Jump to topic:

To gays and transpeople.

Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2013 3:42:12 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Are you going to see Ender's Game? What are your perspectives on boycotting? I don't really see any point to it, so if you are, why?
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
Beverlee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2013 7:19:30 PM
At 11/7/2013 3:42:12 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
Are you going to see Ender's Game? What are your perspectives on boycotting? I don't really see any point to it, so if you are, why?

I'm not too excited about Ender's Game, but I will probably see it. I know about how the director (I think) is anti-LGBT. But Harrison Ford is not - he is an ally of the LGBT community, and he deserves to be supported for his work on behalf of LGBT people. (He was among the first big-name Hollywood stars who worked with lesbian actresses, boosting their careers and sparking valuable debate.)

Because Harrison Ford is awesome, I will probably see the movie.
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2013 7:21:34 PM
At 11/7/2013 7:19:30 PM, Beverlee wrote:

I'm not too excited about Ender's Game, but I will probably see it. I know about how the director (I think) is anti-LGBT. But Harrison Ford is not - he is an ally of the LGBT community, and he deserves to be supported for his work on behalf of LGBT people. (He was among the first big-name Hollywood stars who worked with lesbian actresses, boosting their careers and sparking valuable debate.)

Because Harrison Ford is awesome, I will probably see the movie.

*facepalm*
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2013 11:23:01 PM
I probably will see it. It's sci-fi, dammit! And good sci-fi, at that. It's unfortunate that the director has the opinions he does, but honestly, so what? Refusing to go see a movie that has no relations to someone's views on something is not going to change those views, and I want to see it. The only question here is, do I have the money to go?
Poetaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2013 11:26:32 PM
At 11/7/2013 7:21:34 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
*facepalm*

What, why was that deserving of a facepalm?
"The book you are looking for hasn't been written yet. What you are looking for you are going to have to find yourself, it's not going to be in a book..." -Sidewalker
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2013 11:27:47 PM

I don't know what Ender's Game is... so I'll google it.
Tsar of DDO
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2013 11:37:00 PM
NO ONE here has heard of Orson Scott Card?
Poetaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2013 11:50:30 PM
At 11/7/2013 11:37:00 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
NO ONE here has heard of Orson Scott Card?

I have heard of Orson Scott Card.
"The book you are looking for hasn't been written yet. What you are looking for you are going to have to find yourself, it's not going to be in a book..." -Sidewalker
Poetaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2013 11:52:34 PM
At 11/7/2013 11:26:32 PM, Poetaster wrote:
*facepalm*

Oh, my mistake; she was describing the director as bigoted, when really it is the author of the book series who has those sentiments.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2013 6:23:18 AM
The movie looks to generic compared to other scifi movies
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2013 8:39:21 AM

I plan to boycott. But not because of whatever background the author might have with homophobia. The movie just looks like crap- therefore I will not spend money to see it.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2013 9:24:27 AM
At 11/8/2013 8:39:21 AM, Noumena wrote:

I plan to boycott. But not because of whatever background the author might have with homophobia. The movie just looks like crap- therefore I will not spend money to see it.

This is as as good a reason as any. I looked over the movie, read the wikipedia page, etc. It looks pretty awful. I mean, I'm not a sci-fi fan to begin with, but even of sci-fi movies this one looks like sh!t.
Tsar of DDO
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2013 9:52:17 AM
The book is legendary, so yeah... people tend to react that way when seeing these movies because it's aimed at the readership.

That said, OSC is seriously one of the best writers alive today, even LGBT people admit it; and surprisingly intelligent. He's read history and philosophy and it shows in his books. Somewhat nuts, but still very much worth reading. There's no serious sci-fi fan anywhere that hasn't read Ender's game.
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2013 9:55:42 AM
The same criticisms were made of the book when it was published, "grade Z, made-for-television, science-fiction rip-off movie material," but it was an incredible book anyway. So that's why I'm holding out hope for the movie.
Beverlee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2013 3:16:42 PM
At 11/7/2013 11:52:34 PM, Poetaster wrote:
At 11/7/2013 11:26:32 PM, Poetaster wrote:
*facepalm*

Oh, my mistake; she was describing the director as bigoted, when really it is the author of the book series who has those sentiments.

Oh the author, my bad. But still. Harrison Ford keeps his compliment from me. I don't know if I'll see the movie, but I doubt I'll avoid it.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2013 3:21:05 PM
Some boycotts are stupid some aren't. To boycott this would be stupid. Its a movie, for heaven sakes, just get over the what the director thinks. Now if the movie blatantly shows the ideas of the director thats another story
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2013 3:23:18 PM
At 11/8/2013 3:21:05 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:
Some boycotts are stupid some aren't. To boycott this would be stupid. Its a movie, for heaven sakes, just get over the what the director thinks. Now if the movie blatantly shows the ideas of the director thats another story

*facepalm*
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2013 3:26:59 PM
At 11/8/2013 3:23:18 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:

*facepalm*

And why?
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2013 3:28:26 PM
At 11/8/2013 9:55:42 AM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
The same criticisms were made of the book when it was published, "grade Z, made-for-television, science-fiction rip-off movie material," but it was an incredible book anyway. So that's why I'm holding out hope for the movie.

It was an awesome book but Ender's older brother basically taking over Earth at, what, 14 was just stupid.

Haven't seen the movie yet, but the people who want to boycott it because the author has really, really stupid views ("Since then, he has been outspoken against same-sex marriage, which he has said "marks the end of democracy in America."" http://www.huffingtonpost.com...) are idiots. Not only will, according to this article, Card get no money for the sales of tickets, but even if he did his homophobia didn't seep into his work at all....if he made Enders Game some giant mantra about the homosexual menace, that's one thing. The author writing an amazing book and being a political moron at the same time is something different entirely.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2013 3:29:04 PM
At 11/8/2013 2:04:04 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Boycotts are stupid.

As an American Card has a right to his beliefs and opinions.

To say "[group X] will boycott [production y] because of [director z]'s [belief a]" is not to say "[director z] does not have the right to have [belief z]."

The dude can believe whateverthefuck he wants just as surely as anyone can notbuyhisshit because of it.
Tsar of DDO
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2013 3:31:53 PM
At 11/8/2013 3:29:04 PM, YYW wrote:
Boycotts are stupid.

To say "[group X] will boycott [production y] because of [director z]'s [belief a]" is not to say "[director z] does not have the right to have [belief z]."

Tell that to the boycotters of today because thats what a lot of them think.

The dude can believe whateverthefuck he wants just as surely as anyone can notbuyhisshit because of it.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2013 3:32:02 PM
At 11/8/2013 3:26:59 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:

*facepalm*

And why?

Because it isn't the director they take issue with, it's the author of the book
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2013 3:33:27 PM
At 11/8/2013 3:32:02 PM, thett3 wrote:

*facepalm*

And why?

I've had a long week
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2013 3:33:33 PM
At 11/8/2013 3:31:53 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:
Boycotts are stupid.

It is irrelevant whether one person think's that another person has a right to believe whatever. What matters is whether or not people have the right to freedom of thought, and they do, so that's the beginning and end of it.

Tsar of DDO
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2013 3:34:49 PM
I have patience for horrible views by dead authors. I don't support living authors with horrible views. The man advocated (albeit obliquely in the "who will rid me of this troublesome priest" sense) for the violent overthrow of the government in response to the legalization of gay marriage--I have no interest in furthering his career. I loved Enders game as a kid, but while OSC has the right to his views, I have no obligation to support him. (CP, I'm looking at you).

He's a huge supporter of NOM.

And, on a side note, what he did to Hamlet wasn't just awful, it was MASSIVELY hypocritical, considering his public disdain for fan fiction.

I won't march in the streets or anything, but just like I wasn't going to buy his run on superman, I won't give him money for this movie.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2013 3:35:19 PM
At 11/8/2013 3:33:33 PM, YYW wrote:
Boycotts are stupid.

It is irrelevant whether one person think's that another person has a right to believe whatever. What matters is whether or not people have the right to freedom of thought, and they do, so that's the beginning and end of it.

I wasn't going against you i was just saying that someone should tell them that they're doing it wrong

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2013 3:35:41 PM
At 11/8/2013 3:32:02 PM, thett3 wrote:

*facepalm*

And why?

I'm pretty sure the author is the same guy who wrote a book which causally suggested a link between homosexuality and pedophilia.

He sounds like a real fuckwit. But I'm not going to watch the movie because idontgiveafuck about science fiction... even though I probably wouldn't go watch the movie if I loved science fiction because the summary of the plot looks prettyfuckingshitty.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2013 3:36:40 PM
At 11/8/2013 3:35:19 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:
Boycotts are stupid.

I wasn't going against you i was just saying that someone should tell them that they're doing it wrong

I know. I'm telling you that people are stupid, so don't worry about it.

Tsar of DDO
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2013 3:37:54 PM
At 11/8/2013 3:36:40 PM, YYW wrote:
At 11/8/2013 3:35:19 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:
Boycotts are stupid.

I know. I'm telling you that people are stupid, so don't worry about it.

Amen to that second sentence