Jump to topic:

The Rules

Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 10:31:00 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I've only been around for 21 years now, and it is only in the last year or two that I have, on the basis of that life experience I do possess, compiled a list of heuristics which I recite to myself in certain scenarios or sets of circumstances to assist me in navigating my world effectively. I'm not really looking for additions or suggestions, because the meta-rule is that only those rules which I extract from my own experiences are admissible, but I felt unusually compelled to share these. The list is short, reflecting my own persisting inexperience, but here it is, in order of their formulation:

1. People are stupid.
2. Stay hydrated.
3. x = n + 1
4. Zero fucks.
5. Whatever works.
6. Be prepared.
7. Pick your battles.
8. Be patient.
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 10:35:30 PM
'Don't reduce life to arbitrary generalizations based on social or cultural experiences.'
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 10:41:33 PM
At 6/28/2013 10:35:30 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
'Don't reduce life to arbitrary generalizations based on social or cultural experiences.'

A couple problems with that interpretation: first, they're not arbitrary, which is given by the fact that they're put together on the basis of experience--observational, conversational, and empirical (in the sense of extensive research). Arbitrary means that they're unwarranted or without reason. Second, they supplement my life, not reduce it, so it isn't as if I walk around thinking "Man, how can I apply the rules to this situation?"
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 10:54:34 PM
At 6/28/2013 10:35:30 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:

Another thing, now that I think of it, is that only Rule 1 is a generalization, and I'm sure you're more familiar than I about the ways in which contemporary cognitive and behavioral psychology seem to support the hypothesis of pervasive human irrationality. The others are more about my form of life.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 10:59:01 PM
I think I'm with you on da rules. Six is a strong weak point though.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
benevolent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 11:00:01 PM
the rule in ireland is that you will feel the brunt of a fist and be the better for it. it will enlighten you. we're bred into racism, town rivalry, that brings us together later on in life, builds bonds between us, gives us things to make up over, things to laugh with each other about later in life, things to be sad with each other about later in life. we're bred into community.

people say we're f*cked up and nuts and whatever, but i think they're wrong. i think the fist smashing into your face shows you what true competition is without ending your life then and there and we're he wiser for it. i think we're allowed a perspective in life that not many others are afforded. i think we're just coping with the rest of you.

and then we're all older, our child's play is over, and we'll all meet in the pub every friday or saturday night as brothers and sisters, as irish. we are the true mater race. everyone knows everyone, no man is an island.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 11:02:39 PM
At 6/28/2013 10:59:01 PM, Noumena wrote:

I'd disagree. The rules are tempered by internal mental mechanics--I know precisely what I mean when I say it to myself, and I imagine the decision-contexts in which the question appears of the rule's applicability are such that it wouldn't be a weak point in the way you might be thinking.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 11:04:54 PM
At 6/28/2013 11:02:39 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

I'd disagree. The rules are tempered by internal mental mechanics--I know precisely what I mean when I say it to myself, and I imagine the decision-contexts in which the question appears of the rule's applicability are such that it wouldn't be a weak point in the way you might be thinking.

I think I'm confused. I was pointing out that I'm not great with six.
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 11:06:07 PM
1. There's only one or a few ways to get it right, and an infinite ways to fvck it up.
2. Some people are just absolutely sh1tty ppl. (Alternative: people will always behave a certain way and there's nothing you can do to change that)
3. If people have an incentive to lie, don't expect them to be telling the truth.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 11:07:28 PM
At 6/28/2013 11:04:54 PM, Noumena wrote:

My mistake: I thought you were claiming Rule 6 was a weak link in the list, not that you didn't reliably live that way.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 11:10:57 PM
At 6/28/2013 11:07:28 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

My mistake: I thought you were claiming Rule 6 was a weak link in the list, not that you didn't reliably live that way.

"communication is crucial though usually muddy"
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 11:12:40 PM
At 6/28/2013 11:10:57 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 6/28/2013 11:07:28 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

"communication is crucial though usually muddy"

Actually, it's just Rule 1. The beauty of it is that it's applicable to everyone, including myself, which makes it impossible for me to wave it around as if I'm better than everyone else.