Total Posts:64|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

wudaya wana be when you grow up?

1Devilsadvocate
Posts: 1,518
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2013 3:51:25 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Yeah, topic title basically says it all.
As of right now, I'm looking toward becoming an actuary, then perhaps moving from there into the financial/business world, or go for a masters & become a mathematician I.E. Code breaker for the NSA, or go into cyber security type stuff.
After that, I wana be president (of DDO of course) & a fireman/truck.

So, what do you want to be when you grow up?
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
Jack212
Posts: 572
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2013 4:08:19 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/9/2013 3:51:25 AM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:
Yeah, topic title basically says it all.
As of right now, I'm looking toward becoming an actuary, then perhaps moving from there into the financial/business world, or go for a masters & become a mathematician I.E. Code breaker for the NSA, or go into cyber security type stuff.
After that, I wana be president (of DDO of course) & a fireman/truck.

So, what do you want to be when you grow up?

I'm currently studying towards a degree in Genetics. After that, I want to work in genetic engineering... because it's fun.
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2013 9:29:24 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/9/2013 9:27:17 AM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
Immortal. Also, the Messiah.

Yeah, that'd do me actually.
rajun
Posts: 346
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2013 9:31:31 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/9/2013 3:51:25 AM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:
Yeah, topic title basically says it all.
As of right now, I'm looking toward becoming an actuary, then perhaps moving from there into the financial/business world, or go for a masters & become a mathematician I.E. Code breaker for the NSA, or go into cyber security type stuff.
After that, I wana be president (of DDO of course) & a fireman/truck.

So, what do you want to be when you grow up?

................................................

IT professional...
Only cool guys can see this....
Andromeda_Z
Posts: 4,151
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2013 10:01:44 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I have a few possibilities. Right now I'm working on becoming a research chemist, but I'm also considering pathology (and doing autopsies!), microbiology, or something related to mathematics.
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2013 10:06:46 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/9/2013 10:01:44 AM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
I have a few possibilities. Right now I'm working on becoming a research chemist, but I'm also considering pathology (and doing autopsies!), microbiology, or something related to mathematics.

You should be an astronaut.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2013 2:04:11 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I really don't know. I love history and science, but don't see myself amounting to anything those fields. I like, not politics, but government; but I'm not exactly a people's person - actually I'm probably the antithesis of a people's person and I also don't see how I could effectively explain to people what I mean when I say that "I don't think freewill is possible" or that "morality is subjective", and frankly I couldn't simply not mention my philosophical leanings because then some moron would inevitably bring it up and in a manner that would be rhetorically damaging.

In short, what I like doesn't suit me; and what I want, I'm not suited for. my life sucks
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2013 2:06:15 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/9/2013 2:04:11 PM, 000ike wrote:
I really don't know. I love history and science, but don't see myself amounting to anything those fields. I like, not politics, but government; but I'm not exactly a people's person - actually I'm probably the antithesis of a people's person and I also don't see how I could effectively explain to people what I mean when I say that "I don't think freewill is possible" or that "morality is subjective", and frankly I couldn't simply not mention my philosophical leanings because then some moron would inevitably bring it up and in a manner that would be rhetorically damaging.

In short, what I like doesn't suit me; and what I want, I'm not suited for. my life sucks

Hope that's sarcastic.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2013 2:07:55 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/9/2013 2:06:15 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 8/9/2013 2:04:11 PM, 000ike wrote:
I really don't know. I love history and science, but don't see myself amounting to anything those fields. I like, not politics, but government; but I'm not exactly a people's person - actually I'm probably the antithesis of a people's person and I also don't see how I could effectively explain to people what I mean when I say that "I don't think freewill is possible" or that "morality is subjective", and frankly I couldn't simply not mention my philosophical leanings because then some moron would inevitably bring it up and in a manner that would be rhetorically damaging.

In short, what I like doesn't suit me; and what I want, I'm not suited for. my life sucks

Hope that's sarcastic.

No, why would that be sarcastic?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Subutai
Posts: 3,150
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2013 2:10:27 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I love physics and mathematics. I'm open to anything within those two fields, and I'm considering being some kind of computer route. Preferably, I'd want to either be theoretical physicist or a mathematician for some big company.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2013 2:12:10 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/9/2013 2:08:25 PM, Cermank wrote:
I want to be happy.

Don't worry; be happy. Doo, doo, doooo,du,doodly doo...doo. doo. damn it.
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2013 2:13:43 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/9/2013 2:12:10 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
At 8/9/2013 2:08:25 PM, Cermank wrote:
I want to be happy.

Don't worry; be happy. Doo, doo, doooo,du,doodly doo...doo. doo. damn it.

I'm still happy! or sad...I don't even know anymore, but I feel good!
dylancatlow
Posts: 12,242
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2013 2:19:38 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/9/2013 9:31:31 AM, rajun wrote:
At 8/9/2013 3:51:25 AM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:
Yeah, topic title basically says it all.
As of right now, I'm looking toward becoming an actuary, then perhaps moving from there into the financial/business world, or go for a masters & become a mathematician I.E. Code breaker for the NSA, or go into cyber security type stuff.
After that, I wana be president (of DDO of course) & a fireman/truck.

So, what do you want to be when you grow up?

................................................

IT professional...

LOL
rajun
Posts: 346
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2013 2:21:58 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/9/2013 2:19:38 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 8/9/2013 9:31:31 AM, rajun wrote:
At 8/9/2013 3:51:25 AM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:
Yeah, topic title basically says it all.
As of right now, I'm looking toward becoming an actuary, then perhaps moving from there into the financial/business world, or go for a masters & become a mathematician I.E. Code breaker for the NSA, or go into cyber security type stuff.
After that, I wana be president (of DDO of course) & a fireman/truck.

So, what do you want to be when you grow up?

................................................

IT professional...

LOL
......................

and what is funny about that?:-8 IT professional meaning game environment designer and programmer. :-)
Only cool guys can see this....
dylancatlow
Posts: 12,242
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2013 2:22:47 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/9/2013 2:21:58 PM, rajun wrote:
At 8/9/2013 2:19:38 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 8/9/2013 9:31:31 AM, rajun wrote:
At 8/9/2013 3:51:25 AM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:
Yeah, topic title basically says it all.
As of right now, I'm looking toward becoming an actuary, then perhaps moving from there into the financial/business world, or go for a masters & become a mathematician I.E. Code breaker for the NSA, or go into cyber security type stuff.
After that, I wana be president (of DDO of course) & a fireman/truck.

So, what do you want to be when you grow up?

................................................

IT professional...

LOL
......................

and what is funny about that?:-8 IT professional meaning game environment designer and programmer. :-)

Oh...NVMMMM :)
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2013 2:28:25 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/9/2013 2:07:55 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/9/2013 2:06:15 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 8/9/2013 2:04:11 PM, 000ike wrote:
I really don't know. I love history and science, but don't see myself amounting to anything those fields. I like, not politics, but government; but I'm not exactly a people's person - actually I'm probably the antithesis of a people's person and I also don't see how I could effectively explain to people what I mean when I say that "I don't think freewill is possible" or that "morality is subjective", and frankly I couldn't simply not mention my philosophical leanings because then some moron would inevitably bring it up and in a manner that would be rhetorically damaging.

In short, what I like doesn't suit me; and what I want, I'm not suited for. my life sucks

Hope that's sarcastic.

No, why would that be sarcastic?

Well...

Now, before I begin, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE forgive me if I sound like one of those adults that act like they have all the answers or whatever, you know I hate such attitudes more than anything else (although generally that only applies to these rants about how people "have no reason to be depressed" or some such idiocy). And believe me, I'm not trying to antagonize you at all: the exact opposite. However:

I think that it's entirely unfair to assess that your life sucks because you "aren't suited for" what you want. Basically, to the issue of what you're suited for, I'd say "Who gives a sh1t? Fvcking do it anyway." Life is not based around only doing what you are "suited," or "made" to do. It's solely about doing what you want. I want to go to a a top tier school and write for a living. Are either of those especially likely? Am I suited for either, especially with the fact that I come from a really working-class, poor family? No. I'm still going to do it, or try, anyway.

Yes, I know it's sounding like one of those d1ck-measuring contests about who has it worse or whatever, but it isn't, I swear. The point is that you just have to do what you WANT to do, or try as hard as you can, because that's essentially the only option you have. You could do something you hate, and then you eventually die, and that's it (to both your and my beliefs). No more life after that, and you just spent however many decades doing sh1t you hate because that's what "suits you."

And frankly, man, you definitely have the likelihood to accomplish what you want, regardless of predetermined predilections. From what I've heard you say in the past, you have so many prospects that others don't, even relative to the living in a superpower nation. That isn't to say "Shut up, you ungrateful whiner," but I just want you to try and recognize that you aren't as fvcked as you may think, and that your life doesn't suck (at least when only factoring in the "future job" issue).
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
dylancatlow
Posts: 12,242
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2013 2:30:38 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/9/2013 2:04:11 PM, 000ike wrote:
I really don't know. I love history and science, but don't see myself amounting to anything those fields. I like, not politics, but government; but I'm not exactly a people's person - actually I'm probably the antithesis of a people's person and I also don't see how I could effectively explain to people what I mean when I say that "I don't think freewill is possible" or that "morality is subjective", and frankly I couldn't simply not mention my philosophical leanings because then some moron would inevitably bring it up and in a manner that would be rhetorically damaging.

In short, what I like doesn't suit me; and what I want, I'm not suited for. my life sucks

I thought you decided to become a lawyer?
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2013 2:51:39 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
@DN: It wasn't intended to be spoiled complaining, I just meant that most people seem so sure of what they want to do and feel that way because they have attributes that suggest that they would be happy and successful at it. Not having any of that seems like a guarantee for an unhappy future, whether or not I do pursue what I want.

@Dylan: I think it's a mistake for me to go through 7 years of college only to get a career-transit job that I don't care for. There's really nothing interesting about being a lawyer.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Jack212
Posts: 572
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2013 5:48:28 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/9/2013 2:04:11 PM, 000ike wrote:
I really don't know. I love history and science, but don't see myself amounting to anything those fields. I like, not politics, but government; but I'm not exactly a people's person - actually I'm probably the antithesis of a people's person and I also don't see how I could effectively explain to people what I mean when I say that "I don't think freewill is possible" or that "morality is subjective", and frankly I couldn't simply not mention my philosophical leanings because then some moron would inevitably bring it up and in a manner that would be rhetorically damaging.

In short, what I like doesn't suit me; and what I want, I'm not suited for. my life sucks

Why don't you do a science major and then become a policy analyst? Or you could just do it for the university degree and then become a chef or something, I know one guy who did that. You don't have to become a scientist or historian, there are plenty of other things you can do with those degrees.
imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2013 9:41:46 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Im a bench
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2013 9:57:36 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I really really really want to be rich. Cross your fingers, guys!
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2013 10:25:36 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/9/2013 9:57:36 PM, Maikuru wrote:
I really really really want to be rich. Cross your fingers, guys!

Change your name to Rich. Then you've accomplished your goal.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
Contra
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2013 10:48:54 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Not sure yet.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan