Jump to topic:

What do I do?

Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2013 11:38:01 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I've been stuck in a cycle of staying up all night. I can't keep myself awake the next day and I sleep through it, then wake up at like 9 or 10 PM, refreshed and ready to spend all night in my room. WHAT DO AH DO.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
Sitara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2013 1:02:16 AM
Talk to a doctor about it. Do you use caffeine or large amounts of refined sugar, street drugs, are you prone to depression, are you having any physical symptoms, do you have thyroid problems, are you diabetic, have you gone through a major life change, could this be a side effect of a medication you are taking, and so on.
1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2013 1:39:38 AM
At 10/30/2013 11:38:01 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
I've been stuck in a cycle of staying up all night. I can't keep myself awake the next day and I sleep through it, then wake up at like 9 or 10 PM, refreshed and ready to spend all night in my room. WHAT DO AH DO.

Been there done that, starting college helped a little, but I'm still struggling with it.

If you don't already have one, get a good shrink that can relate to you.

It's very likely that part of the reason you're doing this is simply "why not?".
Do you have any reason/motivation to get into a normal schedule? Do you have a Raison de'tre altogether? Do you know what you're living for? etc. Most people don't, but it doesn't bother them because they don't think about it, ignore it, repress it, etc. The "problem" with people like me (& perhaps you as well) is that we actually think and care about it. It's not good enough for us to just go with the flow & be like everyone else just for the sake of it. We are nonconformist/rebellious, we need purpose & meaning, we ask ourselves, "why should I do x, the fact that everyone else is doing it isn't a good enough reason/motivation. It's simply not worth it to get up and do anything, what for?"

I think the key is to find that Raison de'tre, find something that you're passionate about, find a cause/meaning, something that's worth getting up out of bed for,until you have that, why should you get out of bed if you don't need to? The only reason that I can think of, is to find that special something that is worth living for.
Good luck!
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2013 1:41:32 AM
At 10/31/2013 1:08:14 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Force yourself to stay up all day once, then crash, and reset your sleep schedule.

I second this advice!
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2013 3:57:22 AM
Force yourself to stay up all day once, then crash, and reset your sleep schedule.

I try every day, dude.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2013 9:06:46 AM
The result of free time and nothing to catch-up. You can reset the pattern by staying awake all day, then falling asleep around 6-7 pm. Setting an alarm to early hours would help develop a habit of waking up early.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2013 12:16:36 PM
At 10/31/2013 3:57:22 AM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:

I try every day, dude.

It takes time, like weeks.
My work here is, finally, done.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2013 1:36:46 PM

Gain the self discipline to regulate your sleep schedule.
Tsar of DDO
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2013 1:43:58 PM
At 10/31/2013 1:36:46 PM, YYW wrote:

It's not always that simple...

Eitan, I certainly could never tell by your posts, but is there any chance of depression? One of the other posters recommended possibly seeing a shrink and, if you've already tried the "normal" solutions, I'd second that.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2013 2:04:51 PM
At 10/31/2013 1:43:58 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

He's young. For him, it could be.

Eitan, I certainly could never tell by your posts, but is there any chance of depression?

Even if that was the case, it is very likely that antidepressants would only further his sleep trouble and could cause a host of other problems. Even still, before the question of depression can be asked, physiological causes would need to be ruled out.

One of the other posters recommended possibly seeing a shrink and, if you've already tried the "normal" solutions, I'd second that.

He should try to solve the problem himself, first. My guess is that because of the fact that he's been sleeping abnormally (and presumably not spending enough time in the sun) he probably has, among other things, a vitamin D deficiency which does manifest with depression-like symptoms.

Eating right, regular exercise and proper nutrition will most likely solve whatever problem he has. If it doesn't, then he should first seek the care of a GP and only if the GP cannot solve the problem should he then go to a psychologist.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2013 2:16:40 PM
At 10/31/2013 2:07:55 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Also, tell bladerunner to go f*ck himself because he hasn't a clue.

You should really be more civil. Think about that, while you're wondering what kind of underwear I'm wearing.
Tsar of DDO
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2013 2:17:46 PM
At 10/31/2013 2:16:40 PM, YYW wrote:

You should really be more civil. Think about that, while you're wondering what kind of underwear I'm wearing.

You lost me at underwear.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2013 2:18:14 PM
At 10/31/2013 2:17:46 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
At 10/31/2013 2:16:40 PM, YYW wrote:

You lost me at underwear.

Bullsh!t. I know your attention span is greater than that.
Tsar of DDO
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2013 2:24:00 PM
At 10/31/2013 2:04:51 PM, YYW wrote:

Eitan, I certainly could never tell by your posts, but is there any chance of depression?

Even if that was the case, it is very likely that antidepressants would only further his sleep trouble and could cause a host of other problems. Even still, before the question of depression can be asked, physiological causes would need to be ruled out.

One of the other posters recommended possibly seeing a shrink and, if you've already tried the "normal" solutions, I'd second that.

He should try to solve the problem himself, first. My guess is that because of the fact that he's been sleeping abnormally (and presumably not spending enough time in the sun) he probably has, among other things, a vitamin D deficiency which does manifest with depression-like symptoms.

Eating right, regular exercise and proper nutrition will most likely solve whatever problem he has. If it doesn't, then he should first seek the care of a GP and only if the GP cannot solve the problem should he then go to a psychologist.

I'm sorry for a lack of clarity: Yes, all the "normal" solutions should be tried first, from vitamin deficiency to caffeine use to even OTC meds if he wants to try to knock himself out and reboot (though frankly most OTC sleep aids are crap or homeopathic crap). But if he's run through the gamut, it's time to see a doc (though not necessarily a shrink, I admit, and cheerfully correct). I was just trying to say that this might not be something he can fix on his own, if he's already tried all the standard things...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2013 2:26:01 PM
At 10/31/2013 2:24:00 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

I'm sorry for a lack of clarity: Yes, all the "normal" solutions should be tried first, from vitamin deficiency to caffeine use to even OTC meds if he wants to try to knock himself out and reboot (though frankly most OTC sleep aids are crap or homeopathic crap). But if he's run through the gamut, it's time to see a doc (though not necessarily a shrink, I admit, and cheerfully correct). I was just trying to say that this might not be something he can fix on his own, if he's already tried all the standard things...

No worries. My only point is that when you hear hooves, look for horses before you go on a safari hunting for zebras.
Tsar of DDO
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2013 2:39:27 PM
At 10/31/2013 2:26:01 PM, YYW wrote:
At 10/31/2013 2:24:00 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

No worries. My only point is that when you hear hooves, look for horses before you go on a safari hunting for zebras.

I agree (that's actually a standard EMS proverb, too)--to be defensive a moment, that's why I said all the "normal" solutions should be tried first. That I didn't really explain that fully enough is, granted, my failing, but I did try at least.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2013 2:41:46 PM
I've messed up my sleep cycle before, but just simply stayed up for a day and restored it to normal. I'm not sure why you're having so much difficulty... if you must, get someone in your family to make sure you're awake until at least 6 -7 pm. At or beyond those hours, it would probably be fine to sleep again.

Do you go to school, or do anything requiring a good amount of motion outside for the majority of the day? If not, then you should probably at least exercise outside for 1-2 hours.

And lastly, this is one of those questions that are easily solved by a quick google search. I'm really not sure what you hoped to accomplish asking strangers on DDO for suggestions...especially on an issue related to your health.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2013 2:43:00 PM
At 10/31/2013 2:41:46 PM, 000ike wrote:
I've messed up my sleep cycle before, but just simply stayed up for a day and restored it to normal. I'm not sure why you're having so much difficulty... if you must, get someone in your family to make sure you're awake until at least 6 -7 pm. At or beyond those hours, it would probably be fine to sleep again.

Do you go to school, or do anything requiring a good amount of motion outside for the majority of the day? If not, then you should probably at least exercise outside for 1-2 hours.

That is exceptionally good advice.

And lastly, this is one of those questions that are easily solved by a quick google search. I'm really not sure what you hoped to accomplish asking strangers on DDO for suggestions...especially on an issue related to your health.
Tsar of DDO