Jump to topic:

I just joined a debate team

ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2013 5:08:01 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Guys, I just joined my first actual debate team. I am doing PF, and I was wondering, does anybody have any suggestions for how to rock my first tournament?
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2013 9:12:20 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I've been doing PF for a couple of years, and also a bit of Policy experience too (officially varsity lol), and my basic advice would really just be judge adaptation. The tradeoff with PF is that you get to have more "user friendly" debates (although this is really changing to not be the case anymore) in exchange for more likely than not getting lay judges. As such, I'd just say feel out each judge and get a sense of what they like/don't like, and take it from there.

Of course, I also strongly recommend having actual, you know, legit cases with actual interesting links and outside-the-box impacts. But I think judge adaptation is probably the stronger advice.

I mean, at this point my partner and I have a pretty solid style that is pretty successful, so we don't often deviate radically from it (we're actually unusual in PF in that we tend to be more abrasive, and technical, than what many PF judges like). However, going in as a novice PFer, I would say that you want to be more flexible than rigid, in short.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus