Jump to topic:

Moral Dilemma

benevolent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2013 12:55:31 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Say, someone's horse just escaped and walked right past someone's window so that they could see it on its way to the main road. Would it be immoral to do nothing about it? as early in the morning as 7 am, say? And, well, the horse has a right to be free, too, no?

(No horse has actually escaped; there was just some crows outside my window mimicking a horse.)
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2013 1:02:23 AM
At 6/24/2013 12:55:31 AM, benevolent wrote:
Say, someone's horse just escaped and walked right past someone's window so that they could see it on its way to the main road. Would it be immoral to do nothing about it? as early in the morning as 7 am, say? And, well, the horse has a right to be free, too, no?

(No horse has actually escaped; there was just some crows outside my window mimicking a horse.)

I would say that depends on several factors; do you KNOW that it escaped? Is this a societal group where people are expected to help one another (e.g. a small town)?

Many moral decisions are relative to the information the person has, and the society the person is in. For example, I doubt anyone would say someone has a moral obligation to let their nemesis know something has happened. At the same time, lying about it is probably not kosher.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
benevolent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2013 1:13:18 AM
At 6/24/2013 1:02:23 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:

I would say that depends on several factors; do you KNOW that it escaped? Is this a societal group where people are expected to help one another (e.g. a small town)?

Many moral decisions are relative to the information the person has, and the society the person is in. For example, I doubt anyone would say someone has a moral obligation to let their nemesis know something has happened. At the same time, lying about it is probably not kosher.

The hypothetical horse in question would be my horse, and so yes, I KNOW it has escaped. And yes, he has hypothetically escaped into a societal group where people are expected to help one another. And so it is morally wrong, then, not to inform people that my horse has hypothetically escaped, or perhaps that my hypothetical horse has escaped?
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2013 3:38:25 AM
At 6/24/2013 1:13:18 AM, benevolent wrote:
At 6/24/2013 1:02:23 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:

The hypothetical horse in question would be my horse, and so yes, I KNOW it has escaped. And yes, he has hypothetically escaped into a societal group where people are expected to help one another. And so it is morally wrong, then, not to inform people that my horse has hypothetically escaped, or perhaps that my hypothetical horse has escaped?

Wait, perhaps I didn't understand; are you asking about whether you morally should tell people "hey, my horse is loose, watch out!" or "Hey, your horse got loose, you should probably catch it before it disappears"?
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2013 3:40:48 AM
Yes, it's immoral. There's no moral system which I can consider, short of arbitrary rights systems, where you ought not to. You'd want people to tell you if your pet/property was going to be broken, surely?
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2013 3:45:21 AM
At 6/24/2013 3:40:48 AM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
Yes, it's immoral. There's no moral system which I can consider, short of arbitrary rights systems, where you ought not to. You'd want people to tell you if your pet/property was going to be broken, surely?

Assuming we're talking about "Xs horse is loose, should I tell him its loose", and ignoring the potential for "Xs horse might break Ys property", do you really think that if I have an ongoing adversarial relationship with X, I owe him effort on his behalf? In general, I would think that, while it would certainly be morally right to tell them, it wouldn't necessarily be wrong not to.
benevolent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2013 3:46:44 AM

Damn.
benevolent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2013 3:47:23 AM
At 6/24/2013 3:45:21 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:

Assuming we're talking about "Xs horse is loose, should I tell him its loose", and ignoring the potential for "Xs horse might break Ys property", do you really think that if I have an ongoing adversarial relationship with X, I owe him effort on his behalf? In general, I would think that, while it would certainly be morally right to tell them, it wouldn't necessarily be wrong not to.

No wait... go on.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2013 3:49:23 AM
At 6/24/2013 3:47:23 AM, benevolent wrote:

No wait... go on.

On about what?
benevolent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2013 3:52:59 AM
At 6/24/2013 3:49:23 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:

No wait... go on.

On about what?

hypothetical horses
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2013 3:54:18 AM
At 6/24/2013 3:52:59 AM, benevolent wrote:

No wait... go on.

On about what?

hypothetical horses

Well, yes, that's the topic. But I'm saying was there something specific about what I said you wanted me to expand on?
benevolent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2013 3:55:33 AM
At 6/24/2013 3:54:18 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 6/24/2013 3:52:59 AM, benevolent wrote:

No wait... go on.

On about what?

hypothetical horses

Well, yes, that's the topic. But I'm saying was there something specific about what I said you wanted me to expand on?

No, I just wanted to say hypothetical horses again.