Jump to topic:

Please help me.

Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2013 7:23:43 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I am addicted to RFC: Dawn of Civilization, which is a Civ IV mod (for those of you who know what I'm talking about, Dawn of Civilization just the continuation of RFC development after Rhye moved on). It's pretty amazing, but I find that I am obsessed. Now that my FFH2 addiction is over, I still don't see any lessening of time I spend binging on Civ IV. Even when I go out, I still find myself thinking constantly about what I'll do over the next few turns, how this particular game might go, how the mod could be improved, etc.

Now I'm planning a full history readthrough (which will probably take a few years to complete). I started with Ancient Egypt, and I've read one book so far, but I have like six or seven more lined up. I tore myself away from DoC a couple of days ago, drove myself all the way to the library, sat down and opened the book on the first page, and the lines blurred into meaninglessness before my eyes. It's nothing overly complicated, it's actually very readable really. But I can't do it, and I've just given up and am waiting for it to pass.

I probably have some kind of ADD. I tend to hyperfocus on things that interest me for a while and think about them no matter where I am or what I'm doing. When it was history or debating, it helped me accomplish real life things. Now that it's a computer game, it's destroying my intellectual life.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
InvictusManeo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2013 8:03:10 PM
At 12/9/2013 7:23:43 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
I am addicted to RFC: Dawn of Civilization, which is a Civ IV mod (for those of you who know what I'm talking about, Dawn of Civilization just the continuation of RFC development after Rhye moved on). It's pretty amazing, but I find that I am obsessed. Now that my FFH2 addiction is over, I still don't see any lessening of time I spend binging on Civ IV. Even when I go out, I still find myself thinking constantly about what I'll do over the next few turns, how this particular game might go, how the mod could be improved, etc.

Now I'm planning a full history readthrough (which will probably take a few years to complete). I started with Ancient Egypt, and I've read one book so far, but I have like six or seven more lined up. I tore myself away from DoC a couple of days ago, drove myself all the way to the library, sat down and opened the book on the first page, and the lines blurred into meaninglessness before my eyes. It's nothing overly complicated, it's actually very readable really. But I can't do it, and I've just given up and am waiting for it to pass.

I probably have some kind of ADD. I tend to hyperfocus on things that interest me for a while and think about them no matter where I am or what I'm doing. When it was history or debating, it helped me accomplish real life things. Now that it's a computer game, it's destroying my intellectual life.

If you actually believe that you are addicted to this game, and that it is a detriment to you, then you need to remove all possibility of accessing it. So, uninstall it.

Though games do not necessarily destroy you intellectually. They can enhance your intelligence, but it depends on the game. In this case you're playing a strategy game based on actual historical events, right? Better than Call of Duty.
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2013 8:08:53 PM
At 12/9/2013 8:03:10 PM, InvictusManeo wrote:

If you actually believe that you are addicted to this game, and that it is a detriment to you, then you need to remove all possibility of accessing it. So, uninstall it.

The problem is, there are entire forums devoted to development and strategy and I happen to have a substantial presence there. So it's definitely not so easy. It's not really just playing it that's hurting me, but the fact that I'm so obsessed with it 24/7 and can't focus on anything else.

Though games do not necessarily destroy you intellectually. They can enhance your intelligence, but it depends on the game. In this case you're playing a strategy game based on actual historical events, right? Better than Call of Duty.

Yeah, definitely. Some people even write stories to go along with their playthroughs, which they post on the forums along with saves so other players can try their hands. I don't know if that's been done for DoC, though.
InvictusManeo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2013 8:16:11 PM
At 12/9/2013 8:08:53 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
The problem is, there are entire forums devoted to development and strategy and I happen to have a substantial presence there. So it's definitely not so easy. It's not really just playing it that's hurting me, but the fact that I'm so obsessed with it 24/7 and can't focus on anything else.

Well, if you can't focus on anything else that needs to be focused on then you need to treat this as a genuine addiction, to be honest. It's not unheard of for people to become addicted to games and neglect other worthwhile pursuits. You could decide to take a break from the forum and ask a moderator to suspend your account for X period of time?

Yeah, definitely. Some people even write stories to go along with their playthroughs, which they post on the forums along with saves so other players can try their hands. I don't know if that's been done for DoC, though.

This kind of game reminds me very much of Warhammer. One of my exes was in essence 'addicted' to Warhammer and it was an all-encompassing addiction that trickled into every aspect of his life. He played the table top version, assembled and painted armies, read the books, adopted Games Workshop as a second home, etc. Though for him he already had a full-time job, so there was no incentive to change. If there is an incentive for you to spend more time reading history books, then you need to force the change.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2013 8:26:10 PM
At 12/9/2013 8:16:11 PM, InvictusManeo wrote:

Well, if you can't focus on anything else that needs to be focused on then you need to treat this as a genuine addiction, to be honest. It's not unheard of for people to become addicted to games and neglect other worthwhile pursuits. You could decide to take a break from the forum and ask a moderator to suspend your account for X period of time?

This kind of game reminds me very much of Warhammer. One of my exes was in essence 'addicted' to Warhammer and it was an all-encompassing addiction that trickled into every aspect of his life. He played the table top version, assembled and painted armies, read the books, adopted Games Workshop as a second home, etc. Though for him he already had a full-time job, so there was no incentive to change. If there is an incentive for you to spend more time reading history books, then you need to force the change.

i would call that addicted but more like an ultimate nerd quotient with that particular thing. i know A LOT about various games does that mean i'm addicted...no it does not
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
InvictusManeo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2013 8:31:34 PM
At 12/9/2013 8:26:10 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:
i would call that addicted but more like an ultimate nerd quotient with that particular thing. i know A LOT about various games does that mean i'm addicted...no it does not

Of course not, hence why addicted was parenthesized in this instance. It's not that he just had a lot of knowledge about the game Warhammer and the Warhammer universe in general; it was that he had built a dependency upon playing the game and immersing himself in that culture. If he were able to choose not to play or engage in any Warhammer related activity and not feel a sense of loss or some kind of negative effect then I wouldn't say he were addicted.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2013 9:23:31 PM
Whats your goal? Do you just want to play less, stop playing entirely, or play just as much without it affecting you when you're away?
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2013 9:36:04 PM
At 12/9/2013 8:16:11 PM, InvictusManeo wrote:

This is just getting more and more far-fetched.

Impossible in this current state of mind. As I mentioned in the OP, I did and failed utterly.
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2013 9:36:55 PM
At 12/9/2013 9:23:31 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
Whats your goal? Do you just want to play less, stop playing entirely, or play just as much without it affecting you when you're away?

I want to play a lot less. Although whenever I get focused on history or anything intellectual I tend to lose my interest in computer games altogether.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2013 2:06:54 AM
Alright then. First off, if this game is wasting several hours of your day and negatively impacting you even when off the computer, then "I'm well known on their game forums" isn't a valid excuse to keep playing. Don't know what else to say there.

ADD isn't any more compelling. Even if you have it, that only makes it more difficult to take your attention away. It doesn't make it impossible or even as hard as you're likely making it out to be.

So you should start by owning up to the fact that you have the ability to slow down and that there's no external factor actually stopping you. By granting merit to ADD, and thinking about the one disadvantage of not playing, you make your goal inherently more difficult by giving yourself a justification to continue.

Second, limit the number of games you're in. I don't know how Civ 4 works, but from the OP, it sounds like you are in multiple games. Get this number down to 1. This should not be that hard, since having to deal with the emotional highs and lows from several different games is stressful. Once you're out of every game except one, finish that game.

Once that game is done, take three days, and only thee days off. This is a much easier commitment to honor than to plan on limiting your time permanently. Regarding the issue you brought up in the OP, enjoy the time of not having to worry about planning your next move and constantly having the events of a current game on your mind. Back when I was a hardcore mafia player, I had the same problem as you - worrying about the game even when I was away from it. Once it was done though and I wasn't playing anymore, the peace of mind was liberating. So stop for three days, enjoy the time off, and at the end of the three days, if you want to start up another game, do it. But again, only play one game at a time. Under no circumstances should you do more.

I won't sit here and say that a three-day break will magically break you of your addiction, but limiting your number of games and then taking a short break (which there is no reason for you to fail at - three days is nothing) will reduce how entrenched in the game your future self becomes.
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2013 2:21:37 AM
At 12/10/2013 2:06:54 AM, BlackVoid wrote:
Alright then. First off, if this game is wasting several hours of your day and negatively impacting you even when off the computer, then "I'm well known on their game forums" isn't a valid excuse to keep playing. Don't know what else to say there.

More like eight or nine hours. My parents aren't exactly happy lol.

ADD isn't any more compelling. Even if you have it, that only makes it more difficult to take your attention away. It doesn't make it impossible or even as hard as you're likely making it out to be.

It's impossible for the same reason consciously not thinking of elephants for twenty minutes is impossible.

So you should start by owning up to the fact that you have the ability to slow down and that there's no external factor actually stopping you. By granting merit to ADD, and thinking about the one disadvantage of not playing, you make your goal inherently more difficult by giving yourself a justification to continue.

Nope, ADD is a recent conclusion. I've tried to break out for quite a bit.

Second, limit the number of games you're in. I don't know how Civ 4 works, but from the OP, it sounds like you are in multiple games. Get this number down to 1. This should not be that hard, since having to deal with the emotional highs and lows from several different games is stressful. Once you're out of every game except one, finish that game.

I'm in only one game currently, but it's on the longest speed. There's a new slave mechanic, but the modder hasn't put in a notifier for when they are available yet, so I have go through each and every civ and check if they have any for sale every single turn. This probably double or even triples the time it takes.

Once that game is done, take three days, and only thee days off.

How would I preoccupy myself in the meantime?

This is a much easier commitment to honor than to plan on limiting your time permanently. Regarding the issue you brought up in the OP, enjoy the time of not having to worry about planning your next move and constantly having the events of a current game on your mind.

I enjoy thinking about it, that's how my obsession works. It amazes even me how I never get bored of it.

Back when I was a hardcore mafia player, I had the same problem as you - worrying about the game even when I was away from it. Once it was done though and I wasn't playing anymore, the peace of mind was liberating.

Lol, I can see how mafia would be stressful. If I did multiplayer I'd probably lose ten pounds before the game was over. Civ IV multiplayer is literally like professional chess.

So stop for three days, enjoy the time off, and at the end of the three days, if you want to start up another game, do it. But again, only play one game at a time. Under no circumstances should you do more.

I can't, I'll be thinking about it the whole time.

I won't sit here and say that a three-day break will magically break you of your addiction, but limiting your number of games and then taking a short break (which there is no reason for you to fail at - three days is nothing) will reduce how entrenched in the game your future self becomes.

It might dissipate tomorrow, or it might last for months no matter what I do. There's really no telling.
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 4:59:37 PM
At 12/11/2013 1:47:14 PM, YYW wrote:
Solution: get off your fvcking computer.

It's getting better, finally. I was able to read a few pages.
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 5:00:14 PM
Also, I think that advice is plenty applicable to yourself.
abyteofbrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 10:41:11 PM

STOP PLAYING ansd your obsession will cease.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2013 12:55:07 AM
At 12/11/2013 1:47:14 PM, YYW wrote:
Solution: get off your fvcking computer.

Incidentally, this is the correct solution, although like any addiction, its easier said than done.

Not sure what else to say about this, though. If playing in just one game would have you "thinking about it the whole time", then it seems like your best solution is to not play in any, requiring you to stop entirely. But this isn't your goal, so there's a conflict of interest that you'll need to resolve.

The alternative is to just play it until you get burnt out of it (which will happen, even if it wastes several months of your life before that happens). But while this will never be a "smart" solution, its acceptable if you prevent this from happening in the future. If you're not capable of getting yourself away from a game, then you'll have to not play one in the first place and find other ways to entertain yourself.

And about this quote...

At 12/10/2013 2:21:37 AM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
How would I preoccupy myself in the meantime?

Serious answer: Get a job. But I doubt this will happen, so I don't say this very strongly.

Semi-serious answer: Precoccupy yourself by enjoying the fact that you have this problem in the first place. Most people would pay a lot of money to have the problem of "Gosh, I have no idea what to do with all my free time!". Lol.
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2013 7:13:40 AM
At 12/12/2013 7:00:04 AM, InvictusManeo wrote:
BlackVoid is smart. Listen to him. That is all.

He's a damn good Madden player to boot. The passing peanut butter to my running and reiceving jelly XD
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
InvictusManeo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2013 7:26:52 AM
At 12/12/2013 7:13:40 AM, Buddamoose wrote:

He's a damn good Madden player to boot. The passing peanut butter to my running and reiceving jelly XD

I've never witnessed someone symbolise their gaming relationship to another in the form of a PB&J sandwich, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

Also Madden is a good game but I am terrible at it. Was terrible at it. I'd be the proverbial passing of sh*t to your recieving jelly.
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2013 8:50:35 AM
At 12/12/2013 7:26:52 AM, InvictusManeo wrote:
At 12/12/2013 7:13:40 AM, Buddamoose wrote:

I've never witnessed someone symbolise their gaming relationship to another in the form of a PB&J sandwich, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

My writing kung-fu is strong

Also Madden is a good game but I am terrible at it. Was terrible at it. I'd be the proverbial passing of sh*t to your recieving jelly.

Meh, i used to be terrible at passing in madden. I admit I spent too much time practicing. Heck, I sucked at offense in general. Only thing I was good at was defense. But now... NOW, well, its a completely different story.
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2013 10:06:18 AM
At 12/11/2013 5:00:14 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:

I'm not the one with the problem...
Tsar of DDO
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2013 3:31:22 PM
At 12/12/2013 10:06:18 AM, YYW wrote:
At 12/11/2013 5:00:14 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:

I'm not the one with the problem...

You sound so self-assured.
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2013 2:05:16 AM
Bluntly put, 8-9 hours of playing on a game in a week is too much. 8-9 hours a day is an abomination.

You have to ask yourself what you're doing with your time. Are you working? Are you studying so that you are getting 100% on every test that you have? Are you cooking, cleaning and doing your duty as part of the household every day? These things may not bring short term happiness, but industry, meaningful industry to noble ends, is admirable for a reason:

I scorn myself that I spend around 7 hours a week online, including research, communications for school purposes etc. Why do I scorn myself? Because that's far too much. I have a friend who studies 4 hours a weeknight and 10 hours on weekends. Combine that with school hours and you're at about 70 hours a week. She also goes to morning classes for school and runs a sport team, so we're at about 75 hours. She is industrious. She is one of the most admirable people I know.

Am I saying that you ought to spend such hours on studies? No, I would be a hypocrite to say so. There are many other paths to pursue, as an aspiring young gentleman should know. There is so much to do. Another of my friends does such an incredible amount of things and still tops her year in some subjects.

The way to get rid of habits is simple. Keep the cue and reward; change the routine, as various scientific studies have shown.

Or, if you're looking for a specific action, exercise and socialise. A crazy idea at first, but reality (and competition) among peers is one way to catch yourself. As for exercise, the clarity you get from a sprint in the cold air is something truly beautiful. Exercise has other physiological benefits.

Alright, that's enough of my post exam relaxation on the Internet for today.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
Somecrap
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2013 3:37:42 AM

even strategy games enhance your intelligence, games like call of duty r better by improving brain actions , makes your brain more fast in every decision and activities, although im addicted to total war medival 2, kicking asses in call of duty too ^^
If u eat u excrete it cant be helped
InvictusManeo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2013 6:16:27 AM
I doubt that COD enhances your reaction times or anything in real life. Younger people fare better in war games because they have a greater ability to process and evaluate stimuli, and this decreases with age, I think from 20 years and onwards. Explains why every COD lobby I was ever in had been plagued with pubescent teenage boys.