Jump to topic:

Please explain your DDO Screen Name!

Beverlee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 12:12:04 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I know two people that are on here in real life, meaning not in the cyber world. BOTH of them made up super-creative and quirky screen names. Mine is just my name, lol.

The story behind it: Me and my friend had an account a long time ago that we started for a class assignment, then we sort of abandoned it. I think that account screen name was "Beverly." Later, I couldn't get back into that account, so I just misspelled my name a little bit: My real name is Beverly, not "Beverlee."

So, I was wondering if some people could explain what their names mean and how they came up with them!
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 12:23:41 PM
I was trying to open a YouTube account because I wanted to upload some videos I had ( that were taking too much space on my laptop). I tried a few variations of my name, didn't work. Tried some RobertPattinsonFan-esque names, but realised I would never want to be associated with that pathetic-ness. This went on for a pretty long time, and then I just gave up. Made up a decent sounding gender neutral name with a healthy combination of vowels and consonents. Tada. It kinda stuck.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 12:32:21 PM
I was big in to that one German guy.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
Soulja_n
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 12:45:41 PM
I am in love soldiers and I like the name soulja because even though soldiers fight real war and real battles, non-soldiers fight battles too, like cancer, bullies, marriage/divorce, ect. And the "N" just represents my first initial because my name is Nyia!!!
Beverlee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 12:51:38 PM
At 12/1/2013 12:23:41 PM, Cermank wrote:
I was trying to open a YouTube account because I wanted to upload some videos I had ( that were taking too much space on my laptop). I tried a few variations of my name, didn't work. Tried some RobertPattinsonFan-esque names, but realised I would never want to be associated with that pathetic-ness. This went on for a pretty long time, and then I just gave up. Made up a decent sounding gender neutral name with a healthy combination of vowels and consonents. Tada. It kinda stuck.

Ugh, that is SO not fair, lol! Aayushi is such a beautiful name, and so original and unique sounding... Cermank is pretty, too, though. I always thought it sounded real space-age and futuristic. I can't believe you just threw some vowels together and came up with it. Why did you want it to be gender neutral?
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 1:05:34 PM
At 12/1/2013 12:51:38 PM, Beverlee wrote:

Ugh, that is SO not fair, lol! Aayushi is such a beautiful name, and so original and unique sounding... Cermank is pretty, too, though. I always thought it sounded real space-age and futuristic. I can't believe you just threw some vowels together and came up with it. Why did you want it to be gender neutral?

Just because, lol. I dunno, but whenever I've had girly usernames, the discussions have been more ' make me a sammich/ gobacktokitchen/ must be PMS' rather than normal ones. Its usually alright after a while, but irritating nonetheless.

And its one of the most common names here </3
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 1:10:37 PM
My name originated from an inside joke with my brother, and I tend to use it as a common screen name.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
Beverlee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 1:19:05 PM
At 12/1/2013 12:45:41 PM, Soulja_n wrote:
I am in love soldiers and I like the name soulja because even though soldiers fight real war and real battles, non-soldiers fight battles too, like cancer, bullies, marriage/divorce, ect. And the "N" just represents my first initial because my name is Nyia!!!

Freedom is won by civilians who legitimize, or withdraw consent, from the larger society. You are exactly right
Beverlee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 1:20:04 PM
At 12/1/2013 1:10:37 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
My name originated from an inside joke with my brother, and I tend to use it as a common screen name.

I was wondering about your name. I though you had a previous account that you closed, and this was you going back to a "classic" screen name, lol...
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 1:20:05 PM
At 12/1/2013 12:46:57 PM, Beverlee wrote:
At 12/1/2013 12:32:21 PM, Noumena wrote:

These guys? Cool!

http://en.wikipedia.org...(band)

Lol what does Scandinavian death mental have to do with Kantian epistemology?
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
Beverlee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 1:21:22 PM
At 12/1/2013 1:20:05 PM, Noumena wrote:

These guys? Cool!

Sorry, I'm dumb - I thought did a Google search for germanic people with that name, lol
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 1:23:06 PM
At 12/1/2013 1:21:22 PM, Beverlee wrote:

These guys? Cool!

Sorry, I'm dumb - I thought did a Google search for germanic people with that name, lol

http://rintintin.colorado.edu...

I am that which lies beneath mere appearance. I am.....the Dark Knight.
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 1:26:17 PM

Linguistically, it's painful. Cermank?
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 1:26:58 PM
I am Mouthwash all over the internet. I plagiarized it from another forum as a little kid and it's stuck with me ever since.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 1:29:20 PM
At 12/1/2013 1:20:04 PM, Beverlee wrote:
At 12/1/2013 1:10:37 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:

I was wondering about your name. I though you had a previous account that you closed, and this was you going back to a "classic" screen name, lol...

Well, I sort of did. I joined DDO under the name AtomicJedi, I did one debate, and then I closed that account.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 1:30:18 PM
At 12/1/2013 1:23:06 PM, Noumena wrote:

These guys? Cool!

Not to derail the thread, but have there been philosophers who have seriously argued it is possible for beings to experience noumena directly?
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 1:30:29 PM
At 12/1/2013 1:26:17 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:

Linguistically, it's painful. Cermank?

Lol sorry my subconscious wasn't particularly thinking about linguistics.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 1:41:20 PM
At 12/1/2013 1:30:18 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:

These guys? Cool!

Not to derail the thread, but have there been philosophers who have seriously argued it is possible for beings to experience noumena directly?

There have been those who deny the relevance of any such distinction in the first place.
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 1:42:42 PM
At 12/1/2013 1:41:20 PM, Noumena wrote:

These guys? Cool!

There have been those who deny the relevance of any such distinction in the first place.

I'm aware, but have there been any who accepted the distinction and argued it was possible? For instance, the argument that God might have no intermediary between himself knowledge seems to be similar.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 1:49:27 PM
At 12/1/2013 1:42:42 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:

These guys? Cool!

I'm aware, but have there been any who accepted the distinction and argued it was possible? For instance, the argument that God might have no intermediary between himself knowledge seems to be similar.

I assume so.
Mysterious_Stranger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 2:01:45 PM
My name is a mere reflection of what I, am and what we all were or are at some point in our lives. It highlights the fact that at some point we are but strangers, with a considerable amount of mystery about us. My name explains the shadowing sense of doubt inside us all, it explains the brutal hindsight within our minds and our forthcoming sense of realisation. It explains the reason we continue with out pointless endeavours. It explains why we wake up at 3am sweating and feeling sun human. It explains everything.
Turn around, go back.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 2:11:03 PM
At 12/1/2013 2:01:45 PM, Mysterious_Stranger wrote:
My name is a mere reflection of what I, am and what we all were or are at some point in our lives. It highlights the fact that at some point we are but strangers, with a considerable amount of mystery about us. My name explains the shadowing sense of doubt inside us all, it explains the brutal hindsight within our minds and our forthcoming sense of realisation. It explains the reason we continue with out pointless endeavours. It explains why we wake up at 3am sweating and feeling sun human. It explains everything.

Deep bro...

I am the Doctor. "An Doctuir" is the Irish for "The Doctor". I guess, uh, I've decided to be something more than sub-human like Mysterious_Stranger here, though I get the sentiment.
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 2:27:18 PM
At 12/1/2013 2:11:03 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:

Deep bro...

I am the Doctor. "An Doctuir" is the Irish for "The Doctor". I guess, uh, I've decided to be something more than sub-human like Mysterious_Stranger here, though I get the sentiment.

Doctor who?
Wren_cyborg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 2:58:36 PM
My favorite video game as a kid was Phantasy Star 3; I just picked a character in it.

I usually identify as Rob1billion on the internet, I wanted "Rob" as a name originally and instead of having to use annoying numbers next to get (Rob_257??) it I picked a billion. In efforts towards anonymity, I am not using it.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 3:21:39 PM
At 12/1/2013 2:27:18 PM, Cermank wrote:
At 12/1/2013 2:11:03 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:

Deep bro...

Doctor who?

Kfc
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 3:23:46 PM
I get so much a** that im like a bench
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 3:28:44 PM
At 12/1/2013 1:49:27 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 12/1/2013 1:42:42 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:

These guys? Cool!

I assume so.

Two sentences, one with a question mark and one with a period.