Jump to topic:

Hiatus

R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2013 10:25:04 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
For the umpteenth time, I am going to be taking a break from DDO to get to my studies. Suffice to say, it is time for an intervention in my life and I need to devote myself towards being productive once again.

I don't have a cellphone, I don't have facebook and I've withdrawn from every (socially) technological medium I've ever been involved in except for DDO and I've always liked the intellectual aspect of this site but when it comes down to it DDO is just another aspect of technology that detracts from my core utility; it wastes my time and causes me to put energy into something that's not building anything for myself. Not to bash the site or anything, recreationally-speaking it's worlds apart from the senselessness of FB, twitter, and other social networking sites based on dating and other things but even the best social-networking site is still an application of my personality that could be more fruitfully expended in real-life settings. The more I disconnect, the more I force myself to find real-world solutions to my needs by seeking out answers in my community - but it's hard to do that when the push of a button relieves me of that need.

Let me talk further about need. Your communities need you. While you sit on DDO trolling and bickering with each other, occasionally being intellectually-challenged by something transient and unorganized (as opposed to say, reading a work of art by a scholar or getting real-life experience doing something) your community is dying. I volunteer some of my Saturdays with the local Trout Unlimited chapter. The second picture down is a picture of the crew I work with: http://www.greenbaytu.com...
The two younger-looking guys at the top-left are forestry interns - they are not volunteer fishermen. I am third from the right at the bottom. Notice anything about the rest of them? The average age of that group is past-retirement. At 32, I am a distant outlier in that group. I've seen this effect around other places in my community as well; in my smallish-church, for instance, there isn't anyone there in their twenties. It's just people over forty and their children. My point - you kids are growing up in this information age and are abandoning the normal outlets in your community through which time is normally spent. While the conglomerate of you sits on your phones, noodling through websites and getting interaction online, the establishments which are the bread and butter of your community are falling away. Let me get John Lennon style here for a minute: IMAGINE that everyone suddenly lost their internet connection for a year. What would everyone do with their time? Would people be forced to actually go out into the real world and participate more of their time? Hang out in places and meet REAL people? If this truly is a haven for intellectuals, who are open-minded, then ask yourself how open-minded you are while you steadily drink the technological kool-aid without ever questioning whether or not spending hours of your time using these devices each day is truly improving yourself and your community.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2013 10:27:00 PM
I'm a fan of kool-aid myself. Especially the pink lemonade
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2013 11:30:44 PM
I gain so much much from this website and its members. When I'm on the website, I'm learning. As a result of the website, I'm doing more research. Through my interactions with members, on DDO and off DDO, I'm learning. I see nothing wrong with me using this website as a way to spend my time.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2013 2:01:39 AM
I make money via facebook. As CR said, I learn things on DDO. People who cut themselves off from technology, which as far as I'm concerned is just another word for awesome, confuse me.
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2013 2:34:36 AM
I think Rob is the second-biggest technophobe I've ever met, next to my girlfriend's grandmother. And she thinks the internet is the Devil, quite literally.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2013 8:29:34 AM
At 8/1/2013 2:34:36 AM, DakotaKrafick wrote:
I think Rob is the second-biggest technophobe I've ever met, next to my girlfriend's grandmother. And she thinks the internet is the Devil, quite literally.

Hehe
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2013 9:17:20 AM
I gain so much much from this website and its members.

Trolling and bickering? I know...

When I'm on the website, I'm learning. As a result of the website, I'm doing more research. Through my interactions with members, on DDO and off DDO, I'm learning. I see nothing wrong with me using this website as a way to spend my time.

It's a step above video games, but it's also a step below reading books. Works arranged by scholars are in-depth, comprehensive, and generally peer-reviewed. Hearing something some kid said on DDO and wiki'ing it is a pretty far-cry from that... Like I said, the main difference is that DDO is EASY. One click, you're on. We are lazy Americanos. Laziness produces weakness.

I make money via facebook.

I'm sure you could make more applying yourself to something other than a website where everyone spams memes all day and makes petty, whimsical commentary.

As CR said, I learn things on DDO. People who cut themselves off from technology, which as far as I'm concerned is just another word for awesome, confuse me.

Tech is awesome because it satisfies our thirst for greed. It gives us an artificial reason to feel good about ourselves, without actually improving ourselves. Then the next tech is released, and we are made to feel inferior without it... people who are addicted to tech are pretty weak and pathetic, really. Some people supplement themselves with big engines, others use fancy clothes and jewelry, others use tech. Pick your poison, but don't assume you are any better than a redneck with a lift-kit.

She's a lot older and wiser than you are. She was around before the internet came around, and then saw the changes as it manifested itself in society. She didn't like what she saw. I see these changes too, not as clearly, but I see them. Like when I was working for cell-phone custy serve, and people would call me up and blame me for putting their old mother's life in danger because our service cut out for a while and she could have needed it at that moment. I wanted so badly to remind them that ten years ago (dating back to infinity) there were no cell-phones, yet old people didn't die as a result. It is tech that leads us to putting our elderly out to dry in the first place, depending on it to relieve us of our responsibilities... maybe your GF's grandmother is waiting to be put away with a cell-phone and internet for her only contact with you, and can see you gearing up for it as we speak. Why wouldn't she think it's the devil?
Beliefs in a nutshell:
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2013 9:42:47 AM
As a fellow Wisconsinite, you get the benefit of the doubt. But...

Can you tell me exactly why you made this topic? I mean, I notice you do a lot of b1tching in this thread, and I can't help but wonder why? Are you just trying to appear self-righteous or something?

Although shockingly, pride and the self-righteousness of the blue collar are pretty huge in Wisconsin, so...

And again, I'm sorry if this offends you or whatever, but I'm honest. This post seemed far from encouraging, but instead sounded like you were trying to lecture us on what bad people we are and how great you are.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2013 4:56:17 PM
At 8/1/2013 9:17:20 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:
I gain so much much from this website and its members.

Trolling and bickering? I know...

When I'm on the website, I'm learning. As a result of the website, I'm doing more research. Through my interactions with members, on DDO and off DDO, I'm learning. I see nothing wrong with me using this website as a way to spend my time.

It's a step above video games, but it's also a step below reading books. Works arranged by scholars are in-depth, comprehensive, and generally peer-reviewed. Hearing something some kid said on DDO and wiki'ing it is a pretty far-cry from that... Like I said, the main difference is that DDO is EASY. One click, you're on. We are lazy Americanos. Laziness produces weakness.

I make money via facebook.

I'm sure you could make more applying yourself to something other than a website where everyone spams memes all day and makes petty, whimsical commentary.

As CR said, I learn things on DDO. People who cut themselves off from technology, which as far as I'm concerned is just another word for awesome, confuse me.

Tech is awesome because it satisfies our thirst for greed. It gives us an artificial reason to feel good about ourselves, without actually improving ourselves. Then the next tech is released, and we are made to feel inferior without it... people who are addicted to tech are pretty weak and pathetic, really. Some people supplement themselves with big engines, others use fancy clothes and jewelry, others use tech. Pick your poison, but don't assume you are any better than a redneck with a lift-kit.

She's a lot older and wiser than you are. She was around before the internet came around, and then saw the changes as it manifested itself in society. She didn't like what she saw. I see these changes too, not as clearly, but I see them. Like when I was working for cell-phone custy serve, and people would call me up and blame me for putting their old mother's life in danger because our service cut out for a while and she could have needed it at that moment. I wanted so badly to remind them that ten years ago (dating back to infinity) there were no cell-phones, yet old people didn't die as a result. It is tech that leads us to putting our elderly out to dry in the first place, depending on it to relieve us of our responsibilities... maybe your GF's grandmother is waiting to be put away with a cell-phone and internet for her only contact with you, and can see you gearing up for it as we speak. Why wouldn't she think it's the devil?

Wow. What a dick. lol
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2013 5:14:45 PM
I think Rob taught us an important lesson in this thread.

He showed us how much of a presumptuous dick he was.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2013 7:04:15 PM
At 8/1/2013 11:07:43 AM, Cermank wrote:
Why do I need to sacrifice my time on DDo to ensure I help my community?

Cermank, DDO is not the scourge of society. But when our young people, in a very general sense, are spending all their time online instead of being active in their communities, then the institutions that hold our society begin to degrade. I mentioned a couple examples above... Let's talk about the dinner table. Yet another social institution that is fading... I have spent many years in the food service industry, and when certain parents demand their children not use their mobile devices at the table to participate in social media, I dare say they are the minority! Kids these days walk around like zombies with their noses in their phones, never even knowing that a short time ago there was no such phenomenon. And it's not just the kids, many adults (increasing with time as kids who were brought up under these conditions become adults) also sit with their noses in their phones while waiting for their food as well. Does anybody ever wait for an elevator these days without "needing" to be on their phone checking some ridiculous thing on the internet? If you're in line or in any other possible way idle for more than a few seconds, the phone it must be! It's like that Star Trek TNG episode "The Game" where everyone gets addicted to that portable device and becomes brainwashed. Star Trek is infamous for coming up with ideas that eventually become true, and right now I feel like Wesley Crusher running around the ship while everyone is brainwashed and addicted, trying to chase me down and make me play it. Look at the vocabulary of these otherwise intelligent people that commented on this thread... I've obviously struck a nerve here and if ya'll could wake up from your conditioning for a moment, maybe you could ask yourselves why what I'm saying is so emotionally provocative.

Do you need to quit DDO? No, but how much time do you spend on it? I'm sure for many it is an hour or more a day, perhaps combined with more time on other tech-based devices and services. What would we be doing with that time, otherwise? I bet you it would be interacting with real people who share our interests right at home. We'd be active physically as well as socially... and I bet that a lot of the problems we bitch about on DDO wouldn't even exist if we were out there in the real world and not staring at a computer screen.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2013 7:13:37 PM
At 8/1/2013 7:04:15 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:

Cermank, DDO is not the scourge of society. But when our young people, in a very general sense, are spending all their time online instead of being active in their communities, then the institutions that hold our society begin to degrade. I mentioned a couple examples above... Let's talk about the dinner table. Yet another social institution that is fading... I have spent many years in the food service industry, and when certain parents demand their children not use their mobile devices at the table to participate in social media, I dare say they are the minority! Kids these days walk around like zombies with their noses in their phones, never even knowing that a short time ago there was no such phenomenon. And it's not just the kids, many adults (increasing with time as kids who were brought up under these conditions become adults) also sit with their noses in their phones while waiting for their food as well. Does anybody ever wait for an elevator these days without "needing" to be on their phone checking some ridiculous thing on the internet? If you're in line or in any other possible way idle for more than a few seconds, the phone it must be! It's like that Star Trek TNG episode "The Game" where everyone gets addicted to that portable device and becomes brainwashed. Star Trek is infamous for coming up with ideas that eventually become true, and right now I feel like Wesley Crusher running around the ship while everyone is brainwashed and addicted, trying to chase me down and make me play it. Look at the vocabulary of these otherwise intelligent people that commented on this thread... I've obviously struck a nerve here and if ya'll could wake up from your conditioning for a moment, maybe you could ask yourselves why what I'm saying is so emotionally provocative.

Do you need to quit DDO? No, but how much time do you spend on it? I'm sure for many it is an hour or more a day, perhaps combined with more time on other tech-based devices and services. What would we be doing with that time, otherwise? I bet you it would be interacting with real people who share our interests right at home. We'd be active physically as well as socially... and I bet that a lot of the problems we bitch about on DDO wouldn't even exist if we were out there in the real world and not staring at a computer screen.

It's ironic because you're bitching at us on your computer.

I thought you left? Don't you want to be doing something like going to church or talking to your friends via carrier pigeons or something else you don't look down on for obviously stupid reasons?
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2013 7:18:19 PM
At 8/1/2013 7:13:37 PM, DakotaKrafick wrote:
At 8/1/2013 7:04:15 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:

Cermank, DDO is not the scourge of society. But when our young people, in a very general sense, are spending all their time online instead of being active in their communities, then the institutions that hold our society begin to degrade. I mentioned a couple examples above... Let's talk about the dinner table. Yet another social institution that is fading... I have spent many years in the food service industry, and when certain parents demand their children not use their mobile devices at the table to participate in social media, I dare say they are the minority! Kids these days walk around like zombies with their noses in their phones, never even knowing that a short time ago there was no such phenomenon. And it's not just the kids, many adults (increasing with time as kids who were brought up under these conditions become adults) also sit with their noses in their phones while waiting for their food as well. Does anybody ever wait for an elevator these days without "needing" to be on their phone checking some ridiculous thing on the internet? If you're in line or in any other possible way idle for more than a few seconds, the phone it must be! It's like that Star Trek TNG episode "The Game" where everyone gets addicted to that portable device and becomes brainwashed. Star Trek is infamous for coming up with ideas that eventually become true, and right now I feel like Wesley Crusher running around the ship while everyone is brainwashed and addicted, trying to chase me down and make me play it.

No one's chasing you down and making you play. We're waiting for you to leave.

Look at the vocabulary of these otherwise intelligent people that commented on this thread... I've obviously struck a nerve here and if ya'll could wake up from your conditioning for a moment, maybe you could ask yourselves why what I'm saying is so emotionally provocative.

The answer is because you've taken a presumptuous, supercilious tone.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2013 7:28:57 PM
live and let live. Just because DDO is of limited value to you doesn't mean that aren't getting something very worthwhile out of it. Heck, arguing on DDO is the best way to keep your vocabulary and analytic skills sharp that I've heard of - in addition to that you really get to speak your mind without any moron dismissing you for challenging a popular belief. When DDO becomes a bit over-bearing, it's good to take a break. But don't just throw the site down the ditch.

This website is better than most classrooms; and if you're using it effectively (rather than making threads about how much sex you have), you'll see those benefits the way the rest of us do.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Poetaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2013 7:32:01 PM
Anything of possible worth can be subverted instead for frivolous ends. These observations are not uniquely applicable to technology.
"The book you are looking for hasn't been written yet. What you are looking for you are going to have to find yourself, it's not going to be in a book..." -Sidewalker
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2013 10:34:00 PM
At 8/1/2013 7:28:57 PM, 000ike wrote:
live and let live. Just because DDO is of limited value to you doesn't mean that aren't getting something very worthwhile out of it. Heck, arguing on DDO is the best way to keep your vocabulary and analytic skills sharp that I've heard of - in addition to that you really get to speak your mind without any moron dismissing you for challenging a popular belief. When DDO becomes a bit over-bearing, it's good to take a break. But don't just throw the site down the ditch.

I've taken so many breaks over the years... it's like trying to quit smoking. In five years I've met a few cool people... People are so transient and disconnected on here... it drives me insane. I'm not saying everybody isn't cool on DDO, I'm saying that I don't MEET the people who are cool. People come and are gone... even those who I have had many exchanges with are still pretty much alien to me. I've talked to Danielle, Innomen, and Paradigm l0st over the phone. These three individuals stand out to me because now I feel like I know them, but I could text them on DDO for ten years and still probably not really know what makes them tick. There's something about the intimacy of real conversation that DDO lacks and after years and years of it I'm going insane. It's like being chained to the wall in Plato's Cave and seeing the shadows of people on the wall, but instead of shadows it is text messages and I never hear or see them. 99% of the people who come are gone in a relatively-short period of time. Constant trolling, bickering, and insults permeate every thread. And the whole while I may be learning, but it seems like I'm running in place. I've learned a lot in five years on here but I feel like I could have learned so much more from intimate real-life conversations with tone of voice, eye-contact, the need for spontaneity, and perhaps most important the need to have RESPECT for someone that is standing next to you. Nobody would be calling me a d1ck and a b1tch to my face if I brought these ideas up in person. But because we're on the internet we can just spout off whatever we feel like whimsically... and the same whimsical nature that allows all the insults also allows for lax exchanges of ideas, terrible networking potential, and ice-cold spiritual connection. If I knew even the least of you IRL I'd have more explosive exchanges than with the best of you online. Instead of a quick wiki link or something, I'd probably have to prepare much more rigorously to converse with you knowing that I wouldn't have wiki at my fingertips if I needed it. I couldn't just pop over to a different thread if I didn't know an answer or couldn't argue it properly...

This website is better than most classrooms; and if you're using it effectively (rather than making threads about how much sex you have), you'll see those benefits the way the rest of us do.

Sex has been on my mind lately. I was debating politics and philosophy on this site years ago, and probably would again if I wasn't so poorly networked. Now I'm whining because I've sort of put it together that networking is the cause of my lack of career and lack of love-life, and DDO is both my first place to go to express myself as well as my biggest target of blame for why I perhaps have failed to make many meaningful interpersonal connections this last decade. I spend my free time on here and I should be out trying to make something happen in the real world. But people in the real world are all online these days, and by refusing to participate in social networking it's difficult for me to stay in touch with people who normally would be easy to stay in touch with. People organize activities through Facebook... date through dating sites... keep in touch through text... What ever happened to just hanging out in public places? Even a coffee shop is going to be filled with a bunch of dumbasses sitting on their computers and phones with no real expectation of interacting with new people in person. I met a girl at the bar last weekend and I told her to stop by my house and she told me no, I need to get on facebook or OKcupid. Fvck that. This isn't how it used to be... 20 years ago people were so much freer, not dedicated to machines to interact with each other. The bar is the only place I can turn to where people are actually looking to meet others, and that's sad...
Beliefs in a nutshell: