Jump to topic:

Ideal Job

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 3:45:15 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Owning a multi-million dollar company that is so well structured and staffed that it is self-sustaining and requires no input from me to generate money and jobs.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 3:46:49 PM
Okay, being realistic now, custom knife making is what I'm going towards. This includes doing collaborations with big name companies.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 3:55:31 PM
At 11/6/2013 3:10:57 PM, Cermank wrote:
What would be your ideal job and why? What are strict no-nos in your prospective job?

Just curious.

International coffee buyer/trader for a global corporation would be cool.

I wouldn't mind hosting a travel show.

Consulting detective would be interesting, also.
Tsar of DDO
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 6:12:33 PM
Highly respected IR scholar and/or historian. Plus Krav Maga master, cognitive scientist, philosopher, cosmologist, hacker, chess master, Shaolin monk, mathematician, and sci-fi writer. I've got issues (the first part's true, though).
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 6:14:24 PM
No-nos? I would never tolerate children. So no babysitting or teaching for me (a teacher actually got fired from my preschool for hitting me- I don't remember it, but my mom insists it happened).
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 6:28:18 PM
Supreme Court Justice, Appellate Court Justice or U.S Senator

They're all ambitious enough to be good life goals, but out of the three Supreme Court justice is both the least likely (not that they aren't all pretty unlikely :P) and the most exciting. I love hearing about Supreme Court cases all the way since U.S history in 9th grade - if there's something disgusting happening in history or in Congress, the Court just swoops down and rectifies it - even though they have in many cases caused more harm than good. The idea of such a freely operating, deliberative, and powerful body influencing history in such a striking manner is awe-inspiring to me.

I think I could get the same experience in Congress, but the thing is I'm not currently a fan of democracy, don't really believe in voting, I find ethics indefensible in debate even though I do adhere to ethics and judge others by it, I don't believe freewill is logically or physically possible, and lastly, I'm an atheist... so the odds are stacked against me. But we'll see what happens :)

"Career no-nos":
1. cubicle
2. manual labor
3. desk job
4. the arts - even though I love most art forms and am skilled in some of them, I refuse to use it to earn money
5. No opportunity for advancement
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 7:08:38 PM
At 11/6/2013 6:28:18 PM, 000ike wrote:

They're all ambitious enough to be good life goals, but out of the three Supreme Court justice is both the least likely (not that they aren't all pretty unlikely :P) and the most exciting. I love hearing about Supreme Court cases all the way since U.S history in 9th grade - if there's something disgusting happening in history or in Congress, the Court just swoops down and rectifies it - even though they have in many cases caused more harm than good. The idea of such a freely operating, deliberative, and powerful body influencing history in such a striking manner is awe-inspiring to me.

I think I could get the same experience in Congress, but the thing is I'm not currently a fan of democracy, don't really believe in voting, I find ethics indefensible in debate even though I do adhere to ethics and judge others by it, I don't believe freewill is logically or physically possible, and lastly, I'm an atheist... so the odds are stacked against me. But we'll see what happens :)

In 2050 the world may be a leetle different.

"Career no-nos":
1. cubicle
2. manual labor
3. desk job
4. the arts - even though I love most art forms and am skilled in some of them, I refuse to use it to earn money

You realize that this is basically presenting your @ss for darts, right?
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 7:12:42 PM
At 11/6/2013 7:08:38 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:

How different can the world be that one who questions ethics, freewill, and democracy is electable? I'll begrudgingly grant you an increased tolerance for atheism (albeit I doubt it would reach a level that makes irreligiosity acceptable on the national stage), but everything else is permanently unpopular.

So what exactly is your point?

"Career no-nos":
1. cubicle
2. manual labor
3. desk job

I don't understand what you're saying.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 7:22:57 PM
What would be your ideal job and why? What are strict no-nos in your prospective job?

Just curious.

I plan to go into politics. The higher up the chain of command, the better. But first I want to be a professor.

A no-no for me would be a job that does not involve the creation of new knowledge, education, or being able to influence people to change.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 7:27:40 PM
At 11/6/2013 7:12:42 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 11/6/2013 7:08:38 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:

How different can the world be that one who questions ethics, freewill, and democracy is electable? I'll begrudgingly grant you an increased tolerance for atheism (albeit I doubt it would reach a level that makes irreligiosity acceptable on the national stage), but everything else is permanently unpopular.

So what exactly is your point?

Trollin'.

"Career no-nos":
1. cubicle
2. manual labor
3. desk job

I don't understand what you're saying.

I'm tired right now.
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 7:28:32 PM
At 11/6/2013 7:22:57 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:

Just curious.

I plan to go into politics. The higher up the chain of command, the better. But first I want to be a professor.

http://en.wikipedia.org...
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 8:14:35 PM
I'm going to work in a lab. I'm not sure what I'd do in said lab, but I'm going to work in one because I've had a few jobs so far ad that was the only one I was happy with.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2013 5:01:28 AM
Oh, I didn't post my career deal killers...

1. I can't work for someone less intelligent than I am. I know that sounds horrible, pretentious, etc. (and it is), but it's the truth. I can not be happy answering to someone who I know is stupider than I am... especially if the gap is quite profound.

2. No travel would keep me from taking a job.

3. I need something that's challenging. If it's not challenging, then I'll get bored and I'll either move on to something else or find a way to entertain myself. Boredom isn't something I can easily deal with...

4. I can't work in a job that I know is pointless. A job for me that is just a paycheck is the kind of job that will make me want to do something else. If I can't say why I'm doing what I'm doing, and the answer to that question isn't something more than "because I like to be able to afford nice things" then I've got no interest in the work.
Tsar of DDO
TheAntidoter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2013 10:35:59 AM
World Class Noodle Chef.

Also a hacker.
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????