Jump to topic:

Love Spam on my cell phone

airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2013 1:53:36 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
So I kept getting some random number on my phone which I didn't recognize, so I didn't pick it up. The fact that the number was 7 digits plus an area code, plus a country code also raised a red flag because the person never leaves a voice mail. If it was in fact an out of country call from a friend or family member they would know to leave a voice mail.

So this number has called me about a dozen times over the month and I decided to finally pick it up. All I got was some poor reception and what sounded like someone on the other end but I couldn't understand... So I hung up.

Not 2 minutes later I got the following text:

"Baby this is Blessing please call me I love you and god love you too please...?"

Then the number called back about 10 times over the next 15 minutes. I hung up on them right away with each call and it seems to have stopped now.

I did some research and discovered that this number was coming from Nigeria. Since I don't have any current or former lovers in Nigeria (that I know of... and it's a very good chance I don't) I have concluded this is indeed love spam to my cell phone.

While I have experienced plenty of love spam/Nigeria inheritance scam e-mails and DDO PMs, this is the first time they've ever reached my cell phone.

While I'm not sure how they got my number, there are many people and organizations that have my cell phone number, so it probably was just a matter of time.

Anyways, just thought it was interesting and wanted to vent about it.
Debate.org Moderator

[This Space for rent. Debates/Quotes/Whatever. Restrictions apply. RRs only. PM for details.]
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2013 2:09:31 AM
I received spam calls on my cell a couple of months ago -- the callers were talking gibberish. I never called back, but looked their number up and it happened to be from Morocco. It was reported on the news that these callers want you to call back, which can result in too high bills. Let it be.
drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2013 2:16:45 AM
I find that the most effective way to get rid of illicit phone calls is to simply not answer. Not only does it take more time for whatever machine they use to call you to wait through all of the ringing, but it also makes it seem like your phone is broken or doesn't exist, so it makes your number seem like a double waste of time.
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2013 4:30:25 AM
Just one of the many signs of the apocalypse

*scribbles furiously in secret journal*
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2013 11:28:03 AM
That's hilarious.

But you probably have a Nigerian lover that you just don't want to admit to us.
The wise have eyes in their heads, while the fool walks in the darkness; but I came to realizethat the same fate overtakes them both.
Then I said to myself,
"The fate of the fool will overtake me also.
What then do I gain by being wise?"
I said to myself, "This too is meaningless."
For the wise, like the fool, will not be long remembered;
the days have already come when both have been forgotten.
Like the fool, the wise too must die!
- Ecclesiastes 2:14-16
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2013 9:02:38 PM
At 7/8/2013 11:28:03 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
That's hilarious.

I would've rather kept it private, but...
yang.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2013 9:06:00 PM
At 7/8/2013 9:02:38 PM, tulle wrote:
At 7/8/2013 11:28:03 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
That's hilarious.

I would've rather kept it private, but...

I knew it...

Someone owes me money.
The wise have eyes in their heads, while the fool walks in the darkness; but I came to realizethat the same fate overtakes them both.
Then I said to myself,
1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2013 12:27:57 AM
http://www.scamwatch.gov.au...

" ... Missed call scams start by ringing your phone and hanging up so quickly that you can"t answer the call in time. Your phone registers a missed call and you probably won"t recognise the number. People will often then call the number back to find out who it is. Apart from being a nuisance, the missed call can lead to a scam in two ways:

The number you call back may be redirected to a premium rate service (a number that starts with 190) without your knowledge, which means you will be charged a lot of money per minute.
The number may tell you that you have won a prize of some sort and give you another number to call to "claim" your prize, but they may not tell you how much the call will cost. This second number may be a premium rate number, again charging you a lot of money to get your "prize". Your prize may be nothing more than a ring tone subscription"which can also be a scam!
Text message scams work by sending you a text message from a number you may not recognise, but the content of the message could sound like it"s from a friend"for instance "Hi, it"s John. I"m back! When do you want to catch up?" or "Hey big fella, happy birthday!".

Another common tactic is for a text message to sound like someone flirting with you. Many people reply asking who it is and end up engaging in a lengthy SMS exchange with the scammer. Only later do they find out that they have been charged a high rate both for messages they sent (sometimes there are also charges for messages received as well) ... "

I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2013 11:48:49 AM
At 7/10/2013 12:27:57 AM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:

" ... Missed call scams start by ringing your phone and hanging up so quickly that you can"t answer the call in time. Your phone registers a missed call and you probably won"t recognise the number. People will often then call the number back to find out who it is. Apart from being a nuisance, the missed call can lead to a scam in two ways:

The number you call back may be redirected to a premium rate service (a number that starts with 190) without your knowledge, which means you will be charged a lot of money per minute.
The number may tell you that you have won a prize of some sort and give you another number to call to "claim" your prize, but they may not tell you how much the call will cost. This second number may be a premium rate number, again charging you a lot of money to get your "prize". Your prize may be nothing more than a ring tone subscription"which can also be a scam!
Text message scams work by sending you a text message from a number you may not recognise, but the content of the message could sound like it"s from a friend"for instance "Hi, it"s John. I"m back! When do you want to catch up?" or "Hey big fella, happy birthday!".

Another common tactic is for a text message to sound like someone flirting with you. Many people reply asking who it is and end up engaging in a lengthy SMS exchange with the scammer. Only later do they find out that they have been charged a high rate both for messages they sent (sometimes there are also charges for messages received as well) ... "

Good info... Haven't heard much about this stuff though.

Is it prevalent?
Then I said to myself,
ruthsimmons
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 8:38:54 AM
Thanks for sharing this information. I haven't received a call like that but I'm sure, I'd recognize it as soon as I get one.
ruthsimmons
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 8:54:59 AM
I suggest you report this to Callercenter.com too. Post the phone number and submit a complaint. It would really help if people whose phone call not to accept.