Jump to topic:

Persuasive Speech Suggestions

Disquisition
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2013 7:44:35 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
In a week or so I have to present a persuasive speech on why females shouldn't participate in traditionally male dominated sports.

I had no say in what the topic would be or my position. So does anyone have any idea how a can support this with reasonable evidence. Would greatly appreciate hard sources, not soft ones.

Ask questions for clarification
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2013 9:13:39 PM
At 11/14/2013 7:44:35 PM, Disquisition wrote:
In a week or so I have to present a persuasive speech on why females shouldn't participate in traditionally male dominated sports.

That should be amusing to watch.

I had no say in what the topic would be or my position. So does anyone have any idea how a can support this with reasonable evidence. Would greatly appreciate hard sources, not soft ones.

Talk about why women should be making men sandwiches.

Say that a woman's place is in the home, not the volleyball court -which, even if women's volleyball is more popular, means that women are not in the kitchen. So, they shouldn't be there.

Men's volleyball, on the other hand... now THAT is a sport worth watching.
Tsar of DDO
Disquisition
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2013 9:20:42 PM
At 11/14/2013 9:13:39 PM, YYW wrote:

Say that a woman's place is in the home, not the volleyball court -which, even if women's volleyball is more popular, means that women are not in the kitchen. So, they shouldn't be there.

Yea I'm pretty much fucked from every angle. I mean, I don't want to come off as sexist or anti-feminist but whatever. The only good thing about this is that I'm delivering my speech on the last day of class so hopefully the girls wont remember me lol.
Disquisition
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2013 9:24:03 PM
I'm probably gonna be like, would you but your daughter in such a dangerous situation, because I wouldn't let my girls play with nearly grown men.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2013 9:24:58 PM
At 11/14/2013 9:20:42 PM, Disquisition wrote:
At 11/14/2013 9:13:39 PM, YYW wrote:

Yea I'm pretty much fucked from every angle.

Well, at least you know where you sand.

I mean, I don't want to come off as sexist or anti-feminist but whatever. The only good thing about this is that I'm delivering my speech on the last day of class so hopefully the girls wont remember me lol.

If I were in your situation, I would make the speech so audacious that it came off like a Seth McFarline production (such that it is very compelling and well reasoned satire, meant to illustrate the absurdity of the argument). I think is befitting a topic as poorly selected as yours.
Tsar of DDO
Disquisition
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2013 9:33:36 PM
Yeah I already told my professor how effing ridiculous this, paring me with a GIRL who is going to argue why girls can play traditionally male sports. I mean flying fvck, randomly pulling speech topics out of a flucking hat.
Disquisition
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2013 11:37:36 AM
At 11/15/2013 7:36:20 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Strap a bomb to your chest.

No worries I've figured out how to reword the topic to say "Girls should play traditionally male sports with men" as opposed to arguing that they shouldn't play traditionally male sports at all.

Thanks for your concern.
Disquisition
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2013 11:38:22 AM
At 11/15/2013 11:37:36 AM, Disquisition wrote:
At 11/15/2013 7:36:20 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Strap a bomb to your chest.

No worries I've figured out how to reword the topic to say "Girls shouldn't play traditionally male sports with men" as opposed to arguing that they shouldn't play traditionally male sports at all.

Thanks for your concern.

* shouldn't
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2013 4:09:35 PM
Persuasion does rely on arguments, but a lot of the focus isn't on arguments. Schemes and tropes. Any good persuasive speaker is brilliant with these. I'd also strongly recommend connotative vs. denotative appeals as always. Double entendes if you have nothing better. Be polemical if you wish. Seriously, persuasive speeches are often like giving a talk to your friends or (imagine) a large crowd. That sort of flow is often best, backed up by ingenuity and powerful facts.

As a specific, I'd draw on the impacts of rugby players. Some of them can build up such a speed that when combined with their weight... the actual hard numbers in terms of momentum (give an appropriate comparison to frighten the students) is something that you should use.

Of course, when you have nothing to say, draw on ridiculous arguments. Like saying that a hospital with no patients is the most hygienic hospital in the area.

In your case I might give a dissertation about traditional honour systems. That's a fascinating area to research. There's certainly something to be said about both sexes not trying their absolute hardest in each other's presence at times...

You have the tougher side, but it's your job to come up with the arguments. The process is important as well, so no further advice.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2013 4:21:57 PM
Actually, this topic has a rather fun out. You as the affirmative go first, right? Your thesis is thus:

Both males and females should not be encouraged to participate in traditionally dominated male sports.

By doing this you greatly widen your argumentative scope, and don't have to worry about any sexist insinuations. You've changed the scope of the debate!
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2013 4:39:26 PM
At 11/15/2013 4:21:57 PM, Logic_on_rails wrote:
Actually, this topic has a rather fun out. You as the affirmative go first, right? Your thesis is thus:

Both males and females should not be encouraged to participate in traditionally dominated male sports.

By doing this you greatly widen your argumentative scope, and don't have to worry about any sexist insinuations. You've changed the scope of the debate!

I like the idea, but if I were his teacher/instructor I would mark him down for arguing for something beyond the scope of what I assigned him.

Granted, I would NEVER assign this... but the point remains.
Tsar of DDO
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2013 6:25:01 PM
At 11/15/2013 4:39:26 PM, YYW wrote:
At 11/15/2013 4:21:57 PM, Logic_on_rails wrote:

I like the idea, but if I were his teacher/instructor I would mark him down for arguing for something beyond the scope of what I assigned him.

Granted, I would NEVER assign this... but the point remains.

Of course, one must take account of the context and the expectations of the teacher. It's likely that he can form some arguments from his course readings for instance, but I don't have those course readings. I've prescribed something in response to what he asked for, not what would necessarily reflect a context I don't understand...

I'm actually quite interested in the exercise. Making arguments for unsound positions is always interesting. A case in point: "The Compassionate Society" episode of Yes Minister. Sir Humpfrey Appleby gives a truly, truly sterling defence of keeping a hospital with no patients open. Really, it is quite a masterpiece. Learning to see through such triviality is a worthwhile exercise, but not when it is agraded exercise.
Beverlee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2013 4:32:58 PM
Being honest is good, too tho. I liked it when you said that you were screwed from every angle - that told me that I wasn't supposed to get mad at you or think that you had turned to evil... Just that you have a very difficult assignment.

That re-casts you as the underdog.
Beverlee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2013 4:54:38 PM
You are supposed to debate a girl on the subject of whether or not women should participate in traditional male sports such as MMA and football right?

I am so feminist that I don't know if my brain can even try to form an argument like that. When I try, I end up with silly things that are pretty novel, tho:

-The natural superiority of women makes their inclusion unfair to men.

-women should avoid male dominated sports in order to build up and bring more attention to new sports that are female dominated (like volleyball and fencing).

-Deny the premise: argue that our concept of male-female dominance is malleable, and subject to change. A female cage-fighter (Ronda Rousey) is now the top earning champion in MMA. Women's soccer has nearly surpassed men's soccer in the US. This flips the board - these sports could quickly become female dominated.

-Deny the premise: many sports in the US are non- traditional, such as soccer, volleyball and MMA. Since these sports do not have a multi-generational history in the US, they cannot be called traditionally male dominated. This might limit the debate to only sports like football, which doesn't have many women players - unlike basketball, track swimming, and wrestling.