Jump to topic:

I hate analogies.

TheAntidoter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2013 2:14:54 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I'm sorry, I just have to get this off of my chest.

I. Hate. Analogies.

I see too many freaking people get into a "simple" analogy, then the FREAKING REST OF THE TIME people argue over specifics in the analogy without attacking what it was supposed to represent. If people would bother actually attacking points instead of getting into stupid arguments on how baking a cake relates to college education being a necessity (That's actually happened), then I have no choice but to not use Analogies in any argument whatsoever. It's beyond stupid. It just seems to me that people use it as a convenient straw-man or bait-and-switch replacing a country with A FREAKING KITTEN to try and win an argument.

Analogies would be nice, if maybe people would use them correctly, but a ton of people don't. They just like the illusion of clarity it gives them, and a convenient excuse to drop details that are different. It's frustrating.
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2013 3:33:19 PM
Analogies are a lot like piles of dead babies. Great when we know it's just made up, but not very good when we apply it to the real world.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
NiqashMotawadi3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2013 2:53:08 AM
At 12/3/2013 3:33:19 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Analogies are a lot like piles of dead babies. Great when we know it's just made up, but not very good when we apply it to the real world.

I like how you didn't use an analogy to make your point. That is like wiping off the ketchup on your face with your legs stuck in the mud.
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2013 3:41:51 AM
Analogies are a wondrous form of shorthand that are extremely useful - a very good way to communicate our past experiences. Analogies, aphorisms; all have their place in the sun.

I do take your point that many misuse analogies, though there's also the idea that analogies need not be accurate, only accurate for the point that is to be made.

And don't you know, 'hate' is a peculiarly strong word.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2013 8:16:18 AM
At 12/3/2013 3:33:19 PM, FREEDO wrote:

Lol
The Troll Queen.

I'm also the Troll Goddess of Reason. Sacrifices are appreciated but not necessary.

"I'm a vivacious sex fiend," SolonKR.

Go vote on one of my debates. I'm not that smart, so it'll probably be an easy decision.

Fite me m9

http://www.debate.org...
KingDebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2013 10:49:47 AM
The analogies that annoy me are the ones that are exactly the same, only changing characters or something, if you know what I mean.