Send a Message
9/5/2013 7:36:31 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
golf

3d modeling

and....

level design

(they're all actually very difficult)
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2013 8:19:41 PM
1. piano
2. sculpting
3. biology and higher level physics - just, science in general. I love science - it puts philosophy to shame.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2013 9:05:26 PM
At 9/5/2013 8:19:41 PM, 000ike wrote:
1. piano
2. sculpting
3. biology and higher level physics - just, science in general. I love science - it puts philosophy to shame.

lolokay
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2013 9:18:49 PM
We have a dictionary in our heads, the most commonly used words of which are at the top, these also generally being the simplest words or combinations of words. When we lie, however, we dig deeper, as we're trying to conceal the fact that we're lying and feel that in doing so we're helping our cause. It's noob, but that's us. 'lolwut' is one such saying, or whatever you'd call it, that resides in the deeper levels of your brain's dictionary unless brought to the top by culture. It's just too try-hard, i.e., already accounted for in most of our brain's dictionaries.

#ifitaintbrokedontfixit
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2013 9:24:40 PM
At 9/5/2013 9:05:26 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
1. piano
2. sculpting

lolokay

I don't see philosophy curing cancer any time soon :P
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2013 9:29:57 PM
Ever heard the saying 'Mind over matter,' 000ike? In my experience people seem to have a whole lot of say over how they die, that it's what they fear most that gets them.

#deadserious
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2013 9:35:10 PM
My mother was telling me a story recently about one of my neighbours who died recently of a brain tumour. He used to live over in England with a few others or whatever and they witnessed someone dying tragically of a brain tumour. Since then there was my neighbour who has died of one and another person who lived with him and shared that tragic experience. My mother just thought it was spooky, but maybe there's a whole lot deeper to it, no? I certainly think so given the deaths I've witnessed anyway.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2013 10:17:35 PM
At 9/5/2013 9:24:40 PM, 000ike wrote:
1. piano
2. sculpting

lolokay

The Fool: It's not a dichotomy. Cement Head. You put your Mom to shame..

<(89)
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2013 10:25:48 PM
At 9/5/2013 10:17:35 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
1. piano
2. sculpting

lolokay

<(89)

Nothing in my post presupposed a dichotomy. There is no contribution from the field of philosophy in the discovery or development of man's most revolutionary advancements - that's all science and research. Where the two fields over lap, at best, is where philosophy analyses the suppositions of the process of observation.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2013 11:25:30 PM
At 9/5/2013 10:25:48 PM, 000ike wrote:

Nothing in my post presupposed a dichotomy. There is no contribution from the field of philosophy in the discovery or development of man's most revolutionary advancements - that's all science and research. Where the two fields over lap, at best, is where philosophy analyses the suppositions of the process of observation.

I wonder then, why it's called a Doctorate of Philosophy. [sarcasm]
yang.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2013 11:31:12 PM
Something to consider: An idea can change the world, and those ideas come from philosophers. It was ideas that started the reformation (the ideas of a theologian, i.e. a philosopher of theology). Ideas started the American and French revolutions, from philosophers. Ideas challenged the notion that a monarch should have absolute power, that men were born into a caste by nature which ordered society, that any man should ever be a sovereign. Ideas gave way to communism's rise and fall; ideas from philosophers. Ideas from philosophers have shaped man's conception of and belief or lack of belief in the divine since the beginning of time. Philosophy laid the groundwork for empirical science.
Tsar of DDO
leojm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2013 11:42:38 PM
At 9/5/2013 9:21:33 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
You guys seem to break out in lolwhatevers when I come around - sorry.

not true, not all of us.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2013 11:46:59 PM
At 9/5/2013 11:31:12 PM, YYW wrote:
Something to consider: An idea can change the world, and those ideas come from philosophers. It was ideas that started the reformation (the ideas of a theologian, i.e. a philosopher of theology). Ideas started the American and French revolutions, from philosophers. Ideas challenged the notion that a monarch should have absolute power, that men were born into a caste by nature which ordered society, that any man should ever be a sovereign. Ideas gave way to communism's rise and fall; ideas from philosophers. Ideas from philosophers have shaped man's conception of and belief or lack of belief in the divine since the beginning of time. Philosophy laid the groundwork for empirical science.

This. All the sciences were born out of Philosophy. It would be like saying Biology is more important than the theory of Evolution because Evolution hasn't done anything for us in the real world, when Evolution is a guiding principle by which Biology operates.
yang.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2013 11:59:34 PM
1. piano
2. sculpting

lolokay

<(89)

Nothing in my post presupposed a dichotomy. There is no contribution from the field of philosophy in the discovery or development of man's most revolutionary advancements - that's all science and research.

The Fool: " Most revolutionary advancements" lol

<(8D)

Good luck defining that. To yourself.

I think Natural Science itself, and the other Sciences, and the Scientific method, and its advancement over the years are quite a contribution.?

000ike: Where the two fields over lap, at best, is where philosophy analyses the suppositions of the process of observation.

The Fool: Natural philosophy is natural science renamed, Philosophy is the Meta-Knowledge. And there is The philosophy of science.

The term scientist has only been around for 120 yearsbut Modern Science has been around for 500 and what do you think they were called/

Newton recognize himself as a philosopher.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2013 12:06:29 AM

Philosophy is cooler for mental masturbation though.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2013 8:10:48 PM
At 9/5/2013 11:59:34 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
1. piano
2. sculpting

lolokay

<(89)

Nothing in my post presupposed a dichotomy. There is no contribution from the field of philosophy in the discovery or development of man's most revolutionary advancements - that's all science and research.

The Fool: " Most revolutionary advancements" lol

<(8D)

Good luck defining that. To yourself.

I think Natural Science itself, and the other Sciences, and the Scientific method, and its advancement over the years are quite a contribution.?

000ike: Where the two fields over lap, at best, is where philosophy analyses the suppositions of the process of observation.

The Fool: Natural philosophy is natural science renamed, Philosophy is the Meta-Knowledge. And there is The philosophy of science.

The term scientist has only been around for 120 yearsbut Modern Science has been around for 500 and what do you think they were called/

Newton recognize himself as a philosopher.

Properties of scientific inquiry
Scientific knowledge is CLOSLY tied to"empirical"findings, but not merely, and always remains subject to"falsification"if new experimental observation incompatible with it is found."

The scientific revolution"was the emergence of"modern science"during the"early modern period, when developments in"mathematics,physics,"astronomy,"biology,"medicine, and"chemistry"transformed views of society and nature.[1][2][3][4][5][6][7]"

"1611 the English poet,John Donne, wrote:
[The] new Philosophy calls all in doubt,
The Element of fire is quite put out;
The Sun is lost, and th'earth, and no man's wit
Can well direct him where to look for it.[16]

Social roles that partly correspond with the modern scientist can be identified going back at least until 17th century natural philosophy, but the term"scientist"is much more recent. Until the late 19th or early 20th century, those who pursued science were called "natural philosophers" or "men of science".[3][4][5][6]

This is from Wikipedia, but it is false, and look how much citations it has, and it is false still yet. History is being WRITTEN OVER.

Socrates: Then I will tell you, said Socrates. When I was young, Cebes, I
had a prodigious desire to know that department of philosophy which is
called Natural Science; this appeared to me to have lofty aims, as
being the science which has to do with the causes of things.

Excerpt from the Phaedo (translation 1977) G.M.A

Socrates: Listen then, and I will Cebes, he said. When I was a young man I was wonderfully keen on that wisdom which they call natural science, for I thought it splendid to know the causes of everything.

The Fool: Note that in the latter translation the Term PHILOSOPHY has been rubbed out. There is a lot of "foul play" that goes on with history. In fact it's quite spooky. Ideologist rewrite for themselves, the past over itself, for themselves..

There is a natural bias, which occurs in interpretations by modern generations over past generations, which tends to consist of an exaggeration of their ancestors inferiority and their superiority. It starts as kids, when we think our parents to be uncool, or of a more boring generation, or less intelligent, when in fact, progress is quite continuous and incremental, and is always dependent upon the latter.. Ideas are hardly really ever revolutionary as many create for themselves to be. We try and create for ourselves some kind gap, to distinguish ourselves. As separate or better when in fact, advancements, are usually, continuous and contingent.

An example would be how Newton and Leibniz wrote the calculus at around the same time, Leibniz's was better, a little prior, but hardly, and more advanced, and he applied it to nature better than Newton. But most English-speaking societies teach to themselves otherwise, for themselves.

My point is that it's not necessarily that individual but the fact that the information in society as a collective, to where somebody's bound to make that next discovery. Some more than others"

Empiricism[The Aristotelian scientific tradition's primary mode of interacting with the world was through observation and searching for "natural" circumstances through reasoning.

"Aristotle"(4th Century BCE) wrote about the scientific method even if he and his followers did not actually follow what he said.

Newton attests, the"Principia's"first law of motion was known in antiquity, even by"Aristotle, although its significance, as such, went unappreciated.

E.g
Christianity: dark ages ,suffering and ignorance, medieval, crusades, death and suffering. And more suffering.

The sort of scientific revolution:
The Italian Catholic"Galileo Galilei"(1564"1642), one of the foremost promoters of the "new philosophy", insisted that nature "never violates the terms of the laws imposed upon her."[7]

" Many the important figures of the scientific revolution, however, shared in the"Renaissance Respects for ancient learning and cited ancient pedigrees for their innovations."Nicolaus Copernicus"(1473"1543),[26]"Kepler"(1571"1630),[27]"Newton"(1642"1727)[

" Sir Francis Bacon"(1561"1626) published"Novum Organum"in 1620, which outlined a new system of"logic"based on the process of"reduction, which he offered as an improvement over"Aristotle's"philosophical"process of"syllogism.

" Ren" Descartes"(1596"1650) published his"Discourse on the Method"in 1637, which helped to establish the"scientific method.
" "
"
Other significant scientific advances were made during this time by"Edmond Halley,"Robert Hooke,"Christiaan Huygens,"Tycho Brahe,Johannes Kepler, and"Blaise Pascal. "Sir"Thomas Browne," and"Thomas Hobbes."

Blaise Pascal"(1623"1662) invented the"mechanical calculator"in 1642.[36]

Gottfried Leibniz"(1646"1716) refined the"binary system, foundation of virtually all modern computer architectures.
""
""
""
""
""
the concept of"falsification"(first proposed in 1934) By Karl Popper
reduces"confirmation bias"by formalizing the attempt to"disprove"hypotheses rather than prove them.[15]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SOCRATES: Then I dare say you will be grateful to me if I help you to
discover the veiled truth in the thought of a great man"or perhaps I
should say, of great men?

THEAETETUS: Of course I shall be, Socrates, very grateful.

SOCRATES: Then you have a look round, and see that none of the uninitiated
are listening to us"I mean the people who think that nothing exists
but what they can grasp with both hands; people who refuse to admit
that actions and processes and the invisible world in general have any
place in reality.

THEAETETUS: They must be tough, hard fellows, Socrates.

SOCRATES: They are, my son"very crude people.

The Fool: I know..
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2013 10:05:16 PM
Eh, I can't say I didn't anticipate the above responses - and they're valid to an extent. But science in it's own distinction is what is producing actual results for humanity, whether or not it can be subsumed under philosophy in whole. As for the point about how philosophies morph governmental systems and cause paradigm shifts among cultures etc.... that's probably an over-extension of the definition of philosophy - so stretched in fact that it can be accurately defined as "idea-having". Philosophies don't change societies, people with ideas who have the means to enforce them, do.