Total Posts:43|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

I'm Screwed in Terms of a Career, Aren't I?

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 12:11:46 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I basically wanted to create this topic for advice/what-have-you about careers. Yes. Another one. Yay?

Basically, I've kind of come to the conclusion that I'm absolutely screwed in terms of being able to get a job, or career, or really, in general, sustaining myself.

Why? Well, really, everything that I have passion for is entirely unmarketable or unusable in the "real world."

First and foremost, I have an absolute love for English and writing, which would lead me to major at least for one degree (I already am planning to double major) in English: specifically, Creative Writing. I can already here the shrieks of disapproval. I realize the near-impossibility of getting anywhere as an author of really anything. I thought maybe Creative Writing COULD be marketable for communications and such in the corporate world, but for some reason I think that's too optimistic.

Okay, now that we've got the obviously stupid major thrown out there for all to see, there are other possibilities to accompany it. However, none of them still are "marketable." I'd be interested in doing something with Politics, Poli Sci, or Govt. Or maybe that special Philosophy, Politics, and Economics degree. But, you get the gist I hope: something in that government/politics/urban studies/etc. area.

So basically: are those two interests AT ALL salvageable as paths to careers, jobs, or really to anything that will keep me alive, housed, fed, and clothed?

Alternatively: are there any majors or career fields that you may suggest that may cater to these interests?

And, if you're wondering why not just do something else: not to go down the schmaltzy, namby-pamby, emotional pathway, I really just don't want to study something that I'm not actually interested in to get a fistful of dollars. It's just not worth it to me because (I'll never forgive myself for this) YOLO.

Oh, and in terms of money: notice that I don't say high-paying. Ideally, I'd like to live comfortably, but I'm not planning on really living "fancy." I don't plan to ever own a house, for instance. I really just want to live somewhat comfortably without having to curl up in a ball and sob every time I get a bill in the mail.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 12:22:38 PM
At 6/28/2013 12:17:38 PM, benevolent wrote:
Marry into wealth.

I ain't sayin' he a gold digger/ but he ain't messin' with no broke...
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 12:24:25 PM
You could work in political campaigns or as a speech writer. Economist is a comfortable job, and economics majors can also work in business consulting, etc. My brother was an economics major and he works as a consultant for IBM. I would recommend learning spanish though... It makes you way more marketable.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 12:26:26 PM
At 6/28/2013 12:24:25 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
You could work in political campaigns or as a speech writer. Economist is a comfortable job, and economics majors can also work in business consulting, etc. My brother was an economics major and he works as a consultant for IBM. I would recommend learning spanish though... It makes you way more marketable.

I'm semi-fluent in Spanish already. So...yay?

ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 12:31:02 PM
At 6/28/2013 12:26:26 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 6/28/2013 12:24:25 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:

I'm semi-fluent in Spanish already. So...yay?

Yay.

Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 12:38:30 PM
Writing+politics+economics+philosophy+government= Law
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 12:40:05 PM
At 6/28/2013 12:11:46 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

Oh, and in terms of money: notice that I don't say high-paying.

felt that all the way over here.

Why don't you strive to become a teacher or professor?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 12:44:01 PM
At 6/28/2013 12:38:30 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Writing+politics+economics+philosophy+government= Law

Noooooooooooooooo *imagine the "no" is said a la Darth Vader finding out Padme died*!

I mean, I've thought about it, and am considering it again. But that market seems so horrifyingly saturated and debt-ridden that I imagine it to be like a wasteland that should be labelled "Here be dragons."

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 12:50:19 PM
At 6/28/2013 12:40:05 PM, 000ike wrote:

I've considered that too. Not sure exactly how well I'd do at that, however. Also, doesn't it seem a bit...pointless...to study something like, say, Creative Writing or Politics with the sole goal of teaching it to others? Jus' saying.

If it seems like I'm just rejecting everything, I'm not. I'm just kind of prodding stuff/sharing the conclusions I'VE reached about stuff.

Also, whaddaya mean by that bolded stuff?

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 12:51:34 PM
At 6/28/2013 12:50:19 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

I've considered that too. Not sure exactly how well I'd do at that, however. Also, doesn't it seem a bit...pointless...to study something like, say, Creative Writing or Politics with the sole goal of teaching it to others? Jus' saying.

If it seems like I'm just rejecting everything, I'm not. I'm just kind of prodding stuff/sharing the conclusions I'VE reached about stuff.

I was just kidding, but "high paying" was the exact term I used that was mocked by some people in my thread.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 12:53:00 PM
At 6/28/2013 12:51:34 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 6/28/2013 12:50:19 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

I was just kidding, but "high paying" was the exact term I used that was mocked by some people in my thread.

Oh. lol. Yeah, that wasn't meant to be a dig or anything. I was just trying to be clear.

Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 12:55:55 PM
Take a double major in poli sci and finance (not economics). From there, you can go virtually anywhere, be it business, finance, politics, or (if you change your mind) law.

The reason why you should take finance instead of economics is that finance is vastly more marketable and deals with tangible real world circumstances that can be applied in all businesses. Economics deals more with economic theory, which is only useful if you're high up in politics as an economic advisor.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 12:57:44 PM
In terms of getting a job in journalism or writing, I don't think that's all too impossible. Especially if you put the work and effort into it. For example, writing for the school paper. You can always blog or self-publish yourself using Amazon Kindle. Of course part of the problem with blogs and books is that it's something that one would call a "winner takes all market". What that basically means is that there are a few blogs or books in which a lot of people read while many that few people read. There's very little cost in producing an extra viewer for a book or blog, so it becomes a competition in which who can get the most views, and the more views one has, the more valuable it becomes. However,

You can major in another field and still do work in journalism or writing. My brother for example, was actually a computer science and biology major and he was able to get an interview with ESPN. My older brother though went to an ivy league school and the college radio station is actually pretty popular state wide (i listen to it because its a good station), and he did sports casting for the station.

However, I think that if you are able to show employers your writing work, previous jobs, and work experience than your major won't matter nearly as much. For example, John Stossel wasn't a journalist major, he was a psychology major. However, it seems like the one factor that stands out is getting into a prestige school and not necessarily one's major.

But I think trying to give it a shot is a good idea even if you fail. If its what you love to do, it shouldn't matter whether your able to get a full-time job in it or not.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 12:59:08 PM
At 6/28/2013 12:55:55 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Take a double major in poli sci and finance (not economics). From there, you can go virtually anywhere, be it business, finance, politics, or (if you change your mind) law.

The reason why you should take finance instead of economics is that finance is vastly more marketable and deals with tangible real world circumstances that can be applied in all businesses. Economics deals more with economic theory, which is only useful if you're high up in politics as an economic advisor.

But that involves numbers, and numbers are gross.

lol. But seriously--how mathematically involved is Finance? I would assume it's heavily involved, but the major strikes me as broad, depending on concentration? Ideally I'd like to minimize how much math I need to be involved with. I'm not bad with mathematics, but it just annoys me.

Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 1:02:13 PM
At 6/28/2013 12:59:08 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 6/28/2013 12:55:55 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

But that involves numbers, and numbers are gross.

lol. But seriously--how mathematically involved is Finance? I would assume it's heavily involved, but the major strikes me as broad, depending on concentration? Ideally I'd like to minimize how much math I need to be involved with. I'm not bad with mathematics, but it just annoys me.

As far as I can tell, finance is entirely math.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 1:04:41 PM
At 6/28/2013 1:01:38 PM, darkkermit wrote:
DN, if you don't like math you shouldn't even think about majoring in economics. lulz.

I actually wasn't.

Let me be clear now for once and for all:

I never actually wanted to major in Economics. The Politics, Philosophy, and Economics major I was just interested in because it provided a more rounded course of study while still being mostly humanities-based.

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 1:07:22 PM
At 6/28/2013 1:06:14 PM, benevolent wrote:
What about psychology or something like that? Everyone is mental.

That too was something I was interested in.

Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 1:10:51 PM
At 6/28/2013 1:07:22 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

Psychology, although mostly a pseudoscience, seems like it would work for somebody with your interests. Judging by your liking of politics and government, group psychology would probably fit nicely.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 1:14:05 PM
At 6/28/2013 1:10:51 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 6/28/2013 1:07:22 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

Psychology, although mostly a pseudoscience, seems like it would work for somebody with your interests. Judging by your liking of politics and government, group psychology would probably fit nicely.

It also doesn't have much job prospect besides careers where they only care about the degree and not the major. Unless you want to go for your masters or doctorate.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
benevolent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 1:16:46 PM
Actually, the job prospects aren't that bad. It's becoming quite a big thing as regards safety in industry.
benevolent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 1:24:49 PM
At 6/28/2013 1:16:46 PM, benevolent wrote:
Actually, the job prospects aren't that bad. It's becoming quite a big thing as regards safety in industry.

I guess maybe they're just looking for the degree and not the major here? Not really sure what that means. But regardless, it's a field of study that can support itself pretty well.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 2:29:09 PM
At 6/28/2013 2:17:58 PM, sadolite wrote:
Eh your seventeen Bwahhahahahahahahahah

Ya your life is pretty much over kill yourself before you become a burden

Your already an old man
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 2:31:06 PM
At 6/28/2013 2:29:09 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 6/28/2013 2:17:58 PM, sadolite wrote:
Eh your seventeen Bwahhahahahahahahahah

Ya your life is pretty much over kill yourself before you become a burden

Your already an old man

The average person has to start their life over from scratch 3 times in their lifetime. You haven't even done it once.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 2:32:55 PM
All these career threads just depress me, since I know it is going to be really tough to make the choice in the future, and it is not far away...
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
benevolent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 2:45:36 PM
At 6/28/2013 2:32:55 PM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:
All these career threads just depress me, since I know it is going to be really tough to make the choice in the future, and it is not far away...

Prostitution is the way of the future.
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 2:47:39 PM
At 6/28/2013 2:45:36 PM, benevolent wrote:
At 6/28/2013 2:32:55 PM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:

Prostitution is the way of the future.

I'd rather not.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac