Jump to topic:

I'm a bear in a suit, AMA

Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2013 12:15:15 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I'm ambivalent about doing this, because, on the one hand, I feel like an egotist for making a thread the principal intention of which is to talk at length about myself; on the other hand, though, there are a lot of people on the site with whom I don't have a personal relationship in the way I used to with older members. Further, there are some I know presently, and with whom I have a friendly relationship, but with whom I haven't had the pleasure of sharing intimate or personal information. If you'd like to get to know me better (and vice versa), this is a well-defined space in which to do it.
Chrysippus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2013 12:44:42 AM
At 10/2/2013 12:15:15 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
If you'd like to get to know me better (and vice versa), this is a well-defined space in which to do it.

You facist.
Cavete mea inexorabilis legiones mimus!
Chrysippus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2013 12:51:28 AM
At 10/2/2013 12:46:41 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 10/2/2013 12:44:42 AM, Chrysippus wrote:
If you'd like to get to know me better (and vice versa), this is a well-defined space in which to do it.

You facist.

Some faces are just better than others.

You used to be branded as our local authoritarian, probably far out of proportion to your actual beliefs. I'm curious how those beliefs have developed. Where do you stand now, politically, and why?
Cavete mea inexorabilis legiones mimus!
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2013 1:19:13 AM
How are you, really?

How do you feel right now? What are you thinking about?

What"s your favorite color?

What"s your favorite food?

How did your friend like the San Pedro cactus?

What are the three most important things in Mr. Fancy Bear's life right now?

What would you do in the variations of the classic trolley problem?

What is your favorite non-academic activity?

Do you meditate?

Do you prognosticate that the world will be a better place or a worse place in 50 years?

What do you think you could do to improve your happiness, life, and charisma currently?

What is your opinion of me rated on a scale of 1 (horrible) to 52 (god-like)? A number and a word must be used.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2013 9:17:54 AM
I'm ambivalent about doing this, because, on the one hand, I feel like an egotist for making a thread the principal intention of which is to talk at length about myself;

Weren't you an Objectivist for a time?

on the other hand, though, there are a lot of people on the site with whom I don't have a personal relationship in the way I used to with older members. Further, there are some I know presently, and with whom I have a friendly relationship, but with whom I haven't had the pleasure of sharing intimate or personal information. If you'd like to get to know me better (and vice versa), this is a well-defined space in which to do it.

What are you doing now as far as yer studies are concerned?
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2013 9:35:38 AM
Where did you attend college?

Do you have a Facebook? If your intention is really to get to know more members on a personal level, I'd love to chat with you there! The pm system here is, unfortunately, horribly under featured for that purpose.

You have a very eloquent way of writing. Do you speak like that too, and have you always been like that?
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
TheAntidoter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2013 9:44:56 AM
Do you know what the fox says?
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2013 1:44:11 PM
At 10/2/2013 12:51:28 AM, Chrysippus wrote:
At 10/2/2013 12:46:41 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 10/2/2013 12:44:42 AM, Chrysippus wrote:

You facist.

Some faces are just better than others.

You used to be branded as our local authoritarian, probably far out of proportion to your actual beliefs. I'm curious how those beliefs have developed. Where do you stand now, politically, and why?

Honestly, I don't know. I only have some rough, schematic ideas--the nature of political community, a certain new dimension of life abandonment of political teleology--but it would be presumptuous on my part to call it anything more than a vortex of related thoughts. One might say my thoughts on political practice reference a community whose principal function is the pure enjoyment of life in the world, one constructed on a kind of fulfilled or consummated nihilism--so, there's no room here for anything like rights (including and in particular property), law, the state, borders, citizenship, normative ethics, political identification, etc. Once all of these things have been exhausted, emptied, neutralized, I think that coincides with the fulfillment of nihilism and the possibility of politics. As to the why--there's not any specific reason so much as my having thought and read a lot, and this being the result of those deliberations.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2013 2:00:49 PM
At 10/2/2013 1:19:13 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
How are you, really?

Decent.

How do you feel right now? What are you thinking about?

I feel level right now. Not ecstatic, not terrible. Thoughtful. I'm thinking of a lot of things--work, philosophy, friends, food--I think the continuity of peoples' thoughts is often interrupted by random images or digressions, and that people are either less willing or less attentive to make note of it.

What"s your favorite color?

Big fan of the neutral colors.

What's your favorite food?

Depends on my mood. I like steak and chicken sometimes, sometimes pasta, but I also really enjoy working with and cooking up fresh vegetables. Jasmine rice with diced cilantro, bell peppers, and jalapenos (and beef tips) is as delicious as it is aromatic.

How did your friend like the San Pedro cactus?

It was an experience which, so he says, cannot be described except to one who has undergone it.

What are the three most important things in Mr. Fancy Bear's life right now?

Getting my philosophical thought straight, reading, and finding the best ways to have a pleasant time.

What would you do in the variations of the classic trolley problem?

No idea. I don't think ethics can be meaningfully discussed that way, so I would probably just do whatever I preferred to do given the circumstances and details.

What is your favorite non-academic activity?

Do you meditate?

All day, every day. Monks had a practice, meditatio, the double function of which was the internal articulation of time according to recitation of Scripture, and, as a consequence, the constitution of life as an unceasing liturgy (insofar as every moment, including manual labor, was turned into a spiritual office). This isn't meditation as we normally think of it, but it's something I usually practice insofar as I spend much of my time thinking about how I live.

Do you prognosticate that the world will be a better place or a worse place in 50 years?

Couldn't tell you. It's our inescapable heritage that we can tip the scales either toward awful catastrophe or earthly paradise. If I had to guess, though, respective not of technological or medical or scientific developments, but only of cultural and way of life, I imagine worse.

What do you think you could do to improve your happiness, life, and charisma currently?

Learn to install solar panels.

What is your opinion of me rated on a scale of 1 (horrible) to 52 (god-like)? A number and a word must be used.

It varies from time to time. I like you, though.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2013 2:01:51 PM
At 10/2/2013 9:17:54 AM, Noumena wrote:
I'm ambivalent about doing this, because, on the one hand, I feel like an egotist for making a thread the principal intention of which is to talk at length about myself;

Weren't you an Objectivist for a time?

Yep. Ragnar beat the authoritarianism out of me.

on the other hand, though, there are a lot of people on the site with whom I don't have a personal relationship in the way I used to with older members. Further, there are some I know presently, and with whom I have a friendly relationship, but with whom I haven't had the pleasure of sharing intimate or personal information. If you'd like to get to know me better (and vice versa), this is a well-defined space in which to do it.

What are you doing now as far as yer studies are concerned?

Working full-time so I can afford to finish the last year of my bachelor's.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2013 2:10:33 PM
At 10/2/2013 9:35:38 AM, ClassicRobert wrote:
Where did you attend college?

University of Oklahoma. For grad school, I would like, ideally, to go to NYU or Rutgers (stateside) or EGS (Switzerland).

Do you have a Facebook? If your intention is really to get to know more members on a personal level, I'd love to chat with you there! The pm system here is, unfortunately, horribly under featured for that purpose.

I deleted my Facebook a long time ago. Haven't looked back since.

You have a very eloquent way of writing. Do you speak like that too, and have you always been like that?

I speak that way sometimes. The syntactical and terminological complexity of my speech corresponds vaguely to both the intelligence (a precise definition of which is impossible for me to articulate) and the appliedness/caringness of the friends I'm with. Some people get turned off because they think you're pretentious, others have no idea what you're saying. I usually like to get a feel for the way others speak, and speak in a compatible manner with which they're comfortable. Paradigmatic of this experience is a lot of the reading I do--when someone who isn't among the appropriate set of friends asks me what I'm reading (when it's nonfiction), I'll say something like "Oh, it's a book about the history of language" rather than "It's an archaeological investigation of the oath, particularly respecting its role and function in the law, politics, and religious traditions of the West, particular emphasis being given to its place as a response to a specific experience of the impotence of language". The idea is that there are some people with whom I will simply never connect intellectually, so it doesn't make much sense to speak that way just for the sake of being eloquent.
Mysterious_Stranger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2013 2:11:44 PM
At 10/2/2013 2:11:17 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 10/2/2013 2:05:11 PM, Mysterious_Stranger wrote:
Do you work for juggle, or a member of staff here?

Actually, I work in a kitchen.

lewl
Turn around, go back.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2013 2:16:18 PM
At 10/2/2013 2:11:44 PM, Mysterious_Stranger wrote:
At 10/2/2013 2:11:17 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 10/2/2013 2:05:11 PM, Mysterious_Stranger wrote:
Do you work for juggle, or a member of staff here?

Actually, I work in a kitchen.

lewl

It's really not bad work. We work hard, but everyone has it together, and I never have to deal with customers. It's also one of the few places in which I get to act publicly, unabashedly silly (indeed, the level of silliness I put into my work determines my enjoyment of it), so it's mildly cathartic.
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2013 2:22:37 PM
What are the odds that you'll kill yourself eventually (in your estimation)?
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2013 2:24:38 PM
And what does AMA mean, anyway? Wikipedia doesn't turn up anything that would seem relevant: http://en.wikipedia.org...
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2013 2:34:50 PM
At 10/2/2013 2:26:23 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 10/2/2013 2:22:37 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:

Not exceptionally likely. I think I'm more melancholic than outright depressed.

If you want my thoughts, this whole idea of you simply being "rational" about the world and therefore placing no value upon your life is psychologizing. It's like what Plato did- he claimed that no one who knew what justice was would ever do something bad (or something like that).

And it appears that there is a kind of depression that fits your description: http://www.healthline.com...
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2013 2:51:44 PM
At 10/2/2013 2:34:50 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:

If you want my thoughts, this whole idea of you simply being "rational" about the world and therefore placing no value upon your life is psychologizing. It's like what Plato did- he claimed that no one who knew what justice was would ever do something bad (or something like that).

That isn't really how the derivation goes. I don't think my life is sacred, or that it has a transcendent value. That doesn't mean happiness is impossible for me. I think the contrary--in which one only finds reason to live if one is validated by the idea of "value"--is actually worse. I think, in a loose sense, one condition of a life worth living is neutralizing the question of whether life is or isn't "valuable".

And it appears that there is a kind of depression that fits your description: http://www.healthline.com...

Oh? There's a passage in Wittgenstein in which he discusses what are called "constitutive norms"--these norms don't prescribe anything specific, but constitute instead their own object. He offers chess pieces as an example. The notion of a pawn doesn't refer to the physical piece, but rather, to a specific set of legal moves. Similarly, I really think something similar operating below the surface of clinical psychology--it's not so much, I don't think, that there is a depression that fits my description; rather, the idea of depression (the Platonic Form, if you like) is itself constituted and defined by those behaviors. It's only by gathering them together as "symptoms" of a "disorder" that one's personality can acquire the normative sense of a problem, of something that needs to be treated and fixed. So, I think I'm melancholic, yes, and that is statistically abnormal, but I'm not "depressed", nor do I think there's anything "wrong" with me.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2013 2:56:04 PM
What are your aspirations in life?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2013 2:58:49 PM
At 10/2/2013 2:51:44 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 10/2/2013 2:34:50 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:

That isn't really how the derivation goes. I don't think my life is sacred, or that it has a transcendent value. That doesn't mean happiness is impossible for me. I think the contrary--in which one only finds reason to live if one is validated by the idea of "value"--is actually worse. I think, in a loose sense, one condition of a life worth living is neutralizing the question of whether life is or isn't "valuable".

Well, that's the impression I got from your previous statements.

Oh? There's a passage in Wittgenstein in which he discusses what are called "constitutive norms"--these norms don't prescribe anything specific, but constitute instead their own object. He offers chess pieces as an example. The notion of a pawn doesn't refer to the physical piece, but rather, to a specific set of legal moves. Similarly, I really think something similar operating below the surface of clinical psychology--it's not so much, I don't think, that there is a depression that fits my description; rather, the idea of depression (the Platonic Form, if you like) is itself constituted and defined by those behaviors. It's only by gathering them together as "symptoms" of a "disorder" that one's personality can acquire the normative sense of a problem, of something that needs to be treated and fixed. So, I think I'm melancholic, yes, and that is statistically abnormal, but I'm not "depressed", nor do I think there's anything "wrong" with me.

Doesn't this... just confirm what I said? I don't understand.
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2013 2:59:38 PM
Btw, I'm not really talking about "happiness" so much as a (psychological) sense of meaning or fulfillment.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2013 3:00:52 PM
At 10/2/2013 2:56:04 PM, 000ike wrote:

I want to be maximally self-sufficient--shelter run mostly or solely on solar panels, minimal superfluous material comforts, good diet with a vegetable garden, lots of books and great people to commune with. Preferably, I would like to be poor in the sense of not owning anything. I want to be free from obligations like debt, a schedule, a job with a time clock, a craving to buy stuff I don't need. Shortly, I'd like to live a kind of permanent sabbatical.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2013 3:05:22 PM
At 10/2/2013 3:00:52 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

I want to be maximally self-sufficient--shelter run mostly or solely on solar panels, minimal superfluous material comforts, good diet with a vegetable garden, lots of books and great people to commune with. Preferably, I would like to be poor in the sense of not owning anything. I want to be free from obligations like debt, a schedule, a job with a time clock, a craving to buy stuff I don't need. Shortly, I'd like to live a kind of permanent sabbatical.

wow... I was expecting you to say you'll become a professor or something. Why all this?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2013 3:06:44 PM
At 10/2/2013 2:58:49 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
At 10/2/2013 2:51:44 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

Well, that's the impression I got from your previous statements.

Which ones?

Doesn't this... just confirm what I said? I don't understand.

I don't think so. If the idea of depression is only a normatively-charged collection of attitudes or behaviors, I think it loses all its potency. It's efficacious in the sense that it permits doctors to prescribe medications and treat you as damaged, but depression, as a signifier, doesn't add anything essential. It only adds normativity, which is itself a big set of empty signs.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2013 3:09:40 PM
At 10/2/2013 3:05:22 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 10/2/2013 3:00:52 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

wow... I was expecting you to say you'll become a professor or something. Why all this?

That's just what I'd like. If I was a professor, I would be sitting in seminar rooms talking about doing this stuff. If I could actually make a life of it, though, I'd prefer that.