Jump to topic:

G-G-G-G-G-Ghosts!!!!!!

xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2013 1:40:16 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Alright guys! In the spirit of Halloween it's time to talk about ghooooosts!

So what do you guys think about them? Do they exist, are they fake? Share some of your favorite "encounters" with ghosts!

Question: What is the atheistic position on ghosts? If atheists do do not deny that ghosts could exist, would that mean atheists don't deny a metaphsyical world of other beings? If they don't deny the possibility of metaphysical beings or a metaphysical plane, what about the possibility of a maximally great metaphysical being i.e God?

Question: What is the Christian position on spirits that roam the Earth?

GHOOOOOOST STORY!

Here's my story of the time I "saw" a ghost.
Back when I was a lot younger (maybe 3rd grade), my parents were having their room downstairs re-done (I had a room upstairs). They had to clear everything out so the room was empty, and my parents slept in the guest room upstairs.

On night, I couldn't fall asleep. It was about 5:00 A.M and I was waiting for my mother to get up and get ready for work. My plan was to just go talk to her. What I had forgotten was that my mom was sleeping in the upstairs guest room. I thought she had been sleeping downstairs in the room that was being re-done because I had completely forgot the room was being re-done.

I heard footsteps down stairs. I got excited that I could finally get moving so I got to the tip of the stirs and looked over the stair railing and saw that the door to my parent's room was still closed, so I thought my mom was asleep still. (Remember no one was in my parent's room because it was being re-done. Also note that my parent's room was the only room for my family downstairs, so no one was down there at all at that time) I shrugged it off and went back to my bed. A little later I heard footsteps again down stairs. One again I got excited because I thought it was my mom and I went to look and nothing was there. I shrugged it off and went back to bed. I read a bit with my lamp on and my door open so I could see down the hallway. Once again I heard footsteps. I went downstairs and still nothing. At this point I got scared. I went back to bed. Instead of reading I just lied down on my bed and looked down the hallway. I had my lamp turned off but the nightlight in the hallway was on so I could faintly see down the hall. All the sudden I see a boy come into view. He was almost see-through but not quite. Like he had no color to him, but I could definitely see if was a boy and that he was human. We literally stared at each other for about 10 seconds. At that point I was in such a state of shock I couldn't move, I just stared. Eventually I turned around in bed and stated at the wall with my back to the hallway. I remember feeling my heart and it was pounding harder than it had ever pounded before. Eventually after working up the guts I turned around back to the hallway and nothing was there. After a while I was able to go to sleep and only after I had woken up the next morning had I realized that no one was downstairs the entire time.

Spooky raght guyz.
Nolite Timere
Mysterious_Stranger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2013 2:43:15 PM
Why do people assume that atheists believe in UFO's and ghosts, neither are real and an experience with one of the above would change my stance on that. The same applies for God.
Turn around, go back.
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2013 3:38:45 PM
At 10/19/2013 2:43:15 PM, Mysterious_Stranger wrote:
Why do people assume that atheists believe in UFO's and ghosts, neither are real and an experience with one of the above would change my stance on that. The same applies for God.

It's pretty intelligent saying something flat out doesn't exist without any proof whatsoever.

Anywho, my questions pertained to an atheist that does believe in ghosts.
Nolite Timere
NorthDebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2013 5:34:46 PM
Ive seen many ghosts in my life time, theyre not really stories though. I Mean, split second sightings, out of the corner of my eye, or orbs of light by where my papa died ..
Live Laugh And Love . Don't Take Anything For Granted . Life Is Short, Live It While You Can . -Lovely-
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2013 7:58:57 PM
At 10/19/2013 1:40:16 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

Question: What is the atheistic position on ghosts?

There isn't one. Atheism is a position on a single topic. Beyond that can be as diverse as the want. Sort of like asking the "theist position" on djinn.

If atheists do do not deny that ghosts could exist, would that mean atheists don't deny a metaphsyical world of other beings? If they don't deny the possibility of metaphysical beings or a metaphysical plane, what about the possibility of a maximally great metaphysical being i.e God?

Well, you've got two things: the possibility of "metaphysical beings", which I don't think most atheists deny the possibility of, though they would "deny" it in terms of "not thinking it's real until given a reason to do so". The other thing is the "maximally great metaphysical being", which some atheists would consider to be, for several reasons (some of which based on the world we live in, rather than on philosophical necessity, some not), logically impossible. But again, there really wouldn't be a single answer to this--it would depend on the atheist, since there's only 1 thing that qualifies to make someone an atheist.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2013 10:57:43 PM
In theory, atheism doesn't have a stance on the supernatural because it is a religious viewpoint, not a supernatural viewpoint. That being said, most atheists do not believe in ghosts because ghosts are inevitably tied up with concepts such as heaven, hell, an afterlife, otherworldly natures, and psuedoscience, among other things.

In general, this is how most atheists view reality: "The basic things everything is made up of are fermions and bosons. That's it." ~ Alex Rosenberg
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2013 10:06:48 PM
At 10/19/2013 5:34:46 PM, NorthDebater wrote:
Ive seen many ghosts in my life time, theyre not really stories though. I Mean, split second sightings, out of the corner of my eye, or orbs of light by where my papa died ..

Orbs of light?
Nolite Timere
Magic8000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2013 10:50:13 PM
http://doubtingdave.com...

^ My thoughts on ghosts.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

"So Magic8000 believes Einstein was a proctologist who was persuaded by the Government and Hitler to fabricate the Theory of Relativity"- GWL-CPA
Magic8000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2013 11:25:55 PM
At 10/20/2013 11:21:40 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
At 10/20/2013 10:50:13 PM, Magic8000 wrote:
http://doubtingdave.com...

^ My thoughts on ghosts.

Very interesting and well written article.

Thanks.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

"So Magic8000 believes Einstein was a proctologist who was persuaded by the Government and Hitler to fabricate the Theory of Relativity"- GWL-CPA
2-D
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2013 12:15:59 AM

So what do you guys think about them? Do they exist, are they fake? Share some of your favorite "encounters" with ghosts!

Question: What is the atheistic position on ghosts? If atheists do do not deny that ghosts could exist, would that mean atheists don't deny a metaphsyical world of other beings? If they don't deny the possibility of metaphysical beings or a metaphysical plane, what about the possibility of a maximally great metaphysical being i.e God?

Hmm, an argument from ghosts? A maximally great being is possible but unlikely since William Craig is a douche. Ghosts are of course a possibility but discredited by the every paranormal activity other than the first which was decent.

Question: What is the Christian position on spirits that roam the Earth?

I'm glad you asked. I debated this topic and I think at least 3 people read my position. Jesus and the disciples confirm that Ghosts are real in Luke 24:37-39.

If want to be terrified then vote for me!: http://www.debate.org...
NorthDebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2013 6:08:28 PM
At 10/20/2013 10:06:48 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
At 10/19/2013 5:34:46 PM, NorthDebater wrote:

Orbs of light?

Yes, orbs of light, my bad for not clarifying, but in pictures. By his bed, there would be orbs of light in pictures, and i would always feel tingles up my spine when i would sleep there.
Live Laugh And Love . Don't Take Anything For Granted . Life Is Short, Live It While You Can . -Lovely-
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2013 2:13:49 PM

Ghosts don't exist.

Not sure that believing in the metaphysics necessarily leads to God. Regardless, there is nothing that says people's beliefs have to be rational. Even if it could be logically demonstrated that the existence of anything supernatural implies the existence of a god, that doesn't mean an atheist has to believe that argument, nor does it mean that they can't believe the former without disbelieving in the latter. After all, if we held people to purely rational views, we wouldn't have to contend with theists, would we?
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2013 2:15:52 PM
Ghost encounters fall into one of two categories:

1. Those with natural/mundane explanations.
2. Those with no immediate explanation.