Jump to topic:

I broke a heart today

R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 12:16:41 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I was just having fun. She fell in love. Ugh.

It is selfish to have sex with somebody knowing full-well you have no ability to fall in love with them afterwards. What's worse is that I can't say that I have any plans on stopping my behavior. I feel like I'm in a catch-22, I want to have fun but I don't want to be a bastard either... I guess this is the part where TULIP tells me to take up crotcheting or something instead of having sex... gawd being single is complicated.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 12:31:15 PM
At 7/29/2013 12:16:41 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:

It is selfish to have sex with somebody knowing full-well you have no ability to fall in love with them afterwards. What's worse is that I can't say that I have any plans on stopping my behavior. I feel like I'm in a catch-22, I want to have fun but I don't want to be a bastard either... I guess this is the part where TULIP tells me to take up crotcheting or something instead of having sex... gawd being single is complicated.

It's inevitable in relationships that are "for fun" eventually one ends up falling in love

been on both sides of the coin. You haven't necessarily done anything wrong, and neither has she. Just be honest with her, tell her you aren't interested in a relationship with her. It's the best policy.
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 12:33:51 PM
At 7/29/2013 12:31:15 PM, Buddamoose wrote:

It's inevitable in relationships that are "for fun" eventually one ends up falling in love

been on both sides of the coin. You haven't necessarily done anything wrong, and neither has she. Just be honest with her, tell her you aren't interested in a relationship with her. It's the best policy.

I've had many friends be in just-for-fun relationships. Invariably, they say it won't get complicated and then it gets complicated.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 12:43:07 PM
I think you owe it to her to just be honest. I think inevitably you trying to create an actual relationship to appease her feelings and avoid being a bastard will only make you seem like even more of a bastard.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 1:25:47 PM
Maybe killing yourself and hoping God grants you entrance to Heaven for such a sentiment mightn't be a bad way to go?

But now I don't really want you to kill yourself before anyone gets worked up over that statement. Just consider the last words of James Jackson here: http://wgrd.com...

You add to this in your continuing as you are. F*cked up, right?
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 1:28:12 PM
At 7/29/2013 1:25:47 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Maybe killing yourself and hoping God grants you entrance to Heaven for such a sentiment mightn't be a bad way to go?

But now I don't really want you to kill yourself before anyone gets worked up over that statement. Just consider the last words of James Jackson here: http://wgrd.com...

You add to this in your continuing as you are. F*cked up, right?

Wow I phrased that horribly. I never even touched on wanting you to kill yourself really. I'd say that leaked through from my considerations of what to do with myself :P
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 3:44:55 PM
This is why I don't hook up unless I'm emotionally invested.

I could never do that to someone. But as a trade off, I only get action when I'm in a relationship.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 5:22:50 PM
I was honest with her and didn't just tell her what she wanted to hear to get in her pants again, which I certainly could have done. She isn't interested in putting her heart on the line if I'm not willing to commit, which I understand of course. I'm sure it will be me next time who gets heart-broken, it sucks but that's the life I'm living right now.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
Jack212
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 6:22:49 PM

Try being clear about your intentions up front. Tell her flat out, "we're just having fun, this will never go anywhere." If she falls in love after that, that's her problem.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 6:41:32 PM
At 7/29/2013 6:22:49 PM, Jack212 wrote:

Try being clear about your intentions up front. Tell her flat out, "we're just having fun, this will never go anywhere." If she falls in love after that, that's her problem.

This.
yang.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 7:00:19 PM

Hah. Yeah you would think things would be that straight-forward in theory, but in practice I'm just laying in bed and all of a sudden my roommate's girl is laying on top of me. She pretty much just drops in my bedroom at all hours of the night to visit me... What really screwed things up is that we went out for dinner yesterday at a nice place and cuddled afterwards, and I guess that's what really did it. I feel like an idiot for letting it come to that but those are the things I miss from being in a relationship and having a chance to do that stuff again is hard to turn down, especially when I'm being asked to do it and it means rejecting somebody, you know? Now I'm actually sitting here missing her, and since she hangs out with my roomy every day we are inevitably going to get some beers in us again and end up cuddling or something to that nature. It's actually a very interesting situation... she sort of dates my roommate, and comes over to see him every night, and he is the chauvinistic ashole type so he kicks her out of his room pretty much every night and she comes in and lays with me lol. When we're out at the club, he hits on other girls (all of us do) and when he does that she comes up to me and we get it on sort of behind his back (but not really, we do it right in front of him too). It's pretty weird... they aren't really dating and he's told me just to screw her before because he doesn't really care. What it works out being is that she gets us both and the three of us go out a few times a week and pick up chicks (she likes girls too) and the sky is pretty-much the limit for what happens... it was working out pretty well actually but now she is getting feelings for me and I am starting to get attached to her even though I don't feel that spark... I know that I can't commit to her, I like her as we are now as three free people just doing what we want, and what I want is to stay single and not fall into serial monogamy because I need to have respect for myself and not just settle for who is around. I'm not committing to somebody until I am head-over-heels in love, and I guess the way things are going I will get turned down just like she did to me but I can't spend my time hiding from that. I'm sure my situation is distasteful to most of you but I have very little in terms of friends right now and these two have filled in the gaps of my social life and my empty house and although we are destined to have short-lived relationships I cherish what I have right now and really have no desire to change how things are going, with the sole exception of my causing her pain now that she wants more from me. She will be over here again soon and we will have to hash things out some more, if she keeps coming over to see him and crawling into bed with me at night I don't see how things are going to change, she has to make the decision to just not drive to Green Bay every day and come here, I guess...
Beliefs in a nutshell:
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 7:12:23 PM

That's not a Catch-22., any more than it would be one to say "I want to steal things, but I don't want to be a bad person..."

A Catch-22 is where you can't possibly get what you want, because getting it causes you to lose it. It's a no-win scenario, not just one where you don't like the outcomes.

In the book, the "Catch-22" is that if you're crazy, you can get out of the military...but trying to get out of the military after getting your "crazy" card is considered "sane", so you cannot be get out.

A Catch-22 in this situation would be if she only wanted to pursue and sleep with you as long as you didn't want to sleep with her...and as soon as you were willing to sleep with her, she lost interest.

In your case, you just seem to have a problem, in that you know you're hurting someone, but don't want to deal with the consequences of it. If you've been honest, it is her own fault...but you're still a bastard if you know her well enough to know she'll get invested anyway. You're perfectly capable of not putting your junk in her trunk if you know it's hurting her, if you choose not to that's on you.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 7:24:11 PM
At 7/29/2013 7:12:23 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

That's not a Catch-22., any more than it would be one to say "I want to steal things, but I don't want to be a bad person..."

A Catch-22 is where you can't possibly get what you want, because getting it causes you to lose it. It's a no-win scenario, not just one where you don't like the outcomes.

In the book, the "Catch-22" is that if you're crazy, you can get out of the military...but trying to get out of the military after getting your "crazy" card is considered "sane", so you cannot be get out.

A Catch-22 in this situation would be if she only wanted to pursue and sleep with you as long as you didn't want to sleep with her...and as soon as you were willing to sleep with her, she lost interest.

In your case, you just seem to have a problem, in that you know you're hurting someone, but don't want to deal with the consequences of it. If you've been honest, it is her own fault...but you're still a bastard if you know her well enough to know she'll get invested anyway. You're perfectly capable of not putting your junk in her trunk if you know it's hurting her, if you choose not to that's on you.

Thanks for explaining the exact nature of the phrase, I use it more colloquially to simply refer to a situation where either of my options really sucks :P

Simply put, I can play the field and risk heartbreak or I can resign myself to not getting laid. I am still going out a lot and meeting new chicks, and I'm not ready to give that up yet... I hope that I'm not going to be causing lots of strife (for me or others) in the process...
Beliefs in a nutshell:
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 7:37:18 PM
At 7/29/2013 7:24:11 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:

Simply put, I can play the field and risk heartbreak or I can resign myself to not getting laid. I am still going out a lot and meeting new chicks, and I'm not ready to give that up yet... I hope that I'm not going to be causing lots of strife (for me or others) in the process...

There's nothing wrong with playing the field, it's just that sometimes you have to withdraw.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Jack212
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 8:22:55 PM
At 7/29/2013 7:00:19 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:

Hah. Yeah you would think things would be that straight-forward in theory, but in practice I'm just laying in bed and all of a sudden my roommate's girl is laying on top of me. She pretty much just drops in my bedroom at all hours of the night to visit me... What really screwed things up is that we went out for dinner yesterday at a nice place and cuddled afterwards, and I guess that's what really did it. I feel like an idiot for letting it come to that but those are the things I miss from being in a relationship and having a chance to do that stuff again is hard to turn down, especially when I'm being asked to do it and it means rejecting somebody, you know? Now I'm actually sitting here missing her, and since she hangs out with my roomy every day we are inevitably going to get some beers in us again and end up cuddling or something to that nature. It's actually a very interesting situation... she sort of dates my roommate, and comes over to see him every night, and he is the chauvinistic ashole type so he kicks her out of his room pretty much every night and she comes in and lays with me lol. When we're out at the club, he hits on other girls (all of us do) and when he does that she comes up to me and we get it on sort of behind his back (but not really, we do it right in front of him too). It's pretty weird... they aren't really dating and he's told me just to screw her before because he doesn't really care. What it works out being is that she gets us both and the three of us go out a few times a week and pick up chicks (she likes girls too) and the sky is pretty-much the limit for what happens... it was working out pretty well actually but now she is getting feelings for me and I am starting to get attached to her even though I don't feel that spark... I know that I can't commit to her, I like her as we are now as three free people just doing what we want, and what I want is to stay single and not fall into serial monogamy because I need to have respect for myself and not just settle for who is around. I'm not committing to somebody until I am head-over-heels in love, and I guess the way things are going I will get turned down just like she did to me but I can't spend my time hiding from that. I'm sure my situation is distasteful to most of you but I have very little in terms of friends right now and these two have filled in the gaps of my social life and my empty house and although we are destined to have short-lived relationships I cherish what I have right now and really have no desire to change how things are going, with the sole exception of my causing her pain now that she wants more from me. She will be over here again soon and we will have to hash things out some more, if she keeps coming over to see him and crawling into bed with me at night I don't see how things are going to change, she has to make the decision to just not drive to Green Bay every day and come here, I guess...

I take back what I said. I've been in the situation where I slept with a friend and she wanted more, and I turned her down. I was depressed for months before I realized that, no matter how fvcked up my relationship with her was, I still wanted her in my life.

My new advice is to just go with the flow. If she loves you, great. Don't reject her or break up with her, just be honest about where your relationship is at and keep your options open. Feelings change, and you'll regret rejecting her if you ever do fall in love.

Life is supposed to be fvcked up. Don't over-think it and everything will be fine.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 8:40:05 PM
At 7/29/2013 8:22:55 PM, Jack212 wrote:
At 7/29/2013 7:00:19 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:

I take back what I said. I've been in the situation where I slept with a friend and she wanted more, and I turned her down. I was depressed for months before I realized that, no matter how fvcked up my relationship with her was, I still wanted her in my life.

My new advice is to just go with the flow. If she loves you, great. Don't reject her or break up with her, just be honest about where your relationship is at and keep your options open. Feelings change, and you'll regret rejecting her if you ever do fall in love.

Life is supposed to be fvcked up. Don't over-think it and everything will be fine.

That's why I come on DDO - to over-think things :)

Well I certainly hope my situation isn't like yours! I told her we can still have sex, she just doesn't want to let me take her unless I'm going to start committing because she's afraid of her feelings. She will still have sex with my roommate (and sleep with me :P) because her feelings for him aren't that strong. Now you want to talk about a catch-22? lol.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 8:46:16 PM
At 7/29/2013 3:44:55 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
This is why I don't hook up unless I'm emotionally invested.

I could never do that to someone. But as a trade off, I only get action when I'm in a relationship.

Whores, dude. They're overrated (or so I've heard), but if you get desperate.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 8:48:48 PM
I personally don't know why someone would have sex without wanting a connection. That's what the goddamn internet is for.
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 8:50:04 PM
At 7/29/2013 8:48:48 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
I personally don't know why someone would have sex without wanting a connection. That's what the goddamn internet is for.

Porn sites, I mean. And I hate it. It's fun while it lasts, but I feel like throwing up afterward.

Anyway, "TMI", I know.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 9:23:16 PM
God did not put me on this earth to sit in front of a screen and whack off. Of that I have no doubt. Whores... now that's a different subject entirely.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 9:26:35 PM
At 7/29/2013 8:50:04 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:

Porn sites, I mean. And I hate it. It's fun while it lasts, but I feel like throwing up afterward.

Anyway, "TMI", I know.

I know how you feel, that's why I never got into porn.

Yes, a guy who doesn't enjoy porn. I exist.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 9:39:50 PM
At 7/29/2013 9:26:35 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

Anyway, "TMI", I know.

*Looks at avatar, shakes head...*
Beliefs in a nutshell:
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 9:43:25 PM
At 7/29/2013 9:39:50 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:

Anyway, "TMI", I know.

Being the only one who's posted in this thread so far with an actual picture of myself, I shake my head at all your avatars.
GOP
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 10:12:22 PM
At 7/29/2013 9:43:25 PM, DakotaKrafick wrote:

Anyway, "TMI", I know.

Being the only one who's posted in this thread so far with an actual picture of myself, I shake my head at all your avatars.

Actually, Buddamoose has a pic of himself too.
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 10:16:30 PM
At 7/29/2013 10:12:22 PM, GOP wrote:

Anyway, "TMI", I know.

I reiterate: "Being the only one who's posted in this thread so far with an actual picture of myself [...]"

Has this moose you speak of posted in this thread yet?
GOP
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 10:19:07 PM
At 7/29/2013 10:16:30 PM, DakotaKrafick wrote:

Anyway, "TMI", I know.

I reiterate: "Being the only one who's posted in this thread so far with an actual picture of myself [...]"

Yes, far before you did. He was the second poster.
GOP
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 10:19:47 PM
At 7/29/2013 10:19:07 PM, GOP wrote:

Anyway, "TMI", I know.

Well, not far before, but still before you.
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 10:21:28 PM
At 7/29/2013 10:19:47 PM, GOP wrote:
At 7/29/2013 10:19:07 PM, GOP wrote:

Anyway, "TMI", I know.

Well, not far before, but still before you.

Oh, he was hiding in plain sight. I blame quantum mechanics.

I could have sworn he had a more up-close picture of himself; I'm not sure that one counts lol
TULIP
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 10:36:18 PM

Ummm ,,,, not sure what you meant by that last comment about me? But in all honesty it's really not complicating at all being single.. Two words "self-control"... That's how it becomes less complicating.. But don't mind me I don't know anything..
"We conclude that our salvation is of The Lord. He is the One who regenerates us. Those whom He regenerates come to Christ. Without regeneration no one will ever come to Christ. With regeneration no one will ever reject Him. God's saving grace effects what He intends to effect by it. ~ R. C. Sproul