ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2013 7:17:05 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/6/2013 7:10:59 AM, Cermank wrote:
I'm scourging for ideas.

Someone gave me bacon for a secret santa once, but it was turkey bacon.

Moral of the story, give someone the real goddamn bacon.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2013 7:25:19 AM
At 10/6/2013 7:17:05 AM, ClassicRobert wrote:
I'm scourging for ideas.

My vegetarian sister would appreciate that so much.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2013 7:26:59 AM
At 10/6/2013 7:25:19 AM, Cermank wrote:
I'm scourging for ideas.

My vegetarian sister would appreciate that so much.

I'm glad to have contributed in a positive and meaningful manner.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2013 7:30:19 AM
I am toying with the idea of a YouTube video, or a website, or a cup/ shirt but none of them are really novel. And I am not sure of my technical capabilities with the website.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2013 7:55:55 AM
Any gift I ever received was always practical and I was always happy with it, to be honest. You sound like a nice sister, though. My grandfather used always be on about the time when I was four and so celebrated one of his birthdays, singing and stuff - I guess just anything at all to leave the person feeling valued. Those sound like nice ideas you have there really.
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2013 8:12:05 AM
At 10/6/2013 7:55:55 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Any gift I ever received was always practical and I was always happy with it, to be honest. You sound like a nice sister, though. My grandfather used always be on about the time when I was four and so celebrated one of his birthdays, singing and stuff - I guess just anything at all to leave the person feeling valued. Those sound like nice ideas you have there really.

Lol I'm not really. I messed up last time with the video, so I need to make up big time. Practical gifts make sense, but I don't know, I forget about them after using them for a while. Thoughtful things remain with you for a while- like, I can get a t shirt myself, but to get a card with a personalized wish is something I'll relish.

I'm really looking for some more ideas though.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2013 8:28:23 AM
Oh... girls, haha. I generally get bought shoes and wear them until I get bought another pair of shoes. Umm, I dunno? How about............a dog? No wait, one of those charm bracelet thingies where they're in two halves, one for you and her?? Or................uh, a sonic screwdriver? Nope. Um......wow I'm almost dreading having a girlfriend now. What about........a nice mirror, because they'll never go out of fashion, and you can have engraved on it like "If you're ever feeling down, just have a look into this, and have your day brightened up the same way I have mine" haha
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2013 8:34:37 AM
C4 explosives irrevocably strapped to your testicles and give your girlfriend the detonator.
Sitara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2013 9:14:12 AM
I'm scourging for ideas.

I have never received a thoughtful gift from someone I loved that meant anything.
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2013 10:12:40 AM
I'm scourging for ideas.

sig'd
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2013 10:15:59 AM
Write something to the person you are trying to give a thoughtful gift to. Express how you feel about them, the impact they have on your life. Or give them something that holds signifigance between the two of you. Like if you both like X thing, and spend time together doing X thing, get them that. It not only is something they will appreciate, but it also sends the message that you want to spend more time with that person, else why get that gift in the first place?

That is really the best advice i can give on a thoughtful gift.
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2013 10:51:02 AM
At 10/6/2013 10:36:00 AM, drafterman wrote:
Thoughtful gifts are most likely personal and specific. Not likely to generate good ideas for people generally.

I am really looking to have an interesting medium of expression. I know what Id like to express, the things to write. I can write them out on a card if nothing comes to mind and it would be good enough, but I'm hoping to find a better medium.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2013 12:11:08 PM
At 10/6/2013 10:12:40 AM, Buddamoose wrote:
I'm scourging for ideas.

sig'd

My ego is so big right now.

Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2013 1:07:21 PM
Friends season 3 on VHS-- brought a tear to my eye
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2013 3:56:36 PM
Thoughtful gifts are those that show personalised intent and thought on the gift giver's behalf, so physical gifts - unless somebody has specifically said "it would be nice to have..." - tend to indicate a relative lack of thought.

Put your energy into a sonnet, poem or beautiful letter. Find some picture off the internet that matches with the message you wish to write, and what your friend would enjoy. I rolled up a message with ribbon last year as an extra touch. Then, cap it off with some nice, appreciated gift idea.

I know that my friends would do better do indulge certain sensibilities of mine than buy mere physical gifts on my birthday. Think of that idea as you go forward.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2013 1:17:09 AM
Maybe it is just because I am weird, but I had always valued practicality over sentimentality.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2013 1:18:18 AM
At 10/6/2013 8:34:37 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
C4 explosives irrevocably strapped to your testicles and give your girlfriend the detonator.

That may be the most romantic thing I had ever heard.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
ylayali
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2013 4:42:47 AM
The most thoughtful gift I ever received was a cartoon portrait from my girlfriend.
She bought it from www.CartoonPortraits.co.uk and they'd included references to all sorts of things about my life :-)
Highly recommend if you're struggling for a present
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2013 10:02:10 AM
At 10/7/2013 4:42:47 AM, ylayali wrote:
The most thoughtful gift I ever received was a cartoon portrait from my girlfriend.
She bought it from www.CartoonPortraits.co.uk and they'd included references to all sorts of things about my life :-)
Highly recommend if you're struggling for a present

Ohmygod that's pretty great. Thanks!

UK has suck amazing ideas, there was one where I could gift her personalized classics. So I'll gift her Pride and Prejudice, but instead of Jane, it'd be her name everywhere, and I could replace every character with a name of my choice. Damn exchange rate.