Jump to topic:

Who People Are

AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2013 1:47:53 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Now this might sound somewhat far-fetched, but it's something I'm genuinely close to ascribing to. Basically, I believe we hold much more sway over who we are than most would commonly conceive. I'll just deal with death, and my experiences of it, for the time being, though.

My grandfather killed himself of hard work. A mighty man, a farmer, his demise began with his lungs, straw having taken him most of the way down, before, one day, his heart just gave out having ate a fine last meal and told a few yarns. I couldn't think of a more fitting way for him to die, but further, it was probably always how he thought he'd go, too.

My grandmother, on the other side, died a more heartbreaking death. She lived a fine life, an independent woman who brought up 7 kids all on her own. Now what must she have been thinking all along, that we might compare her to my grandfather? Well, obviously, she'd be proud of her kids who she alone had brought up, but then that consideration comes with an inverse, too: so proud she was of her independence, the thought to lose it must have been frightening, or at least somewhat depressing. And alas she went by way of debilitating strokes.

My granduncle, a rather holy man who spent his entire life searching after God, also died quite an appropriate death, though most certainly not a pleasant one. He finished up with triple cancer, a manifestation of his doubts perhaps.

Healthy mind = healthy body, no? I find the consideration fascinating anyway. And I can relate the notion to my own physical development rather convincingly, too, I think. Anyone else have any experience of such?

And then maybe we're really bring ourselves down, no? ;D
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2013 1:54:31 AM
My grandfather died in his armchair and as the dead do, emptied his bladder in his passing. To be honest, I took some delight in this: my father, the control freak, having quickly usurped his chair only to sit into a puddle of piss. It was like an admonition from beyond the grave, which I very much appreciated. He was a great man, my grandfather.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2013 1:57:49 AM
You're saying that people tend to die in ways reflecting how they lived? That makes sense, in such that people often die in places and doing things that they normally do. This doesn't account for accidents and murders and such, largely.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2013 8:27:39 AM
At 8/9/2013 1:57:49 AM, Maikuru wrote:
You're saying that people tend to die in ways reflecting how they lived? That makes sense, in such that people often die in places and doing things that they normally do. This doesn't account for accidents and murders and such, largely.

Yes, that was just an easy illustration. And I see a problem with what you're talking about all right, but I'm not so sure to be honest. Always thought there was a great flow to humanity. See my 'Imagined Reality' thread and the bit at the very end about how I have this amazing ability not to be murdered.