Jump to topic:

I composed a piece while dreaming.

Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2013 9:55:22 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
My subconscious, I've noticed over the years, can do some insanely skilled things that I could never begin to do by myself. I previously remember freestyling in a dream like a professional, and this time I invented a piece of music. It was a very short composition, like a song chorus, but if there were words, I don't remember them. It was based off the Israeli Mizrahi music that I listen to a lot, but it was the most unconventional piece I've ever heard. It seriously is one of those tunes that, if you were to hear it in a bazaar, you'd walk over and try to find out what it was.

It's jarring, because it was awesome, but also because it simply didn't sound close to anything else. There are ingrained patterns and rules to music- no matter how original or brilliant a composition is, it's always followed these rules. This one shattered all of them. Seriously, I'm no musician, and I previously didn't have a clue how formulaic it is, but just listening to this blew my previous conception of music out my head and reassembled it. I can't describe it or anything, and there's nothing to compare it to. And I'm absolutely sure that it was original.

Admittedly, that freestyle I dreamed up wasn't as good as what I thought while dreaming. I thus suspected that maybe the composition, in reality, really didn't sound that good, and that its beauty was artificially generated by my subconscious itself (surreal!), but I don't think so, because I tried to hum it a bit while waking up so that I wouldn't forget and it still sounded just as good.

Alas, my mind wandered for a bit upon waking, and when I remembered, it was gone from my head. Probably forever, unless I can recall it in another dream, or I live into a transhuman era and they can dig it out of my mind.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2013 10:48:53 AM
I've recently delved into lucid dreaming, too. I've went so far as to create for myself a trigger which will inform me that I'm in a dream, as I've read about, and having dream sex lol

Mostly I just sleep, though.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2013 11:43:49 AM
I've kept having odd deja vu in real life related to my dreams. In my dreams I've typed something or done something and 3 weeks later I do it in real life.
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2013 3:02:23 PM
At 9/22/2013 10:12:43 AM, CryptonZ wrote:
Epic. Take advantage of that and go write some music! Well, if you can remember it.

At 9/22/2013 10:29:21 AM, sdavio wrote:
Seems really good. Are you a musician? Can you lucid dream?

Neither of these people read the OP. And no, I cannot lucid dream. I wish I could.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
drl1212
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 1:13:04 AM
I love those dreams when something just amazing happens and it gives you something to day dream about for a week or two.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 10:20:08 AM
At 9/22/2013 9:55:22 AM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
My subconscious, I've noticed over the years, can do some insanely skilled things that I could never begin to do by myself. I previously remember freestyling in a dream like a professional, and this time I invented a piece of music. It was a very short composition, like a song chorus, but if there were words, I don't remember them. It was based off the Israeli Mizrahi music that I listen to a lot, but it was the most unconventional piece I've ever heard. It seriously is one of those tunes that, if you were to hear it in a bazaar, you'd walk over and try to find out what it was.

It's jarring, because it was awesome, but also because it simply didn't sound close to anything else. There are ingrained patterns and rules to music- no matter how original or brilliant a composition is, it's always followed these rules. This one shattered all of them. Seriously, I'm no musician, and I previously didn't have a clue how formulaic it is, but just listening to this blew my previous conception of music out my head and reassembled it. I can't describe it or anything, and there's nothing to compare it to. And I'm absolutely sure that it was original.

Admittedly, that freestyle I dreamed up wasn't as good as what I thought while dreaming. I thus suspected that maybe the composition, in reality, really didn't sound that good, and that its beauty was artificially generated by my subconscious itself (surreal!), but I don't think so, because I tried to hum it a bit while waking up so that I wouldn't forget and it still sounded just as good.

Alas, my mind wandered for a bit upon waking, and when I remembered, it was gone from my head. Probably forever, unless I can recall it in another dream, or I live into a transhuman era and they can dig it out of my mind.

This brings back a memory of something that happened to me a few months ago.

I was laying in my bed, trying to get to sleep. I was pretty high, smoked a fair bit of weed earlier. Now, weed can bring on auditory hallucinations. So, out of no where, I hear some violins playing. It took me a few minutes to realize that they were in my head. Then I realized I could control them to some extent. Then that I could add more instruments. Soon I had a full orchestra playing in my head. It was quite the amazing experience, and it's something that made me wish I could write music.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 11:00:32 AM
I've never had auditory really, at least I don't think. One time, though - now that you bring it up - I was lying in bed after smoking this stuff out of the hemp shops, and that sh*t was f*cking trippy lol. But I was lying there anyway, drifting in and out of sleep, and I dunno - you ever heard of a hypnagogic state? Yeah, well, that. Next thing I was flying around my old school with a jet pack and laser gun and I had control. Pretty awesome. No auditory, though. I've never had auditory. Or, at least, I never remember having auditory. Gotta try it out.
Magic8000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 11:07:30 AM
At 9/22/2013 10:48:53 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
I've recently delved into lucid dreaming, too. I've went so far as to create for myself a trigger which will inform me that I'm in a dream, as I've read about, and having dream sex lol

That's pretty much the only reason why people want to learn how to lucid dream.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

"So Magic8000 believes Einstein was a proctologist who was persuaded by the Government and Hitler to fabricate the Theory of Relativity"- GWL-CPA
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 11:09:41 AM
At 9/23/2013 11:07:30 AM, Magic8000 wrote:
At 9/22/2013 10:48:53 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:

That's pretty much the only reason why people want to learn how to lucid dream.

Yeah, that's my thinking, too, evidently.