Jump to topic:

Donating Blood.

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 5:59:36 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Well I donated today, it was interesting. They missed placing the needle twice! I hurt like a MOFO. The reason I donated blood was for religious reasons and that I had to make myself right with God by "saving a life," I then had to walk 3 miles home in the Topekan heat and it was terrible and I was very tired and dizzy, but I made it. Does anyone have any crazy blood donation stories?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 6:15:28 PM
I'd like to start donating. I'm a universal donor so I probably should.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 7:23:34 PM
I'd really like to do that too but i don't even know my blood type or anything. Does that matter, or do they test it there?
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 7:30:09 PM
At 8/29/2013 5:59:36 PM, lannan13 wrote:
Well I donated today, it was interesting. They missed placing the needle twice! I hurt like a MOFO. The reason I donated blood was for religious reasons and that I had to make myself right with God by "saving a life," I then had to walk 3 miles home in the Topekan heat and it was terrible and I was very tired and dizzy, but I made it. Does anyone have any crazy blood donation stories?

One of my uncles had to go to the hospital because his boner pill lasted longer then four hours, so to fix it they actually withdrew blood directly from his shlong to make it go away. Later he ended up giving blood out of his arm since he was already halfway there, and so technically he donated blood out of his arm and his p*nis.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 7:49:57 PM
At 8/29/2013 7:30:09 PM, imabench wrote:
One of my uncles had to go to the hospital because his boner pill lasted longer then four hours, so to fix it they actually withdrew blood directly from his shlong to make it go away.

Woah, so that's what they do? I've always wondered...
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 10:49:58 PM
That reminds me, I need to get back into doing this. I prefer to donate double units of red cells and platelets (they run your blood through centrifuge to take out the cells and platelets and put the plasma back). You donate half as often, but you don't get light headed or dizzy because they put it back (they also slip a drug in there for you stoners to enjoy if you like tingly lips and finger tips).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2013 12:14:02 AM
I am a human pincushion due to blood tests fairly typical of old age. The top tip is to try to get an old lady or old man for the phlebotomist. They are really good at finding the vein without fishing around. Do not volunteer to help a new person learn the craft. That will hurt a whole lot. Done right, it's just a pin prick.

Be aware that a few people have a phobia for the sight of blood. That's not common, but if it bothers you don't look.

The modern method for drawing blood for blood tests is to put in a needle with a tube that goes to another needle that's in a safety sleeve. They can then fill a series of small vials using the output needle. One of my friends has tests requiring twelve vials!

Once I had one of the small vials break while it was being filled, splattering blood over the white tile floor. They had apparently never had this happen before, and no one knew what to do. It was quite a scene. You'd think that would be about number three on the list of contingent procedures.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2013 12:30:01 AM

One time, while I was living at home, I donated blood, then went home...my folks went out and I decided to do some yard work in the Arizona heat. I didn't pass out, but I got tired, so I took a drink and then lay down in a shady spot in the back yard...which was visible from the street when my parents came home and they Freaked the F*ck out, assuming I was unconscious. I heard running, and they were all frantic...I was just like "Huh?"
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2013 12:35:40 AM
At 8/29/2013 7:23:34 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
I'd really like to do that too but i don't even know my blood type or anything. Does that matter, or do they test it there?

It's nice to know in general, but unnecessary. They'll test it for you...if you do it through the red cross they'll let you know what it is, too.

A-...because I'm too lazy to get an A+ even genetically.

(Side note, the blood type designations are generally generic sciency things...except that you'll hear "Rh", which is what we're talking about for + and -, Rh +, Rh - (and strictly speaking I think it's Rh D for the most important one)...the Rh stands for "Rhesus" because they found the type of antigens in testing of prodcution using Rhesus monkey blood. Monkeys! The more you know! starwhoosh)
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2013 12:39:31 AM
At 8/30/2013 12:14:02 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
I am a human pincushion due to blood tests fairly typical of old age. The top tip is to try to get an old lady or old man for the phlebotomist. They are really good at finding the vein without fishing around. Do not volunteer to help a new person learn the craft. That will hurt a whole lot. Done right, it's just a pin prick.

I almost punched a tech who went on a fishing expedition in my wife's arm once...

For the record, there is a difference between blood draws and IV placement (the former easier than the latter). Blood draws are not fricking rocket science, and it's not that dang hard to find a dang vein. My sense of medical professional pride as a paramedic gets pretty enraged when I see it done poorly by phlebotomists.

The modern method for drawing blood for blood tests is to put in a needle with a tube that goes to another needle that's in a safety sleeve. They can then fill a series of small vials using the output needle. One of my friends has tests requiring twelve vials!

Once I had one of the small vials break while it was being filled, splattering blood over the white tile floor. They had apparently never had this happen before, and no one knew what to do. It was quite a scene. You'd think that would be about number three on the list of contingent procedures.

It's not.

The way those vials work is they're a vacuum, so when they plug it into the vacutainer port, it's supposed to just suck all the blood in from pressure. I've literally never had or seen one break...but considering we're talking about glass, and difference in air pressure, it's not hard at all to believe.
LevelWithMe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2013 12:51:49 AM
At 8/29/2013 7:23:34 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
They will test you if you don't know your type.

However, on occasion they will only take certain blood types due to the quantity of people they are drawing blood from and the quantity of blood they have the capacity to store properly. I'm not sure what the frequency of this is, as I don't have any professional knowledge on the matter, but it's happened to me twice in two different locations. They wouldn't take my type(and other common types) due to storage and transportation constraints.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2013 12:59:20 AM
I gave blood once but I pass out every time. Even if it's just a blood test I pass out. I've never understood it, the taking of the blood is always fine but I start walking down the hallway after words and inevitably I go right to ground. Eventually just stopped trying. having really low blood pressure probably has something to do with it.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2013 6:37:40 PM
At 8/29/2013 7:49:57 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
At 8/29/2013 7:30:09 PM, imabench wrote:
One of my uncles had to go to the hospital because his boner pill lasted longer then four hours, so to fix it they actually withdrew blood directly from his shlong to make it go away.

Woah, so that's what they do? I've always wondered...

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2013 6:49:33 PM

It generally takes copious amounts of people donating blood to simply prolong the life of a person.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2013 6:51:00 PM
At 8/30/2013 6:49:33 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

It generally takes copious amounts of people donating blood to simply prolong the life of a person.

I know but they always tell us donate blood to save lives.

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2013 6:54:12 PM
At 8/30/2013 6:51:00 PM, lannan13 wrote:

He's right, hospitals need a sh!t load of blood (that's the official measurement), so donate often!
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2013 7:40:38 PM

And kudos to you. But you didn't actually "save a life."
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2013 7:23:15 AM
At 8/29/2013 10:49:58 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
That reminds me, I need to get back into doing this. I prefer to donate double units of red cells and platelets (they run your blood through centrifuge to take out the cells and platelets and put the plasma back). You donate half as often, but you don't get light headed or dizzy because they put it back (they also slip a drug in there for you stoners to enjoy if you like tingly lips and finger tips).

That's a little misleading, double reds effect different people differently during the process and with everyone recovery takes the longest of all the types of blood donation. I'm an 0- universal donor and lifelong participant because the Red Cross convinced me it was my civic duty to save lives back when I was a teenager, f40 years they've called me with a new crisis every 56 days. It actually started in high school when we found you could donate Friday afternoon and get rip roaring drunk on only a couple beers that night, we must have run five million steps after our wrestling coach found out about this great discovery of ours LOL.

Anyway, the only problem I ever had donating was after double reds, a couple decades ago I passed out at a real bad time to pass out, it was the next day after giving double reds and I almost died, so I've been a whole unit every 56 days guy ever since. That doesn't mean don't do double reds, it just means don't be a dumbass, instead be careful, pay attention, and follow the guidelines for at least a couple weeks after giving.

You are more inclined to get light headed or dizzy for a few days, sometimes a few weeks after giving double reds, you probably will feel less dizzy during the actual procedure, but you are much more inclined after. Light headed or dizzy isn't such a big deal when you are sitting at the Red Cross office with trained people paying attention and watching over you, but it's certainly dangerous afterwards, when you are driving, on a ladder, or playing sports for instance (I passed out and rolled off a second story rooftop). The fact is double reds is going to negatively affect your oxygen uptake for a while, that will degrade performance and under the right circumstances make you light headed or dizzy...and of course Murphy's Law says it will be exactly when you don't want to be dizzy. Just make sure you stay hydrated afterwards and pay attention to how you feel for the next week or so. Also, you never want to give double reds within two to four months before an athletic competition, it will absolutely degrade your athletic performance.

That said, there can also be competitive benefits if you know how to use it. I've known serious athletes that made giving double reds part of their training regimen, especially to prepare for a competition at high altitudes. With serious athletes it's commonly believed that over time giving double reds builds stamina because your body learns to adapt and becomes more efficient at oxygen uptake. I'm told that back in the 60s, half the serious marathoners in the world gave double reds for a couple years before the Mexico City Olympics so they could quit four or five months before and deal better with the lower oxygen levels. Don't know if that actually works but at that level of competition athletes will try anything and swear to it. I've also known a significant number of wrestlers that will swear standing on your head for ten minutes before a weigh in makes you lighter, there's something about serious competition that makes people believe strange things, but the double reds thing kind of makes sense. I understand it's a common practice among mountain climbers also.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2013 7:48:30 AM
At 8/30/2013 7:40:38 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

You've turned being full of crap into an art form, I guess it's because of so much practice.

The fact is, he may very well have actually saved a life, a single unit of blood can actually save three lives. It's true that the typical transfusion is three pints, sometimes a patient needs a hundred units, but having enough blood when it's needed saves lives, and every donation plays a part in a massive life saving process. The number one cause of death in traumatic injury is loss of blood, transfusions are life saving for a broad number of illnesses and treatments.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2013 10:07:20 AM
At 9/1/2013 7:48:30 AM, Sidewalker wrote:
At 8/30/2013 7:40:38 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

You've turned being full of crap into an art form, I guess it's because of so much practice.

The fact is, he may very well have actually saved a life, a single unit of blood can actually save three lives. It's true that the typical transfusion is three pints, sometimes a patient needs a hundred units, but having enough blood when it's needed saves lives, and every donation plays a part in a massive life saving process. The number one cause of death in traumatic injury is loss of blood, transfusions are life saving for a broad number of illnesses and treatments.

Right, but in all likelihood, his donation did not exclusively and solely save a life.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2013 10:07:35 AM
Somebody needs to figure out how to make blood.
devinni01841
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2013 11:53:03 PM
I'm an O NEG and I donate fairly frequently. I prefer to donate with ASPB (they send blood directly to deployed troops that need it, a cause that is very close to my heart) But I also Donate with Carter. (got an awesome shirt that says something about surviving a zombie attack. looks like this- - that's not me, btw :P http://twicsy.com...)

sooo yeah, I donate.
There is nothing more bad-@ss than being yourself.

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

Member of the Texas Army National Guard since 20111212

An Armed society is a polite society.