Total Posts:104|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

The Books We Hate from Middle/High School

YYW
Posts: 36,382
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2013 8:32:53 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
1. The Kite Runner- vile
2. Into the Wild- I wanted to see McCandless die.
3. Of Mice and Men- I still personally hold this ending against the author.
4. On the Road- I would have rather undergone an unnecessary root canal without anesthetics than have read this book.
5. The Pearl- Dreadful in all possible ways.
6. The Overton Window- This was actually so bad it was amusing, but still lives in infamy.
7. The Red Badge of Courage- Horrible.
8. Grendel- Literary trash.
9. The Grapes of Wrath- Trash.
10. The Scarlet Letter- One of the most over-romantasized bits of doggerel ever published.
11. The Catcher in the Rye- I would have preferred to have seen Holden die in the trenches of WWII from a Nazi gas attack.
12. The Crucible- Trash.
13. A Separate Peace- One of the most tragically pointless books that has ever been written.

It should be fairly obvious that I'm not all that big on iconic American literature. I like modern American lit (David Mitchell, and the like) and I loved Gatsby (although not for the reasons that I think most people do), but I think that, for example, John Steinbeck is one of the single worst noteworthy literary authors of all time. I also hate Jack Kerouac with a visceral passion. Notice that there is only one Dickens novel on here.

Books that should be read more- Dostoevsky, Dickens, Kafka, T. S. Elliot, David Mitchell, J.K. Rowling, J.R.R. Tolkien, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Margaret Atwood, George Elliot, Austen, Tolstoy, Chekov, Coleridge (even though he did write some pretty dreadful things), and, on an extremely limited basis, Faulkner.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Posts: 36,382
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2013 8:37:18 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
And actually, I guess The Overton Window wasn't something I read in middle/high school... lol... I was just couldn't omit it from a list of horrible books I've read.
Tsar of DDO
Eitan_Zohar
Posts: 2,697
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2013 8:45:30 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/3/2013 8:32:53 AM, YYW wrote:
1. The Kite Runner- vile
2. Into the Wild- I wanted to see McCandless die.
3. Of Mice and Men- I still personally hold this ending against the author.
4. On the Road- I would have rather undergone an unnecessary root canal without anesthetics than have read this book.
5. The Pearl- Dreadful in all possible ways.
6. The Overton Window- This was actually so bad it was amusing, but still lives in infamy.
7. The Red Badge of Courage- Horrible.
8. Grendel- Literary trash.
9. The Grapes of Wrath- Trash.
10. The Scarlet Letter- One of the most over-romantasized bits of doggerel ever published.
11. The Catcher in the Rye- I would have preferred to have seen Holden die in the trenches of WWII from a Nazi gas attack.
12. The Crucible- Trash.
13. A Separate Peace- One of the most tragically pointless books that has ever been written.


It should be fairly obvious that I'm not all that big on iconic American literature. I like modern American lit (David Mitchell, and the like) and I loved Gatsby (although not for the reasons that I think most people do), but I think that, for example, John Steinbeck is one of the single worst noteworthy literary authors of all time. I also hate Jack Kerouac with a visceral passion. Notice that there is only one Dickens novel on here.

Books that should be read more- Dostoevsky, Dickens, Kafka, T. S. Elliot, David Mitchell, J.K. Rowling, J.R.R. Tolkien, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Margaret Atwood, George Elliot, Austen, Tolstoy, Chekov, Coleridge (even though he did write some pretty dreadful things), and, on an extremely limited basis, Faulkner.

I can't understand a word Dickens writes. Tolkien is a bore.

I hated the Cay with a passion. One of the most pointless books I've ever been forced to read. I could have read the whole thing in an hour (this was back in sixth grade), yet the reading dragged on for weeks, chapter by chapter, assignment by assignment.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
dylancatlow
Posts: 12,253
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2013 9:11:18 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
The River Between...a book about a girl who gets a circumcision in hopes of getting married but then dies. It's notorious in my class for being awful on a cosmic scale. Some teachers even refuse to teach it.
Wren_cyborg
Posts: 241
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2013 9:59:42 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/3/2013 8:32:53 AM, YYW wrote:

3. Of Mice and Men- I still personally hold this ending against the author.

The most powerful ending a story ever had. You have a problem crying or something?
YYW
Posts: 36,382
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2013 10:46:21 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/3/2013 9:59:42 AM, Wren_cyborg wrote:
At 12/3/2013 8:32:53 AM, YYW wrote:

3. Of Mice and Men- I still personally hold this ending against the author.

The most powerful ending a story ever had. You have a problem crying or something?

I have a problem with shitty, unnecessarily awful endings. Crying was not what I did. Irritation with the author was what I felt.
Tsar of DDO
NightofTheLivingCats
Posts: 2,294
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2013 11:03:59 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/3/2013 8:32:53 AM, YYW wrote:
1. The Kite Runner- vile
2. Into the Wild- I wanted to see McCandless die.
3. Of Mice and Men- I still personally hold this ending against the author.
4. On the Road- I would have rather undergone an unnecessary root canal without anesthetics than have read this book.
5. The Pearl- Dreadful in all possible ways.
6. The Overton Window- This was actually so bad it was amusing, but still lives in infamy.
7. The Red Badge of Courage- Horrible.
8. Grendel- Literary trash.
9. The Grapes of Wrath- Trash.
10. The Scarlet Letter- One of the most over-romantasized bits of doggerel ever published.
11. The Catcher in the Rye- I would have preferred to have seen Holden die in the trenches of WWII from a Nazi gas attack.
12. The Crucible- Trash.

lol?
13. A Separate Peace- One of the most tragically pointless books that has ever been written.
ClassicRobert
Posts: 2,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2013 11:09:36 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
The Sound and the Fury, as well as As I Lay Dying. Really, any book by William Faulkner. His writing style is just... unpleasant.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
thett3
Posts: 14,375
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2013 11:17:48 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/3/2013 8:32:53 AM, YYW wrote:
1. The Kite Runner- vile
2. Into the Wild- I wanted to see McCandless die.
3. Of Mice and Men- I still personally hold this ending against the author.
4. On the Road- I would have rather undergone an unnecessary root canal without anesthetics than have read this book.
5. The Pearl- Dreadful in all possible ways.
6. The Overton Window- This was actually so bad it was amusing, but still lives in infamy.
7. The Red Badge of Courage- Horrible.
8. Grendel- Literary trash.
9. The Grapes of Wrath- Trash.

For shame!

10. The Scarlet Letter- One of the most over-romantasized bits of doggerel ever published.
11. The Catcher in the Rye- I would have preferred to have seen Holden die in the trenches of WWII from a Nazi gas attack.

Take that back. Now. I worship Holden as a god

12. The Crucible- Trash.
13. A Separate Peace- One of the most tragically pointless books that has ever been written.

Agreed.



It should be fairly obvious that I'm not all that big on iconic American literature. I like modern American lit (David Mitchell, and the like) and I loved Gatsby (although not for the reasons that I think most people do), but I think that, for example, John Steinbeck is one of the single worst noteworthy literary authors of all time. I also hate Jack Kerouac with a visceral passion. Notice that there is only one Dickens novel on here.

Books that should be read more- Dostoevsky, Dickens, Kafka, T. S. Elliot, David Mitchell, J.K. Rowling, J.R.R. Tolkien, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Margaret Atwood, George Elliot, Austen, Tolstoy, Chekov, Coleridge (even though he did write some pretty dreadful things), and, on an extremely limited basis, Faulkner.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Wren_cyborg
Posts: 241
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2013 11:21:27 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/3/2013 10:46:21 AM, YYW wrote:
At 12/3/2013 9:59:42 AM, Wren_cyborg wrote:
At 12/3/2013 8:32:53 AM, YYW wrote:

3. Of Mice and Men- I still personally hold this ending against the author.

The most powerful ending a story ever had. You have a problem crying or something?

I have a problem with shitty, unnecessarily awful endings. Crying was not what I did. Irritation with the author was what I felt.

That troubles me. Crying is a natural and beautiful process of the human mind. If you're turning to anger when you should be crying, it probably means you're holding your mind back.

In this instance, you are blaming an author for creating sorrow unnecessarily. It's true that there never did need to be a fictional retard getting his head blown off, but what about real life tragedy that you can't blame anyone else for creating? Watch this video, and hear this guy's story. http://www.wimp.com... Don't hold back!
ClassicRobert
Posts: 2,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2013 11:22:57 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Don't get me wrong, I certainly see the value in critically reading Faulkner. It's just that his writing style is meh.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
Jonbonbon
Posts: 2,763
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2013 11:28:54 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Tale of two cities
Red badge of courage

And I've successfully erased the rest of them from my memory
The Troll Queen.

I'm also the Troll Goddess of Reason. Sacrifices are appreciated but not necessary.

"I'm a vivacious sex fiend," SolonKR.

Go vote on one of my debates. I'm not that smart, so it'll probably be an easy decision.

Fite me m9

http://www.debate.org...
Andromeda_Z
Posts: 4,151
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2013 11:29:38 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/3/2013 11:22:57 AM, ClassicRobert wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I certainly see the value in critically reading Faulkner. It's just that his writing style is meh.

His writing style sucks. He uses too many words to describe too little. Faulkner takes a novel to write what others could in a short story, with no improvement on it. Leave something to the imagination, goddamn it.

But yeah, I really like Hemingway.
YYW
Posts: 36,382
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2013 11:37:00 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/3/2013 11:17:48 AM, thett3 wrote:
At 12/3/2013 8:32:53 AM, YYW wrote:
1. The Kite Runner- vile
2. Into the Wild- I wanted to see McCandless die.
3. Of Mice and Men- I still personally hold this ending against the author.
4. On the Road- I would have rather undergone an unnecessary root canal without anesthetics than have read this book.
5. The Pearl- Dreadful in all possible ways.
6. The Overton Window- This was actually so bad it was amusing, but still lives in infamy.
7. The Red Badge of Courage- Horrible.
8. Grendel- Literary trash.
9. The Grapes of Wrath- Trash.

For shame!

Bile. lol

10. The Scarlet Letter- One of the most over-romantasized bits of doggerel ever published.
11. The Catcher in the Rye- I would have preferred to have seen Holden die in the trenches of WWII from a Nazi gas attack.

Take that back. Now. I worship Holden as a god

Even if you're being sarcastic, that would make sense.

12. The Crucible- Trash.
13. A Separate Peace- One of the most tragically pointless books that has ever been written.

Agreed.



It should be fairly obvious that I'm not all that big on iconic American literature. I like modern American lit (David Mitchell, and the like) and I loved Gatsby (although not for the reasons that I think most people do), but I think that, for example, John Steinbeck is one of the single worst noteworthy literary authors of all time. I also hate Jack Kerouac with a visceral passion. Notice that there is only one Dickens novel on here.

Books that should be read more- Dostoevsky, Dickens, Kafka, T. S. Elliot, David Mitchell, J.K. Rowling, J.R.R. Tolkien, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Margaret Atwood, George Elliot, Austen, Tolstoy, Chekov, Coleridge (even though he did write some pretty dreadful things), and, on an extremely limited basis, Faulkner.

I suppose, thett, we have different taste in literature. That's perfectly understandable...
Tsar of DDO
thett3
Posts: 14,375
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2013 11:37:47 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I'm going to go over every book/play I remember reading for high school English class, giving it either a positive or negative rating.

Great Expectations- Sucks shitt
The Odyssey- Cool as shitt
Romeo and Juliet- Cool as shitt
A separate peace- Sucks shitt
Oedipus Rex- Sucks shitt
Antigone- Cool as shitt ("but OMG Antigone is the daughter of Oedious!" Yeah, go get bent)
Bless me Ultima- Cool as shitt
To kill a mockingbird- Cool as shitt
Julius Caesar- Cool as shitt
The Road- Cool as shitt
Slaughterhouse five- Cool as shitt
Catcher in the rye- Cool as shitt
Macbeth- Cool as shitt
Wuthering Heights- Sucks shitt
As I lay dying- Sucks shitt
The sun also rises- Sucks shitt
Hamlet- Cool as shitt
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
thett3
Posts: 14,375
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2013 11:40:15 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/3/2013 11:37:47 AM, thett3 wrote:
I'm going to go over every book/play I remember reading for high school English class, giving it either a positive or negative rating.

Great Expectations- Sucks shitt
The Odyssey- Cool as shitt
Romeo and Juliet- Cool as shitt
A separate peace- Sucks shitt
Oedipus Rex- Sucks shitt
Antigone- Cool as shitt ("but OMG Antigone is the daughter of Oedious!" Yeah, go get bent)
Bless me Ultima- Cool as shitt
To kill a mockingbird- Cool as shitt
Julius Caesar- Cool as shitt
The Road- Cool as shitt
Slaughterhouse five- Cool as shitt
Catcher in the rye- Cool as shitt
Macbeth- Cool as shitt
Wuthering Heights- Sucks shitt
As I lay dying- Sucks shitt
The sun also rises- Sucks shitt
Hamlet- Cool as shitt

Brave new world- Sucks shitt
A streetcar named desire- Sucks shitt
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
YYW
Posts: 36,382
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2013 11:40:40 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/3/2013 11:22:57 AM, ClassicRobert wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I certainly see the value in critically reading Faulkner. It's just that his writing style is meh.

Faulkner is like Zinfandel. Entirely American, often more in substance and depth than people expect, and may take some time to appreciate. That said, Faulkner must be taught -and in such a way that does not confuse or poison students from the exercise of reading. That is the problem with Faulkner... he is taught by people who appreciate him because he is so widely appreciated, not because they personally appreciate what his books are.
Tsar of DDO
thett3
Posts: 14,375
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2013 11:42:28 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/3/2013 11:40:15 AM, thett3 wrote:
At 12/3/2013 11:37:47 AM, thett3 wrote:
I'm going to go over every book/play I remember reading for high school English class, giving it either a positive or negative rating.

Great Expectations- Sucks shitt
The Odyssey- Cool as shitt
Romeo and Juliet- Cool as shitt
A separate peace- Sucks shitt
Oedipus Rex- Sucks shitt
Antigone- Cool as shitt ("but OMG Antigone is the daughter of Oedious!" Yeah, go get bent)
Bless me Ultima- Cool as shitt
To kill a mockingbird- Cool as shitt
Julius Caesar- Cool as shitt
The Road- Cool as shitt
Slaughterhouse five- Cool as shitt
Catcher in the rye- Cool as shitt
Macbeth- Cool as shitt
Wuthering Heights- Sucks shitt
As I lay dying- Sucks shitt
The sun also rises- Sucks shitt
Hamlet- Cool as shitt

Brave new world- Sucks shitt
A streetcar named desire- Sucks shitt

Anyone who disagrees is wrong
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
YYW
Posts: 36,382
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2013 11:44:42 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/3/2013 11:37:47 AM, thett3 wrote:
I'm going to go over every book/play I remember reading for high school English class, giving it either a positive or negative rating.

Great Expectations- Sucks shitt

Read it when you're 25, and tell me then if you still feel the sam way. The first time I read it (10th grade) I hated it too. By the time I was a bit older, my affection for Dickens changed considerably.

The Odyssey- Cool as shitt

I am more a fan of Ulysses.

Romeo and Juliet- Cool as shitt

Agreed.

A separate peace- Sucks shitt

Fully agreed.

Oedipus Rex- Sucks shitt

Fully agreed.

Antigone- Cool as shitt ("but OMG Antigone is the daughter of Oedious!" Yeah, go get bent)

I actually hated this.

Bless me Ultima- Cool as shitt

Never read it.

To kill a mockingbird- Cool as shitt

One of the few truly great American novels that wasn't written by Faulkner.

Julius Caesar- Cool as shitt

Agreed.

The Road- Cool as shitt

I hated it.

Slaughterhouse five- Cool as shitt

Right on.

Catcher in the rye- Cool as shitt

Hell no.

Macbeth- Cool as shitt

Right on.

Wuthering Heights- Sucks shitt

This is one of those books that really shouldn't be taught in high school, but should be required reading for every undergrad.

As I lay dying- Sucks shitt

Same as Wurthing Heights...

The sun also rises- Sucks shitt

Agreed.

Hamlet- Cool as shitt

Completely agreed.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Posts: 36,382
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2013 11:45:36 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/3/2013 11:40:15 AM, thett3 wrote:
Brave new world- Sucks shitt

Ok, so far everything you've said at least makes sense... but this is just baffling. What about Brave New World didn't you like?
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Posts: 36,382
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2013 11:47:38 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/3/2013 11:21:27 AM, Wren_cyborg wrote:
At 12/3/2013 10:46:21 AM, YYW wrote:
At 12/3/2013 9:59:42 AM, Wren_cyborg wrote:
At 12/3/2013 8:32:53 AM, YYW wrote:

3. Of Mice and Men- I still personally hold this ending against the author.

The most powerful ending a story ever had. You have a problem crying or something?

I have a problem with shitty, unnecessarily awful endings. Crying was not what I did. Irritation with the author was what I felt.

That troubles me. Crying is a natural and beautiful process of the human mind. If you're turning to anger when you should be crying, it probably means you're holding your mind back.

You might be right, and I might be emotionally stunted, but I viscerally hate that book.

In this instance, you are blaming an author for creating sorrow unnecessarily. It's true that there never did need to be a fictional retard getting his head blown off, but what about real life tragedy that you can't blame anyone else for creating?

I can think of ten other ways that could have ended that didn't involve the unnecessary execution and betrayal of someone who was mentally handicapped. The book is morally debase, and therefore vile.
Tsar of DDO
thett3
Posts: 14,375
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2013 11:47:56 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/3/2013 11:45:36 AM, YYW wrote:
At 12/3/2013 11:40:15 AM, thett3 wrote:
Brave new world- Sucks shitt

Ok, so far everything you've said at least makes sense... but this is just baffling. What about Brave New World didn't you like?

I actually meant to write "cool as shitt"...whoops.

And regarding Great Expectations, I read it in 9th grade so I wouldn't be surprised at all if my opinion changes
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
YYW
Posts: 36,382
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2013 11:48:19 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/3/2013 9:11:18 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
The River Between...a book about a girl who gets a circumcision in hopes of getting married but then dies. It's notorious in my class for being awful on a cosmic scale. Some teachers even refuse to teach it.

I've never read that, but it sounds as awful as the Kite Runner.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Posts: 36,382
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2013 11:49:28 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/3/2013 11:47:56 AM, thett3 wrote:
At 12/3/2013 11:45:36 AM, YYW wrote:
At 12/3/2013 11:40:15 AM, thett3 wrote:
Brave new world- Sucks shitt

Ok, so far everything you've said at least makes sense... but this is just baffling. What about Brave New World didn't you like?

I actually meant to write "cool as shitt"...whoops.

And regarding Great Expectations, I read it in 9th grade so I wouldn't be surprised at all if my opinion changes

Ok, good then.

And really, give Dickens a chance. He is the British equivalent of Dostoevsky, who is without reservation my all time favorite author.
Tsar of DDO
thett3
Posts: 14,375
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2013 11:50:45 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/3/2013 11:49:28 AM, YYW wrote:
At 12/3/2013 11:47:56 AM, thett3 wrote:
At 12/3/2013 11:45:36 AM, YYW wrote:
At 12/3/2013 11:40:15 AM, thett3 wrote:
Brave new world- Sucks shitt

Ok, so far everything you've said at least makes sense... but this is just baffling. What about Brave New World didn't you like?

I actually meant to write "cool as shitt"...whoops.

And regarding Great Expectations, I read it in 9th grade so I wouldn't be surprised at all if my opinion changes

Ok, good then.

And really, give Dickens a chance. He is the British equivalent of Dostoevsky, who is without reservation my all time favorite author.

Yeah, my roommate told me I was an idiot when I said I didn't like it too :P.

And about wuthering heights, our teacher made it impossible to like it...she would play this song every day
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Cermank
Posts: 3,773
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2013 11:51:59 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
The only book I've read from all of them lists is Julius Caeser. Wth. I thought I had a pretty nice grasp on the fiction department.
YYW
Posts: 36,382
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2013 11:53:16 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/3/2013 11:50:45 AM, thett3 wrote:
At 12/3/2013 11:49:28 AM, YYW wrote:
At 12/3/2013 11:47:56 AM, thett3 wrote:
At 12/3/2013 11:45:36 AM, YYW wrote:
At 12/3/2013 11:40:15 AM, thett3 wrote:
Brave new world- Sucks shitt

Ok, so far everything you've said at least makes sense... but this is just baffling. What about Brave New World didn't you like?

I actually meant to write "cool as shitt"...whoops.

And regarding Great Expectations, I read it in 9th grade so I wouldn't be surprised at all if my opinion changes

Ok, good then.

And really, give Dickens a chance. He is the British equivalent of Dostoevsky, who is without reservation my all time favorite author.

Yeah, my roommate told me I was an idiot when I said I didn't like it too :P.

Well, you're not an idiot for not liking what I or your roommate like, but I do think that how you feel about the book might change over time.

And about wuthering heights, our teacher made it impossible to like it...she would play this song every day

It sounds like you had a worthless teacher, which is entirely too common.
Tsar of DDO
thett3
Posts: 14,375
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2013 11:55:15 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/3/2013 11:53:16 AM, YYW wrote:
At 12/3/2013 11:50:45 AM, thett3 wrote:
At 12/3/2013 11:49:28 AM, YYW wrote:
At 12/3/2013 11:47:56 AM, thett3 wrote:
At 12/3/2013 11:45:36 AM, YYW wrote:
At 12/3/2013 11:40:15 AM, thett3 wrote:
Brave new world- Sucks shitt

Ok, so far everything you've said at least makes sense... but this is just baffling. What about Brave New World didn't you like?

I actually meant to write "cool as shitt"...whoops.

And regarding Great Expectations, I read it in 9th grade so I wouldn't be surprised at all if my opinion changes

Ok, good then.

And really, give Dickens a chance. He is the British equivalent of Dostoevsky, who is without reservation my all time favorite author.

Yeah, my roommate told me I was an idiot when I said I didn't like it too :P.

Well, you're not an idiot for not liking what I or your roommate like, but I do think that how you feel about the book might change over time.

And about wuthering heights, our teacher made it impossible to like it...she would play this song every day

It sounds like you had a worthless teacher, which is entirely too common.

Not exactly worthless...just liked to annoy us with bad music.

I also had a math teacher that would always play this instrumental music she THOUGHT was peaceful when we would take a test, but really it just made it all more stressful. I cringe every time I hear a song even close to it...
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Wren_cyborg
Posts: 241
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2013 12:18:58 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I can think of ten other ways that could have ended that didn't involve the unnecessary execution and betrayal of someone who was mentally handicapped. The book is morally debase, and therefore vile.

You obviously didn't get the point of the ending at all.