Jump to topic:

DDO activity

Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 12:13:59 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I just realised my DDO activity is directly proportional to the load of work have to complete. DDO is a procrastination machine.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 12:42:57 AM
Haha when I joined DDO, I was in my finals week and I had 5 debates ongoing.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 12:49:21 AM
At 6/28/2013 12:42:57 AM, ClassicRobert wrote:
Haha when I joined DDO, I was in my finals week and I had 5 debates ongoing.

There is something good to procrastination. It gives the brain time to have a creative "Aha!" moment.
Tsar of DDO
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 10:37:42 PM
I don't need to procrastinate. No responsibilities, no worries. I'm freeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE (for the next few weeks)!
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 11:12:55 PM
At 6/28/2013 12:54:51 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
I made a breakthrough last semester where I conquered procrastination. Stayfocussed helped me with that.

Please share how you achieved such a feat.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 11:20:48 PM
I made a breakthrough last semester where I conquered procrastination. Stayfocussed helped me with that.

Off topic but I really want to cling with my previously held belief that yer fifteen. I have a mental block that's keeping me from accepting yer age.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 11:56:04 PM
At 6/28/2013 11:12:55 PM, Contra wrote:

Please share how you achieved such a feat.

1) I stopped using firefox for a while and decided to only use chrome. Everytime, I was on DDO for more than 5 hours a day, the stayfocussed screen would up preventing me from accessing DDO any more. I started to manage time more effectively and did not log onto DDO knowing the there is a timer set and if I spent too much time, I wouldn't be able to log on later on in the day.

2) I learned how the psychology of procrastination works (http://www.sas.calpoly.edu...). The article explains it very well. Everytime I wanted to stop studying and log on to DDO and waste time, I would re-read the article again and go right back to studying.

3) I changed my environment. Instead of studying at home, I would go to the computer lab at my university and use the computers there to write programs and run them. Computer programming is such that while it may be difficult to get started, I don't like being interrupted. Once I am halfway through a program, I would keep working on it till it is finished. For instance, I reach the lab at 11AM. I start writing a program. I wouldn't want to get up until it is done and is running properly. Checking DDO also declined because of the discomfort in playing mafia while people walk around the lab. It just feels weird explaining to anyone why I am posting on forums instead of working so I started doing it a little more covertly and covering my tracks which decreased the total amount of time spent on DDO.

So, essentially it came down to using a tool to limit time spent wasted on DDO, understanding the psychology behind procrastination and having the article bookmarked to remind me each time I went astray, and changing my environment to make it more conducive to work. While it seemed at first as though I was forcing external motivation rather than internal - which was why I initially resisted changing my environment (I believed motivation should be internal), - the choice to change my environment is something I consciously made every day. No one forced me to sit in a place where I would be uncomfortable playing forum games. I simply chose to do so. Ultimately that is what worked.

To add to that, once I got halfway through a program and had to leave the lab, that was the only thing I could think of, so I immediately started working on it even after returning home.
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2013 9:53:39 AM
Hahahaha, increasing the time limit on that app is the funniest thing ever. Especially if you've less than 3 minutes left.
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2013 10:35:37 PM
At 6/28/2013 11:20:48 PM, Noumena wrote:

Off topic but I really want to cling with my previously held belief that yer fifteen. I have a mental block that's keeping me from accepting yer age.

How did you get such an impression?
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2013 10:45:33 PM
At 7/1/2013 10:35:37 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
At 6/28/2013 11:20:48 PM, Noumena wrote:

How did you get such an impression?

No idea. I just always thought he was a young (albeit bright) teenager.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.