Jump to topic:

Overcoming self-consciousness

abyteofbrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 11:08:34 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I think that reminding yourself that "those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind" would help a lot. In other words, tell yourself, that whatever you do isn't likely to bother others, but if it does, it doesn't really matter that much. Just follow the basic rules of respect and courtesy, and say whatever you want otherwise. I know that this is not easily done, perhaps it's good to start by taking small steps out of your comfort zone.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 11:56:46 PM
Experience

As you get older, you experience more things, and you re-experience things, too. Experience dealing with something gives you confidence in doing that thing.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2013 12:00:40 AM
At 12/11/2013 11:56:46 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
Experience

As you get older, you experience more things, and you re-experience things, too. Experience dealing with something gives you confidence in doing that thing.

This is entirely true. Experience with finding out that there are plenty of people out there that either find you attractive, or at the least want to be in you're life vastly increases self-confidence. When that self-confidence increases, you'll find that you only become even moreso attractive and desireable to be around because confidence is one of the most attractive and desireable traits there are.
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2014 8:30:30 PM
At 12/11/2013 11:04:44 PM, abyteofbrain wrote:
Any ideas on how to overcome self-consciousness?

Stop comparing yourself others, stop worrying about what people think of you. If you don't like something about yourself, change it not for others, but for yourself. Like some tell me that my curly hair isn't great, but screw their opinion. There's no way to make it straight and that's completely fine cuz i know alot of people would kill for my hair. Take pride in what you have. I know i'm handsome and my handsomeness is far too unique to be belittled. I don't care if my pants sag a lil, if my shirts are too low, if my shirts are too "goth", whatever, it's who i am as a person. Praise your abilities and be sure of yourself.