Jump to topic:

List of Life Lessons for Gay Guys

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 1:24:09 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
1. Your happiness cannot depend on other people; it must depend only on yourself.

2. You must be able to be happy and stable by yourself before you can even hope to be happy and stable in a relationship.

3. There are always going to be bastards in the world. Bastards can't help but be bastards because that's who they are. Leave them alone, and don't let them impact your life.

4. Your emotions are something you can, should, and must learn to control if you want to be successful in life.

5. You have a responsibility to yourself to be the best version of yourself that you can be. Every minute you don't spend doing something good, is a minute you have wasted.

6. It's impossible to control how other people will react to your sexuality. So, don't worry about it.

7. What underwear you wear matters. A lot.

8. Who a person is is far more important than anything else. That applies as much to you as it does to others.

9. No one looks good in corduroy.

10. Forgiving other people is not about absolving them of their transgressions against you; it's about choosing not to let what other people have done to harm you keep you down.

11. You always have to be safe. You owe that much to yourself. So, whether he says he's clean or not, don't be stupid.

12. Drugs are bad and they will ruin your life.

13. The club scene is something that's fun but it has no meaning. It is empty of any value other than pleasure -and the pursuit of pleasure is not the way to happiness.

14. Grindr is awesome -but there are a lot of creeps. So, beware -and be careful who you bring home or who you go home with.

15. Love and lust are different things.
Tsar of DDO
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 1:30:48 PM
At 12/11/2013 1:24:09 PM, YYW wrote:
1. Your happiness cannot depend on other people; it must depend only on yourself.

2. You must be able to be happy and stable by yourself before you can even hope to be happy and stable in a relationship.

3. There are always going to be bastards in the world. Bastards can't help but be bastards because that's who they are. Leave them alone, and don't let them impact your life.

4. Your emotions are something you can, should, and must learn to control if you want to be successful in life.

5. You have a responsibility to yourself to be the best version of yourself that you can be. Every minute you don't spend doing something good, is a minute you have wasted.

6. It's impossible to control how other people will react to your sexuality. So, don't worry about it.

8. Who a person is is far more important than anything else. That applies as much to you as it does to others.

10. Forgiving other people is not about absolving them of their transgressions against you; it's about choosing not to let what other people have done to harm you keep you down.

11. You always have to be safe. You owe that much to yourself. So, whether he says he's clean or not, don't be stupid.

13. The club scene is something that's fun but it has no meaning. It is empty of any value other than pleasure -and the pursuit of pleasure is not the way to happiness.

14. Grindr is awesome -but there are a lot of creeps. So, beware -and be careful who you bring home or who you go home with.

How are these life lessons particular to gays?
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 1:35:30 PM
At 12/11/2013 1:30:48 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

Oh, I didn't realize that straight people used grindr... well, maybe str8 people lol (see 14). But of course, not all of these apply only to gay guys.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 1:36:13 PM
I mean really, Dylan... just because someone says [x] applies to [y] doesn't mean that [x] doesn't apply to [z].
Tsar of DDO
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 1:48:45 PM
At 12/11/2013 1:35:30 PM, YYW wrote:
At 12/11/2013 1:30:48 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

Oh, I didn't realize that straight people used grindr... well, maybe str8 people lol (see 14). But of course, not all of these apply only to gay guys.

lol but taking precaution when using grindr is only the concrete application of the underlying guideline to not trust random strangers with your life. The advise applies to straights as well.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 1:52:38 PM
At 12/11/2013 1:36:13 PM, YYW wrote:
I mean really, Dylan... just because someone says [x] applies to [y] doesn't mean that [x] doesn't apply to [z].

But in this context, entitling the list "life lessons for gay guys" implies that the advice is somehow particular to gays.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 1:54:22 PM
At 12/11/2013 1:52:38 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

But in this context, entitling the list "life lessons for gay guys" implies that the advice is somehow particular to gays.

That doesn't mean that it doesn't apply to others, Dylan. Come on, this is how logic works...
Tsar of DDO
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 1:56:13 PM
At 12/11/2013 1:54:22 PM, YYW wrote:

That doesn't mean that it doesn't apply to others, Dylan. Come on, this is how logic works...

It's not a matter of logic so much as it is a matter of communication.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 1:59:09 PM
At 12/11/2013 1:56:13 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

This is something you need to recognize: if I say something applies to one case doesn't mean it doesn't apply to others -or imply that one particular (or a list of fifteen particular) things is unique to that case. There is no error of communication. If I said "Here are fifteen lessons that apply ONLY to gay guys" that would have an entirely different meaning than "List of Life Lessons for Gay Guys."
Tsar of DDO
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 2:10:16 PM
At 12/11/2013 1:59:09 PM, YYW wrote:

This is something you need to recognize: if I say something applies to one case doesn't mean it doesn't apply to others -or imply that one particular (or a list of fifteen particular) things is unique to that case.

I would acknowledge it in a different context, but the way this was framed precludes that interpretation entirely.

There is no error of communication. If I said "Here are fifteen lessons that apply ONLY to gay guys" that would have an entirely different meaning than "List of Life Lessons for Gay Guys."

Let me make it concrete for you: what conclusions would the average person make about person A's fondness for romance movies if they responded to the question "do you like romance movies" with "I like the horror movies".
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 2:13:11 PM
At 12/11/2013 2:10:16 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

This is something you need to recognize: if I say something applies to one case doesn't mean it doesn't apply to others -or imply that one particular (or a list of fifteen particular) things is unique to that case.

I would acknowledge it in a different context, but the way this was framed precludes that interpretation entirely.

Dude, it's something that isn't up for interpretation. It's the literal meaning and implication of a sentence.

There is no error of communication. If I said "Here are fifteen lessons that apply ONLY to gay guys" that would have an entirely different meaning than "List of Life Lessons for Gay Guys."

Let me make it concrete for you: what conclusions would the average person make about person A's fondness for romance movies if they responded to the question "do you like romance movies" with "I like the horror movies".

Inapplicable analogy, much? lol... really, Dylan...
Tsar of DDO
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 2:16:32 PM
At 12/11/2013 2:13:11 PM, YYW wrote:

Dude, it's something that isn't up for interpretation. It's the literal meaning and implication of a sentence.

If I said "I hate gays", would you honestly entertain the notion that I hate everyone?

No, you're just not seeing the unifying principle. It's a bad example, but it illustrates my point.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 2:24:51 PM
At 12/11/2013 2:16:32 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

If I said "I hate gays", would you honestly entertain the notion that I hate everyone?

No, but you could hate other people too... do you understand the difference?

No, you're just not seeing the unifying principle. It's a bad example, but it illustrates my point.

Not really...
Tsar of DDO
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 2:43:28 PM
At 12/11/2013 2:24:51 PM, YYW wrote:

This is a bad example because it fails to isolate the improbability of hating everyone from the de facto distinction made i.e. the reasoning is displaced by unrelated inferences which lead to the same conclusion. The point I was trying to make is that the comment is obviously expressing hate for the defining characteristics of homosexuality and not the prerequisites which homosexuality builds on i.e. human. It can be assumed that communicators avoid unnecessarily restrictive boundaries precisely because it is assumed...and because it is assumed communicators want to get their message across accurately.

Not really...

Next time I see
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 2:56:38 PM
At 12/11/2013 2:43:28 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

This is a bad example because it fails to isolate the improbability of hating everyone from the de facto distinction made i.e. the reasoning is displaced by unrelated inferences which lead to the same conclusion. The point I was trying to make is that the comment is obviously expressing hate for the defining characteristics of homosexuality and not the prerequisites which homosexuality builds on i.e. human. It can be assumed that communicators avoid unnecessarily restrictive boundaries precisely because it is assumed...and because it is assumed communicators want to get their message across accurately.

Not really...

Next time I see

You're just not getting it, there, Dylan.
Tsar of DDO
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 3:09:22 PM
At 12/11/2013 2:56:38 PM, YYW wrote:
At 12/11/2013 2:43:28 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

Not really...

Next time I see

You're just not getting it, there, Dylan.

Since it's unnecessary to identify who you're addressing, you come across as somewhat condescending when you end your sentences with 'Dylan'. See how that works?
ADreamOfLiberty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 3:14:28 PM

Hey that sounds like good advice :p
LOL, yeah, it's pretty amazing how they think they can "reason" with you. - Sidewalker, speaking of advocates for sexual deviancy.

So, my advice, Liberty, is to go somewhere else. Leave, and never come back. - YYW

And that's what I did. Contact me at http://www.edeb8.com... by the same user name if you have anything you'd like to say.
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2013 6:48:28 PM
A lot of this was actually pretty good general advice. And before you ask, the only reason I clicked on this thread was because I thought you were going to tell one of those stories about something you did.

Although I probably don't want to know, but please explain.

Nolite Timere
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2013 11:19:21 PM
At 12/12/2013 6:48:28 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
A lot of this was actually pretty good general advice. And before you ask, the only reason I clicked on this thread was because I thought you were going to tell one of those stories about something you did.

My life is a lot less interesting now than it used to be, actually. I guess I grew up.

Although I probably don't want to know, but please explain.

It's about being comfortable, but it's also about what a person's underwear says about them as a person.
Tsar of DDO
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2013 8:59:37 PM

This is true.

No one listens to me when I say this. I was about to leave my mum's and didn't have a jacket so I went to borrow one from my brother. He had two corduroy jackets, I left cold.

This is especially important.

Which drugs?

Doesn't mean one can't enjoy it. Though I presume the scene varies from place to place. Very tame down here.

Oh the things these eyes have seen lol.

Seems like a good list.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2013 11:09:10 PM
How is grindr different than any other social connection site. Like other have said, these truths are universal and not exclusive
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2013 12:16:06 AM
At 12/13/2013 11:09:10 PM, sadolite wrote:
How is grindr different than any other social connection site. Like other have said, these truths are universal and not exclusive

You've never been on Grindr have you.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2013 12:21:46 AM
At 12/14/2013 12:16:06 AM, Noumena wrote:
At 12/13/2013 11:09:10 PM, sadolite wrote:

You've never been on Grindr have you.

Would you have expected him to have been?
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
Somecrap
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2013 3:16:38 AM
but i never understood how come gays have sex ?? its impossible ! lol where u gonna hit on the stomach ? and how its even begins to.... aaarach sorry but its disgusting -_-
If u eat u excrete it cant be helped
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2013 3:59:23 AM
I left this thread annoyed by how obtuse dylan is, delighted by how sagacious YYW is, and amused by how unawarez sadolite is :)

Also, Noumena sounds like a sassy black woman mixed with a well-read pirate most of the time.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.