Jump to topic:

Tulle and Maikuru battle it out!

tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 6:42:21 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
So Maikuru and I have decided to videotape ourselves discussing various random topics in 5 minute bursts (or less).

First video: Watch him own me as we discuss whether or not John Locke (from Lost) is a villain.

Second video: Would Hermione have made a better protagonist than Harry Potter?

We also made a video arguing over who was the braver protagonist, Frodo or Harry, but that was too long :p Tell us your thoughts!
yang.
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 6:49:58 PM
will deff be watching this once I can sit down and actually pay attention, for right now though, I'm kinda multi tasking between DDO and other things
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 7:16:37 PM
I watched the Harry Potter one... That was great. Love it.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 7:24:12 PM
At 7/22/2013 7:16:37 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:

yang.
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 7:28:34 PM
i'm sorry but Maikuru wont the "Was Locke a villain?" argument. And he did it in one sentence, LIKE A BAWSS
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 7:33:06 PM
At 7/22/2013 7:28:34 PM, Buddamoose wrote:
i'm sorry but Maikuru wont the "Was Locke a villain?" argument. And he did it in one sentence, LIKE A BAWSS

Yeah, I hadn't actually committed to the stance and I realized very quickly that it was wrong haha.
yang.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 7:38:35 PM
At 7/22/2013 7:24:12 PM, tulle wrote:

I think that in that one, you won. I agree that there definitely needs to be struggle in a character. If the character just knows everything, or even just learns everything the character needs to learn when the character needs to know the information, the character is not main character material.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 7:45:02 PM
At 7/22/2013 7:38:35 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:

I think that in that one, you won. I agree that there definitely needs to be struggle in a character. If the character just knows everything, or even just learns everything the character needs to learn when the character needs to know the information, the character is not main character material.

Yay!

If there's enough interest, we may make more videos.
yang.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 7:56:38 PM
At 7/22/2013 7:45:02 PM, tulle wrote:

Yay!

If there's enough interest, we may make more videos.

I would have watched the Lost one, but I've never seen the show. I assumed it probably wouldn't make sense to me.

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 8:13:04 PM
At 7/22/2013 7:28:34 PM, Buddamoose wrote:

LOL thanks. It helps when the show actually gives you the answer =D
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 8:16:54 PM

She destroyed me with the everyman argument (that she stole from my Friends debate but that's cool, that's cool). If the hero knows everything, the audience is left in the dark.

I'd still prefer to watch Emma Watson but I don't think I'm alone in that.
- lamerde

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 8:26:14 PM
At 7/22/2013 8:24:41 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
I was expecting sex...

Stay tuned.
- lamerde

Cobo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 8:34:49 PM
How did you guys do this? Did you guys live chat on something then record and edit it or what?
Church of the BANHAMMER GODS priest
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 8:36:06 PM
At 7/22/2013 8:26:14 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 7/22/2013 8:24:41 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
I was expecting sex...

Stay tuned.

*squee*
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 8:42:53 PM
Lol I did not steal your Everyman argument!

@Cobo---we video called on Skype and used Super Tin Tin recorder. I think it was around $30 but there was a free trial too :)
yang.
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 8:45:13 PM
Seems like a pretty cool concept, but I don't really care about Harry Potter or Lost so I wouldn't be invested in the conversation.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 8:49:13 PM
@Conservative---thanks!

@Johnny---I'd be open to suggestions of things to discuss.

We have a 25 min video formally debating whether Frodo or Harry was the braver protagonist. We figured it was too long for anyone to care about though lol so we're sticking to 5 min. I'd be willing to re-do it shorter, but Maik conceded afterward anyway.
yang.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 8:50:18 PM
At 7/22/2013 8:46:44 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
From a debate standpoint Maikuru won.

But this was fun.

Yeah it's infuriating arguing with this guy irl. Even when I know I'm right, he's a far superior debater >_<
yang.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 8:50:52 PM
At 7/22/2013 8:49:13 PM, tulle wrote:
@Conservative---thanks!

@Johnny---I'd be open to suggestions of things to discuss.

We have a 25 min video formally debating whether Frodo or Harry was the braver protagonist. We figured it was too long for anyone to care about though lol so we're sticking to 5 min. I'd be willing to re-do it shorter, but Maik conceded afterward anyway.

So I supposedly conceded on a video no one has seen that is allegedly too long to post. Interesting...
- lamerde

johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 8:52:24 PM
What movies, video games, or tv shows do the both of you guys care about? I have a pretty good idea with Maikuru, but none whatsoever regarding your preferences.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 8:59:39 PM
At 7/22/2013 8:52:24 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
What movies, video games, or tv shows do the both of you guys care about? I have a pretty good idea with Maikuru, but none whatsoever regarding your preferences.

Umm... I'm only a huge geek with Harry Potter. I have really wide preferences when it comes to movies, and I watch little TV. When I do, we both watch The Bachelor franchise, Modern Family, and various Food Network shows.

We could talk about politics as well, though we do tend to agree on most things (or at least find a middle ground). We could discuss relationship problems lol I don't know.
yang.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2013 9:40:14 AM
You guys are crazy. Also, suggestions to alter the Harry Potter series are made of fear and pretty much just blasphemous. It is prophecy.
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2013 3:50:58 PM

You convincingly lost on Locke and convincingly won on HP
Also Maikuru; you'd have to be dense or have lived under a rock to reach adulthood without having heard the "everyman" concept about 50 times.
I generally see it as a negative, but that is more subjective (Brief summary of my position: I don't want a character who is interchangeable with 90% of other protagonists, I want a distinct experience)
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2013 5:04:50 PM
At 7/23/2013 3:50:58 PM, Thaddeus wrote:

You convincingly lost on Locke and convincingly won on HP
Also Maikuru; you'd have to be dense or have lived under a rock to reach adulthood without having heard the "everyman" concept about 50 times.
I generally see it as a negative, but that is more subjective (Brief summary of my position: I don't want a character who is interchangeable with 90% of other protagonists, I want a distinct experience)

The thing about Harry is he's only an Everyman inasmuch as he's of average intelligence and a generally good person. He's still distinct in his orphan status and his crazy connection to Voldemort. I guess the better way to phrase that argument would have been that, through seeing the story through Harry's eyes, we learn as he learns, whereas Hermione knows too much information.
yang.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2013 6:52:39 AM
All right; let me break it down for you noobs.

First off, the Everyman is not negative, but essential. The highest order of media is that which we can relate to; that which is life affirming. But don't get me wrong; I'm not talking about Ross Geller.

Every good piece of fiction or non-fiction will be filled with stuff we can relate to; with humanities from down through the ages, say; and that, too, is the Everyman concept, or where it was born anyway, and so how can you view it as negative? It can only be positive really, or more.

Now as regards Harry and Hermione, there's plenty of the Everyman in BOTH of them. The series is a play on determinism as pretty much every series is. And I mean, think about it, that's the only way anything is actually going to be good. It has to make sense. There will always have to be some reason or build or it's just nonsense. And that is the Everyman concept.

And then it should just be obvious why Hermione wouldn't have made for a better lead. Think f*cking Twilight.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2013 5:35:23 PM
Well, I just finished watching the Chamber of Secrets and that ending brought a tear to my eye to be honest. I love you Hagrid ;__;

But, more to the point, I can't believe you liked that one least, tulle... it's awesome! And the reason Hermione is absent for the heroics is because J.K. Rowling is painting us a picture of herself, by the way. Hermione detailed the beast for us, as J.K. Rowling has done in real life, and she thinks it's up to men after that, which is perfectly sensible if you think about it.

The issue is fear, once again, and a want for control arising from that. And then men are what is primarily feared and so must be the ones to kill this great snake. Lucius Malfoy is to bring it back to reality for us, an evil yet to be dealt with. We see him lose his slave and crack over it, going for the killing curse on Harry, and in Hogwarts no less. There is a fearful insanity yet to be righted, J.K. Rowling is telling us, and it resides primarily in men.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2013 6:54:25 PM
At 7/25/2013 5:35:23 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Well, I just finished watching the Chamber of Secrets and that ending brought a tear to my eye to be honest. I love you Hagrid ;__;

lol I applauded in the theatre.

But, more to the point, I can't believe you liked that one least, tulle... it's awesome!

Sure... it's just, the other movies are more awesome. On a scale of 1-10, some of the movies are 10s or 9.9s. Chamber of Secrets in comparison to the other more amazing ones, is slightly less amazing, but still a 9, you know?

And the reason Hermione is absent for the heroics is because J.K. Rowling is painting us a picture of herself, by the way. Hermione detailed the beast for us, as J.K. Rowling has done in real life, and she thinks it's up to men after that, which is perfectly sensible if you think about it.

The issue is fear, once again, and a want for control arising from that. And then men are what is primarily feared and so must be the ones to kill this great snake. Lucius Malfoy is to bring it back to reality for us, an evil yet to be dealt with. We see him lose his slave and crack over it, going for the killing curse on Harry, and in Hogwarts no less. There is a fearful insanity yet to be righted, J.K. Rowling is telling us, and it resides primarily in men.

Interesting perspective...
yang.