Jump to topic:

Do You Want Kids *

inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 11:19:32 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Hello there. How are you all doing today. I just wanted to know how many of you are, or plan to get married someday. Lets see a show of hands now. Okay.
Well how many of you want to have kids ?
Oh my...............So you know that it will be a challenge for you especially in this day and age. How many do you want by the way. Tell us your ideas for the present, or future about this issue. Children should be taught and trained well by any means.
Are you up for the job. =)
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 11:47:10 AM
At 1/21/2014 11:19:32 AM, inferno wrote:
Hello there. How are you all doing today. I just wanted to know how many of you are, or plan to get married someday. Lets see a show of hands now. Okay.
Oh my...............So you know that it will be a challenge for you especially in this day and age. How many do you want by the way. Tell us your ideas for the present, or future about this issue. Children should be taught and trained well by any means.

Hi there! I'm very well, thank you. How are you?

No, I do not plan to get married, and I do not want to have any children. This world is too cruel a place for children.

So I guess I'm that one person in your class with my hand down.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 11:50:57 AM
At 1/21/2014 11:47:10 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Hi there! I'm very well, thank you. How are you?

No, I do not plan to get married, and I do not want to have any children. This world is too cruel a place for children.

So I guess I'm that one person in your class with my hand down.

What do you mean too cruel a place for children ?

Children exist in the modern day world and lead normal lives daily.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 12:00:23 PM

Right now I don't want kids, and I don't think I'll want kids if I ever do get married, but I can't even think about the prospect of being married right now. I don't know if I would be a good father, and while I'd hope that I would, I know beyond all doubt that I couldn't do it alone. Even still, I'm not in a position right now to know the answer to that question because I'm sure that my priorities in my 30s will differ tremendously from my priorities now.
Tsar of DDO
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 12:01:39 PM
At 1/21/2014 12:00:23 PM, YYW wrote:

Right now I don't want kids, and I don't think I'll want kids if I ever do get married, but I can't even think about the prospect of being married right now. I don't know if I would be a good father, and while I'd hope that I would, I know beyond all doubt that I couldn't do it alone. Even still, I'm not in a position right now to know the answer to that question because I'm sure that my priorities in my 30s will differ tremendously from my priorities now.

Does you being a homosexual take away your confidence or hope in being a dad.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 12:14:53 PM
At 1/21/2014 12:01:39 PM, inferno wrote:

Not really. It's more because I know that my patients have definite limits, I can be more emotionally withdrawn than is probably healthy for a parent and I'm probably not the best role model -now, at least.

I know that if I were to marry the guy I'm in love with, that he would be a great dad -and would balance out my (many) flaws. But I also know that kids take time, and I want a stable career and a sizable "nest egg" (and by nest egg, I mean stock portfolio and real estate holdings) before I take on the expense of raising kids.

The reason is because I think about how much money I costed my parents... whether it's medical bills, education, extra curricular activities, traveling, clothes, etc. kids are really, really expensive and I wouldn't want to have one if I didn't have guaranteed assurance that all of those things could be taken care of.

Even still, though... I think being married is the thing that needs to come before any conversation about kids, and I'm definitely not even to that point now.
Tsar of DDO
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 12:16:19 PM
Yes I definitely do at some point
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 12:16:31 PM
At 1/21/2014 12:14:53 PM, YYW wrote:
At 1/21/2014 12:01:39 PM, inferno wrote:

Not really. It's more because I know that my patients have definite limits, I can be more emotionally withdrawn than is probably healthy for a parent and I'm probably not the best role model -now, at least.

I know that if I were to marry the guy I'm in love with, that he would be a great dad -and would balance out my (many) flaws. But I also know that kids take time, and I want a stable career and a sizable "nest egg" (and by nest egg, I mean stock portfolio and real estate holdings) before I take on the expense of raising kids.

The reason is because I think about how much money I costed my parents... whether it's medical bills, education, extra curricular activities, traveling, clothes, etc. kids are really, really expensive and I wouldn't want to have one if I didn't have guaranteed assurance that all of those things could be taken care of.

Even still, though... I think being married is the thing that needs to come before any conversation about kids, and I'm definitely not even to that point now.

I see.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 12:18:28 PM
At 1/21/2014 12:16:19 PM, thett3 wrote:

I actually think you'd probably be a good dad, too. I'd just be interested to see who your wife would be lol
Tsar of DDO
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 12:28:04 PM
Yes I definitely do at some point.

Do you believe you will be a better mother than your own.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 12:28:53 PM
At 1/21/2014 12:18:28 PM, YYW wrote:

I actually think you'd probably be a good dad, too. I'd just be interested to see who your wife would be lol

Hes gonna marry Royalpaladin. =)
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 12:49:31 PM

I don't really know. At the moment, I'm not interested at all in romance, but that might change as I get older...

Even if I do get married, I wouldn't want kids because it would be too much of a responsibility, especially when the kids get older and you have to keep them away from all the bad stuff of society. When they're younger, all parenting takes is a lot of patience and love.

At the moment, no I'm not ready at all, but maybe some day I'll grow up and actually be responsible enough to handle that sort of burden...
Df0512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 1:21:08 PM
I have a 4 year old and 3 month old. Both boys. Its a lot of work, no doubt. And if you can wait, do so. Kids will teach you patience but you have to already have patience as well. Because it will be tried, from day 1. But the pay off, when you come home from work and they all ecstatic to see you for no reason what so ever or making your baby laugh for the first time, is priceless. But I'm done I think.
tylergraham95
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 1:33:38 PM
I definitely want to have kids once I am much older (around 35). I honestly want to have upwards of 10 children. I'm not sure why.
"we dig" - Jeanette Runquist (1943 - 2015)
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 1:50:45 PM

I actually think you'd probably be a good dad, too.

Wow I appreciate that a lot. To me, that's one of the highest compliments you can pay a person. I have some of the same worries as you do, especially that I may be too emotionally aloof for a child and I worry about passing on some specific genes like my naturally pessimistic/depressive nature but I think it's almost certain that I'll have children one day. My father told me he felt similar at my age--a nagging urge to start a family.

I'd just be interested to see who your wife would be lol

I'll shoot you a pm on that one later...
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 2:07:15 PM
Yes.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 2:40:17 PM
At 1/21/2014 1:50:45 PM, thett3 wrote:

Wow I appreciate that a lot. To me, that's one of the highest compliments you can pay a person. I have some of the same worries as you do, especially that I may be too emotionally aloof for a child and I worry about passing on some specific genes like my naturally pessimistic/depressive nature but I think it's almost certain that I'll have children one day. My father told me he felt similar at my age--a nagging urge to start a family.

Pessimistic and depressed. Sounds like you need some spiritual healing my friend. And nourishment too.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 2:43:14 PM
At 1/21/2014 2:40:17 PM, inferno wrote:

Pessimistic and depressed. Sounds like you need some spiritual healing my friend. And nourishment too.

Yeah, probably.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 3:21:14 PM

Wow I appreciate that a lot. To me, that's one of the highest compliments you can pay a person.

It's true :)

I have some of the same worries as you do, especially that I may be too emotionally aloof for a child and I worry about passing on some specific genes like my naturally pessimistic/depressive nature but I think it's almost certain that I'll have children one day. My father told me he felt similar at my age--a nagging urge to start a family.

You don't strike me as emotionally aloof at all, actually.

I'll be waiting for it, lol
Tsar of DDO
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 3:32:51 PM
At 1/21/2014 2:43:14 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 1/21/2014 2:40:17 PM, inferno wrote:

Yeah, probably.

Make this your goal for the new year. It will help you in ways that you cannot believe.
Not saying you have to be religious or anything like that Thett.
But just think outside the box and expand your horizons.
Youll be glad you did.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 3:36:43 PM
Yes, definitely.

If and when I get married, I will want to have kids. I definitely want more than two, but without endangering my financial stability. Probably, anyone I do marry will have to agree up front to have kids.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 4:04:44 PM
At 1/21/2014 3:36:43 PM, bsh1 wrote:
Yes, definitely.

If and when I get married, I will want to have kids. I definitely want more than two, but without endangering my financial stability. Probably, anyone I do marry will have to agree up front to have kids.

You made a valid point there.
Wanting to have kids with someone who wants them also.
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 4:12:50 PM

It may be improper for me to respond to this question, since I was married until a year ago and have three kids, but I thought I would weigh-in anyway. :) All my life the only dream I ever had was to get married and raise a family. I even passed-up on an appoint to West Point Military Academy because I thought it would interfere with that dream. Eventually I did gain the life I wanted, and it was wonderful. I even bought-out the family business, and it seemed everything was going my way. Now I have a 24-yr-old son who was ruined by the divorce and two daughters who both turned-out to be exceedingly intelligent angels. Part of me says that if I changed anything in my past they would never exist, but even in spite of that I can't help but wish that I had the choices to make all over again. I waited until I was 24 to marry, and 27 to have my first child. I tried to do everything right. But in the end it just isn't a proper goal in and of itself. The most important thing anyone can do is to accomplish something which will help them develop a love for their self. Then they can think about sharing that life with somebody else. I get to see my youngest daughter every two weeks, and soon she'll be 18. I've been separated from her for 5 years, and it seems like it's been nothing but a long period of continuous goodbyes for me. I would like to marry again and have more children, but I know better. I think marriage is a good thing, but I really hope that anyone contemplating it will treat it as the serious decision it is.
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 4:18:46 PM

Hey! I'm doing better than deserved! Thanks for asking as I hope all is well with you too dear friend! *raises hand* yes, I do plan to get married one day (God willing)!
I'd only want 2, but if I have more so be it and I'll still be thankful! Yes, I am def up for the job when the time comes! I will be quite prepared! :)
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 4:20:18 PM
At 1/21/2014 4:12:50 PM, Idealist wrote:

It may be improper for me to respond to this question, since I was married until a year ago and have three kids, but I thought I would weigh-in anyway. :) All my life the only dream I ever had was to get married and raise a family. I even passed-up on an appoint to West Point Military Academy because I thought it would interfere with that dream. Eventually I did gain the life I wanted, and it was wonderful. I even bought-out the family business, and it seemed everything was going my way. Now I have a 24-yr-old son who was ruined by the divorce and two daughters who both turned-out to be exceedingly intelligent angels. Part of me says that if I changed anything in my past they would never exist, but even in spite of that I can't help but wish that I had the choices to make all over again. I waited until I was 24 to marry, and 27 to have my first child. I tried to do everything right. But in the end it just isn't a proper goal in and of itself. The most important thing anyone can do is to accomplish something which will help them develop a love for their self. Then they can think about sharing that life with somebody else. I get to see my youngest daughter every two weeks, and soon she'll be 18. I've been separated from her for 5 years, and it seems like it's been nothing but a long period of continuous goodbyes for me. I would like to marry again and have more children, but I know better. I think marriage is a good thing, but I really hope that anyone contemplating it will treat it as the serious decision it is.

We all make mistakes. But the best things is that you try and no logical person can blame you for doing that.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 5:12:28 PM
Having a child is almost never a choice.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 5:31:46 PM
Perhaps. That's really all I feel comfortable saying. There are too many other things still on the path before that would even become a possibility. There's finishing my education, settling into a career, and finding a partner I'd be willing to share such a responsibility (and indeed a life) with. So, for the moment, all I can say is perhaps.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 5:40:21 PM
Baby names. Go.
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 5:40:45 PM
I had a cat briefly and named it Baudrillard. I'd make an awesome dad.