Jump to topic:

Facebook

Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2013 5:47:53 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I've never made an FB account, but have been thinking of it lately. I dislike the idea of people rambling on about their nonsensical everyday deeds, but being in easy touch with some people seems like a good idea.

What's your take on your use of FB, and what are common upsides/downsides? Any regrets? Thanks.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2013 6:01:08 PM
At 8/25/2013 5:47:53 PM, Mirza wrote:
I've never made an FB account, but have been thinking of it lately. I dislike the idea of people rambling on about their nonsensical everyday deeds, but being in easy touch with some people seems like a good idea.

What's your take on your use of FB, and what are common upsides/downsides? Any regrets? Thanks.

I did, but the account was frozen when it wanted a phone number.
Tsar of DDO
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2013 6:06:19 PM
I made one when I moved 4 years ago, so that I could keep up with friends. I use it like once a month. Well, more so now because I have the app on my ipad and it tells me when I have notifications.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2013 6:10:18 PM
Interesting. About social circles, I read that Google+ has an option where you can assign your friends to various groups. You can share a photo with say, school friends rather than family members. Does FB have this?
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2013 6:12:37 PM
You used to need one for Spotify, that's why I have one. Spotify is great.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2013 6:13:17 PM
At 8/25/2013 6:12:37 PM, lewis20 wrote:
You used to need one for Spotify, that's why I have one. Spotify is great.
Eh, not on my phone. Works with GMail. Perhaps on PC.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2013 6:15:18 PM
At 8/25/2013 6:10:18 PM, Mirza wrote:
Interesting. About social circles, I read that Google+ has an option where you can assign your friends to various groups. You can share a photo with say, school friends rather than family members. Does FB have this?

Sort of, but it's a little clunkier. The problem with Google+ is just that fewer people are on it.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2013 6:19:19 PM
At 8/25/2013 6:15:18 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
At 8/25/2013 6:10:18 PM, Mirza wrote:

Sort of, but it's a little clunkier. The problem with Google+ is just that fewer people are on it.
Indeed. -- I just made an account, and just browsing some profiles of friends, it feels completely different than one would expect. Kinda strange. Interesting for sure.
Magic8000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2013 6:32:17 PM
I've had 2 FB accounts. I lost the password to my first one and my second one I hardly go on. DDO is the only social site I like to use.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

"So Magic8000 believes Einstein was a proctologist who was persuaded by the Government and Hitler to fabricate the Theory of Relativity"- GWL-CPA
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2013 7:06:22 PM
My ex GF got me to start a FB account about ten years ago, and I eventually closed it about a year ago. My thoughts:

- It is a sinkhole for your time. It's way too easy just to log in and scroll down the newsfeed, looking at what people are talking about, and viewing their pages. It becomes natural just to go to the laptop and log in just to waste away instead of doing more important things.

- What you see on FB, while you are technically "connected" to the people you want, is not really what they are like in RL. For one thing, many people post, and many others never use it, so it's very skewed as to who you actually see. Second, many people just post memes and news articles, which really has nothing to do with them personally. Many others just whine about senseless BS, or make petty comments about nothingness. There's not a whole lot of quality interaction on there. The live chat option theoretically would help you out, but that doesn't work well either because people log in for a minute or two at a time, and even if they are "online" they will usually have to take off very quickly once a conversation starts.

- I've lost friends on FB before, because of misunderstandings, politics, and misplaced sarcasm. The contacts I did meet were transients that I never spoke to in RL or had any meaningful reason to keep up with.

- It is sort of exciting when you first get on to reconnect with certain people, but you'll find the appeal short-lived once you see what they look like and say "hi." Often, you'll realize there was a reason you didn't keep up with them -_-

- A phone call to the people you really care about is much more intimate and informative than chatting on FB. You can chat with somebody online for years and learn more about them in one phone call than you ever did online.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2013 7:17:22 PM
At 8/25/2013 7:06:22 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
My ex GF got me to start a FB account about ten years ago, and I eventually closed it about a year ago. My thoughts:

- It is a sinkhole for your time. It's way too easy just to log in and scroll down the newsfeed, looking at what people are talking about, and viewing their pages. It becomes natural just to go to the laptop and log in just to waste away instead of doing more important things.

- What you see on FB, while you are technically "connected" to the people you want, is not really what they are like in RL. For one thing, many people post, and many others never use it, so it's very skewed as to who you actually see. Second, many people just post memes and news articles, which really has nothing to do with them personally. Many others just whine about senseless BS, or make petty comments about nothingness. There's not a whole lot of quality interaction on there. The live chat option theoretically would help you out, but that doesn't work well either because people log in for a minute or two at a time, and even if they are "online" they will usually have to take off very quickly once a conversation starts.

- I've lost friends on FB before, because of misunderstandings, politics, and misplaced sarcasm. The contacts I did meet were transients that I never spoke to in RL or had any meaningful reason to keep up with.

- It is sort of exciting when you first get on to reconnect with certain people, but you'll find the appeal short-lived once you see what they look like and say "hi." Often, you'll realize there was a reason you didn't keep up with them -_-

- A phone call to the people you really care about is much more intimate and informative than chatting on FB. You can chat with somebody online for years and learn more about them in one phone call than you ever did online.
Thanks, and I happen to agree. I know what people do -- seeing it first hand confirms my presumptions. It's obvious there's about zero intimacy going on. Well, that's the modern world, eh?
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2013 11:23:18 PM
Facebook is kinda like a newspaper for what ll your friends are up to, which comes in handy for people you liked and used to hang out with all the time but no longer hang out with.

The more interesting friends you have on facebook, the better it becomes. I use my facebook to defrag my head of all the crazy so I can live a semi-normal life in real life
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2013 11:58:03 PM

Pros
- Staying connected with friends and family far and near.
- Connecting with folks around the world.
- Having the ability to reach multiple friends with one post.
- Seeing what friends are up to.
- Pages (not walls) offer an ability to get your products, talents, or whatever to reach billions of people around the world. Facebook has the largest membership in the world on the internet.
- Groups are great for connecting with others that share similar interests.
- Community games allow you to play with friends if you are into those type of things. (I hate them myself and getting invites can be annoying so I just block all game invites when they come.)

Cons
- Facebook collects all your info including all web browsing whether you are logged into the site or not and they save this info into a database which they sell to advertisers and give freely to gov't authorities whenever they request it from facebook even without your knowledge. You consent by agreeing to the Terms of Service. (this is not some weird conspiracy theory...facebook has admitted to possessing the technology to track ALL your internet browsing, web searches, and purchases made over the internet. And where you are traveling whether or not you are using the location sign-in.)
- Employers and prospective employers monitor employees walls.
- Some people are stalkers and will use any personal info you may post against you.
- Having to read posts from people that use facebook as a place to dump their issues on everyone in hopes they will generate sympathy from others. This is dangerous I might add. Do NOT post anything on facebook if you don't want it used against you later. Nothing is private on this site.
- Identity thieves love to use facebook to create accounts on other sites using your name, pics, and information. Don't be surprised if you end up receiving threats from people after they have been conned by a thief using your identity.
- Spam...no explanation needed.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2013 11:58:55 PM
At 8/25/2013 11:23:18 PM, imabench wrote:
Facebook is kinda like a newspaper for what ll your friends are up to, which comes in handy for people you liked and used to hang out with all the time but no longer hang out with.

The more interesting friends you have on facebook, the better it becomes. I use my facebook to defrag my head of all the crazy so I can live a semi-normal life in real life

Holy sh!t yes. I can attest to this.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2013 12:37:57 AM

I largely agree with Robillion (or whatever his name his).
I have found it a fun place to see other POVs on politics, but, most of these people only want a circle jerk. The people who post 5-20 items per day rarely comment on their posts, so it appear largely an excercise in self-gratitude.

Perhaps, for political discussion, it would be better if I commented on people I agree with, but that's no fun, and hardly entertaining/informative. As a result, I am often ignored, banned from pages (OccupyMN), or simply have my posts deleted by the page mod.

I think overall, Facebook is okay to meet up with and stay in touch on a superficial level, but if you want deeper connections, then probably stay away.

However, I do play games on it, which are often fun, but you need your friends to play to get anywhere, so it quickly becomes annoying.
My work here is, finally, done.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2013 11:42:50 AM
Thanks Ima, WSA, and Khaos. Much of what you've said has long kept me off of FB, and some of it made me give it a go. Nonetheless -- I've browsed it for some time now, and it definitely is NOT as entertaining as I expected. It's literally filled with a bunch of bimbos striking their egos, posting images of every step they take, and complimenting each others' massive egos.

I expect that by getting to know more intellectual people (I quite frankly lost touch of any of those), it will be a better experience. There's no fun in seeing known faces just sharing everything that happens in their boring and monotonic lives. (Not to mention how similar people are in this country - in terms of everything.) I'll make sure not to befriend any unnecessary nuts.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2013 8:52:02 PM
Mirza if there's one thing I can say to the detriment of FB (which goes for any social-networking site including this one) aside from the points I've already given, it's that it starts to replace real-life interactions that otherwise might occur if you weren't on the computer typing. The greatest people are not sitting behind a computer screen typing at this very moment, they are out there in the world doing real things. Clubs, non-profit groups, bars, cafes, gyms, churches... our time online replaces the time we might otherwise use for things like this where our interactions are orders of magnitude more meaningful than anything online. Over the last year and a half I have been weaning myself off the computer, because I've become addicted to sitting online all night. I'm going to go support a local band in town here and dance it up instead. That's another big issue these days - support. Local organizations need your support because they are fading away as more people sit online and don't become involved. When I go to church, help out volunteering, or even go see bands, there's a noticeable decrease in the amount of younger people who are there. Communities cannot thrive with people vegging out online.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Mysterious_Stranger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 3:01:26 PM
Facebook is just a cesspit of illegible crap and pointless opinions that are if anything, made to make people depressed.
Turn around, go back.
Jack212
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 4:52:33 PM

Don't use Facebook.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 4:53:36 PM
is so overrated
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 5:33:00 PM
Good points from above.

It seems to me that the best thing about this is the easy form of communication. If I need to share files with my classmates, or get some school related info, FB is a good place for that.

Talking to old friends or geographically distant relatives is overrated. You greet each other, and forget it. Nothing exciting whatsoever. I expected some nice open chats between people I got on my friend list, but even one thread on this site gets more of such activity in an hour than anything on FB.

I browsed through some people's images, and most of them are filled with selfies, and "friends" just throwing away compliments. Nothing wrong with real compliments, but same guys/girls commenting on people's profiles with the same words is silly. Again, nothing of substance.

There is a temptation to engage in some discussions, like on our forums, but I avoid it because it's not useful. You will rarely convince someone there of anything. A massive amount of people are there to get attention, not facts.

It's a good communication tool, but the way people use it is dull.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 5:47:26 PM

Though I have a facebook I rarely use it. It's slowly dying with this fast paste moving social media so I think it's a good idea to lay off of it before it collapses.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~