Jump to topic:

Passion

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2013 9:34:08 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
What are you most passionate about? Do you regard it as an important part of your character? Do you strive to be more passionate?
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2013 11:57:27 PM
I hate people who take international law as axiomatic, and I struggle against their nonsense with all of my might. I have absolutely no tolerance for it.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 12:22:26 AM
At 7/3/2013 9:34:08 PM, FREEDO wrote:
What are you most passionate about? Do you regard it as an important part of your character? Do you strive to be more passionate?

I am passionate about politics, political theory/philosophy, international politics and the like. I'm also passionate about food, cooking, and morality/ethics.

My values, principles, ideals and standards define my character.

Yes and no. When I was in classes and teaching regularly, it was literally my reason to get out of bed in the morning... that has rather changed now.
Tsar of DDO
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 12:25:26 AM
I'm passionate about people and humanity as a whole. I love studying us, our politics, our world, the human condition itself, everything.

Not to get too sappy, but that Discovery Channel song really sums it up. Especially the end: "I love the whole world. It's such a brilliant place."
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 4:08:36 AM
I'm passionate about the focuses in my life; my relationships, career and my hobbies. Strangely (For a DDO member I suppose) I'm not that passionate about my opinions or outlook on most things. But I'm passionate about constantly learning and being a decent person.
Debate.org Moderator
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 4:22:04 AM
At 7/4/2013 4:08:36 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
I'm passionate about the focuses in my life; my relationships, career and my hobbies. Strangely (For a DDO member I suppose) I'm not that passionate about my opinions or outlook on most things. But I'm passionate about constantly learning and being a decent person.

I'ma jack this like a bike and say I'm much the same way senor
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 10:17:20 AM
I am strongly passionate about political and economic debate, and my opinion in those areas.

Additionally, I am passionate about running, having the right haircut and completing the tasks I set out to do.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 10:23:33 AM
At 7/4/2013 10:17:20 AM, Contra wrote:
I am strongly passionate about political and economic debate, and my opinion in those areas.

Additionally, I am passionate about running, having the right haircut and completing the tasks I set out to do.

I love how general your passions were, and then having the right haircut.

It reminds me of this scene from Curb Your Enthusiasm.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 10:34:38 AM
I'm mostly passionate against things, than for them.

against - social unfairness & political unfairness

for - music, I guess
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 10:48:32 AM
At 7/3/2013 9:34:08 PM, FREEDO wrote:
What are you most passionate about?

Ultimate, reading, self-improvement and self-acceptance (paradox), music (especially my proficiency on guitar and ukulele), business, pick up, sex, and making people smile.

Do you regard it as an important part of your character?

Yes, passion changes everything.

Do you strive to be more passionate?

Yes, and the best way I've found is the following:
1. Fall in love with the passion and paint the picture of where dedication to it will lead you. That way every step along the way is working toward that picture, making it easier to pursue, as long as you believe it is possible.
2. Make time for that passion, and DO NOT miss the time to work on that passion. The hardest part is not doing the passion itself, but rather making time for it.
3. Be intelligent about your growth in the passion, always look for the next level in it. This passion of improving your passions will pervade every aspect of your being, people will sense it, and you will be more fulfilled as a result.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 11:42:04 AM
What a deep post WSA. Thank you.

And DetectableNinja, yeah sometimes I might get obsessive. It defines who I am. It shows me as dedicated, serious, diplomatic, yet controlled.

You can probably imagine now.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 11:48:00 AM
I don't think I'm passionate about anything. There are occasionally things which temporarily arouse my interest, but it's more a transient curiosity than a passion. I'd actually say one of my most consistent traits is my imparticularity. I'm not exceptionally choosey or demanding about my station, and I often prefer to be sort of passive and self-subordinating, not because I'm easy to push around, but because it confers on those preferences I do express a certain weight and urgency which is, I have observed, unusually difficult to ignore. I think it's not uninteresting to note an amusing contrast between my approach and WSA's, the latter of which sounds, no offense meant, much more like a self-help book or a motivational seminar.
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 1:45:27 PM
I'm passionate about my moral values; I will probably always support it and I will never go against it.

I'm passionate about my religion.

I'm passionate in some mission I have to make a good change in the world although I still don't know how I'm going to do that.

I have passion in protecting/helping the ones I love.

I have more, but these four come to my mind directly.
Nolite Timere
Mysterious_Stranger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 3:55:24 PM
I am passionate about crushing the concept of people substituting rational arguments with religious ones, the idea of it infuriates me, as does religion in general.
Turn around, go back.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2013 4:56:17 AM
At 7/4/2013 11:48:00 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
I don't think I'm passionate about anything. There are occasionally things which temporarily arouse my interest, but it's more a transient curiosity than a passion. I'd actually say one of my most consistent traits is my imparticularity. I'm not exceptionally choosey or demanding about my station, and I often prefer to be sort of passive and self-subordinating, not because I'm easy to push around, but because it confers on those preferences I do express a certain weight and urgency which is, I have observed, unusually difficult to ignore. I think it's not uninteresting to note an amusing contrast between my approach and WSA's, the latter of which sounds, no offense meant, much more like a self-help book or a motivational seminar.

I don't believe you.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2013 5:29:34 AM

I would probably describe myself in a similar manner, though not quite as eloquent as this.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2013 5:32:23 AM
At 7/6/2013 5:29:34 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

I would probably describe myself in a similar manner, though not quite as eloquent as this.

Except the lack of passion part. I'm passionate about ideas but I'm not exhibitionist about the passions. There's a time and place for expressing it.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Izazovnog
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 3:52:20 PM
I am very passionate about activity's such as logic and creativity, especially competitive.
Debate! Challenge me, it will be fun!