Don't remember the nuances of social interactions
Makes your game worse, less calibrated
Waking up next to ugly girls
Can't drive or ride my bike
Impaired judgment
Expensive habit
Can become addictive
This [http://media.economist.com...].

I've made the choice to not drink, since september. Instead deciding to infrequently do mind-expanding psychedelics. What about yourself?
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2013 6:55:36 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/14/2013 6:53:55 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Just a list I made for myself

Pros:
The camaraderie that comes with drinking
Drinking can be fun
(Opposite for me) It's a way to get loose socially and vaginally
Increases your courage
Girls become hotter the more drinks you have

^ added one

Cons:
Can't get an erection
Chance of arrest increase
Chance of death increase
Chance of losing/breaking phone increase
Chance of losing wallet/money increase
Increased risk of many diseases, cancers, health problems
Age faster
Skin looks shittier
Empty calories
Bad for athletics
Hangovers suck
Impaired judgment
Expensive habit
Can become addictive

I've made the choice to not drink, since september. Instead deciding to infrequently do mind-expanding psychedelics. What about yourself?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2013 7:36:43 PM

Let's just be sure and define what constitutes "excess," and make a note of the fact that what is "excessive" varies for different people. I know, WSA, you know this. Others, however, may not.

Pros:

Oh, very important.

Drinking can be fun

Correction. Drinking IS fun.

That's questionable.

Increases your courage

May or may not be a good thing.

Cons:
Can't get an erection

lol... so I guess excess must mean inebriation.

Especially if you're underage in this great country of ours where schitzoid policies are imposed arbitrarily regulating substance ingestion.

Chance of death increase

Depends on how much you drink and what you do when you're drinking. Most people will pass out before they can drink too much to be fatally poisoned.

It is always good to have a well made protective case, a good warranty, or deep pockets.

I have lost my credit/debit cards more times than I'd care to admit, so this, for me, is also a poignant concern.

Especially STD's... not from the alcohol, but from the people you might have sex with while consuming great volumes of booze.

Age faster

Ehh.

Skin looks shittier

Very true. Especially when hung over.

Empty calories

Alcohol doesn't really make you fat so much as the food you eat while you drink alcohol.

Bad for athletics

Truth.

Hangovers suck

Truth.

lol... people say I'm nicer when I'm drunk, because I'm less intense and less calculating.

But who cares if both of you are drunk... right?

Why would that be a bad thing?

But would you want to when drunk?

Impaired judgment

Also not necessarily a bad thing depending on your environment.

Expensive habit

It can be, if you buy booze worth drinking.

Can become addictive

Indeed.

As I've said before, WSA, I think your pious side is adorable... although I would suggest that you avoid the psychedelics.

I love drinking, but I don't drink as much as I used to. A few glasses of wine or a few beers or a few mixed drinks on one sitting is enough. Although I much prefer wine these days... and I regret to say that I'm a bit of a snob about it. Same with whiskeys.... and beers. lol
Tsar of DDO
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2013 7:46:58 PM
I would add to Pros two things: first, the possibility of participating in a craft. I enjoy mixing drinks, tasting new flavors, and spending time tweaking and playing with different drink elements. There is something immanently enjoyable and satisfying about slowly cultivating and developing this faculty (and always having something left to take up and develop), honing an artisan's careful intuition. For me, it isn't just that being intoxicated is fun, but that it's something like the reward of a well-performed craft.

Second, I think it's also useful as a way of resting. My brain becomes burnt and weary after being intensely applied for too long, and a certain "temperate indulgence" is often warranted. There is something pleasing about alcohol's power as a sabbatical instrument, its capacity to suspend, if only temporarily, the worries of work, economy, productivity.

The mind must be given relaxation; it will arise better and keener after resting. As rich fields must not be forced " for their productiveness, if they have no rest, will quickly exhaust them " so constant labor will break the vigor of the mind, but if it is released and relaxed a little while, it will recover its powers; continuous mental toil breeds in the mind a certain dullness and languor.
We must be indulgent to the mind, and from time to time must grant it the leisure that serves as its food and strength. And, too, we ought to take walks out-of-doors in order that the mind may be strengthened and refreshed by the open air and much breathing; sometimes it will get new vigor from a journey by carriage and a change of place and festive company and generous drinking. At times we ought to reach the point even of intoxication, not drowning ourselves in drink, yet succumbing to it; for it washes away troubles, and stirs the mind from its very depths and heals its sorrow just as it does certain ills of the body; and the inventor of wine is not called the Releaser on account of the license it gives to the tongue, but because it frees the mind from bondage to cares and emancipates it and gives it new life, and makes it bolder in all that it attempts. But, as in freedom, so in wine there is a wholesome moderation.

It is believed that Solon and Arcesilaus were fond of wine, and Cato has been reproached for drunkenness; but whoever reproaches that man will more easily make reproach honorable than Cato base. Yet we ought not to do this often, for fear that the mind may contract an evil habit, nevertheless there are times when it must be drawn into rejoicing and freedom, and gloomy sobriety must be banished for a while.
(Seneca, "On Tranquility of Mind")
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2013 10:01:38 PM
At 10/14/2013 7:46:58 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
I would add to Pros two things: first, the possibility of participating in a craft. I enjoy mixing drinks, tasting new flavors, and spending time tweaking and playing with different drink elements. There is something immanently enjoyable and satisfying about slowly cultivating and developing this faculty (and always having something left to take up and develop), honing an artisan's careful intuition. For me, it isn't just that being intoxicated is fun, but that it's something like the reward of a well-performed craft.

Forgot this one for sure. There's also people who are beer connoisseurs and brewers who love beer for the taste, process, and sheer variety. I respect that, don't know if they get tanked on Friday nights and wake up with d!cks drawn on them though.

Second, I think it's also useful as a way of resting. My brain becomes burnt and weary after being intensely applied for too long, and a certain "temperate indulgence" is often warranted. There is something pleasing about alcohol's power as a sabbatical instrument, its capacity to suspend, if only temporarily, the worries of work, economy, productivity.

I'll give you this one, but I'll assert that there are better alternatives for relaxation such as beverages that contain valerian root, theanine, GABA, 5-HTP, melatonin.

I apologize if this sounds pious, but what you describe in the last sentence is a lower-consciousness way of becoming present, and I challenge you to try to cultivate this presence through kale smoothies, good diet, good sleep, and ample meditation. *anticipates awesome response*.

This is a difficult standard to attain, but as Kundera explains, the title, The Unbearable Lightness of Being, comes from a meditation on the philosophy of Nietzsche, who said that we should live every moment of our lives as though we were sentenced to repeat it over and over, forever and ever, for all eternity. We should live each moment as though we were creating an eternal, unchangeable work of art.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2013 10:05:25 PM
WSA, have you ever watched the Eric Andre show?
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2013 3:00:55 PM
At 10/14/2013 10:01:38 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 10/14/2013 7:46:58 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

Forgot this one for sure. There's also people who are beer connoisseurs and brewers who love beer for the taste, process, and sheer variety. I respect that, don't know if they get tanked on Friday nights and wake up with d!cks drawn on them though.

I'll give you this one, but I'll assert that there are better alternatives for relaxation such as beverages that contain valerian root, theanine, GABA, 5-HTP, melatonin.

Piracetam-acetylcholine-theanine are my Trinity. But that's neither here nor there--it's not just a matter of relaxation, or of taking a break, but of a checking-out and a temporary withdrawal from the instrumental mind. Alcohol effects a peculiar sensation which it is difficult in any other way to replicate.

I apologize if this sounds pious, but what you describe in the last sentence is a lower-consciousness way of becoming present, and I challenge you to try to cultivate this presence through kale smoothies, good diet, good sleep, and ample meditation. *anticipates awesome response*.

I'm not sure what you mean by "becoming present", nor why you charge different states of consciousness with empty signifiers like "higher" or "lower". It establishes, as far as I am concerned, a needless hierarchy between them which adds nothing to these different states except an implicit condemnation (which is the sole efficacy of calling something "lower").

This is a difficult standard to attain, but as Kundera explains, the title, The Unbearable Lightness of Being, comes from a meditation on the philosophy of Nietzsche, who said that we should live every moment of our lives as though we were sentenced to repeat it over and over, forever and ever, for all eternity. We should live each moment as though we were creating an eternal, unchangeable work of art.

I'm not especially convinced of that. I am suspicious, in the first case, of living a work of art. Contemporarily, the artist holds no place among his culture, no real sense of efficacy on the world he inhabits, and is articulated in an exclusive relation which isolates and juxtaposes him against an audience of consumers and spectators who, while perhaps enjoying it contentedly, do not have an interest or a stake in it. This is the basis of "Art for Art's Sake", which finds a salient point of origin in Kant's elaboration of a science of aesthetic judgment, according to which the taking-in of art, as in the performance of duty, was characterized by a profound and impersonal disinterestedness (and produced the possibility of something like "good taste"). In this sense, I would not want to live an artwork, principally because it seems to displace ethics strictly to the realm of "beauty", and, what's more, each lived moment seems not to have its own sense, but to require the conferral of meaning on them in a long-swinging dialectical movement (in which each moment is promptly negated) only at the end of which (an end which never arrives) does the possibility of life's having been beautifully-lived return to redeem each constitutive moment.

On another note, to the Nietzschean eternal return I would oppose my own frequent recourse to Feuerbach's Entwicklungsf"higkeit--the capacity to be developed, which I think is not only inexhaustible in everything, but which inheres in each moment, not as something to be constituted as a monolithic, lifetime artwork, but as something which entails every instant of every day being an opportune moment to be seized.

More to the point, though, I would just prefer to continue drinking alcohol.
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2013 4:17:25 PM

Your vag gets tight and you get socially withdrawn when you drink? You never fail to surprise me, WSA. :)
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2013 4:27:43 AM
At 10/15/2013 4:17:25 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:

Your vag gets tight and you get socially withdrawn when you drink? You never fail to surprise me, WSA. :)

Thread should've honestly ended with this comedic brilliance
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2013 7:33:22 AM
Reason why I never get drunk when I have company, the thought of not being in control of my senses and someone judging honestly scares me.

The only Con for me is drunk dialling, but apparently I just go super corny and tell people I love them, so not exactly a Con.
Jack212
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2013 5:43:35 PM

Pros:

I prefer to drink alone.

Drinking can be fun

It just makes me feel normal.

For me, alcohol is a mandatory part of sex.

Increases your courage

It stops me from giving a shiit.

Cons:
Can't get an erection

I struggle to anyway.

Haven't tested this, but I doubt my chances can get much greater.

Chance of death increase

Haven't tested this one either.

Or just my drinking glass.

Yeah, being drunk interferes with my paranoia.

Damn.

Age faster

Oh shiit.

Skin looks shittier

Actually, excessive drinking stops my skin from drying out as much.

Empty calories

I have a fast metabolism.

Bad for athletics

Or good, as being drunk makes exercise less painful.

Hangovers suck

I can't get them.

I don't anyway.

Game?

I'm more likely to do this when I'm sober.

True.

Impaired judgment

Statistically, the opposite is true for me. I make better decisions when I have a clear head, and alcohol clears my head.

Expensive habit

Yeah.

Can become addictive

I don't suffer from addiction, though I do tend to associate alcohol with happiness. It's too expensive to be happy every day though.

I'll pass on the psychedelics. It is a slippery slope.