Total Posts:66|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Facebook

Cermank
Posts: 3,773
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 11:38:45 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
What's your stance with political/ economic arguments on facebook?

Are there some people you would let be, people you wont argue with? Like a boss/ teachers/ professors/ relatives or something else? Is there a specific reason?
ClassicRobert
Posts: 2,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 11:49:31 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I tend to take it easy on political arguments on facebook because people there don't really like to see politics on their feed, and often times when people post ridiculous things, they just get mad at me for challenging their belief system rather than engaging me on an intellectual level. Twitter, on the other hand...
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
Cermank
Posts: 3,773
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2014 12:03:38 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/4/2014 11:49:31 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
I tend to take it easy on political arguments on facebook because people there don't really like to see politics on their feed, and often times when people post ridiculous things, they just get mad at me for challenging their belief system rather than engaging me on an intellectual level. Twitter, on the other hand...

I never got the hang of twitter.

But I know what you mean. I think I spent a lot of time suger-coating my replies and that takes away from the conversations, a lot. And I have to sugercoat because I know the people on facebook IRL and relationships/ networking > political convictions. I guess there needs to be a balance, I know people who got like, job offers based on their political convictions.

But its just that sometimes, the sheer fallacies...
ClassicRobert
Posts: 2,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2014 12:05:51 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/5/2014 12:03:38 AM, Cermank wrote:
At 1/4/2014 11:49:31 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
I tend to take it easy on political arguments on facebook because people there don't really like to see politics on their feed, and often times when people post ridiculous things, they just get mad at me for challenging their belief system rather than engaging me on an intellectual level. Twitter, on the other hand...

I never got the hang of twitter.

But I know what you mean. I think I spent a lot of time suger-coating my replies and that takes away from the conversations, a lot. And I have to sugercoat because I know the people on facebook IRL and relationships/ networking > political convictions. I guess there needs to be a balance, I know people who got like, job offers based on their political convictions.

But its just that sometimes, the sheer fallacies...

RIGHT?
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
Cermank
Posts: 3,773
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2014 12:15:12 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/5/2014 12:05:51 AM, ClassicRobert wrote:
At 1/5/2014 12:03:38 AM, Cermank wrote:
At 1/4/2014 11:49:31 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
I tend to take it easy on political arguments on facebook because people there don't really like to see politics on their feed, and often times when people post ridiculous things, they just get mad at me for challenging their belief system rather than engaging me on an intellectual level. Twitter, on the other hand...

I never got the hang of twitter.

But I know what you mean. I think I spent a lot of time suger-coating my replies and that takes away from the conversations, a lot. And I have to sugercoat because I know the people on facebook IRL and relationships/ networking > political convictions. I guess there needs to be a balance, I know people who got like, job offers based on their political convictions.

But its just that sometimes, the sheer fallacies...

RIGHT?

"Dude, okay. Seriously. People need to stop criticizing (a political party). These people, the armchair revolutionaries, with their fancy degrees haven't dedicated a day to the nation. Your degrees don't teach you what goes down in the real world. Shut up."

Actual status from my facebook. 21 likes, and 3 comments of 'you tell them'.

Ugh.
ClassicRobert
Posts: 2,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2014 12:18:01 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/5/2014 12:15:12 AM, Cermank wrote:
At 1/5/2014 12:05:51 AM, ClassicRobert wrote:
At 1/5/2014 12:03:38 AM, Cermank wrote:
At 1/4/2014 11:49:31 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
I tend to take it easy on political arguments on facebook because people there don't really like to see politics on their feed, and often times when people post ridiculous things, they just get mad at me for challenging their belief system rather than engaging me on an intellectual level. Twitter, on the other hand...

I never got the hang of twitter.

But I know what you mean. I think I spent a lot of time suger-coating my replies and that takes away from the conversations, a lot. And I have to sugercoat because I know the people on facebook IRL and relationships/ networking > political convictions. I guess there needs to be a balance, I know people who got like, job offers based on their political convictions.

But its just that sometimes, the sheer fallacies...

RIGHT?

"Dude, okay. Seriously. People need to stop criticizing (a political party). These people, the armchair revolutionaries, with their fancy degrees haven't dedicated a day to the nation. Your degrees don't teach you what goes down in the real world. Shut up."

Actual status from my facebook. 21 likes, and 3 comments of 'you tell them'.

Ugh.

See, I have this one friend who just posts upworthy political links. He is picking from one of the most biased sources out there, and he just says stuff like "they have a point tho" and "#Socialism2014."
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
ClassicRobert
Posts: 2,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2014 12:18:44 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/5/2014 12:18:01 AM, ClassicRobert wrote:
At 1/5/2014 12:15:12 AM, Cermank wrote:
At 1/5/2014 12:05:51 AM, ClassicRobert wrote:
At 1/5/2014 12:03:38 AM, Cermank wrote:
At 1/4/2014 11:49:31 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
I tend to take it easy on political arguments on facebook because people there don't really like to see politics on their feed, and often times when people post ridiculous things, they just get mad at me for challenging their belief system rather than engaging me on an intellectual level. Twitter, on the other hand...

I never got the hang of twitter.

But I know what you mean. I think I spent a lot of time suger-coating my replies and that takes away from the conversations, a lot. And I have to sugercoat because I know the people on facebook IRL and relationships/ networking > political convictions. I guess there needs to be a balance, I know people who got like, job offers based on their political convictions.

But its just that sometimes, the sheer fallacies...

RIGHT?

"Dude, okay. Seriously. People need to stop criticizing (a political party). These people, the armchair revolutionaries, with their fancy degrees haven't dedicated a day to the nation. Your degrees don't teach you what goes down in the real world. Shut up."

Actual status from my facebook. 21 likes, and 3 comments of 'you tell them'.

Ugh.

Also, that is painful to read.

See, I have this one friend who just posts upworthy political links. He is picking from one of the most biased sources out there, and he just says stuff like "they have a point tho" and "#Socialism2014."
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
Cermank
Posts: 3,773
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2014 12:28:32 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/5/2014 12:18:01 AM, ClassicRobert wrote:
At 1/5/2014 12:15:12 AM, Cermank wrote:
At 1/5/2014 12:05:51 AM, ClassicRobert wrote:
At 1/5/2014 12:03:38 AM, Cermank wrote:
At 1/4/2014 11:49:31 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
I tend to take it easy on political arguments on facebook because people there don't really like to see politics on their feed, and often times when people post ridiculous things, they just get mad at me for challenging their belief system rather than engaging me on an intellectual level. Twitter, on the other hand...

I never got the hang of twitter.

But I know what you mean. I think I spent a lot of time suger-coating my replies and that takes away from the conversations, a lot. And I have to sugercoat because I know the people on facebook IRL and relationships/ networking > political convictions. I guess there needs to be a balance, I know people who got like, job offers based on their political convictions.

But its just that sometimes, the sheer fallacies...

RIGHT?

"Dude, okay. Seriously. People need to stop criticizing (a political party). These people, the armchair revolutionaries, with their fancy degrees haven't dedicated a day to the nation. Your degrees don't teach you what goes down in the real world. Shut up."

Actual status from my facebook. 21 likes, and 3 comments of 'you tell them'.

Ugh.

See, I have this one friend who just posts upworthy political links. He is picking from one of the most biased sources out there, and he just says stuff like "they have a point tho" and "#Socialism2014."

Hardcore socialists and hardcore libertarians are the worst, in my experience.
xXCryptoXx
Posts: 5,000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2014 1:13:01 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I find that any relatively serious debate/argument/discussion ain't neva worth my time on social networking sites.
Nolite Timere
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2014 1:14:38 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/4/2014 11:38:45 PM, Cermank wrote:
What's your stance with political/ economic arguments on facebook?

I don't make them and ignore them when others make them.


Are there some people you would let be, people you wont argue with? Like a boss/ teachers/ professors/ relatives or something else? Is there a specific reason?

There is no benefit to be gained from the confrontation, only things to lose.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2014 1:20:17 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/4/2014 11:38:45 PM, Cermank wrote:
What's your stance with political/ economic arguments on facebook?

It's a pointless endeavor, since only once in a blue moon will you find someone who will actually discuss something with you.
However, even then, it is not designed for any discussion, because if anyone else posts, it is hard to tell who is talking to whom. Plus, on pages (like a talk show host's page), I have no way of knowing if someone responds to my post, unless I make an original one and someone "replies".

Are there some people you would let be, people you wont argue with? Like a boss/ teachers/ professors/ relatives or something else? Is there a specific reason?

Almost anyone is a waste of time.
No one likes to be challenged, and I have been banned from some pages, others have deleted my comments, and I even lost a "friend" because I disagreed with him on many things, and apparently his friends were b!tching about me to him... because apparently, it's weird to have an acquaintance whom you disagree with things. Also, this guy was an idiot who had a problem because I challenged professionals (because how dare I challenge their authority)
My work here is, finally, done.
ClassicRobert
Posts: 2,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2014 9:30:02 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I guess that's not entirely true. Sometimes I talk politics with DDOers on facebook when they post firsts.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
Cermank
Posts: 3,773
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2014 10:02:19 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/5/2014 1:20:17 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 1/4/2014 11:38:45 PM, Cermank wrote:
What's your stance with political/ economic arguments on facebook?

It's a pointless endeavor, since only once in a blue moon will you find someone who will actually discuss something with you.
However, even then, it is not designed for any discussion, because if anyone else posts, it is hard to tell who is talking to whom. Plus, on pages (like a talk show host's page), I have no way of knowing if someone responds to my post, unless I make an original one and someone "replies".

This is true. I think it's the fact that the 'world' (in a sense) is watching on facebook, which brings out the irrational side of people. I personally don't find the format constricting, I used to troll a lot when I was young on these fb pages. People usually use your name when they are answering you, as far as I remember.

Are there some people you would let be, people you wont argue with? Like a boss/ teachers/ professors/ relatives or something else? Is there a specific reason?

Almost anyone is a waste of time.
No one likes to be challenged, and I have been banned from some pages, others have deleted my comments, and I even lost a "friend" because I disagreed with him on many things, and apparently his friends were b!tching about me to him... because apparently, it's weird to have an acquaintance whom you disagree with things. Also, this guy was an idiot who had a problem because I challenged professionals (because how dare I challenge their authority)

Lol I know how that feels. I lost a friend last year. It was good riddance though. I don't know, I feel I just can't disagree over facebook. I have to try to find a middle ground- it's almost social construct. Even if I know for a fact they are wrong. OR if it's too far out (like sexist stuff, or other hot button topics), I'll drop in a message with a link going 'Yo check it out. I think you'll find it interesting'.

It's interesting how I don't engage with RL people on politics, but don't have same reservations with DDO members on FB. Or people I know through libertarian networks (although these are few and far between). I guess there's something to say about the expectations of the society we live in, and its dichotomy with the kind of society we would want to live in.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2014 11:35:43 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/5/2014 10:02:19 AM, Cermank wrote:
At 1/5/2014 1:20:17 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 1/4/2014 11:38:45 PM, Cermank wrote:
What's your stance with political/ economic arguments on facebook?

It's a pointless endeavor, since only once in a blue moon will you find someone who will actually discuss something with you.
However, even then, it is not designed for any discussion, because if anyone else posts, it is hard to tell who is talking to whom. Plus, on pages (like a talk show host's page), I have no way of knowing if someone responds to my post, unless I make an original one and someone "replies".

This is true. I think it's the fact that the 'world' (in a sense) is watching on facebook, which brings out the irrational side of people. I personally don't find the format constricting, I used to troll a lot when I was young on these fb pages. People usually use your name when they are answering you, as far as I remember.

Zealots of any kind are irrational and don't like to be challenged, IMO.


It's interesting how I don't engage with RL people on politics, but don't have same reservations with DDO members on FB. Or people I know through libertarian networks (although these are few and far between). I guess there's something to say about the expectations of the society we live in, and its dichotomy with the kind of society we would want to live in.

I am not so sure it is a societal thing, although I am certain it is largely the case, especially given the attitudes I see. (How can you be friends with him if you don't agree?)
However, I think FB is more of a circle jerk/pity party/attention whore medium than anything else. As such, I think the view is, I will let the world know my opinion on a subject, and feel free to stroke my ego, but if you're here to challenge me, then go away.
My work here is, finally, done.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2014 12:54:01 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/4/2014 11:38:45 PM, Cermank wrote:
What's your stance with political/ economic arguments on facebook?
Generally wasteful. I happen to discuss on comments pages from e.g., Fox News, and the idiocy is hard to handle.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2014 12:55:06 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
My contact circle isn't filled with intellectuals, but I'm willing to take on anyone if needed. Especially teachers for that matter.
sadolite
Posts: 8,842
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2014 3:25:52 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
What's your stance with political/ economic arguments on facebook?

I discuss politics with people to get them to unfriend me or block me so I don't have to look like the oversensitive puzzy like they do if I don't like them. A sure way to become unfriended
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2014 7:50:47 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/5/2014 12:15:12 AM, Cermank wrote:
At 1/5/2014 12:05:51 AM, ClassicRobert wrote:
At 1/5/2014 12:03:38 AM, Cermank wrote:
At 1/4/2014 11:49:31 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
I tend to take it easy on political arguments on facebook because people there don't really like to see politics on their feed, and often times when people post ridiculous things, they just get mad at me for challenging their belief system rather than engaging me on an intellectual level. Twitter, on the other hand...

I never got the hang of twitter.

But I know what you mean. I think I spent a lot of time suger-coating my replies and that takes away from the conversations, a lot. And I have to sugercoat because I know the people on facebook IRL and relationships/ networking > political convictions. I guess there needs to be a balance, I know people who got like, job offers based on their political convictions.

But its just that sometimes, the sheer fallacies...

RIGHT?

"Dude, okay. Seriously. People need to stop criticizing (a political party). These people, the armchair revolutionaries, with their fancy degrees haven't dedicated a day to the nation. Your degrees don't teach you what goes down in the real world. Shut up."

Actual status from my facebook. 21 likes, and 3 comments of 'you tell them'.

Ugh.

Dat anti-intellectualism.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
InvictusManeo
Posts: 384
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2014 8:23:00 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
My dad posts the most ridiculous bullsh*t on facebook, that I've had to remove him from my news feed to justify a continued relationship with him, to be honest. Facebook is f*cking lame as hell really. It's just a big peacocking popularity contest plagued with selfies and pictures of meals that people eat, accompanied by displays of pride in travelling to exotic locations, rubbing in your exuberant lifestyle to those less fortunate than you stuck in some sh*tty cold environment year round.

Also I am so sick of people sharing 'I f*cking love science' posts.

I do debate people on there, but never my family. I figure it's easier to be less confrontational towards them but, I am not averse to confronting them elsewhere.
R0b1Billion
Posts: 3,733
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2014 6:48:12 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Facebook is for morons.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
sadolite
Posts: 8,842
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2014 10:13:29 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/8/2014 6:48:12 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
Facebook is for morons.

It's an excellent way for family members who live long distances from each other to send and receive pictures and stay in touch.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
R0b1Billion
Posts: 3,733
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2014 11:36:06 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/8/2014 10:13:29 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 1/8/2014 6:48:12 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
Facebook is for morons.

It's an excellent way for family members who live long distances from each other to send and receive pictures and stay in touch.

I disagree completely.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Objectivity
Posts: 1,073
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2014 11:42:42 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/4/2014 11:38:45 PM, Cermank wrote:
What's your stance with political/ economic arguments on facebook?

Are there some people you would let be, people you wont argue with? Like a boss/ teachers/ professors/ relatives or something else? Is there a specific reason?

I am 16, so most of my friends on facebook only post political issues if the general underlying message is "Fu*k the police!111" "gay rights pls" or "legalize pot pls"

also there is the occasionally anti intellectual post
sadolite
Posts: 8,842
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2014 5:25:39 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/8/2014 11:36:06 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 1/8/2014 10:13:29 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 1/8/2014 6:48:12 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
Facebook is for morons.

It's an excellent way for family members who live long distances from each other to send and receive pictures and stay in touch.

I disagree completely.

Huh, Works for me. I am in contact with family tens times as much using Facebook where as before there was Facebook. But I am sure there are other ways that are more efficient if I did some research. But why fix what ain't broke.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
R0b1Billion
Posts: 3,733
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2014 5:51:17 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/9/2014 5:25:39 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 1/8/2014 11:36:06 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 1/8/2014 10:13:29 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 1/8/2014 6:48:12 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
Facebook is for morons.

It's an excellent way for family members who live long distances from each other to send and receive pictures and stay in touch.

I disagree completely.

Huh, Works for me. I am in contact with family tens times as much using Facebook where as before there was Facebook. But I am sure there are other ways that are more efficient if I did some research. But why fix what ain't broke.

What was stopping you from calling or even visiting before facebook? The fact that calling is "too inconvenient," despite the fact that audible conversation is much more intimate and communicative than facebooking, is a testament only to the both of you not wanting to put in the effort.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Cermank
Posts: 3,773
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2014 6:28:54 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/9/2014 5:51:17 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 1/9/2014 5:25:39 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 1/8/2014 11:36:06 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 1/8/2014 10:13:29 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 1/8/2014 6:48:12 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
Facebook is for morons.

It's an excellent way for family members who live long distances from each other to send and receive pictures and stay in touch.

I disagree completely.

Huh, Works for me. I am in contact with family tens times as much using Facebook where as before there was Facebook. But I am sure there are other ways that are more efficient if I did some research. But why fix what ain't broke.

What was stopping you from calling or even visiting before facebook? The fact that calling is "too inconvenient," despite the fact that audible conversation is much more intimate and communicative than facebooking, is a testament only to the both of you not wanting to put in the effort.

Why does it matter if the end result is more communication and intimacy? How does the 'intention' or the level of affection pre facebook affect the result?
R0b1Billion
Posts: 3,733
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2014 6:53:42 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/9/2014 6:28:54 PM, Cermank wrote:
At 1/9/2014 5:51:17 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 1/9/2014 5:25:39 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 1/8/2014 11:36:06 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 1/8/2014 10:13:29 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 1/8/2014 6:48:12 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
Facebook is for morons.

It's an excellent way for family members who live long distances from each other to send and receive pictures and stay in touch.

I disagree completely.

Huh, Works for me. I am in contact with family tens times as much using Facebook where as before there was Facebook. But I am sure there are other ways that are more efficient if I did some research. But why fix what ain't broke.

What was stopping you from calling or even visiting before facebook? The fact that calling is "too inconvenient," despite the fact that audible conversation is much more intimate and communicative than facebooking, is a testament only to the both of you not wanting to put in the effort.

Why does it matter if the end result is more communication and intimacy? How does the 'intention' or the level of affection pre facebook affect the result?

An excellent interrogative, my dear lady. You see, Facebook has the effect of replacing the interactions we normally engage in. As our goal of convenience pushes forward, our level of intimacy scales backward.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
sadolite
Posts: 8,842
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2014 8:26:30 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/9/2014 5:51:17 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 1/9/2014 5:25:39 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 1/8/2014 11:36:06 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 1/8/2014 10:13:29 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 1/8/2014 6:48:12 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
Facebook is for morons.

It's an excellent way for family members who live long distances from each other to send and receive pictures and stay in touch.

I disagree completely.

Huh, Works for me. I am in contact with family tens times as much using Facebook where as before there was Facebook. But I am sure there are other ways that are more efficient if I did some research. But why fix what ain't broke.

What was stopping you from calling or even visiting before facebook? The fact that calling is "too inconvenient," despite the fact that audible conversation is much more intimate and communicative than facebooking, is a testament only to the both of you not wanting to put in the effort.

Have you ever heard of time zones. Why are you being such a jerk. This crap that I don't want to make an effort. Facebook works. I don't care that you don't like it. It serves all my needs to stay in touch more efficiently and more often.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
R0b1Billion
Posts: 3,733
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2014 9:17:30 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/9/2014 8:26:30 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 1/9/2014 5:51:17 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 1/9/2014 5:25:39 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 1/8/2014 11:36:06 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 1/8/2014 10:13:29 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 1/8/2014 6:48:12 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
Facebook is for morons.

It's an excellent way for family members who live long distances from each other to send and receive pictures and stay in touch.

I disagree completely.

Huh, Works for me. I am in contact with family tens times as much using Facebook where as before there was Facebook. But I am sure there are other ways that are more efficient if I did some research. But why fix what ain't broke.

What was stopping you from calling or even visiting before facebook? The fact that calling is "too inconvenient," despite the fact that audible conversation is much more intimate and communicative than facebooking, is a testament only to the both of you not wanting to put in the effort.

Have you ever heard of time zones. Why are you being such a jerk. This crap that I don't want to make an effort. Facebook works. I don't care that you don't like it. It serves all my needs to stay in touch more efficiently and more often.

Admit it. Part of you agrees with me. Say it!
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
sadolite
Posts: 8,842
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2014 9:20:46 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/9/2014 9:17:30 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 1/9/2014 8:26:30 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 1/9/2014 5:51:17 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 1/9/2014 5:25:39 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 1/8/2014 11:36:06 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 1/8/2014 10:13:29 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 1/8/2014 6:48:12 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
Facebook is for morons.

It's an excellent way for family members who live long distances from each other to send and receive pictures and stay in touch.

I disagree completely.

Huh, Works for me. I am in contact with family tens times as much using Facebook where as before there was Facebook. But I am sure there are other ways that are more efficient if I did some research. But why fix what ain't broke.

What was stopping you from calling or even visiting before facebook? The fact that calling is "too inconvenient," despite the fact that audible conversation is much more intimate and communicative than facebooking, is a testament only to the both of you not wanting to put in the effort.

Have you ever heard of time zones. Why are you being such a jerk. This crap that I don't want to make an effort. Facebook works. I don't care that you don't like it. It serves all my needs to stay in touch more efficiently and more often.

Admit it. Part of you agrees with me. Say it!

Ok maybe my sphincter agrees a little bit.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%