Jump to topic:

Situation

Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2013 4:10:02 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
So, suppose you are working as a researcher for a libertarian think tank. You write a paper, and because you are a little rebel, you rant about the 'dirty capitalists' 'fvcking with the poor man'. And the likes.

The think tank refuses to publish your paper because it 'doesn't meet the standard'. Even though it is clear that the only reason they didn't publish it was because it went against its ideology.

Was it justified? Who do you think is in the wrong in this situation?
sdavio
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2013 4:35:29 AM
If they own the company/publication they should be able to publish or not publish anything they want.. if it's an independent group. And anyone else is free to start their own publication.
"Logic is the money of the mind." - Karl Marx
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2013 7:54:19 AM
At 9/7/2013 4:35:29 AM, sdavio wrote:
If they own the company/publication they should be able to publish or not publish anything they want.. if it's an independent group. And anyone else is free to start their own publication.

Yeah, it makes sense legally. But if a think tank is specifically asking you to research a certain issue, you don't know what you'll uncover- there is no guarantee that you'd come to the conclusion that the free market is the solution to the issue. Refusing to publish a paper just because you don't believe their philosophy would specifically address that specific problem is more like owning your souls. Why ask for research, then?

Perhaps legally yes, they are in their right- but considering it IS a think tank- and it did hire you to research a topic, do you really think it is fair for it disregard your paper just because your research didn't support their proposed solution.
sdavio
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2013 8:09:51 AM
At 9/7/2013 7:54:19 AM, Cermank wrote:

Yeah, it makes sense legally. But if a think tank is specifically asking you to research a certain issue, you don't know what you'll uncover- there is no guarantee that you'd come to the conclusion that the free market is the solution to the issue. Refusing to publish a paper just because you don't believe their philosophy would specifically address that specific problem is more like owning your souls. Why ask for research, then?

Perhaps legally yes, they are in their right- but considering it IS a think tank- and it did hire you to research a topic, do you really think it is fair for it disregard your paper just because your research didn't support their proposed solution.

Well I guess if you're not talking legally then I agree it's not fair; that the company should be more open / honest. I guess since that sort of story people usually use as a reason for legal action in combination with the example you used I assumed it was about political stuff. It's actually pretty common that people do stuff like that.. as well as how on the internet it's very easy to get immersed in communities of only your own opinion and think that it's the only one out there..
"Logic is the money of the mind." - Karl Marx
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2013 8:14:00 AM
At 9/7/2013 8:09:51 AM, sdavio wrote:
At 9/7/2013 7:54:19 AM, Cermank wrote:

Well I guess if you're not talking legally then I agree it's not fair; that the company should be more open / honest. I guess since that sort of story people usually use as a reason for legal action in combination with the example you used I assumed it was about political stuff. It's actually pretty common that people do stuff like that.. as well as how on the internet it's very easy to get immersed in communities of only your own opinion and think that it's the only one out there..

True. I have a friend who's facing a similar situation.

I feel its unfair, although the contract she signed pretty much negates any legal action.
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2013 9:26:13 AM
They probably also think your solution is wrong. Just putting it out there. The onus isn't on them to point out why, as they probably don't feel they need to waste their time unless you were a major researcher within that organization.
I can empathize with both sides.
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2013 11:48:21 AM
At 9/7/2013 9:26:13 AM, Thaddeus wrote:
They probably also think your solution is wrong. Just putting it out there. The onus isn't on them to point out why, as they probably don't feel they need to waste their time unless you were a major researcher within that organization.
I can empathize with both sides.

True. I guess I sympathize with her because I felt her solution wasn't bad. Also because she convinced all the other researchers (by specifically answering their questions), and she couldn't really convince the organizers because all they had was the paper. Perhaps they should have asked?

The organization is a think tank. It puts out research papers for the public. If they have hired a researcher to research a topic, and the researcher has put up months mulling over the issue, rejecting the paper because it didn't meet the standard seems rough.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2013 12:24:30 PM
How can one's research conclude that its 'dirty capitalists' and 'fvcking with the poor man'?

The obvious problems w/ think tanks is that their conclusions do have to lead to the answer they want. This is why think tanks do get a bad name, because they know the answer before they ask the question, while (in theory) for research you're supposed to ask the question and not know the answer to the actual question.

But no, I am not sympathetic to your friend at all that the article wasn't published due to ideological reasons. Anybody can publish an article or even book nowadays due to the internet, and low barriers it creates for publication. However, in order to get views, one would have to go to a more popular publication. In return for you using their publiciation for views, you have to give them an article they find satisfactory. Otherwise, the publication can get less views for "junk articles" and you'd be free-riding off of their efforts to create a popular publication.

There's also communist or leftist publication she could go to as well. I'm also not sure if there was any money involved in this.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2013 12:41:55 PM
If the group thinks that the paper comes to the wrong conclusions, why would they publish it? I mean, I doubt that any credible scientific organizations would publish a paper saying that the sun revolves around the earth.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2013 1:23:05 PM
You have the right to write as you please. But it's their publication, and they get to choose what goes in it. Nothing stopping you from taking your paper elsewhere.
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2013 8:25:31 AM
At 9/7/2013 12:24:30 PM, darkkermit wrote:
How can one's research conclude that its 'dirty capitalists' and 'fvcking with the poor man'?

It had to do with contractual labour. I think they assumed she'd do something along the lines of how important they were and how much productivity they increased at a lower cost, thus increasing the profitability. She was a little more sympathetic to their plight. The 'capitalist pig' was a quote she got off one of the worker, ( He even compared the organization to the second British colonization), and she didn't discredit his feelings in the paper. So, it seemed like she was endorsing his viewpoint ( which she was, except the British invasion one, which was just funny and paranoid.)

The obvious problems w/ think tanks is that their conclusions do have to lead to the answer they want. This is why think tanks do get a bad name, because they know the answer before they ask the question, while (in theory) for research you're supposed to ask the question and not know the answer to the actual question.
=|:-/

But no, I am not sympathetic to your friend at all that the article wasn't published due to ideological reasons. Anybody can publish an article or even book nowadays due to the internet, and low barriers it creates for publication. However, in order to get views, one would have to go to a more popular publication. In return for you using their publiciation for views, you have to give them an article they find satisfactory. Otherwise, the publication can get less views for "junk articles" and you'd be free-riding off of their efforts to create a popular publication.

There's also communist or leftist publication she could go to as well. I'm also not sure if there was any money involved in this.

She could, true. It just seems unfair to approach someone, ask them to research a topic, and refuse to publish the result just because you dont agree with it. Especially for a issue that has contradicting viewpoints, it isn't like a scientific paper. Plus, they didn't specify initially that they wanted a libertarian paper. Anyone can ramble on about liberty and sh!t, why put up a facade of being a research organization then :-/

Although yeah, it makes sense from their perspective. Life is unfair, life lesson 101, I guess.

Plus yeah, it was free. Just for the experience of hands on reearch, so that got fulfilled, true.