genetic engineering suggestions

cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 8:22:05 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
can you guys give me suggestions for a genetic engineering project i have to do
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
Jack212
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2014 6:43:33 PM
At 2/10/2014 8:22:05 AM, cybertron1998 wrote:

Take an adult control mouse and knock out gene p23 throughout its system. p23 knockouts have demonstrated the ability to regenerate, according to studies done by the Wistar Institute. However, doing this in an adult as opposed to an embryo is supposed to be really difficult.

When you've published your results, can you link me to your findings? I'm studying genetics too.
ADreamOfLiberty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2014 7:42:28 PM
At 2/12/2014 6:43:33 PM, Jack212 wrote:

However, doing this in an adult as opposed to an embryo is supposed to be really difficult.

I would think it would be impossible, you would need a genetically engineered virus to do it wouldn't you?
LOL, yeah, it's pretty amazing how they think they can "reason" with you. - Sidewalker, speaking of advocates for sexual deviancy.

So, my advice, Liberty, is to go somewhere else. Leave, and never come back. - YYW

And that's what I did. Contact me at http://www.edeb8.com... by the same user name if you have anything you'd like to say.
Jack212
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2014 6:19:01 PM
At 2/12/2014 7:42:28 PM, ADreamOfLiberty wrote:

However, doing this in an adult as opposed to an embryo is supposed to be really difficult.

I would think it would be impossible, you would need a genetically engineered virus to do it wouldn't you?

You could use a virus to inject the DNA into the cell. You could also use gold nanobullets to punch through the membrane and carry the DNA in. You could take out some cells, revert them to stem cell state, modify them, grow them and gradually replace existing adult cells with the modified stem cells (I've never read of this one anywhere, so don't try it at home unless you know your stuff).

There are many ways to modify adult organisms, and all face the same problem: adults have a lot more cells than embryos.
ADreamOfLiberty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2014 6:21:20 PM
At 2/13/2014 6:19:01 PM, Jack212 wrote:

You could use a virus to inject the DNA into the cell. You could also use gold nanobullets to punch through the membrane and carry the DNA in. You could take out some cells, revert them to stem cell state, modify them, grow them and gradually replace existing adult cells with the modified stem cells (I've never read of this one anywhere, so don't try it at home unless you know your stuff).

There are many ways to modify adult organisms, and all face the same problem: adults have a lot more cells than embryos.

You can't shoot gold nano-bullets into a billion cells (I know that is an underestimate in most cases), and the majority of functional tissues do not regenerate from stem cells in the adult phase.
LOL, yeah, it's pretty amazing how they think they can "reason" with you. - Sidewalker, speaking of advocates for sexual deviancy.

So, my advice, Liberty, is to go somewhere else. Leave, and never come back. - YYW

And that's what I did. Contact me at http://www.edeb8.com... by the same user name if you have anything you'd like to say.
Jack212
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2014 6:26:35 PM
At 2/13/2014 6:21:20 PM, ADreamOfLiberty wrote:
At 2/13/2014 6:19:01 PM, Jack212 wrote:

You can't shoot gold nano-bullets into a billion cells (I know that is an underestimate in most cases), and the majority of functional tissues do not regenerate from stem cells in the adult phase.

Like I said, the billions/trillions of cells is the main problem.

There are ways to turn adult cells back into stem cells, and use those stem cells to regenerate damaged tissue. I don't know the specifics, which is why I was asking.