Total Posts:97|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Dilemma.

Eitan_Zohar
Posts: 2,697
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2013 9:19:28 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
You are in a large house- similar to a mansion- with someone of your age but the opposite sex. This house has no windows, but has enough for a person to get by- lighting that keeps you healthy, a few accessories, stuff like that. There's also an infinite supply of food and oxygen. You could potentially live here in reasonable health for a long period of time, if you could tolerate it. The house exists in an alternate dimension which is virtually empty, aside from the house itself.

There is a door in the house. The door leads through a wormhole. If you open it, you will be able to walk outside on Earth, in your home dimension, but never come back. There's a catch, however- the other person cannot walk out. He/she is condemned to spend their existence inside the house, with its few amenities. If you stay, you may make existence bearable for the other person, but you will never see another person, make another friend (or see any of your old friends or family) read another book, learn anything new, or watch another movie. If you leave, life will be normal for you, but he/she will almost certainly go insane from isolation and eventually kill him/herself.

I'm asking what you would do if you had the choice. Not what you think is the "right" thing to do. What you would do.

Bonus question: Let's say the other person was your spouse/lover/sibling/parent and both of you could walk outside, but you would find yourselves on Earth in two alternate dimensions, both copies of each other. You would never see each other again, but you would be free to live normal lives- or, you could stay together in the house.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
airmax1227
Posts: 13,228
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2013 9:33:41 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I don't think I could condemn the other person (who I assume is someone I like and would want to spend time with) to insanity and suicide. So being that somehow I managed to put myself in this situation, I'd stick it out for as long as it takes and make the best of it.
Debate.org Moderator
Buddamoose
Posts: 19,448
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2013 9:39:07 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
question: Is the other person an attractive male/female depending on the one who is making the choice, sex?

LIke say I was making the choice, would the other person be a reasonably attractive female? This would be a total deal breaker imo, not to go there, but it really would. Everybody needs lovin, and being stuck with a guy for the rest of my life, is not something I would consider doing, and I would hop through that portal without hesitation.

On the alternative question, no, I would not. If it was a spouse or SO, I would not leave them, nor would I choose to go to an alternate reality where there is a "copy" of them. It may be exactly the same, but it wouldn't feel that way
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Eitan_Zohar
Posts: 2,697
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2013 9:43:23 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/1/2013 9:39:07 PM, Buddamoose wrote:
question: Is the other person an attractive male/female depending on the one who is making the choice, sex?

That's what it says, dingus.

LIke say I was making the choice, would the other person be a reasonably attractive female? This would be a total deal breaker imo, not to go there, but it really would. Everybody needs lovin, and being stuck with a guy for the rest of my life, is not something I would consider doing, and I would hop through that portal without hesitation.

Assume it is indeed an attractive, good natured person.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
Eitan_Zohar
Posts: 2,697
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2013 9:44:29 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/1/2013 9:33:41 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
I don't think I could condemn the other person (who I assume is someone I like and would want to spend time with) to insanity and suicide. So being that somehow I managed to put myself in this situation, I'd stick it out for as long as it takes and make the best of it.

What if "as long as it takes" is till you are an old man? Remember that you will be totally isolated from everything and everyone except her.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
airmax1227
Posts: 13,228
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2013 9:47:13 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/1/2013 9:44:29 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
At 8/1/2013 9:33:41 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
I don't think I could condemn the other person (who I assume is someone I like and would want to spend time with) to insanity and suicide. So being that somehow I managed to put myself in this situation, I'd stick it out for as long as it takes and make the best of it.

What if "as long as it takes" is till you are an old man? Remember that you will be totally isolated from everything and everyone except her.

Not going to be able to live with myself knowing I condemned someone to insanity and death. So given that reality and the fact that somehow I put myself in that situation, I will make the best of it. Isn't really that tough of a decision for me.
Debate.org Moderator
Eitan_Zohar
Posts: 2,697
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2013 9:49:30 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/1/2013 9:47:13 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 8/1/2013 9:44:29 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
At 8/1/2013 9:33:41 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
I don't think I could condemn the other person (who I assume is someone I like and would want to spend time with) to insanity and suicide. So being that somehow I managed to put myself in this situation, I'd stick it out for as long as it takes and make the best of it.

What if "as long as it takes" is till you are an old man? Remember that you will be totally isolated from everything and everyone except her.

Not going to be able to live with myself knowing I condemned someone to insanity and death. So given that reality and the fact that somehow I put myself in that situation, I will make the best of it. Isn't really that tough of a decision for me.

Yeah, I think it would be just as traumatic knowing something like that. I'm with you.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
YYW
Posts: 36,242
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2013 9:50:13 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/1/2013 9:33:41 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
I don't think I could condemn the other person (who I assume is someone I like and would want to spend time with) to insanity and suicide. So being that somehow I managed to put myself in this situation, I'd stick it out for as long as it takes and make the best of it.

What an interesting quasi-prisoner's dilemma... You're a better man than I, Airmax.
Eitan_Zohar
Posts: 2,697
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2013 9:51:28 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/1/2013 9:50:13 PM, YYW wrote:
At 8/1/2013 9:33:41 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
I don't think I could condemn the other person (who I assume is someone I like and would want to spend time with) to insanity and suicide. So being that somehow I managed to put myself in this situation, I'd stick it out for as long as it takes and make the best of it.

What an interesting quasi-prisoner's dilemma... You're a better man than I, Airmax.

It's relieving to see you've returned.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
Buddamoose
Posts: 19,448
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2013 9:51:30 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Then in that case, I would stay. Couldn't just leave such a pretty little thing all alone for the rest of their lives, now could I? That's just unchivalrous and rude ;)
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2013 9:55:10 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I wouldn't leave that person. Paradoxically, I treat ethics as a totally illegitimate thing because I know it is, but functionally, I hold myself to the standards of what I find conscientious. I could leave the dimension to live with the rest of humanity, but something in my psyche would ensure that that would be quite a guilt-ridden, pitiful life - perhaps enough to counterbalance the gain of freedom.

What's the point of this question by the way?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
YYW
Posts: 36,242
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2013 9:58:45 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/1/2013 9:51:28 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
At 8/1/2013 9:50:13 PM, YYW wrote:
At 8/1/2013 9:33:41 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
I don't think I could condemn the other person (who I assume is someone I like and would want to spend time with) to insanity and suicide. So being that somehow I managed to put myself in this situation, I'd stick it out for as long as it takes and make the best of it.

What an interesting quasi-prisoner's dilemma... You're a better man than I, Airmax.

It's relieving to see you've returned.

By the way... If I can leave but there is no word on whether if we are both present in the house can leave or not, I assume that they either (if given the same choice as me) will choose to act in their rational self interest OR that if they were not presented the same choice as me, that they are condemned to suffer where the only difference is the degree of that suffering. In either case, I see no reason why I should either be made to stay if the other person is presented the same choice as me or why both of us should suffer when one may prosper. However, I would be very interested to know if the other person could leave or not, and if so, if I might follow them out if they walk first (obviously the best choice).
airmax1227
Posts: 13,228
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2013 9:59:39 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/1/2013 9:55:10 PM, 000ike wrote:

What's the point of this question by the way?

I figure it's just some random scenario to see how people answer... although a lot of these types of things are lame pop-psych things that overreach in trying to define a persons entire personality. Though I don't think that's the case here, and it's just a question. What's the point of a question? To hear an answer.
Debate.org Moderator
TheAntidoter
Posts: 4,323
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2013 10:00:13 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I'd stick it out, or kill the person.

Probably the 2nd.

Nobody would know.

Or the 1st.

Depends, I think I would kill them then get the heck out of there.
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
Eitan_Zohar
Posts: 2,697
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2013 10:01:17 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/1/2013 9:55:10 PM, 000ike wrote:
I wouldn't leave that person. Paradoxically, I treat ethics as a totally illegitimate thing because I know it is, but functionally, I hold myself to the standards of what I find conscientious. I could leave the dimension to live with the rest of humanity, but something in my psyche would ensure that that would be quite a guilt-ridden, pitiful life - perhaps enough to counterbalance the gain of freedom.

What's the point of this question by the way?

The scenario just bubbled up in my imagination. Maybe some subconscious fear.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
Eitan_Zohar
Posts: 2,697
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2013 10:02:09 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/1/2013 9:58:45 PM, YYW wrote:
At 8/1/2013 9:51:28 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
At 8/1/2013 9:50:13 PM, YYW wrote:
At 8/1/2013 9:33:41 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
I don't think I could condemn the other person (who I assume is someone I like and would want to spend time with) to insanity and suicide. So being that somehow I managed to put myself in this situation, I'd stick it out for as long as it takes and make the best of it.

What an interesting quasi-prisoner's dilemma... You're a better man than I, Airmax.

It's relieving to see you've returned.

By the way... If I can leave but there is no word on whether if we are both present in the house can leave or not, I assume that they either (if given the same choice as me) will choose to act in their rational self interest OR that if they were not presented the same choice as me, that they are condemned to suffer where the only difference is the degree of that suffering. In either case, I see no reason why I should either be made to stay if the other person is presented the same choice as me or why both of us should suffer when one may prosper. However, I would be very interested to know if the other person could leave or not, and if so, if I might follow them out if they walk first (obviously the best choice).

I comprehended very little of this.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
airmax1227
Posts: 13,228
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2013 10:02:25 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/1/2013 10:00:42 PM, YYW wrote:
At 8/1/2013 9:59:39 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
What's the point of a question? To hear an answer.

Ba dum tsss

I didn't intend to possibly come off as somewhat of a jerk in that response... I just meant there probably isn't some greater philosophical point to this thread.
Debate.org Moderator
YYW
Posts: 36,242
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2013 10:05:23 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/1/2013 10:02:09 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
At 8/1/2013 9:58:45 PM, YYW wrote:
At 8/1/2013 9:51:28 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
At 8/1/2013 9:50:13 PM, YYW wrote:
At 8/1/2013 9:33:41 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
I don't think I could condemn the other person (who I assume is someone I like and would want to spend time with) to insanity and suicide. So being that somehow I managed to put myself in this situation, I'd stick it out for as long as it takes and make the best of it.

What an interesting quasi-prisoner's dilemma... You're a better man than I, Airmax.

It's relieving to see you've returned.

By the way... If I can leave but there is no word on whether if we are both present in the house [the other person] can leave or not, I assume that they either (if given the same choice as me) will choose to act in their rational self interest OR that if they were not presented the same choice as me, that they are condemned to suffer where the only difference is the degree of that suffering. In either case, I see no reason why I should either be made to stay if the other person is presented the same choice as me or why both of us should suffer when one may prosper. However, I would be very interested to know if the other person could leave or not, and if so, if I might follow them out if they walk first (obviously the best choice).

I comprehended very little of this.

That might have to do with the fact that I had a thought but didn't type it all. It's 11:15 PM... oh well.
YYW
Posts: 36,242
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2013 10:06:24 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/1/2013 10:02:25 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 8/1/2013 10:00:42 PM, YYW wrote:
At 8/1/2013 9:59:39 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
What's the point of a question? To hear an answer.

Ba dum tsss

I didn't intend to possibly come off as somewhat of a jerk in that response... I just meant there probably isn't some greater philosophical point to this thread.

lol, I just liked the way you made your point.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2013 10:06:37 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/1/2013 10:05:23 PM, YYW wrote:

That might have to do with the fact that I had a thought but didn't type it all. It's 11:15 PM... oh well.

It's 11:06 ET. fix your clock :P
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
YYW
Posts: 36,242
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2013 10:08:43 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/1/2013 10:06:37 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/1/2013 10:05:23 PM, YYW wrote:

That might have to do with the fact that I had a thought but didn't type it all. It's 11:15 PM... oh well.

It's 11:06 ET. fix your clock :P

Perhaps I just live life a few minutes ahead lol

But really, I keep the clock on my computer running fast so that I'm not late for things... Same with my watch and iPhone. Though yes, I'm a few minutes ahead of reality lol
Eitan_Zohar
Posts: 2,697
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2013 10:15:30 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/1/2013 10:05:23 PM, YYW wrote:
At 8/1/2013 10:02:09 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
At 8/1/2013 9:58:45 PM, YYW wrote:
At 8/1/2013 9:51:28 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
At 8/1/2013 9:50:13 PM, YYW wrote:
At 8/1/2013 9:33:41 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
I don't think I could condemn the other person (who I assume is someone I like and would want to spend time with) to insanity and suicide. So being that somehow I managed to put myself in this situation, I'd stick it out for as long as it takes and make the best of it.

What an interesting quasi-prisoner's dilemma... You're a better man than I, Airmax.

It's relieving to see you've returned.

By the way... If I can leave but there is no word on whether if we are both present in the house [the other person] can leave or not, I assume that they either (if given the same choice as me) will choose to act in their rational self interest OR that if they were not presented the same choice as me, that they are condemned to suffer where the only difference is the degree of that suffering. In either case, I see no reason why I should either be made to stay if the other person is presented the same choice as me or why both of us should suffer when one may prosper. However, I would be very interested to know if the other person could leave or not, and if so, if I might follow them out if they walk first (obviously the best choice).

I comprehended very little of this.

That might have to do with the fact that I had a thought but didn't type it all. It's 11:15 PM... oh well.

I would answer you if you have a question. Oh, and it's actually 5:16 in Switzerland. You must be exhausted.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
airmax1227
Posts: 13,228
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2013 10:18:46 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/1/2013 10:08:43 PM, YYW wrote:
At 8/1/2013 10:06:37 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/1/2013 10:05:23 PM, YYW wrote:

That might have to do with the fact that I had a thought but didn't type it all. It's 11:15 PM... oh well.

It's 11:06 ET. fix your clock :P

Perhaps I just live life a few minutes ahead lol

But really, I keep the clock on my computer running fast so that I'm not late for things... Same with my watch and iPhone. Though yes, I'm a few minutes ahead of reality lol

My bedside alarm clock is about 10-15 minutes fast. It wasn't intentional at first, but now I like the fact that I always think I have some extra time or get where I'm going early.
Debate.org Moderator
YYW
Posts: 36,242
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2013 10:21:10 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/1/2013 10:15:30 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
At 8/1/2013 10:05:23 PM, YYW wrote:
At 8/1/2013 10:02:09 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
At 8/1/2013 9:58:45 PM, YYW wrote:
At 8/1/2013 9:51:28 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
At 8/1/2013 9:50:13 PM, YYW wrote:
At 8/1/2013 9:33:41 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
I don't think I could condemn the other person (who I assume is someone I like and would want to spend time with) to insanity and suicide. So being that somehow I managed to put myself in this situation, I'd stick it out for as long as it takes and make the best of it.

What an interesting quasi-prisoner's dilemma... You're a better man than I, Airmax.

It's relieving to see you've returned.

By the way... If I can leave but there is no word on whether if we are both present in the house [the other person] can leave or not, I assume that they either (if given the same choice as me) will choose to act in their rational self interest OR that if they were not presented the same choice as me, that they are condemned to suffer where the only difference is the degree of that suffering. In either case, I see no reason why I should either be made to stay if the other person is presented the same choice as me or why both of us should suffer when one may prosper. However, I would be very interested to know if the other person could leave or not, and if so, if I might follow them out if they walk first (obviously the best choice).

I comprehended very little of this.

That might have to do with the fact that I had a thought but didn't type it all. It's 11:15 PM... oh well.

I would answer you if you have a question. Oh, and it's actually 5:16 in Switzerland. You must be exhausted.

Dude, I live on the east coast. I had an opportunity in Switzerland a little over a year ago, took it, and then made my way back stateside.
Eitan_Zohar
Posts: 2,697
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2013 10:23:15 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/1/2013 10:21:10 PM, YYW wrote:
At 8/1/2013 10:15:30 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
At 8/1/2013 10:05:23 PM, YYW wrote:
At 8/1/2013 10:02:09 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
At 8/1/2013 9:58:45 PM, YYW wrote:
At 8/1/2013 9:51:28 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
At 8/1/2013 9:50:13 PM, YYW wrote:
At 8/1/2013 9:33:41 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
I don't think I could condemn the other person (who I assume is someone I like and would want to spend time with) to insanity and suicide. So being that somehow I managed to put myself in this situation, I'd stick it out for as long as it takes and make the best of it.

What an interesting quasi-prisoner's dilemma... You're a better man than I, Airmax.

It's relieving to see you've returned.

By the way... If I can leave but there is no word on whether if we are both present in the house [the other person] can leave or not, I assume that they either (if given the same choice as me) will choose to act in their rational self interest OR that if they were not presented the same choice as me, that they are condemned to suffer where the only difference is the degree of that suffering. In either case, I see no reason why I should either be made to stay if the other person is presented the same choice as me or why both of us should suffer when one may prosper. However, I would be very interested to know if the other person could leave or not, and if so, if I might follow them out if they walk first (obviously the best choice).

I comprehended very little of this.

That might have to do with the fact that I had a thought but didn't type it all. It's 11:15 PM... oh well.

I would answer you if you have a question. Oh, and it's actually 5:16 in Switzerland. You must be exhausted.

Dude, I live on the east coast. I had an opportunity in Switzerland a little over a year ago, took it, and then made my way back stateside.

Nice save.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
YYW
Posts: 36,242
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2013 10:25:12 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/1/2013 10:23:15 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
At 8/1/2013 10:21:10 PM, YYW wrote:
At 8/1/2013 10:15:30 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
At 8/1/2013 10:05:23 PM, YYW wrote:
At 8/1/2013 10:02:09 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
At 8/1/2013 9:58:45 PM, YYW wrote:
At 8/1/2013 9:51:28 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
At 8/1/2013 9:50:13 PM, YYW wrote:
At 8/1/2013 9:33:41 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
I don't think I could condemn the other person (who I assume is someone I like and would want to spend time with) to insanity and suicide. So being that somehow I managed to put myself in this situation, I'd stick it out for as long as it takes and make the best of it.

What an interesting quasi-prisoner's dilemma... You're a better man than I, Airmax.

It's relieving to see you've returned.

By the way... If I can leave but there is no word on whether if we are both present in the house [the other person] can leave or not, I assume that they either (if given the same choice as me) will choose to act in their rational self interest OR that if they were not presented the same choice as me, that they are condemned to suffer where the only difference is the degree of that suffering. In either case, I see no reason why I should either be made to stay if the other person is presented the same choice as me or why both of us should suffer when one may prosper. However, I would be very interested to know if the other person could leave or not, and if so, if I might follow them out if they walk first (obviously the best choice).

I comprehended very little of this.

That might have to do with the fact that I had a thought but didn't type it all. It's 11:15 PM... oh well.

I would answer you if you have a question. Oh, and it's actually 5:16 in Switzerland. You must be exhausted.

Dude, I live on the east coast. I had an opportunity in Switzerland a little over a year ago, took it, and then made my way back stateside.

Nice save.

Kiddo, you are too invested in my personal life. I remember I told you a while back that I had just woken up at something like 3:30 PM EST and you determined that I lived somewhere in the middle east because of that... what you didn't consider is that I was shitfaced the night before and hung over late into the afternoon lol.
OMGJustinBieber
Posts: 3,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2013 10:27:02 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/1/2013 9:19:28 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
You are in a large house- similar to a mansion- with someone of your age but the opposite sex. This house has no windows, but has enough for a person to get by- lighting that keeps you healthy, a few accessories, stuff like that. There's also an infinite supply of food and oxygen. You could potentially live here in reasonable health for a long period of time, if you could tolerate it. The house exists in an alternate dimension which is virtually empty, aside from the house itself.

There is a door in the house. The door leads through a wormhole. If you open it, you will be able to walk outside on Earth, in your home dimension, but never come back. There's a catch, however- the other person cannot walk out. He/she is condemned to spend their existence inside the house, with its few amenities. If you stay, you may make existence bearable for the other person, but you will never see another person, make another friend (or see any of your old friends or family) read another book, learn anything new, or watch another movie. If you leave, life will be normal for you, but he/she will almost certainly go insane from isolation and eventually kill him/herself.

I'm asking what you would do if you had the choice. Not what you think is the "right" thing to do. What you would do.

Bonus question: Let's say the other person was your spouse/lover/sibling/parent and both of you could walk outside, but you would find yourselves on Earth in two alternate dimensions, both copies of each other. You would never see each other again, but you would be free to live normal lives- or, you could stay together in the house.

I'm one of those people who would probably threaten to leave multiple times and put an enormous amount of stress on the other person but I think given my position I would be entitled to an immense of sex so I'd probably be staying a while.

Is my family searching for me? Are they worried? If that's the case and it's like I'm MIA in the real world then I give it like a week tops.
Eitan_Zohar
Posts: 2,697
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2013 10:27:52 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/1/2013 10:25:12 PM, YYW wrote:
At 8/1/2013 10:23:15 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
At 8/1/2013 10:21:10 PM, YYW wrote:
At 8/1/2013 10:15:30 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
At 8/1/2013 10:05:23 PM, YYW wrote:
At 8/1/2013 10:02:09 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
At 8/1/2013 9:58:45 PM, YYW wrote:
At 8/1/2013 9:51:28 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
At 8/1/2013 9:50:13 PM, YYW wrote:
At 8/1/2013 9:33:41 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
I don't think I could condemn the other person (who I assume is someone I like and would want to spend time with) to insanity and suicide. So being that somehow I managed to put myself in this situation, I'd stick it out for as long as it takes and make the best of it.

What an interesting quasi-prisoner's dilemma... You're a better man than I, Airmax.

It's relieving to see you've returned.

By the way... If I can leave but there is no word on whether if we are both present in the house [the other person] can leave or not, I assume that they either (if given the same choice as me) will choose to act in their rational self interest OR that if they were not presented the same choice as me, that they are condemned to suffer where the only difference is the degree of that suffering. In either case, I see no reason why I should either be made to stay if the other person is presented the same choice as me or why both of us should suffer when one may prosper. However, I would be very interested to know if the other person could leave or not, and if so, if I might follow them out if they walk first (obviously the best choice).

I comprehended very little of this.

That might have to do with the fact that I had a thought but didn't type it all. It's 11:15 PM... oh well.

I would answer you if you have a question. Oh, and it's actually 5:16 in Switzerland. You must be exhausted.

Dude, I live on the east coast. I had an opportunity in Switzerland a little over a year ago, took it, and then made my way back stateside.

Nice save.

Kiddo, you are too invested in my personal life. I remember I told you a while back that I had just woken up at something like 3:30 PM EST and you determined that I lived somewhere in the middle east because of that... what you didn't consider is that I was shitfaced the night before and hung over late into the afternoon lol.

When you make these things ambiguous, it tempts people.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."