Jump to topic:

Does envy really work as a motivator?

wn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2013 4:49:43 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Can it work even if you are addicted to something? The fact I envy others' qualities can motivate me, but it usually fades because of an addiction of mine (gaming, even though I'm getting bored of my small game collection, and the fact I suck at the games making me give up for only the day or two and want to cry to myself in a few occasions) or how hard the goals I'm looking to achieve to be like them, or when trying to achieve other, unrelated goals such as learning a skill to gain an upper hand over something I disagree with are.
wn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2013 4:54:59 PM
Sometimes, I avoid things, because I could find fault with them. I could probably feel something may be wrong with the goal I'm pursuing or whatever it is I find a little off.
llamainmypocket
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2013 2:45:00 PM
To directly answer you're question. Yes, it can be a source of motivation. But if envy is resenting others for what they have then I wouldn't recommend embracing it as a personal philosophy because it will also make resentment normal. I think that leads to hatred, intolerance, and intellectual dishonesty.