Total Posts:50|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

For those who have taken psychedelics...

Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2013 9:26:42 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Noumena mentioned that it puts you in such a different mental state from your usual one that it can't even be expressed in normal language. But surely you can describe why that is? Is it just really weird or hard to explain, or is it fundamentally different (like some sort of qualia)?
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2013 11:27:51 PM
It's not *always* impossible to explain. I just have trouble doing so; it could just be me. It would also depend on exactly what yer taking of course.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2013 11:46:08 PM
Reminds me, I need to get my hands on some DMT
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2013 11:47:56 PM
At 11/24/2013 11:46:08 PM, lewis20 wrote:

Tell me how it goes.
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2013 12:29:56 AM
It's like a dream only you're awake. It's pretty much as simple as that. Psychedelic use is amazing for exploring your mind. On some occasions it will bring to fruition your greatest desires, it will let you feel them in the waking world....on others, it will project your greatest fears into the world around you, like how when you have a dream everything is so symbolic, but it's a pairing of the symbolic with the real, and often as if to add extra emphasis.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2013 12:38:03 AM
I've personally always used drugs as mood enhancers...and differently to other people. That should tell you a little bit about them. It's as though you program a mental state with which to receive whatever stimulant, psychedelic, etc. If you're happy going into a trip, you'll have a happy trip. Your brain will use whatever you're putting into as ingredients for something to make you feel good. It will help you build whatever delusion you'd like to feel. If you're bad going into a trip, your brain will use those ingredients to absolutely f*ck you.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2013 12:41:54 AM
It's as though you're inflicting trauma on yourself really, and your brain is just trying to fix you, bad or good trip, relaying information to you. I'd say that's where this whole "enlightenment" thing came from, only most people don't realise the true import of that, just keep "chasing the dragon" as they say.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2013 3:24:45 PM
At 11/24/2013 9:26:42 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
Noumena mentioned that it puts you in such a different mental state from your usual one that it can't even be expressed in normal language. But surely you can describe why that is? Is it just really weird or hard to explain, or is it fundamentally different (like some sort of qualia)?

I think what's novel about psychedelics is that there are really no experiences with which people can easily draw analogies--there are some for which this isn't entirely the case, and, as Noumena indicates, it depends on what you're dropping. MDMA, for example (not ecstasy, but pure MDMA), usually just puts all the pleasure-receptive parts of your body into overdrive, mostly because nearly all of your serotonin receptors are getting blitzed. One feels ceaseless joy, empathy, physical euphoria, etc., on an order of magnitude far past what one could ordinarily experience. In my mind, it's among the most "virtuous" drugs one could take if one intends to socialize.

There are others, however, to which language cannot even begin to do justice. Mescaline, LSD, psilocybin--one can gesture clumsily to one's experiences with these and others, perhaps write up some rudimentary report, but no level of detail would really be adequate to capture what, in a certain sense, must be given up to oblivion (this having and losing, experiencing and forgetting, is, I think, the inescapable rhythm of psychedelic experience).

I think, in a very generic sense, psychedelic practice is the practice of bringing the possible into view. To take one of these substances is to commit to the question of what one's mind can do, to take seriously the proposition that one has no reason to privilege the normal or the actual over the potential, the is over the can. Some are less prepared for this task than others, and even those with considerable experience know to take caution in their explorations. It is in this sense that one should be wary of the usual psychedelic business, where people claim to have "seen God" or "learned the meaning of life", or something to this effect. There is a considerable power contained in these substances, and one must take great care not to attempt to reduce it to what is familiar, or what makes for an easy interpretation. Among the greatest insights to be obtained from these substances concerns the problem of representation--to know, not just that any attempt to put into discourse the precise nature of what one has experienced is really doomed to be lost, that pure communication is sacrificed for the sake of being able to communicate, to speak, but that one can only ever hope to represent (and to know that one is representing).
Wren_cyborg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2013 4:14:45 PM
I would say in simplest terms that they just loosen your control over your mind. You don't know what I'm talking about because you take for granted the control you have right now. Drugs' main effect is to unbound the mind. As you can imagine, this can be either good or bad. And yes, some people indeed take drugs and are never able to regain control. These aren't myths, they are quite true. Of course, in every city in the U.S. there's that myth about the guy who took acid and now thinks he is a glass of orange juice that can't be spilled. You'll hear about it, and that one is not true, but it is true that any drug you take is russian roulette with your mind. Once you've taken them once you can be assured you'll be alright provided you don't over-indulge.

Coke is another one that showed me what "normal" is. Right now, you may think you're in a good mood, bad mood, or OK. But you are actually sustaining, at any given second in the day, a constant supply of endorphins to your brain (forgive me if this is clumsily explained) and without them, you will experience a dread like you have never felt before. It isn't pain, it isn't fear, it isn't discomfort, it isn't regret. It's just a lack of happiness. I suppose "depression" would be the closest thing to it... at any rate, coke sends an enormous amount of endorphins to your brain, making you feel like you just won the lottery, got married, and graduated college in the same day. But it temporarily raises your tolerance, and when the input of endorphins fades, you find out what life feels like without these endorphins. It is the deepest dreadful feeling imaginable.
Tiffany1billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2013 1:48:38 PM

I watched a documentary on DMT & it sounds like a once-in-a-lifetime type of experience. I've decided that I'd like to try it, but only in a controlled environment with people I can trust to watch over me...and when the time is ideal (I don't know when that will be).
Tiffany
Beverlee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2013 9:53:37 PM
At 11/26/2013 1:48:38 PM, Tiffany1billion wrote:

I watched a documentary on DMT & it sounds like a once-in-a-lifetime type of experience. I've decided that I'd like to try it, but only in a controlled environment with people I can trust to watch over me...and when the time is ideal (I don't know when that will be).

I think you should, and I think you are right to choose a good time and place to experience that. I did ... something, I don't know what it was, but it was on accident. Some jerk gave me a joint with something in it. So it scared the sht out of me.

As for what it was like - you know how things that you don't pay attention to seem to disappear? Your mind does this so that it doesn't have to try to keep track of every single thing that happens around you in order to prioritize and save neural "hard drive." Well, different parts of my body kept vanishing - I had to move them or touch myself in order to bring this or that part of me back... like I had to get up and walk or touch my foot so my feet and legs didn't erase. Eventually, I got so scared that I ran into the bathroom. A friend of mine came in and told me to stop fighting it, because she was watching me, and I wasn't disappearing. I couldn't quite do that, but I tried... and when my hands and arms went away, I couldn't do anything about just disappearing entirely, since feeling of myself was how I was staying real. I had stripped down so she could make sure that I wasn't invisible. When my head and face vanished, I felt like I had "expanded" and turned "inside out" as a person, so that what had been outside of me, was now INSIDE, just because I had reversed inside out. I felt like entire galaxies were inside of me, and kept saying that I was "full of stars." Some dum@ss guy was listening to us outside and he was saying that I had got that from some movie, and so I was lying, and after a while it just sort of wore off.

Everybody was staring at me, and laughing, but that sht wasnt funny. If I had done that on purpose, it would have been a HUGE spiritual experience for me, but they did it like a joke, and so it was just scary.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2013 11:44:25 PM

Exactly right, it's one of those 'you should at least try it once' things. If you've got a good friend who knows their sh't about drugs to walk you through it you're in good shape. I've heard way too many horror stories about people having bad trips taking shrooms in a small apartment with people they don't particularly like.

The only downside is that you have to smoke it in crack pipe or something and it's a pretty harsh substance to inhale.

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2013 12:04:47 AM
At 11/26/2013 9:53:37 PM, Beverlee wrote:

I think you should, and I think you are right to choose a good time and place to experience that. I did ... something, I don't know what it was, but it was on accident. Some jerk gave me a joint with something in it. So it scared the sht out of me.

As for what it was like - you know how things that you don't pay attention to seem to disappear? Your mind does this so that it doesn't have to try to keep track of every single thing that happens around you in order to prioritize and save neural "hard drive." Well, different parts of my body kept vanishing - I had to move them or touch myself in order to bring this or that part of me back... like I had to get up and walk or touch my foot so my feet and legs didn't erase. Eventually, I got so scared that I ran into the bathroom. A friend of mine came in and told me to stop fighting it, because she was watching me, and I wasn't disappearing. I couldn't quite do that, but I tried... and when my hands and arms went away, I couldn't do anything about just disappearing entirely, since feeling of myself was how I was staying real. I had stripped down so she could make sure that I wasn't invisible. When my head and face vanished, I felt like I had "expanded" and turned "inside out" as a person, so that what had been outside of me, was now INSIDE, just because I had reversed inside out. I felt like entire galaxies were inside of me, and kept saying that I was "full of stars." Some dum@ss guy was listening to us outside and he was saying that I had got that from some movie, and so I was lying, and after a while it just sort of wore off.

Everybody was staring at me, and laughing, but that sht wasnt funny. If I had done that on purpose, it would have been a HUGE spiritual experience for me, but they did it like a joke, and so it was just scary.

Laced with PCP maybe? I don't think you can really lace weed with psilocybin, lsd, dmt or psychedelics like that.

BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2013 12:19:26 AM
Like Tiffany, I've considered doing some kind of psychedelic as a one-time experience. What stops me is the concern that after trying it, it wouldn't just be a one-time thing. I'd want to do it again, then again, and then some after that. Its also possible that after experiencing an altered (or arguably, enhanced) awareness, that normal consciousness wouldn't be enough anymore. Both of these issues would make me tempted to use again, which just can't happen.

Unlike her though, I wouldn't want anybody around. Under drugs, who knows what kind of stuff I would say.

I'm actually kind of interested if any of you guys have stories where you said things while high that you later regret. Apparently ecstasy is really bad about this.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2013 12:26:12 AM
you don't want to do it alone precisely because you don't know what you're going to do. If you decide flying would be fun and try to jump off a cliff, you want someone there to remind you you're human.

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2013 12:30:25 AM
As for being worried about wanting to do it again or becoming addicted, it's really not an issue unless you're an addictive person.
Most drugs make you feel good but most people can take them or leave them.
I can enjoy being drunk but if for some reason I couldn't drink again for years or something I wouldn't be too worried about it.
Yet for alcoholics, something chemical in their brains which I can't personally cant quite comprehend clicks in their brains and they need alcohol.

Wren_cyborg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2013 12:36:55 AM
I don't think I am going to ever trip again. I feel like my mind is getting too old for it now. I'm now too old for acid and merrigorounds. Oh to be 25 again...
Beverlee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2013 11:08:16 AM
At 11/27/2013 12:04:47 AM, lewis20 wrote:

Laced with PCP maybe? I don't think you can really lace weed with psilocybin, lsd, dmt or psychedelics like that.

I guess it could have been PCP, but I really don't know. I didn't have anything but that one joint - I wasn't even drinking, so I think it had to have been in there. It seemed like it sparked or something just before that happened, but it wasn't much more than what you would expect from a seed. I didn't think PCP caused reactions like that, tho. Anyway, I have no idea what exactly it was, except uncool and a bad experience that should have been different.
Tiffany1billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2013 11:53:22 AM

Wow, what an a**hole! I see what you mean though, that would be a pretty interesting experience if you were expecting it. Your subconscious is so vast & knows all kinds of secrets we just can't handle in the 3D. Maybe you ARE full of stars and your body is just an illusion and the entire universe is inside of each one of us....that's deep.
Tiffany
Tiffany1billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2013 12:00:39 PM
At 11/27/2013 12:19:26 AM, BlackVoid wrote:
Like Tiffany, I've considered doing some kind of psychedelic as a one-time experience. What stops me is the concern that after trying it, it wouldn't just be a one-time thing. I'd want to do it again, then again, and then some after that. Its also possible that after experiencing an altered (or arguably, enhanced) awareness, that normal consciousness wouldn't be enough anymore. Both of these issues would make me tempted to use again, which just can't happen.

Unlike her though, I wouldn't want anybody around. Under drugs, who knows what kind of stuff I would say.

I'm actually kind of interested if any of you guys have stories where you said things while high that you later regret. Apparently ecstasy is really bad about this.

I don't think I could trust myself to be alone in that type of situation. What if I went outside in the middle of winter & got lost? Or just tripped (pun intended) & cracked my head open. Or passed out int he bathtub & drowned?....yeah, any of those things would be bad.
I'm pretty sure I would say something stupid or inappropriate, but that's why it would have to be someone I trusted to watch over me. Someone who wouldn't gossip about it later or take advantage of the situation. There's not many people like that for me, so it might be awhile!
Tiffany
Beverlee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2013 1:22:36 PM
Wow, what an a**hole! I see what you mean though, that would be a pretty interesting experience if you were expecting it. Your subconscious is so vast & knows all kinds of secrets we just can't handle in the 3D. Maybe you ARE full of stars and your body is just an illusion and the entire universe is inside of each one of us....that's deep.

That is EXACTLY how I saw it... I still feel cheated because of how it happened, but that was my takeaway. When I felt like I had turned inside out, I stopped seeing myself as "apart" from the universe, and saw what it might be like to feel like I was "a part" of all of this. I felt like stars because the membranes that seperated "me" from "them" were suddenly so flimsy and inconsequential that I lost the feeling of individuality and seperation. For a few minutes, I felt so diluted by the reality that was all around me that my "identity" was completely overwhelmed and unimportant.

I'm glad for that experience, I just wish it had been taken for what it was
WiseHagbard
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2013 11:30:11 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Hi, I'm new here. Just wanted to chime in because I'm fascinated by this topic and I wanted to try my hand at explaining why it's difficult to explain. I think someone made the dream analogy, and that's a good one.

The next time you're describing a dream you have a vivid memory of to someone, pay close attention to what you do. If you're like most of us, you'll say something like this: "I was in a weird restaurant that was huge and had domed ceilings and there was no one there and then I heard my friend's voice..." You'll kind of sketch the parts that are easy to describe, but you'll leave out impressions and ideas that may have been integral to the dream, mostly because you don't have words for it and you aren't really used to thinking about such things. For example, you won't be able to communicate the odd sense you may have had that space sort of constricted and yet elongated around the top of the domes in the restaurant and that there was a sense that it was another sort of something, like what? like a dimension, and there was a presence up there that you could just sense of other people... See, I'm talking about an actual dream I had now, and there is no way for me to convey exactly what I mean here because it is outside of our language's ability to describe it. And I can't talk with much precision about how the waiter was someone I felt certain I knew in the dream. I completely remembered and recognized him, but I don't have any real memory of him that I'm aware of, so I don't know how I could have recognized him. So I recognized him, but I didn't. Yeah. No wonder people sound ridiculous to other people when they try to explain psychedelic experiences.

You're trying to explain something that can't be explained with normal language. The reason for this is that psychedelic experiences (and they're all somewhat different, depending on substance and dosage etc) seem to act on the brain, not by adding anything to your perceptual experience, but by subtracting from it.

Psychedelics (at least in the case of psilocybin, as studied here: http://www3.imperial.ac.uk...) tend to inhibit the parts of the brain that filter incoming information, so that you actually see and hear and feel what you really see and feel and hear rather than what you normally think you see and hear, which is basically a story your brain is putting together for you, so that you can make the best, most efficient use of the data it's receiving. It's giving you an edited summary of what it's experiencing. When you use psychedelics, you're bypassing this summary and going directly to the source material.

One will find oneself thinking much more like a child. There is a sense of wonder in everything, as if you're seeing it for the first time. In effect, this is what psychedelics do. They take away your habituations and expectations and biases that you've built up over years and years of putting things into neat boxes of language so you can act efficiently in the world.

Every time you see an object drop to the floor, some helpful little categorizing, editing, part of you thinks "drop: the verb that describes what I'm observing. It's normal. It's caused by gravity." So you pick up the pen and you go back to what you were doing.

The first time I took mushrooms, that part of me wasn't there to provide the usual summary. I was holding a pen and looking at it deeply, and I let it go. I was absolutely astonished when I saw it move, completely on it's own accord, in the direction of the floor. It then pressed itself against the floor and remained there. Instead of thinking "Oh, I dropped the pen," I found myself thinking, "Why the bloody hell did it just do that? How? Oh my GOD! It just moved, shot off, all by itself..." I was aware of gravity of course, but gravity was no longer a word that actually told me anything. It was a patch that was placed on a hole in my understanding of the universe, and I saw right through that hole for the first time since childhood. "What the bloody hell IS gravity?" I could describe gravity and how it works all day, but when you come down to WHAT it is, you may as well say gravity is a goddamn magic spell that makes things move that way, or even, gravity is just a way of describing a tendency things have of moving THEMSELVES that way. Who the hell really knows?

So with psychedelics, your understanding of reality and the very nature of the universe and of the self looking at it, can be understood in ways that are so radically different and astonishing and yet self-evident, that it is completely impossible to effectively communicate the fullness and depth and power of the experience. But there is great value in being able to look at the world like a child. One finds oneself asking questions and making observations that one never would have thought of when one is busy sorting the perceptual and conceptual world into boxes...

Disclaimer: I don't use psychedelics now and I do not condone or encourage their use by the mentally ill or children, or in improper setting, or by those who use them recreationally. :)
WiseHagbard
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2013 11:51:15 PM
At 11/27/2013 1:22:36 PM, Beverlee wrote:

That is EXACTLY how I saw it... I still feel cheated because of how it happened, but that was my takeaway. When I felt like I had turned inside out, I stopped seeing myself as "apart" from the universe, and saw what it might be like to feel like I was "a part" of all of this. I felt like stars because the membranes that seperated "me" from "them" were suddenly so flimsy and inconsequential that I lost the feeling of individuality and seperation. For a few minutes, I felt so diluted by the reality that was all around me that my "identity" was completely overwhelmed and unimportant.

Hi Beverlee. I just want to say that I'm 99% sure that wasn't PCP.

What you're describing sounds very much like a Salvia Divinorum experience. There are a number of videos on youtube of misguided young fools giving Salvia to people in the guise of cannabis and videoing their reactions, which are usually only a matter of minutes (but subjectively can seem almost infinite). It's one of the most potent psychedelics in existence, so needless to say, this can be utterly terrifying, so I'm glad to hear it was at least somewhat manageable in your case.

Fortunately Salvia seems to be a relatively safe substance for most people to use and appears to be metabolized very quickly by the body. It really shouldn't be used in recreational settings, and especially given to people who aren't ready for it. That's incredibly inconsiderate. It's a potent plant and should be treated with respect and used only by those who want to better themselves through the insights it provides.

Incidentally, Salvia is still legal in a number of states. If anyone tries it though, please use with caution and respect. And don't do anything that will give it any worse of a reputation...
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2013 2:20:30 AM
You should take shrooms.
Beverlee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2013 2:15:41 PM
At 12/22/2013 11:51:15 PM, WiseHagbard wrote:
At 11/27/2013 1:22:36 PM, Beverlee wrote:

Hi Beverlee. I just want to say that I'm 99% sure that wasn't PCP.

What you're describing sounds very much like a Salvia Divinorum experience. There are a number of videos on youtube of misguided young fools giving Salvia to people in the guise of cannabis and videoing their reactions, which are usually only a matter of minutes (but subjectively can seem almost infinite). It's one of the most potent psychedelics in existence, so needless to say, this can be utterly terrifying, so I'm glad to hear it was at least somewhat manageable in your case.

Fortunately Salvia seems to be a relatively safe substance for most people to use and appears to be metabolized very quickly by the body. It really shouldn't be used in recreational settings, and especially given to people who aren't ready for it. That's incredibly inconsiderate. It's a potent plant and should be treated with respect and used only by those who want to better themselves through the insights it provides.

Incidentally, Salvia is still legal in a number of states. If anyone tries it though, please use with caution and respect. And don't do anything that will give it any worse of a reputation...

Thank you! I'm researching it now... That experience has been a mystery to me for a long time!
ironmaiden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2013 11:03:07 PM
Am I the only one here who isn't on drugs?

Holy fvck...
"I know what you're thinking. 'Did he fire six shots or only five?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being that his is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question. 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2013 11:06:41 PM
At 12/24/2013 11:03:07 PM, ironmaiden wrote:

Holy fvck...
No Ma'am. You can join my elite no-smoking, no-alcohol and no-drug union.
ironmaiden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2013 11:13:19 PM
At 12/24/2013 11:06:41 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 12/24/2013 11:03:07 PM, ironmaiden wrote:

Holy fvck...
No Ma'am. You can join my elite no-smoking, no-alcohol and no-drug union.

Thank goodness! No wonder these people do acid, they sound like they're on it right now!
"I know what you're thinking. 'Did he fire six shots or only five?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being that his is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question. 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"