Jump to topic:

Confusion.

Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2013 5:26:35 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I have the odd feeling that I had a goal in life, but I've forgotten it lately. Does anyone know the feeling? I'm not talking in a metaphorical sense, but literally. I've genuinely forgotten what I'm aspiring towards.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2013 5:27:49 PM
At 10/2/2013 5:26:35 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
I have the odd feeling that I had a goal in life, but I've forgotten it lately. Does anyone know the feeling? I'm not talking in a metaphorical sense, but literally. I've genuinely forgotten what I'm aspiring towards.

I've had it happen before
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
Chrysippus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2013 6:31:11 PM

Learning to be content with failure has that effect. Try not to remember; that memory loss is your subconscious protecting your from the pain of regret.

At least, that's my excuse.
Cavete mea inexorabilis legiones mimus!
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2013 6:32:33 PM

Perhaps your goals are changing.
Tsar of DDO
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2013 7:56:32 PM
At 10/2/2013 6:32:33 PM, YYW wrote:

Perhaps your goals are changing.

No. I've been so engrossed with the trivial lately that, despite my subconscious feeling that it's just a respite from my macroscopic goals, I haven't actually thought about what they are. I do intend to educate myself in international relations, philosophy, economics, etc. But I simply can't remember what the hell I was going to do. I think that there was never any plan, and that I simply convinced myself that everything would fall into place if I was much more educated than everybody else. I just don't know.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."