Total Posts:31|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Most engaging reads?

Noumena
Posts: 6,047
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2014 12:52:23 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Post a list or just one book which you take to be the most enjoyable, thought provoking, or engaging read (so far).
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2014 12:33:35 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Bushcraft by Richard Graves
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Noumena
Posts: 6,047
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2014 3:32:54 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/8/2014 12:33:35 AM, philochristos wrote:
Bushcraft by Richard Graves

What's it about?
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
Noumena
Posts: 6,047
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2014 3:33:58 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/8/2014 4:29:51 AM, YYW wrote:
Cloud Atlas
The Brothers Karamazov

Why Brothers? I think I remember you mentioning it before but I can't be sure.

...and I guess there are others.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2014 3:51:47 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/8/2014 3:33:58 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 2/8/2014 4:29:51 AM, YYW wrote:
Cloud Atlas
The Brothers Karamazov

Why Brothers? I think I remember you mentioning it before but I can't be sure.

Because it's been touted by those of merit, duh. And then he throws in Cloud Atlas on top of it for the gay scene - almost amusing. And a large part of it is in trying to control my characterization of him, of course: appeal to authority, petty provocation, or whatever. The characters in The Brothers Karamazov are fascinating, though.

...and I guess there are others.

I'd say The Contortionist's Handbook. That's sensible psychology for you, as dark as it is.
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2014 4:08:08 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/8/2014 3:32:54 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 2/8/2014 12:33:35 AM, philochristos wrote:
Bushcraft by Richard Graves

What's it about?

It's about wilderness surviving in Australia. It's got stuff on how to make natural cordage and rope, how to make shelter, how to find food, and all kinds of groovy things.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Noumena
Posts: 6,047
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2014 4:20:24 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/8/2014 4:08:08 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 2/8/2014 3:32:54 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 2/8/2014 12:33:35 AM, philochristos wrote:
Bushcraft by Richard Graves

What's it about?

It's about wilderness surviving in Australia. It's got stuff on how to make natural cordage and rope, how to make shelter, how to find food, and all kinds of groovy things.

Ha ha I figured it would be (something like) that or something theological.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
Noumena
Posts: 6,047
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2014 4:21:07 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/8/2014 3:51:47 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
At 2/8/2014 3:33:58 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 2/8/2014 4:29:51 AM, YYW wrote:
Cloud Atlas
The Brothers Karamazov

Why Brothers? I think I remember you mentioning it before but I can't be sure.

Because it's been touted by those of merit, duh. And then he throws in Cloud Atlas on top of it for the gay scene - almost amusing. And a large part of it is in trying to control my characterization of him, of course: appeal to authority, petty provocation, or whatever. The characters in The Brothers Karamazov are fascinating, though.

...and I guess there are others.

I'd say The Contortionist's Handbook. That's sensible psychology for you, as dark as it is.

Has anyone ever told you yer kinda boring?
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2014 4:29:48 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/8/2014 4:21:07 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 2/8/2014 3:51:47 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
At 2/8/2014 3:33:58 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 2/8/2014 4:29:51 AM, YYW wrote:
Cloud Atlas
The Brothers Karamazov

Why Brothers? I think I remember you mentioning it before but I can't be sure.

Because it's been touted by those of merit, duh. And then he throws in Cloud Atlas on top of it for the gay scene - almost amusing. And a large part of it is in trying to control my characterization of him, of course: appeal to authority, petty provocation, or whatever. The characters in The Brothers Karamazov are fascinating, though.

...and I guess there are others.

I'd say The Contortionist's Handbook. That's sensible psychology for you, as dark as it is.

Has anyone ever told you yer kinda boring?

Yes, you're taking up YYW's defiance, because you and he are good ol' pals. It's a shame to see you lying to yourself, though.
Noumena
Posts: 6,047
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2014 4:33:18 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/8/2014 4:29:48 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
At 2/8/2014 4:21:07 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 2/8/2014 3:51:47 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
At 2/8/2014 3:33:58 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 2/8/2014 4:29:51 AM, YYW wrote:
Cloud Atlas
The Brothers Karamazov

Why Brothers? I think I remember you mentioning it before but I can't be sure.

Because it's been touted by those of merit, duh. And then he throws in Cloud Atlas on top of it for the gay scene - almost amusing. And a large part of it is in trying to control my characterization of him, of course: appeal to authority, petty provocation, or whatever. The characters in The Brothers Karamazov are fascinating, though.

...and I guess there are others.

I'd say The Contortionist's Handbook. That's sensible psychology for you, as dark as it is.

Has anyone ever told you yer kinda boring?

Yes, you're taking up YYW's defiance, because you and he are good ol' pals. It's a shame to see you lying to yourself, though.

I always thought you and I were good ol' pals, el-badgero.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2014 4:52:43 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/8/2014 4:33:18 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 2/8/2014 4:29:48 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
At 2/8/2014 4:21:07 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 2/8/2014 3:51:47 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
At 2/8/2014 3:33:58 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 2/8/2014 4:29:51 AM, YYW wrote:
Cloud Atlas
The Brothers Karamazov

Why Brothers? I think I remember you mentioning it before but I can't be sure.

Because it's been touted by those of merit, duh. And then he throws in Cloud Atlas on top of it for the gay scene - almost amusing. And a large part of it is in trying to control my characterization of him, of course: appeal to authority, petty provocation, or whatever. The characters in The Brothers Karamazov are fascinating, though.

...and I guess there are others.

I'd say The Contortionist's Handbook. That's sensible psychology for you, as dark as it is.

Has anyone ever told you yer kinda boring?

Yes, you're taking up YYW's defiance, because you and he are good ol' pals. It's a shame to see you lying to yourself, though.

I always thought you and I were good ol' pals, el-badgero.

Well, I think there's a mutual respect between us, but you know what they say about birds of a feather sticking together. I reprimanded a black girl on another site before, because she kept making comments about men acting creepy towards her, threatening rape and such. Now, it was bullsh*t, of course - more projection/justification than anything else - and so she took the scolding and reformed. Her black female friend, however, was rather displeased - who, even in hearing the logic behind it, was not witness to it, and so did not share the same capacity for reform, but was emotionally charged in the same way her friend was and instead what I'd done had only added to it. It was a pity, really. I'd rather liked her ;D I mean, I only tell the truth...
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2014 5:25:38 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I mean, I guess you might value some dude filling you up with sh*t over the internet, and that's your prerogative, sure. It's just a shame to see intelligence go to waste like that, I guess. YYW's response was fascinating in its simply being, in my opinion; let alone the dressings of friendship and camaraderie, which are, if truth be told, what is really and truly boring, childish and animal.

Actually, Beyond Good and Evil was brilliant for its insight. There's a passage about the independent thinker in there, too, which is relevant here. I suppose it is nice to have something to hang your hat on, though; which Nietzsche doesn't provide. Still, plain ol' bullsh*t is hardly an answer there. Can anyone verify his having tried to commit suicide by jumping in front of a horse for me, by the way? I heard it from a philosophy student once, but haven't been able to find anything about it otherwise.
Noumena
Posts: 6,047
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2014 5:49:55 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/8/2014 4:52:43 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
At 2/8/2014 4:33:18 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 2/8/2014 4:29:48 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
At 2/8/2014 4:21:07 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 2/8/2014 3:51:47 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
At 2/8/2014 3:33:58 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 2/8/2014 4:29:51 AM, YYW wrote:
Cloud Atlas
The Brothers Karamazov

Why Brothers? I think I remember you mentioning it before but I can't be sure.

Because it's been touted by those of merit, duh. And then he throws in Cloud Atlas on top of it for the gay scene - almost amusing. And a large part of it is in trying to control my characterization of him, of course: appeal to authority, petty provocation, or whatever. The characters in The Brothers Karamazov are fascinating, though.

...and I guess there are others.

I'd say The Contortionist's Handbook. That's sensible psychology for you, as dark as it is.

Has anyone ever told you yer kinda boring?

Yes, you're taking up YYW's defiance, because you and he are good ol' pals. It's a shame to see you lying to yourself, though.

I always thought you and I were good ol' pals, el-badgero.

Well, I think there's a mutual respect between us, but you know what they say about birds of a feather sticking together. I reprimanded a black girl on another site before, because she kept making comments about men acting creepy towards her, threatening rape and such. Now, it was bullsh*t, of course - more projection/justification than anything else - and so she took the scolding and reformed. Her black female friend, however, was rather displeased - who, even in hearing the logic behind it, was not witness to it, and so did not share the same capacity for reform, but was emotionally charged in the same way her friend was and instead what I'd done had only added to it. It was a pity, really. I'd rather liked her ;D I mean, I only tell the truth...

What's relevant about the fact that she was black? Do you not de a lot of black people in the UK?
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
Noumena
Posts: 6,047
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2014 6:37:30 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/8/2014 5:51:36 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Wtf I am Irish motherf*cker lol. Oh shiit, u crafty devil!!! What do u think da relevence is

Do black people scare you, badger?
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2014 7:05:57 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/8/2014 6:37:30 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 2/8/2014 5:51:36 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Wtf I am Irish motherf*cker lol. Oh shiit, u crafty devil!!! What do u think da relevence is

Do black people scare you, badger?

You know in the Garden of Eden how it was only one man and one woman? That's an interesting tidbit on psychology, actually; people disliking there being others besides them, as those others take from their importance. It's like how children will get po'd about new siblings being introduced, basically. Again, fascinating book, that Bible; utilising the unrationalised like it does. I'm not retarded like that, though; no.
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2014 7:20:04 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
There's an incredible power to getting people to imagine things, of which most aren't aware. It's that the imagination becomes reality, basically. And then in evoking the imagination of the Garden of Eden, for example, you're actually changing the person to suit his or her imagined environment, lowering their defenses against others and allowing them a feeling of serenity within this imagined realm. This, then, is the allure, an enticement to believe without presenting an argument but an actual being which is preferable to the one in which you currently reside. It really is fascinating manipulation, completely skirting the rational, putting "argument" instead to your animal brain, which is actually rational in its own right, but only in terms of the is rather than the could be.
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2014 7:25:59 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/8/2014 7:20:04 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
There's an incredible power to getting people to imagine things, of which most aren't aware. It's that the imagination becomes reality, basically. And then in evoking the imagination of the Garden of Eden, for example, you're actually changing the person to suit his or her imagined environment, lowering their defenses against others and allowing them a feeling of serenity within this imagined realm. This, then, is the allure, an enticement to believe without presenting an argument but an actual being which is preferable to the one in which you currently reside. It really is fascinating manipulation, completely skirting the rational, putting "argument" instead to your animal brain, which is actually rational in its own right, but only in terms of the is rather than the could be.

Basically, this (as regards the animal brain being its own sort of rational as regards the is):
thett3
Posts: 14,341
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2014 10:40:57 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Take a guess Spinko, take a guess
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
YYW
Posts: 36,282
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2014 12:06:50 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/8/2014 3:51:47 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
At 2/8/2014 3:33:58 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 2/8/2014 4:29:51 AM, YYW wrote:
Cloud Atlas
The Brothers Karamazov

Why Brothers? I think I remember you mentioning it before but I can't be sure.

Because it's been touted by those of merit, duh. And then he throws in Cloud Atlas on top of it for the gay scene - almost amusing. And a large part of it is in trying to control my characterization of him, of course: appeal to authority, petty provocation, or whatever. The characters in The Brothers Karamazov are fascinating, though.

...and I guess there are others.

I'd say The Contortionist's Handbook. That's sensible psychology for you, as dark as it is.

You know what I don't understand? That's not a rhetorical question, and you're such a goddamn troglodyte that it's inconceivable that you could even hope to guess the right answer -despite the expansiveness of our prior conversations. So, I'll answer the question.

I don't understand why you still talk to me, about me, or reference me in any way. No one on this site respects your opinion, and even if they do, they hold others' in higher regard because they know that there is nothing of genuine value you have to offer. You say you're on here to "fvck with people" -but the irony is that you're more frequently than not the one being fvcked with.

Every time you respond to me, you whine about me, you complain about me -I have won. The reason is because the very fact that you've done that is enough to indicate to me and everyone in this forum that my influence over you is so great that you'll go out of your way to start something with me.

On the other hand, I think that you also really just want interaction. In consequence, for the same reason that an unruly child misbehaves when he's ignored by his parents, in desperation for their acknowledgement -for any sign of affection, good or bad- the child acts out. I think there's a similar phenomenon between you and DDO, and, coincidentally enough, that trend's cause is located in your own parental "deficiencies." I'm reluctant to just casually say "mommy and daddy issues" because to say "issues" would imply, at least on some level, that there was enough interaction for you to feel like they hadn't emotionally shunned you. So, your "issues" are only "issues" insofar as your problems are the result of insufficient affection; the consequent of a home environment devoid of love, stability and grounding. Sure, you love your mom... but only because you're afraid that if you ever said anything else, that she would stop loving you.

My point in all of this is that I've tried to make peace with you before, and get you to either interact with me amicably or to fvck the hell off. I'm fine with either. I'm also fine with you continuing to make these petulant little remarks, because they mean nothing. I actually delight in the knowledge that you feel them to be necessary, and am similarly amused by the fact that you think anyone other than you gives a sh!t about what you have to say.

It's the kind of thing I chuckle about when reading this... but w/e. The pleasure I take in your unintended self deprication is, nevertheless, fleeting.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Posts: 36,282
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2014 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/9/2014 12:07:51 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
tl;dr lmao

w/e

But by all means, remember the last time we talked -when Ore_Ele intervened. Remember how that felt. Remember that every time you talk to me, I have already won.

It's the moment when the trolls are trolled and they don't even realize that they've been trolled.
Tsar of DDO
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2014 12:58:04 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
lmao, I remember you awkwardly probing Ore_Ele afterwards, more like. We made up, then, by the way. Remember what I said about how anyone with intelligence had lost respect for you in that thread? Anyway, enjoy!
Noumena
Posts: 6,047
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2014 2:08:45 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/8/2014 10:40:57 PM, thett3 wrote:
Take a guess Spinko, take a guess

F'cking Hoppe. Like I really don't get how HABERMAS taught this guy. Habermas the critical theorist. Habermas the Marxist. Habermas the not-a-fccking-conservative-anarcho-capitalist. You've ruined my night you capitalist scum.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2014 3:47:19 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I reread 1984 over the last few days and apparently I've been trying to get over that book for some time now. I did it, though. I beat the book.
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2014 3:50:37 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Mr. Charrington is Julia's grandfather - awh, that would be so cute! NOPE, THOUGHPOLICE HAHAHA. "Oh, hello dearie. I could be your mother," says the fat disgusting alcoholic lady to Winston after he's been landed in the Ministry of Love. OH SHlT LOL