Jump to topic:

I just told my dad

Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2013 11:57:19 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I didn't believe in his religion (and I didn't mean to, it just sort of slipped) and he was actually fine with it.

This is so bizarre, I seriously thought he was going to flip out, since he has very recently 'rediscovered' God. We were discussing this politician who has a reputation of being very pro-Hindu. My dad was fine with that, I was a little skeptical. Somewhere in the argument, he goes on to say something along the lines of "Well, you can't really criticize other religions, you only have that right over your own religion." We argue pretty fervently over the legitimacy of the stance, and I go, "Well, most of the young people, like me, are agnostic. So would that mean we don't have any right to discuss any religion?"

<Silence>

Mom: Well, He'll make you believe in him when he wants to. This is probably just a part of the bigger plan.

Me: Yeah, I guess.

Dad: No, it's actually perfectly fine. It's progressive. You need to question these things. I guess I'm a little proud you aren't brainwashed into believing something that makes little sense at your age.

Eek. Put down in a sense, but still.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2013 12:06:00 PM
My dad: I'm sick of giving you money. Son, one piece of advice for you now, get a girlfriend.

Me: I'm gonna be a politician, dad.

My dad: People are dumb, get a girlfriend.

Me: Dad, I have a date next week.

My dad: What's your bank account number in case you're ever stuck for money. Here, take my car too.

Jesus Christ in the background: F*ck bitches. Get money. Amen.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2013 12:16:15 PM
I asked him did he believe in God that night I took that crazy sparkly stuff and wrote that whole God thing and he said he did and we hugged. It was touching, I was rather demented though, so...

His morals seem pretty f*cked up and he seems a bit of a pervert but if he'll give me stuff just for having girlfriends then I guess I'm cool with that. I mean he doesn't seem bothered about me being preachy or giving up a whole load of money and sponging off him so long as I'm getting a girlfriend lol
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2013 12:35:15 PM
At 10/25/2013 12:27:56 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Sorry, got carried away. You don't wanna hear about my dad?

Not about him masturbating, sorry no.

You have a pretty effed up life though, Id go crazy.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2013 12:45:33 PM
Nah, it's pretty cool lol... and I know that sounds bad, me being who I am, but I do enjoy it. There are healthier, saner ways to enjoy life, though! I enjoy life in a very progressive, insane way, I think! I feel almost as if I was made to save the world lol
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2013 12:54:23 PM
At 10/25/2013 11:57:19 AM, Cermank wrote:
I didn't believe in his religion (and I didn't mean to, it just sort of slipped) and he was actually fine with it.

This is so bizarre, I seriously thought he was going to flip out, since he has very recently 'rediscovered' God. We were discussing this politician who has a reputation of being very pro-Hindu. My dad was fine with that, I was a little skeptical. Somewhere in the argument, he goes on to say something along the lines of "Well, you can't really criticize other religions, you only have that right over your own religion." We argue pretty fervently over the legitimacy of the stance, and I go, "Well, most of the young people, like me, are agnostic. So would that mean we don't have any right to discuss any religion?"

<Silence>

Mom: Well, He'll make you believe in him when he wants to. This is probably just a part of the bigger plan.

Dad: No, it's actually perfectly fine. It's progressive. You need to question these things. I guess I'm a little proud you aren't brainwashed into believing something that makes little sense at your age.

Excellent for you. It's not a subject I've really brought up with my family, though I'm pretty sure my parents are aware.
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2013 1:38:59 PM
At 10/25/2013 12:54:23 PM, drafterman wrote:

<Silence>

Excellent for you. It's not a subject I've really brought up with my family, though I'm pretty sure my parents are aware.

Truth to be told, I probably won't have either if I wasn't so into the argument. People have too personal a relationship with it to view it objectively, and it isn't worth the social cost. But dunno, it still feels nice.
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2013 5:01:42 PM
At 10/25/2013 12:26:17 PM, Cermank wrote:
Ohmygod STAHP. I was just in a sharing mood. It's perfectly alright to not respond.

I have no idea why but this made me laugh really hard until I had to stop so i could breathe
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2013 5:17:47 PM
Ohmygod STAHP. I was just in a sharing mood. It's perfectly alright to not respond.

This is hilarious lol.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2013 5:21:14 PM
At 10/25/2013 5:17:47 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

This is hilarious lol.

You haven't the slightest idea what's going on here.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2013 5:29:37 PM
At 10/25/2013 5:21:14 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:

This is hilarious lol.

All that's "going on" is a hilariously frank response to your typical spam nonsense.
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2013 5:34:01 PM

<Silence>

Nice to hear your parents didn't flip out.

But what does it mean to say you don't believe in "God" in a Hindu context. Are you saying you don't believe in the pantheon, or are you saying that you don't believe in Brahma, or something else? The way you relate the story, it sounds like an agnostic telling her monotheist parents that she is an agnostic (with similar concerns about the consequences of doing so).

What does it even mean for you to be an agnostic in a Hindu setting? Isn't the important thing to build up karma? If that is the case then why is god-belief important anyway.

Sorry to barrage you with so many questions but I've been wondering about this for a while.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2013 5:36:47 PM
At 10/25/2013 5:29:37 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

This is hilarious lol.

All that's "going on" is a hilariously frank response to your typical spam nonsense.

Incorrect you absolute retard. I trolled Cermank and she responded very negatively, her being very perturbed about what I was saying. Andromeda, too, then responded to that, but in her manner, to laugh it off and almost to the point of not being able to breathe. This was profound, and f*cked up, but you, of course, are too retarded to see it.

To Cermank and Andromeda, I'm a nice guy, don't worry about it. It's not all just about sex, but sex plays big into man's feeling secure what with that whole god-complex and everything. I'd say not to be too worried about it, there are nice dudes out there and most people are just terribly afraid. Just take it easy.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2013 5:43:22 PM
At 10/25/2013 5:36:47 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:

This is hilarious lol.

Incorrect you absolute retard. I trolled Cermank and she responded very negatively, her being very perturbed about what I was saying. Andromeda, too, then responded to that, but in her manner, to laugh it off and almost to the point of not being able to breathe. This was profound, and f*cked up, but you, of course, are too retarded to see it.

To Cermank and Andromeda, I'm a nice guy, don't worry about it. It's not all just about sex, but sex plays big into man's feeling secure what with that whole god-complex and everything. I'd say not to be too worried about it, there are nice dudes out there and most people are just terribly afraid. Just take it easy.

Okay, crazy.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2013 5:45:58 PM
At 10/25/2013 5:43:22 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 10/25/2013 5:36:47 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:

This is hilarious lol.

Okay, crazy.

No, that's you. I knew you'd show your face by the way, more hiding behind other people.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2013 5:48:14 PM
You listened there for a while; why is it so frightening to actually go through with what I'm saying instead of hiding behind the disturbed now?
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2013 5:54:14 PM
At 10/25/2013 5:48:14 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
You listened there for a while; why is it so frightening to actually go through with what I'm saying instead of hiding behind the disturbed now?

When did I ever listen to you lol? You are the internet equivalent of a homeless street-philosopher.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2013 6:10:12 PM

You remind me of this guy I encountered today. My friend mentioned Spirited Away like once, and this random guy comes out of no where and screams "PEOPLE TALKING ABOUT THE SPIRIT WORLD?! GOD I LOVE OREGON. THE CHRISTIANS WOULD BE SO MAD. AND IM OFF TO SAVE THE WORLD" And runs off. I mean literally ran away.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2013 6:17:06 PM
At 10/25/2013 5:54:14 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

When did I ever listen to you lol? You are the internet equivalent of a homeless street-philosopher.

After I had explained your idol to you, you spent some time wondering on why you were objectivist in the first place. You changed your avi, sat back and were just this pathetic quiet dude for a time, making the odd comment about how maybe he/she just didn't remember why they are what they are politically. You then took new life again once I started broadening my horizons, coming straight back with your bullsh*t, but oh, your summaries are outdated, and here you are emulating me with your lol'ing, hiding behind others as I've already said you were. Emulation screams to control, it's kid's stuff, really really childish stuff.

Oh, and I'm a highly intelligent dude with huge knowledge when it comes to psychology. Remember how you used giggle like a little twit when my focus wasn't on you? But yeah actually, you're right. People just laugh for no reason, just because things are funny. Humour is just this thing, that's all, there's nothing going on here but funny, you f*cking idiot.

How about going back to reading for a while and leaving opinions to people who aren't f*cked up in the head? For humanity's sake just. Or you could hide behind bossy-I-have-an-antisocial-personality-disorder and two other disturbed girls, sure.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2013 6:17:56 PM
At 10/25/2013 6:10:12 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

You remind me of this guy I encountered today. My friend mentioned Spirited Away like once, and this random guy comes out of no where and screams "PEOPLE TALKING ABOUT THE SPIRIT WORLD?! GOD I LOVE OREGON. THE CHRISTIANS WOULD BE SO MAD. AND IM OFF TO SAVE THE WORLD" And runs off. I mean literally ran away.

And another pathetic attempt to control.
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2013 7:38:16 PM
At 10/25/2013 5:34:01 PM, vbaculum wrote:

<Silence>

Nice to hear your parents didn't flip out.

But what does it mean to say you don't believe in "God" in a Hindu context. Are you saying you don't believe in the pantheon, or are you saying that you don't believe in Brahma, or something else? The way you relate the story, it sounds like an agnostic telling her monotheist parents that she is an agnostic (with similar concerns about the consequences of doing so).

What does it even mean for you to be an agnostic in a Hindu setting? Isn't the important thing to build up karma? If that is the case then why is god-belief important anyway.

Sorry to barrage you with so many questions but I've been wondering about this for a while.

Good questions. Hinduism is a pretty diverse religion. So although you have a lot of Gods, you can't really give justice to *all* of them. The general practice is for you to basically *chose* your God when you're young, based on your philosophy/ based on their appeal. The popular sentiment goes that it isn't you chosing them, it's basically choosing a philosophy. However, each God comes with its specific celebratory festivals, and most of the Hindus just celebrate all the festivals because its fun. [I'm not sure if that's cultural or religious tbh, the perils of having a religion mostly concentrated to a specific country, but most of the Hindus celebrate Christmas too, just because its fun. Celebrating a festival of a particular God doesn't imply they believe in its existence, just that they respect the people who do.]

To give an example on the philosophy-chosing, you have Krishna (whose philosophy I personally found attractive as a child), who basically believes in having fun as long as you do the work you have been assigned to do by the Gods. And you have Kaali ma, who is something along the lines of -" Don't stand injustice". And you have Lord Rama, with his set of beliefs, and Hanuman with his. The difference being, Rama is/ was a human interacting with Gods, while all the others have godly origins. Rama became a God only because of his karmas . Because of the amalgamation of human-God stories with actual-God stories, there isn't a strictly 'moral' framework you have with any God. Krishna, for example, tricked this other naive human into believing his father died so that he'd lose focus in a war and be killed.

As long as you believe in this framework, it isn't that different from being a logical athiest, since its basically scourging through philosophies told through flashy stories. But then, when you are a Hindu, you do believe in the legitimacy of these stories. And its pretty clear the stories, from a realistic perspective, are not true/ possible. So even though I believe that the philosophies they propound are interesting (and they are pretty interesting), I don't believe in the fact that the actual Gods lived. I can celebrate the teachings, but trying to justify the actions of other characters in the stories in order to justifiably belief in their righteousness is too much of a stretch for me.

tl;dr It is a make believe world, I play my part in it- but I can't fool myself into justifying that.

Feel free to ask anything that isn't clear.