for it's location (I live in Eugene already). It would also be a lot less expensive than most of my other options, and offers a fine education for those we seek it. I don't have my sights set on any particular college, though. Do you know of any good colleges who wouldn't mind as much a 3.45 gpa?
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2013 2:59:36 PM

Not really considering that most dont even look at the writing section (because it's stupid). His old SAT score of 1400 passes the psychological borderline
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2013 3:16:34 PM
Definitely retake it. Regardless of what college you're going to, a higher SAT could make you eligible for merit scholarships, and if you have astounding ECs (astounding meaning, they show a load of commitment and achievement) then a high SAT would compensate for a not so high GPA, and perhaps you could take a look at Georgetown, Northwestern, UCLA etc.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2013 5:05:59 PM
At 6/23/2013 3:16:34 PM, 000ike wrote:
Definitely retake it. Regardless of what college you're going to, a higher SAT could make you eligible for merit scholarships, and if you have astounding ECs (astounding meaning, they show a load of commitment and achievement) then a high SAT would compensate for a not so high GPA, and perhaps you could take a look at Georgetown, Northwestern, UCLA etc.

Thanks. I'll definitely take that into consideration.