: thett was right
Poetaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2013 2:23:38 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I disagree.
"The book you are looking for hasn't been written yet. What you are looking for you are going to have to find yourself, it's not going to be in a book..." -Sidewalker
benevolent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2013 3:34:55 PM
You could've made a decent "philosophy of argument" thread with this maybe.

Argument = War, as per Metaphors We Live by, and it's retarded.
Poetaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2013 5:20:47 PM
At 7/1/2013 3:34:55 PM, benevolent wrote:

I'm willing to engage in that topic.
But are you impugning formal philosophical argumentation, or generic human quarrels? The latter variety of dispute are, to be sure, ugly and vociferous little creatures. But I must take issue with your characterization if you also intend its application to proper dialectic.
"The book you are looking for hasn't been written yet. What you are looking for you are going to have to find yourself, it's not going to be in a book..." -Sidewalker
benevolent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2013 5:34:49 PM
At 7/1/2013 5:20:47 PM, Poetaster wrote:

But are you impugning formal philosophical argumentation, or generic human quarrels? The latter variety of dispute are, to be sure, ugly and vociferous little creatures. But I must take issue with your characterization if you also intend its application to proper dialectic.

They're one and the same, though, for most people. Consider the dialogue of even formal argumentation. You "attack" someone's argument, "concede" a point, etc. Spreading awareness of this might be rather beneficial to us. As is, people aren't very willing to correct their views, because, perhaps, this is death.
benevolent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2013 5:39:51 PM
That "argument" itself is applied to both situations, too, is probably counterproductive. What if we associated such discourses as are necessary with something more positive?
MassiveDump
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2013 5:52:28 PM
At 7/1/2013 5:34:49 PM, benevolent wrote:

They're one and the same, though, for most people. Consider the dialogue of even formal argumentation. You "attack" someone's argument, "concede" a point, etc. Spreading awareness of this might be rather beneficial to us. As is, people aren't very willing to correct their views, because, perhaps, this is death.

Oh, benevolent!

I disagree!
*drives off*
benevolent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2013 5:52:40 PM
Metaphors We Live By is a book dylancatlow suggested me by the way, and it's fascinating; though, eerily, I stopped reading at 10%... I'm thinking I might have some reprogramming to do.
benevolent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2013 5:53:45 PM
At 7/1/2013 5:52:28 PM, MassiveDump wrote:

Oh, benevolent!

I disagree!
*drives off*

*shouts after MassiveDump: "You ginger f*ck!!"*
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2013 6:21:29 PM
At 7/1/2013 5:53:45 PM, benevolent wrote:
At 7/1/2013 5:52:28 PM, MassiveDump wrote:

Oh, benevolent!

I disagree!
*drives off*

*shouts after MassiveDump: "You ginger f*ck!!"*

I lol'd
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
Poetaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2013 8:11:41 PM

But if people aren't willing to correct their views in the present state, how can you hope that realizing this metaphor will cause people to move away from that state by correcting their present views? It would seem to be a non-starter.
benevolent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2013 8:22:56 PM
At 7/1/2013 8:11:41 PM, Poetaster wrote:

But if people aren't willing to correct their views in the present state, how can you hope that realizing this metaphor will cause people to move away from that state by correcting their present views? It would seem to be a non-starter.

Resistance is a common obstacle in hypnosis; hypnotists deal with it by removing the assault element, often themselves; it's possible, just hard. And then what if there never was perceived an assault element; or as regards civilized, open forum discussion anyway?
Poetaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2013 8:56:51 PM
At 7/1/2013 8:22:56 PM, benevolent wrote:
At 7/1/2013 8:11:41 PM, Poetaster wrote:

Resistance is a common obstacle in hypnosis; hypnotists deal with it by removing the assault element, often themselves; it's possible, just hard. And then what if there never was perceived an assault element; or as regards civilized, open forum discussion anyway?

So you suggest a non-discursive reprogramming of conversational participants? Just reach in deep below their substrate of conscious thought and implant a vulnerability to persuasion? Wouldn't this bottom-up restructuring overdetermine the act argumentation and reduce it a frictionless assembly procedure of beliefs, rather than a hard-won decomposition and analysis of them?
benevolent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2013 8:59:41 PM
I had considered it might have a negative impact all right, which was why I specifically referred to open forum debates; but even still, suggesting it might have a very severe negative impact seems to be stretching credulity.
benevolent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2013 8:59:41 PM
I had considered it might have a negative impact all right, which was why I specifically referred to open forum debates; but even still, suggesting it might have a very severe negative impact seems to be stretching credulity.
benevolent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2013 9:05:32 PM
At 7/1/2013 9:01:43 PM, benevolent wrote:
We wont cease to be rational in becoming more cordial.

We may, however, become more rational, I do believe.
Poetaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2013 9:08:13 PM
At 6/6/6 6:66 PM, benevolent wrote:
i think that means god agrees with me

Sorry, it actually means that satan agrees with you. I also couldn't help but notice the date and time of your quote on this very post.

^^COINCIDENCE? NO: SATAN.
benevolent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2013 9:10:08 PM
At 7/1/2013 9:08:13 PM, Poetaster wrote:
At 6/6/6 6:66 PM, benevolent wrote:
i think that means god agrees with me

Sorry, it actually means that satan agrees with you. I also couldn't help but notice the date and time of your quote on this very post.

^^COINCIDENCE? NO: SATAN.

well f*ck it anyway
Poetaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2013 9:13:13 PM
At 7/1/2013 8:59:41 PM, benevolent wrote:

Ok, now in all seriousness, what negative impacts are you talking about? Those pertaining to the hypnotic reprogramming you alluded to earlier?
benevolent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2013 9:16:29 PM
At 7/1/2013 9:13:13 PM, Poetaster wrote:

Ok, now in all seriousness, what negative impacts are you talking about? Those pertaining to the hypnotic reprogramming you alluded to earlier?

Well the one you were talking about: the stagnation of argument, increasing gullibility.

Side note: I was here for exactly when you posted, 0 seconds. God is telling me to keep it up, I'm doing good work.
benevolent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2013 9:20:42 PM
I actually hadn't considered the stagnation of argument and was thinking more on a personal level, but again, thinking we'd be left less rational seems to stretch credulity.
benevolent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2013 9:22:32 PM
I'm just talking about fostering a greater want in people for reconciliation; it needn't necessarily come with any negatives.
Poetaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2013 9:39:37 PM
At 7/1/2013 9:16:29 PM, benevolent wrote:

Well the one you were talking about: the stagnation of argument, increasing gullibility.

My suggestion was that bottom-up reprogramming would nullify argumentation entirely; discourse and dialectic would cease to exist as a meaningful exercise, and persuasive acts would be trivialized. All of these are, in varying but congruent ways, top-down exercises in which attitudes and convictions are mutated by exposure to critical scrutiny and decompositional sense-making activities.

A problem which inheres to this kind of exercise is that, for some two positions with sufficiently few premises in common between them, there will exist no effective strategy of persuasion available to either party: the discourse is still-born. There is no way to inaugurate such a conversation sensibly, and it is in such cases that the argument often becomes war in the literal sense: a visceral, large-scale form of ad hominem.

Side note: I was here for exactly when you posted, 0 seconds. God is telling me to keep it up, I'm doing good work.
benevolent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2013 9:45:49 PM
At 7/1/2013 9:39:37 PM, Poetaster wrote:

My suggestion was that bottom-up reprogramming would nullify argumentation entirely; discourse and dialectic would cease to exist as a meaningful exercise, and persuasive acts would be trivialized. All of these are, in varying but congruent ways, top-down exercises in which attitudes and convictions are mutated by exposure to critical scrutiny and decompositional sense-making activities.

A problem which inheres to this kind of exercise is that, for some two positions with sufficiently few premises in common between them, there will exist no effective strategy of persuasion available to either party: the discourse is still-born. There is no way to inaugurate such a conversation sensibly, and it is in such cases that the argument often becomes war in the literal sense: a visceral, large-scale form of ad hominem.

this is what i'm talking about stretching credulity dude. and your war exists now. sorry to reply so flippantly, but i don't really have anything more to say.

except: stop resisting me bro :3
Poetaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2013 9:57:40 PM
At 7/1/2013 9:45:49 PM, benevolent wrote:
At 7/1/2013 9:39:37 PM, Poetaster wrote:

this is what i'm talking about stretching credulity dude. and your war exists now. sorry to reply so flippantly, but i don't really have anything more to say.

except: stop resisting me bro :3

What do you mean in saying that I'm stretching "credibility"?

Are you implying that my intentions are hostile? Be assured to the contrary.
benevolent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2013 9:58:31 PM
oh sorry, i responded much too flippantly... i'm just talking at you at this stage i guess. hypocritical of me maybe :P i'ma leave it at this for the night, i'll reply tomorrow maybe.