Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2014 1:50:15 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
in apartments.

Not sure where this thread really goes.... (Econ + Personal) lol
Anyway.

I live with four other guys in an apartment off campus and we all go to the same college. How should we expect to share expenses in an apartment? In particular, is it fair to have to share the expenses on products that you will not be using? If I have to pay $5 (5 dollars per person meaning $25 worth of products) on a share of 5 different items, let's say 1 of which I will actually use, is it fair for me to have to pay the $5 just so I use one product (when $5 meant consuming 5 different products)? This implies that i'll be consuming products at a higher price... After all, the benefit of sharing expenses on items is so that each person can benefit from a lowered price on a bundle of goods.

Also, if some roommates come home with a $50 public utility product (like a rug to keep shoes on at the entrance) without other members' consent, is it normal for those members to have to pay for the item when they didn't ask for it or were told about it?
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2014 6:21:44 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/4/2014 1:50:15 PM, ben2974 wrote:
in apartments.

Not sure where this thread really goes.... (Econ + Personal) lol
Anyway.

I live with four other guys in an apartment off campus and we all go to the same college. How should we expect to share expenses in an apartment? In particular, is it fair to have to share the expenses on products that you will not be using? If I have to pay $5 (5 dollars per person meaning $25 worth of products) on a share of 5 different items, let's say 1 of which I will actually use, is it fair for me to have to pay the $5 just so I use one product (when $5 meant consuming 5 different products)? This implies that i'll be consuming products at a higher price... After all, the benefit of sharing expenses on items is so that each person can benefit from a lowered price on a bundle of goods.

In your example, will anyone else be paying $5? If not, then I don't see the problem.

Also, if some roommates come home with a $50 public utility product (like a rug to keep shoes on at the entrance) without other members' consent, is it normal for those members to have to pay for the item when they didn't ask for it or were told about it?

This should be discussed and agreed upon before hand if public utility items will be agreed upon or not.

--
Roommates suck to have, and there will always be problems.
For example, should a roommate's girlfriend eat your communal food, or use your electricity? Is it fair that she increases the cost for you, but not him?

How is food split?
Do you have any private space, like your own room?
If so, I would recommend buying a mini-fridge and buy your own food, or portion collective food for your share. Also, put a lock on your door, if you have your own room.

Good luck, because you will need it.
I would try to anticipate any issues and come to an agreement on how things will be approached.
My work here is, finally, done.