Jump to topic:

Writer's block

cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 2:16:14 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
get up an walk around do something that you know helps you get your head together
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
Magic8000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 2:17:25 PM
Weed. But seriously, I've heard using what's called "Image Streaming" helps. I've heard daydreaming helps with it too.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

"So Magic8000 believes Einstein was a proctologist who was persuaded by the Government and Hitler to fabricate the Theory of Relativity"- GWL-CPA
Jack212
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 3:22:08 PM
At 8/4/2013 2:03:13 PM, Cermank wrote:
Having the worst case of writer's block right now. It looks like I have tourettes, the way its coming out. Any suggestions?

When I get writer's block, it's usually my subconscious telling me that there's a problem with my story. It's not interesting enough, there's a plot hole, somebody's acting out of character, it's not what I want to write, etc. Try taking a break while you re-evaluate stuff.
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 3:47:29 PM
Having the worst case of writer's block right now. It looks like I have tourettes, the way its coming out. Any suggestions?

Write something else for a while.
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 3:50:33 PM
Also look up the web serial "Worm" and the guy who writes it. He adds about 10,000 words every week to his ongoing fiction and doesn't believe writer's block is as serious a thing as people make it out to be. He says even when he's stuck, he writes; even when he's sick, he writes; he gets so much writing done because no matter what, he just writes. He's a big inspiration to me.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 3:55:26 PM
Do something else that is either mindless or deeply intellectually engaging to a point where you are either physically or intellectually exhausted, and then something may occur to you. That's how creativity works...
Tsar of DDO
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 5:19:25 PM

Give yourself an artificial deadline, and ask a friend to hold you to it. Tell your friend that if you don't have your work done by that time, you owe that friend one hundred dollars or so.

Saying you have all of the time in the world absolutely kills creativity.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
EchoRosePhoenix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 8:02:32 PM
Depends on
1.) What you are trying to write (Book, poem, etc.)
and
2.) What the topic is.
Writers block can usually be relieved with the proper mental stimulus which is dependant upon these 2 factors.
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 11:19:31 PM
Whenever I suffer form writer's block, I simply stop working on whatever it is I'm trying to write, and do something else. Eventually the block will lift and you will be able to come back to whatever it is with renewed purpose and intensity, and some fresh ideas.

Other than that, I really haven't found a sure-fire way to "cure" writers block. Sometimes it takes a few hours, sometimes it takes weeks. I would hope you aren't working on a deadline with it, because from my experience, writer's block and deadlines are a poisonous combination.
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 11:38:13 PM
At 8/4/2013 11:25:14 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Guilt will manifest itself with such symptoms - just saying.

Guilt and shame. Both, the most powerful motivators to human action, if properly used.
Tsar of DDO
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 11:44:48 PM
Do nothing. You can't really fix writers block by forcing something through the block. Trust me, I write on a daily basis. The only thing to do is stop writing or write something else. Eventually the block with unblock itself.

Either through a bolt from the blue or a hint or clue or something entirely new, it'll all be on you and it will eventually disappear. Who knew?
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 11:48:59 PM
At 8/4/2013 3:50:33 PM, DakotaKrafick wrote:
Also look up the web serial "Worm" and the guy who writes it. He adds about 10,000 words every week to his ongoing fiction and doesn't believe writer's block is as serious a thing as people make it out to be. He says even when he's stuck, he writes; even when he's sick, he writes; he gets so much writing done because no matter what, he just writes. He's a big inspiration to me.

You have a link? That does sound pretty inspirational.
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2013 12:17:54 PM
At 8/4/2013 11:48:59 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
At 8/4/2013 3:50:33 PM, DakotaKrafick wrote:

You have a link? That does sound pretty inspirational.

This is his web serial...

http://parahumans.wordpress.com...

And this is his profile on Web Fiction Guide...

http://webfictionguide.com...

...I can't seem to find a way to easily search for his old forum posts and I can't find the threads where he said inspirational things. Ah well, I got you half-way there.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2013 12:43:36 PM

Watch this movie. What you will get out of it:

1) Some people are more fvcked up than you ever will be.
2) Sometimes, writing down your problems and such make a great movie.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
Df0512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2013 1:52:40 PM

DDO always helps me. And weed