Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 11:36:48 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Sheeeeeeeeit gimmie some advice, folks!

Law school means:
- Another 5-6 years as a student
- Roughly 70k of debt total
- A job averaging 54k/year, up to about 79k/year (http://www.indeed.com...)

Paralegal course means:
- 1 more year of school
- Roughly 15k of debt total
- a job averaging 21k/year, up to about 75k/year (http://www.indeed.com...)

I'm leaning towards going down the paralegal route. the starting pay is obviously a lot lower, but it looks like the end-resulting pay is comparable. this also gives me an extra 4-5 years to build my career, much, MUCH less debt, and I get to start my life earlier.

It would also be a lot easier on me school-wise, which is a big selling point for me, because after 15 years, I'm sick of being a student.

The problem is that I've already invested 2 years into university, plus an extra year of high school that I used to do the extra courses I needed to get into this university. Leaving now to do a paralegal program means "cutting my losses" on the last 3 years of my life. Obviously it's stupid to continue burning down your house just because you've already burnt down the garage, but still. It's not easy to walk away from what I've been working on for the past three years (with a 10k investment, so far).

Wat do?
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
NightofTheLivingCats
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2013 11:07:59 PM
Personally, I'll be a Paralegal.

If you just WANT to go to the first option, go ahead. If you can take the money issues, do it.

Basically, if you are a Paralegal, dont fvck up. If you get more money, you can return on your "investment", ie your education, much faster.

TL;DR : Poor? Paralegal.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2013 5:00:13 AM
Paralegal is probably the best option, unless you know you want to be a lawyer or have an in with people.

The lawyer market is pretty saturated, so I would look very closely at the market for your particular interest.

I work with a lawyer (yes, at a pizza shop), and it took him two years to get a job, and he currently works for a temp agency doing doc review, which is what paralegals do to my understanding.

So, best course, paralegal, impress your boss, and go back to law school on the company's dime.
My work here is, finally, done.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2013 7:08:39 AM
My old man has a job lined up for me in Australia earning 13,000 Australian dollars a fortnight, LOL.

That's like 200k a year, euros...
InvictusManeo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2013 7:20:58 AM
#FirstWorldProblems

Oh the life of privilege, I don't know how you cope Doctuir.

As far as OP is concerned, you could base your decision on earning potential but perhaps you're casting too small a net. You'll make more money the better you are at something. So if you'd make a better lawyer, be a lawyer. Better paralegal, do that. Best advice I ever received was to pursue a career that would suit your skillset and that you wouldn't hate doing for the rest of your life. Not everyone can land a high-paying job that they love, so I'd say it's a good rule to follow.