Jump to topic:

if you are on the verge of suicide.

suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2013 5:38:27 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
You're feeling down, really down to the point that jumping off the nearest tower seem like a practical solution, or a very strong bottles of wines and brandies....

What do you think you would do in this kind of situation?

Really feel like needing some advice....
FrackJack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2013 5:48:16 AM
At 8/2/2013 5:38:27 AM, suttichart.denpruektham wrote:
You're feeling down, really down to the point that jumping off the nearest tower seem like a practical solution, or a very strong bottles of wines and brandies....

Get bombs and go to the White House and shout "ALLAHU AKABAHR".
: At 8/8/2013 6:15:09 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
: The idiots are rebelling.

http://i.imgur.com...
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2013 5:53:31 AM

Ummm, not kill myself and seek the help of a medical or psychological professional. Obviously that is hard to do, and a good starting step to doing this is to talk with your family, close friends, or anyone you feel that you can trust with this. You need to vocalize what is bothering you, get it out to someone, so that you gain a better understanding of why you are feeling as you are.

Most of the time we think we know what is bothering us, but its not until we vocalize and talk with someone about those things, that we come to understand what is truly the root cause or causes of the depression.

One doesn't want to resort to drinking, that will just add to your depression, and cause one to do something that is entirely stupid. Killing oneself is entirely selfish to do, as though at its face one is simply ceasing ones existence. It actually hurts all those close to you, and leaves them with a scar that they will have for their entire life. Especially in regards to family and close friends.

"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2013 5:58:53 AM
At 8/2/2013 5:48:16 AM, FrackJack wrote:

You are a wretched pathetic excuse for a person. Guy actually wants legitimate advice and seems to be struggling with a very serious issue, and you choose to make fun of not only his race, but suggest he do exactly what he is contemplating doing.

You should honestly just not breed, because passing on the genetics that brought about this kind of mentality, is doing a disservice to humanity.
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
FrackJack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2013 6:01:43 AM
At 8/2/2013 5:58:53 AM, Buddamoose wrote:

You are a wretched pathetic excuse for a person. Guy actually wants legitimate advice and seems to be struggling with a very serious issue, and you choose to make fun of not only his race, but suggest he do exactly what he is contemplating doing.

You should honestly just not breed, because passing on the genetics that brought about this kind of mentality, is doing a disservice to humanity.

Im making fun of his race? lol Its a joke. My bad sense in humor is not caused by genetics. But I admit I went too far.
: At 8/8/2013 6:15:09 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
: The idiots are rebelling.

http://i.imgur.com...
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2013 6:05:19 AM
At 8/2/2013 6:01:43 AM, FrackJack wrote:

Im making fun of his race? lol Its a joke. My bad sense in humor is not caused by genetics. But I admit I went too far.

very well then, proceed to breed away sir, breed away
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
Jack212
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2013 6:20:00 AM

First, remember that death will not solve your problems. Death just makes you dead. No matter how much your life sucks, being alive is always better than being dead.

Second, talk to somebody. I don't mean a therapist, they just want your money. Talk to a friend, no matter how infrequently the two of you communicate. If the first person you try isn't receptive or available, keep going. If you don't have anybody to talk to, go to your local church and confide in the priest. It's their job to help lost souls. If you can't find a priest, call a hotline and talk to them. If that doesn't work, go to the police station and announce your intent to commit suicide so they place you under 24/7 watch. If THAT doesn't work, then you'll just have to work through your problems by yourself.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2013 7:16:01 AM
I'd definitely get on DDO to get some much needed psychiatric advice from strangers on the internet as opposed to trained professionals in real life.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2013 7:20:42 AM
I'd go out and be with someone. That's about all I got. Suicidal tendencies stem from, I think, pessimistic world views. And so dominate them with optimism. Be a loving, fun person, etc.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2013 7:22:47 AM
At 8/2/2013 7:20:42 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
I'd go out and be with someone. That's about all I got. Suicidal tendencies stem from, I think, pessimistic world views. And so dominate them with optimism. Be a loving, fun person, etc.

Not that I'm a trained professional but I might as well be. Don't ever converse with drafterman. That's also important.
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2013 11:48:13 AM

I'd sleep on it.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2013 11:48:56 AM
At 8/2/2013 11:48:13 AM, AlbinoBunny wrote:

I'd sleep on it.

Then I'd go to a doctor and talk to them about it.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2013 12:29:59 PM

I would do something productive, because only being productive get's a person out of emotional doldrums.
Tsar of DDO
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2013 12:58:35 PM
At 8/2/2013 6:05:19 AM, Buddamoose wrote:
At 8/2/2013 6:01:43 AM, FrackJack wrote:

very well then, proceed to breed away sir, breed away

Neither of you should breed. He isn't Arab, he is Thai.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2013 2:24:18 PM
Don't really know until now that it was referring to Arab until now.

Anyway I just asking this for the philosophical perspective. I was in a verge of that level of stress before and on that condition I found it has become less and less convincing to continue to live. Also alcohol is amazingly effective at blowing away that kind of stress, I am so frighten that I would soon submit to alcoholism if things continue that way.

I always find the way to cope up with the stress but it has become increasingly serious, so that my standard method (exercise, good food, music) has become less effective. So I would like to know that if anyone of you have any good advice on managing the stress.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2013 3:13:51 PM
Definitely wouldn't suggest alcoholism either. Such a soothing suggests a feeling of worthlessness on your part though. It's why people drink - to still be loved as drunkards, or, i.e., to expressly deal with their inferiority complex. I mean, if you're still worth something to somebody as a drunkard, then no need for the complex, right?! However, I'm just going to tell you right now that you will still be worth something to somebody and so that you might as well make the most of what you are. Just love dude - that's all you need to do in this world.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2013 3:15:17 PM
At 8/2/2013 3:13:51 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Definitely wouldn't suggest alcoholism either. Such a soothing suggests a feeling of worthlessness on your part though. It's why people drink - to still be loved as drunkards, or, i.e., to expressly deal with their inferiority complex. I mean, if you're still worth something to somebody as a drunkard, then no need for the complex, right?! However, I'm just going to tell you right now that you will still be worth something to somebody and so that you might as well make the most of what you are. Just love dude - that's all you need to do in this world.

And I have very little doubt that you're capable of that! ;)
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2013 3:31:31 PM

I heard once that the most important thing a depressive can do is to get out of the house and just keep moving around and doing stuff.

But, if it were me, I would get a yoga video off of YouTube. That always helps improve my mood. It's basically the same principle at work: you're keeping your brain and body active and you're getting a good workout (so to speak) so your body feels better. Better to do it outside if you can since sunlight improves mood.

I'd also watch a lot of comedy shows.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2013 4:15:10 PM
Remove the source of the stress?

Bad job? Quit.
Bad relationship? Get out of it.

If something is causing you so much stress that you're health and your life is at stake then it's not worth it.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2013 8:03:47 PM
If you're on the verge of suicide (as in, literally having the impulse to kill yourself) then I can only really recommend calling a suicide prevention lifeline.

If you live in the US you can call 1-800-27-TALK.

However, if you don't, I don't exactly know of an international lifeline. However, googling one for your country or area should do the trick.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2013 8:22:09 PM
I think I'm good enough here. I've actually tried to kill myself plenty of times. Never straight out though really, but it's all the same and stemming from the same place. Vbaculm had a good suggestion in watching comedians. Laughter is definitely a great medicine. A shrink's just gonna give you pills and their effect is a mixture of the placebo effect and just straight up obliterating your brain. Believe me, I've done 'em. Love of life is what you need dude, best found in other people I think.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2013 10:27:25 PM
At 8/2/2013 7:16:01 AM, drafterman wrote:
I'd definitely get on DDO to get some much needed psychiatric advice from strangers on the internet as opposed to trained professionals in real life.

Yeah... with all sympathies to the OP, asking anonymous people on the internet for this type of advice is generally a bad idea.

I suggest seeking this type of advice from family and friends.
Debate.org Moderator
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2013 11:22:40 PM
Are all your options in life exhausted that you honestly feel that there is no other choice to deal with your problems? Its a free world. You can do whatever you want with your life and very few people will bat an eye. Your parents might, and maybe a few close friends. Other then that, that's pretty much it.
Open borders debate:
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 4:02:32 AM
At 8/2/2013 3:15:17 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:

trust, at a time that option seem very real. I drink almost three times more under stress and felt like more is needed (able to stop myself there by the way).
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 4:05:11 AM
At 8/2/2013 3:31:31 PM, vbaculum wrote:

I heard once that the most important thing a depressive can do is to get out of the house and just keep moving around and doing stuff.

But, if it were me, I would get a yoga video off of YouTube. That always helps improve my mood. It's basically the same principle at work: you're keeping your brain and body active and you're getting a good workout (so to speak) so your body feels better. Better to do it outside if you can since sunlight improves mood.

I'd also watch a lot of comedy shows.

Never try yoga but the tv show is hardly work any more. I've watch so many show, comedy, music, cooking to stimulate some chemical in my body, in the end it almost felt like a drug. I am overly happy when the show is on but got extremely depress when it's not.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 4:23:52 AM

Well, here's a stopgap measure:

Realize that you have no idea whether killing yourself will make things better or worse. You might think that living at the moment is tough, but what if killing yourself leads to something infinitely worse or, in the case of atheists, nothing at all?

It's a bit like being able to play the lottery as many times as you like, losing nearly every time, but then saying "screw it, I'll stop playing the lottery and hope I get rich."

To paraphrase Vonnegut, being alive is the only game in town.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 9:40:51 AM
At 8/3/2013 4:23:52 AM, Wnope wrote:

Well, here's a stopgap measure:

Realize that you have no idea whether killing yourself will make things better or worse. You might think that living at the moment is tough, but what if killing yourself leads to something infinitely worse or, in the case of atheists, nothing at all?

It's a bit like being able to play the lottery as many times as you like, losing nearly every time, but then saying "screw it, I'll stop playing the lottery and hope I get rich."

To paraphrase Vonnegut, being alive is the only game in town.

That's a really, REALLY, stopgap measure, If it even is effective at all.

The problem is that a lot of advice I'm seeing, including that piece, is that it comes from a nonsuicidal point of view, meaning it demonstrates a lack of understanding of what a suicidal person is feeling, going through, thinking, etc.

LUCKILY, I haven't run across the most abhorrent "advice" I've ever seen in regards to suicide here: the whole "it's selfish to commit suicide and you're only going to hurt your friends and family so so much blah blah blah." But still, a lot of what I see here is coming from a nonunderstanding frame of mind.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 9:59:55 AM
At 8/3/2013 4:02:32 AM, suttichart.denpruektham wrote:
At 8/2/2013 3:15:17 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:

trust, at a time that option seem very real. I drink almost three times more under stress and felt like more is needed (able to stop myself there by the way).

Yeah, I get the feeling dude. I'm Irish; we're a nation of alcoholics. But I know why, too. Because we feel we're inconsequential and we're perturbed by the world.

All you gotta do is love, dude. Once you do that, nobody can really ask anything more of you. And once you do that, things will start to sort themselves out anyway, too. Take it easy, man. There's a whole lot out there worth living life for. And SOBER, mind you.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 10:33:53 AM
My little cousin committed suicide. At 14 years of age, coming from the exact same family setting as me - the eldest sibling with two younger brothers - and I actually think that lends me a bit of perspective to be honest. You know that saying 'everything happens for a reason?' Well, it's a pretty brutal application, yeah, but life goes on, right? And there's no point covering your eyes to the bad of it.

My problem, though, was uncertainty in myself. I spent my life wondering what I was. Was I a monster? Is there a God? Am I even capable of love? In the end, I've figured that I am capable of love, however it came about, and that's good enough for me. But it took me a long while and a lot of penance, nobody having explained to me what I was doing.

Nobody else needs to go through this, though, I don't think. When we're young - just born even - we're scared. And as such, we form ideas and I just don't think they're ever right to be quite honest. Most people come to the idea that it's just them, disturbingly enough; that it's just themselves that they should care about; and then you hear of economic failure, these people losing their jobs or whatever and then committing suicide. They've lost control, which was all they lived for having programmed that in at the beginning and they pretty much just become an empty shell. This is wrong, though.

As the eldest sibling, however, you have your programming challenged pretty early and so it's not so damaging, I think. You lust after power and then you're handed power over your brother or sister who comes next and you'll realize what a fool you've been or you'll kill yourself in penance which was the case with my cousin and nearly myself too. But we were stupid, weren't we? I mean, what was the penance for? Obviously we were a loving creature to have inflicted it upon ourselves, but we still did. We were stupid.

And then this brings us back to everybody else - the man who'll lose his job years and years down the line, say, and commit suicide because he can't support his family. There's his penance, his guilt having been drowned out up until then by his ability to support others, his thoughts that it was right that he do so. His programming hasn't been challenged up until now, but having collapsed he sees himself, in love, for what he was. And he hates himself. Now, he's not beyond control, is he? But he kills himself all the same in self-loathing, uncertainty and guilty, but as a fool most importantly. What's he going to be able to do for his family if he's dead? Nothing. But he kills himself all the same in uncertainty and self-loathing, crippling his family even more so.

Take it from me, a dude who's long-suffered with suicidal thoughts: they stem from your being a good person, and kill you in uncertainty of that fact. Suicide is absolute nonsense, a product of fear. It's pretty much just the devil playing on our good hearts. Don't let him win.