Jump to topic:

i want to help a friend

cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2013 11:55:23 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
you see I have this friend at school and I really....care for her. ok I will say that I have a crush on her. I am worried about her because it seems that she doesn't even try. She even flat out said that she doesn't plan on going to college. I know she has the potential in her but I don't know how to convince her.

What should I do!?!?!?!?!
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2013 12:12:41 PM
The reason people don't care, in my opinion, is because they feel an inherent wrongness to the system; that we're bred for competition, where this is actually incorrect or, rather, against our nature. I mean why do you think people congregate to partake in self-destructive behaviour so much?

I would perhaps then suggest to this person that she should learn as much as she can so as to help people.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2013 1:44:39 PM
At 9/22/2013 11:55:23 AM, cybertron1998 wrote:
you see I have this friend at school and I really....care for her. ok I will say that I have a crush on her. I am worried about her because it seems that she doesn't even try. She even flat out said that she doesn't plan on going to college. I know she has the potential in her but I don't know how to convince her.

It depends entirely on how old she is / how far away applying for college is for her.

If shes in her Junior/Senior year then there aint sh*t you can do. If her parents couldnt convince her then shes not going to give two sh*ts about what you might come up with

If though she is a freshman or sophomore, theres nothing to worry about and she'll come around in time. Freshmen and Sophomore were in Middle School just a year or two ago, they havent thought about the long term much and will come around sooner or later
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2013 2:04:43 PM
At 9/22/2013 1:44:39 PM, imabench wrote:

It depends entirely on how old she is / how far away applying for college is for her.

If shes in her Junior/Senior year then there aint sh*t you can do. If her parents couldnt convince her then shes not going to give two sh*ts about what you might come up with

If though she is a freshman or sophomore, theres nothing to worry about and she'll come around in time. Freshmen and Sophomore were in Middle School just a year or two ago, they havent thought about the long term much and will come around sooner or later

we're both sophomores. and actually my mom is planning a meeting with the college counselor
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2013 2:05:55 PM
At 9/22/2013 12:12:41 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
The reason people don't care, in my opinion, is because they feel an inherent wrongness to the system; that we're bred for competition, where this is actually incorrect or, rather, against our nature. I mean why do you think people congregate to partake in self-destructive behaviour so much?

I would perhaps then suggest to this person that she should learn as much as she can so as to help people.

our friendship is kinda shaky so I don't know how to tell her that
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2013 2:06:53 PM
At 9/22/2013 1:44:39 PM, imabench wrote:

but also I want to see if I can try to push her even just a bit. but our friendship is kinda shaky so I don't know how to go about that
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2013 2:09:37 PM
At 9/22/2013 2:05:55 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:
At 9/22/2013 12:12:41 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:

our friendship is kinda shaky so I don't know how to tell her that

I know the feeling, man. I shall persist, though!