Jump to topic:

Ask Sargon things about Sargon

Sargon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2013 8:25:03 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I'll answer every single question asked with an honest answer, no exceptions. Here's a small introduction about myself to help you.

About me: I'm a 15 year old living in the West Coast of the USA.

I"m taking AP World History, Honors Biology, Geometry, Spanish II, and English 10 Honors. I have A"s in all of those classes. The intellectual topics I"m pursuing right now are physics and the philosophy of physics. I feel like I"m going from the top down when it comes to this subject. I learned about topics like the theory of relativity, quantum mechanics, and Big Bag cosmology, and now I"m going to one-dimensional motion with vectors and scalars (the difference between the two is shockingly easy).

Activities: Reading books, running, listening to music, debating, and going to school.
Magic8000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2013 8:43:15 PM
Why are you such a godless heathen?

Why do you support the Neo Lorenzian interpretation of relativity?

What theory of time do you accept?

What's your position on free will?

Objective or subjective morality?

What moral system do you accept?

You like stuff?

Why do you like the legion and not the NCR?
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

"So Magic8000 believes Einstein was a proctologist who was persuaded by the Government and Hitler to fabricate the Theory of Relativity"- GWL-CPA
Sargon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2013 8:52:02 PM
At 9/20/2013 8:43:15 PM, Magic8000 wrote:
Why are you such a godless heathen?

I blame Sarah Osborne.

Why do you support the Neo Lorenzian interpretation of relativity?

It is empirically equivalent to other interpretations, but it is more philosophically sound.

What theory of time do you accept?

A-theory.

What's your position on free will?

Soft determinism.

Objective or subjective morality?

Objective.

What moral system do you accept?

John Rawls' theory of justice.

You like stuff?

Yes. I like a lot of stuff.

Why do you like the legion and not the NCR?

Centurions.
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2013 9:34:14 PM
Why are your messages and profile comments not open?

How much do you know about basic physics (i.e. kinematics, dynamics, energy, fluids, gravitation, waves, thermodynamics, electricity, magnetism and light)?

What makes you interested in philosophy and science?

Why do your interests look so much like mine?

Do you subscribe to the many worlds interpretation of quantum physics?

Have you read Brian Greene's The Elegant Universe? If so, should you read it before or after The Fabric of the Cosmos?
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
Magic8000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2013 11:14:20 PM
If Nephilimfree and Shockofgod were drowning, which sandwich would you make?
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

"So Magic8000 believes Einstein was a proctologist who was persuaded by the Government and Hitler to fabricate the Theory of Relativity"- GWL-CPA
Sargon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2013 11:40:32 PM
At 9/20/2013 11:14:20 PM, Magic8000 wrote:
If Nephilimfree and Shockofgod were drowning, which sandwich would you make?

I'd walk to a sub restaurant and get an eight inch sandwich. I'll buy a coke and spend the next hour or so enjoying my sandwich and contemplating the beauty of the world. Then I'd go back to help the police ID the bodies.
Sargon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2013 11:57:21 PM
At 9/20/2013 9:34:14 PM, Subutai wrote:
Why are your messages and profile comments not open?

I'll fix that.

How much do you know about basic physics (i.e. kinematics, dynamics, energy, fluids, gravitation, waves, thermodynamics, electricity, magnetism and light)?

My interests in physics is the theory of general relativity and quantum mechanics, while using the philosophy of physics to formulate the correct interpretation and ontological status of each one. As I said in my introduction, I'm moving to the top to the bottom. I can imagine the topics you mentioned being part of my studies now that I'm going to learn basic physics. I'm taking physics in high school next year, as well as AP Physics the following year, so I will have a good understanding of these topics at that point. My knowledge physics deals more with the concepts than the actual physics, which is I would identify as knowing more about the philosophy of physics than physics itself.

What makes you interested in philosophy and science?

It started around the seventh grade. I think it's the same existential questions that many people try and begin answering. Why is there something rather than nothing? What is the meaning of life? Does god exist? In other words, the basic fundamental questions of life. My mind as a seventh grader had no philosophical expertise at all, and I had never read any of the literature, so I was very ignorant. Nonetheless, I navigated the world of philosophy as best as I could with my limited knowledge. The turning point for me came when I realized that there was actually an academic and serious case for theism. I had initially assumed that there were literally no arguments for the existence of god. I encountered the work of William Lane Craig on the internet and my entire world was turned upside down. From that point forward, the existence of god was the single most important issue to me. I respect William Lane Craig because he brought me out of my state of ignorance. My serious interest in philosophy was to read about the various arguments and try and establish which ones were good and which weren't. I've been doing this more or less for the past two years now, and it's brought to me have an interest in various subjects like the philosophy of mind (is materialism true?), the philosophy of language (are theistic assertion linguistically meaningful?), and my current interest being the philosophy of physics (Big Bang Cosmology: theism or atheism?). It also brought me to accept various scientific epistemologies like Karl Popper's falsificationism.

Science is the ultimate escapism for me--and the ultimate poetry as well. Perhaps this is teenage angst, but most people I encounter live a superficial life where they don't care about the answers to anything meaningful or important. Reading science, and physics in particular, brings me out of the world. It makes me wonder just how miraculous it is that I even exist at all. Science, to me, is simply inherently interesting. People wonder why I can enjoy reading physics, which seems so boring to them. The answer is that there's just something about it that gets me interested. There's a never a time when I'm not interesting in talking about science or some scientific topic.

Why do your interests look so much like mine?

We're long lost twins who were separated at birth.

Do you subscribe to the many worlds interpretation of quantum physics?

I'm fine with it. I lean towards Bohmian mechanics because it isn't as metaphysically fantastic as MWI. I like MW because it's deterministic, and there are some experiments which demonstrate sum over histories. It's also obvious that there numerous paths a particle could have taken and it went to the one that's the most probable.

If I had to choose MW and Copenhagen, I would go with the former.

Have you read Brian Greene's The Elegant Universe? If so, should you read it before or after The Fabric of the Cosmos?

Nope. I've read 'The Fabric of the Cosmos', however. Good book, though I disagree with his ideas on time.
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2013 2:35:28 PM
Why have you gone from the top down when studying physics?

Would it be true to say that you know the laws of thermodynamics, but you wouldn't know how to solve a problem involving an adiabatic process?
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2013 2:47:56 PM

I heard that fabric is just a simplification of elegant universe. Is that true?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Sargon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2013 2:50:56 PM
At 9/21/2013 2:35:28 PM, Subutai wrote:
Why have you gone from the top down when studying physics?

My interest in physics came because I wanted to know if Big Bang cosmology supports or refutes the existence of god. That's why I started with relativity and quantum mechanics rather than optics, waves, etc.

Would it be true to say that you know the laws of thermodynamics, but you wouldn't know how to solve a problem involving an adiabatic process?

I think that would be a good representation of my situation--knowledge of concepts.
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2013 2:52:53 PM
At 9/21/2013 2:47:56 PM, 000ike wrote:

I haven't read either. I do know that The Elegant Universe was written before The Fabric of the Cosmos. I was asking him because I have the former, and want to know when I should read the latter.

But, I don't think so. The former has to do with string theory, hidden dimensions, and the quest for a grand unified theory (a theory that would unite all four fundamental forces). The latter is about spacetime.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2013 3:15:13 PM
At 9/21/2013 2:52:53 PM, Subutai wrote:
At 9/21/2013 2:47:56 PM, 000ike wrote:

I haven't read either. I do know that The Elegant Universe was written before The Fabric of the Cosmos. I was asking him because I have the former, and want to know when I should read the latter.

But, I don't think so. The former has to do with string theory, hidden dimensions, and the quest for a grand unified theory (a theory that would unite all four fundamental forces). The latter is about spacetime.

Oh, I can't speak for fabric, but I think you would love elegant universe. Though half of it concerns spacetime (quantum foam, calabi-yau manifold, multiple sub-plank dimensions), so if fabric is about spacetime, it seems possible that it could be redundant.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Poetaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2013 1:55:31 PM
At what age did you reputedly utter your first word?
"The book you are looking for hasn't been written yet. What you are looking for you are going to have to find yourself, it's not going to be in a book..." -Sidewalker
Sargon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2013 11:53:27 PM
At 9/30/2013 1:55:31 PM, Poetaster wrote:
At what age did you reputedly utter your first word?

I have absolutely no idea!