Jump to topic:

Wanna leave a legacy?

GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2014 9:13:00 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
How would you wanna b remembered? What kinda person would you want people to remember you as?

Me, I'd want people to remember me as someone who honored and feared God with her whole being and a great role model and leader. I'd want God to be honored by my life. In everything. But I do question, how people view me now? But I just pray that how I am would be pleasing to God and remembered a a God-fearing girl.

What about you?
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2014 9:15:48 PM
At 2/18/2014 9:13:00 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
How would you wanna b remembered? What kinda person would you want people to remember you as?

Me, I'd want people to remember me as someone who honored and feared God with her whole being and a great role model and leader. I'd want God to be honored by my life. In everything. But I do question, how people view me now? But I just pray that how I am would be pleasing to God and remembered a a God-fearing girl.

What about you?

I'd want to be remembered in all that I do as a guy who left the lives of others better than he found them. That's all, really.
Tsar of DDO
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2014 9:17:31 PM
At 2/18/2014 9:15:48 PM, YYW wrote:

What about you?

I'd want to be remembered in all that I do as a guy who left the lives of others better than he found them. That's all, really.

) well that's a nice gesture. Thanks for sharing.
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2014 10:11:10 PM
I want some people to positively adore me and I want the others to vehemently despise me; but most of all I want none of them to know what the fcck I was talking about.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2014 10:17:13 PM
At 2/18/2014 10:11:10 PM, Noumena wrote:
I want some people to positively adore me and I want the others to vehemently despise me; but most of all I want none of them to know what the fcck I was talking about.

Okie dokie... Thanks for your vivid post... :P
"Good Times" ~ Max
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2014 10:32:31 PM
No I don't want to leave a legacy, and I really don't care how people remember me because it will be pretty impossible FOR me to care, being a dead person. Legacy is a function of vanity, and is often the final goal of the wealthy as they attempt to spoil themselves even in the grave. I am reminded of Achilles in his quest for glory and immortality... while physical immortality is impossible, our fear of death prompts us to seek out the next-best thing.

Now of course I will not just leave it at that; I am a God-fearing purveyor of moral objectiveness and certainty!

I am not so much concerned about "legacy," i.e., what people will think about me after I'm gone, as I am concerned of what I'll feel about myself. When I was a child, I could forgive myself rather easily for just about anything. But now that I have grown, I am granted the privilege of insight at the cost of increased culpability for my actions. Every bit of selfishness and pride shames me and if I can't will the strength to be a benefactor to my community, as opposed to sucking it dry for whatever I can take to indulge myself, then my sins will weigh heavy on my troubled brow. As I get older this is only going to increase, and in my advanced years, as my life fades away and I become weak and brittle, as my thoughts become more confusing and distant, and I lose all connection with the younger people who are to take over this experience of life for me, I will have only my faith that I have used my talents and gifts to help those around me. If I seek only to indulge myself, I will die a bitter old man, tormented by not only my own guilt and cognitive dissonance but also my failed relationships with people who do not wish to help me because I only wish to help myself. No, I want to die happily. You can keep the legacy, just give me a smile and the certainty of knowing that whatever it is I'm going to be facing after I close my eyes for the last time, I will be facing it in full faith of knowing that I resisted selfishness and gave all I could give without expecting anything in return.

In regards to legacy, there is something else to consider. As Jesus pointed out, it's not enough to give, you also have to give without taking credit for it. A charitable donation is worthless if it includes recognition (which you will use to your own advantage in the future). Jesus said that your reward for such a gift is simply your own vanity; you will get no recognition from God for it!

So, ironically enough, the very best people out there are perhaps people that are hated. The opposite of those leaving a legacy, that is. For if the greatest individuals refuse to take credit and refuse to defend themselves, then they will not have their names embedded in plaques or recognized in great hymns. They will do great benefit for you and I without the recognition, and likely be looked down upon and spat on as people who are without honor and glory.

I saw a short film many years ago about (just about) the greatest deed a person could ever do. It involved a space-station with several astronauts inside, which suddenly is taken over by an alien invader who wants to take the space-station down to Earth so it can destroy humanity. It kills all but one of the astronauts, who is able to just manage to hit the decompression sequence and kill himself along with the alien, blowing everything out into space. On Earth, it is not known that there was an alien attack, and it simply looks like the astronauts were very careless, or indeed even malicious in destroying the space station. The astronaut saved humanity, but his name and his family are shamed because it appears that he either accidentally or maliciously destroyed himself and several other people. That is the epitome of a "good" deed. The hero who is celebrated and adorned, as Jesus says, gets his own reward from his glory but gets no recognition from heaven ;)
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2014 10:47:53 PM
As a hero. As in, I'd like to save the world or the human race or some such. Something along the lines of having schools named for me or holidays made in my honor.

"Oh man, you have to work on Michael Day? That sucks."

Something along those lines would suffice.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2014 10:56:17 PM
At 2/18/2014 10:32:31 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
No I don't want to leave a legacy, and I really don't care how people remember me because it will be pretty impossible FOR me to care, being a dead person.

I guess individualism, narcissism and nihilism walk hand in hand, then.
Tsar of DDO
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2014 10:58:57 PM
At 2/18/2014 10:56:17 PM, YYW wrote:
No I don't want to leave a legacy, and I really don't care how people remember me because it will be pretty impossible FOR me to care, being a dead person.

Could you explain what you mean please? I will respond tomorrow when I have time.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2014 11:03:04 PM

What about you?

Godchooseslife, I want to be forgotten and never remembered when I die. Honestly, being completely ignored after death isn't a bad thing I've concluded.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2014 11:04:20 PM
At 2/18/2014 10:58:57 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:

Could you explain what you mean please? I will respond tomorrow when I have time.

If you don't want to leave a legacy and you don't care how people remember you because you won't be around to care, then the meaning you recognize for your own life extends no further than the extent of your own experience. And if you only care about what people think of you to the extent that you're around to know what they think of you, then even when you're around, your reputation (the part of your legacy that comes before death) exists only as an extension of your wants, your needs, as it pertains to your interactions with others. I'm not saying that thinking this way is necessarily bad, but only thinking this way is pretty dismal.

I'm tired so I don't want to go on a political philosophy rant tonight. I've already done that, sort of, in the thread Charles posted about stuff and in reference to what bluesteel said to Noumena. But maybe tomorrow, perhaps, I'll write some more about this.
Tsar of DDO
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2014 11:19:32 PM
I adhere to the belief that life should be happy.

When life is not happy, life is worthless. Sadly my life has been a constant wreck, which is why I believe this kind of life has the right to be forgotten. Not all life should be remembered.
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2014 11:21:35 PM
At 2/18/2014 11:04:20 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/18/2014 10:58:57 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:

If you don't want to leave a legacy and you don't care how people remember you because you won't be around to care, then the meaning you recognize for your own life extends no further than the extent of your own experience. And if you only care about what people think of you to the extent that you're around to know what they think of you, then even when you're around, your reputation (the part of your legacy that comes before death) exists only as an extension of your wants, your needs, as it pertains to your interactions with others. I'm not saying that thinking this way is necessarily bad, but only thinking this way is pretty dismal.

I'm tired so I don't want to go on a political philosophy rant tonight. I've already done that, sort of, in the thread Charles posted about stuff and in reference to what bluesteel said to Noumena. But maybe tomorrow, perhaps, I'll write some more about this.

I agree, YYW. LIfe should be about experiences. I mean Godchooseslife has the right idea about wanting to be remembered as a good person, but that shouldn't be the primary concern of your life either.

Life should be about living too.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2014 11:36:12 PM
At 2/18/2014 11:23:05 PM, Juan_Pablo wrote:
Don't just try to be good. Try to be happy.

Happiness is the byproduct of a life lived meaningfully.
Tsar of DDO
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2014 11:44:00 PM
At 2/18/2014 11:36:12 PM, YYW wrote:

YYW, I've been trying to do that all of my life. But life isn't that easy. I've discovered that happiness comes from succeeding in your tasks, from winning in what you set out to do. But I have a history of losing, and that's why I'm such a grump.

Winning really does matter. But I've been denied it over and over and over, and after a while it just becomes sickening.
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2014 11:48:33 PM
YYW, you're still young. When you get to be my age you'll realize that success ( even if it's modest ) is very important. You need reward to remain happy throughout life.
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2014 11:49:56 PM
I remember thinking like you when I was young. That is why I wish all of you a great life! Follow your dreams and don't stop!
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2014 11:51:57 PM
At 2/18/2014 11:44:00 PM, Juan_Pablo wrote:

YYW, I've been trying to do that all of my life. But life isn't that easy. I've discovered that happiness comes from succeeding in your tasks, from winning in what you set out to do. But I have a history of losing, and that's why I'm such a grump.

Winning really does matter. But I've been denied it over and over and over, and after a while it just becomes sickening.

You've got to decide what matters to you and what you care about, and devote your time and energy to doing something that whether you win or loose, the value of the blood, the sweat and the tears you've invested isn't lost based on the outcome.

And I'll tell you, failure is a reality of life. There is no plausible state of existence where we always win all of the time -whether it's closing a deal in a business transaction, teaching a high school student how to play the trumpet or building a restaurant that people line up to eat at. Failure, however, is not itself without meaning -what matters is how we choose to have it impact us. We can sulk about it, or learn from it. (It's hard not to sulk, and it requires a conscious choice, too -but it's possible.)

The other thing to realize is that none of us are owed anything. Everything in this world that we have a right for, we've worked for or those who came before us have worked for. That's how life works. It sucks at times, but it's also the thing that makes real success so validating -is that we know it's value only when measured against all the times we came up short.
Tsar of DDO
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2014 11:57:17 PM
At 2/18/2014 11:51:57 PM, YYW wrote:

You've got to decide what matters to you and what you care about, and devote your time and energy to doing something that whether you win or loose, the value of the blood, the sweat and the tears you've invested isn't lost based on the outcome.

And I'll tell you, failure is a reality of life. There is no plausible state of existence where we always win all of the time -whether it's closing a deal in a business transaction, teaching a high school student how to play the trumpet or building a restaurant that people line up to eat at. Failure, however, is not itself without meaning -what matters is how we choose to have it impact us. We can sulk about it, or learn from it. (It's hard not to sulk, and it requires a conscious choice, too -but it's possible.)

The other thing to realize is that none of us are owed anything. Everything in this world that we have a right for, we've worked for or those who came before us have worked for. That's how life works. It sucks at times, but it's also the thing that makes real success so validating -is that we know it's value only when measured against all the times we came up short.

You're right, YYW. Failure is something we will all experience. But there are also real-life cirumstances that can deny people almost all reward and success. A bad investment can do this; a terminal illness can too. There are real situations in life that make life pretty sad. Now I'm not the only person who has suffered from an unfortunate set of circumstances; others can tell you that bad things really do happen to people. It's just life.

Yes, failure is something everyone will experience. But don't take that to mean that success is not important at all. It very much is! You still need to make a good income to feel like a productive citizen. You need to be employed. And you still need to feel happy frequently to feel like life is worth experiencing.

These all matter.
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2014 11:59:32 PM
At 2/18/2014 11:57:17 PM, Juan_Pablo wrote:

You're right, YYW. Failure is something we will all experience. But there are also real-life cirumstances that can deny people almost all reward and success. A bad investment can do this; a terminal illness can too. There are real situations in life that make life pretty sad. Now I'm not the only person who has suffered from an unfortunate set of circumstances; others can tell you that bad things really do happen to people. It's just life.

Yes, failure is something everyone will experience. But don't take that to mean that success is not important at all. It very much is! You still need to make a good income to feel like a productive citizen. You need to be employed. And you still need to feel happy frequently to feel like life is worth experiencing.

These all matter.

I guarantee you that if you were stuck in bed suffering from a debilitating illness you would be questioning whether life has any value to you. The conditions of your life really do matter.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2014 11:59:58 PM

It's true that life happens. As the French say... that's life. And some people have more to overcome than others -but that doesn't mean that those mountains aren't worth climbing.

Yes, failure is something everyone will experience. But don't take that to mean that success is not important at all. It very much is!

Yeah, of course.

You still need to make a good income to feel like a productive citizen. You need to be employed. And you still need to feel happy frequently to feel like life is worth experiencing.

These all matter.

Indeed.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2014 12:01:06 AM
At 2/18/2014 11:59:32 PM, Juan_Pablo wrote:
I guarantee you that if you were stuck in bed suffering from a debilitating illness you would be questioning whether life has any value to you. The conditions of your life really do matter.
Tsar of DDO
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2014 12:02:21 AM
At 2/18/2014 11:59:58 PM, YYW wrote:

It's true that life happens. As the French say... that's life. And some people have more to overcome than others -but that doesn't mean that those mountains aren't worth climbing.

Yes, failure is something everyone will experience. But don't take that to mean that success is not important at all. It very much is!

Yeah, of course.

You still need to make a good income to feel like a productive citizen. You need to be employed. And you still need to feel happy frequently to feel like life is worth experiencing.

These all matter.

Indeed.

Anyway, I'm stating this so that you kids ( you really are kids to me ) make the right choices. Don't go on believing that you can do whatever you want and that somehow you'll fix the situation you're in 10 years from now. As you get older that becomes much harder!

Make the right choices now!
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2014 12:24:27 AM
At 2/18/2014 11:03:04 PM, Juan_Pablo wrote:

What about you?

Godchooseslife, I want to be forgotten and never remembered when I die. Honestly, being completely ignored after death isn't a bad thing I've concluded.

Nothing wrong with being remembered. I mean if it was bad then why do we have history?
"Good Times" ~ Max
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2014 12:29:38 AM
At 2/19/2014 12:24:27 AM, GodChoosesLife wrote:

What about you?

Nothing wrong with being remembered. I mean if it was bad then why do we have history?

Well, that's the irony about bad history, godchooses. It's something people don't want to experience. If we recall it it's because we want to learn something from it, not relive it.

The people that experience a harsh bad history usually would want to experience something else. Of course we remember it for our own benefit, not for theirs.
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2014 12:32:36 AM
At 2/19/2014 12:29:38 AM, Juan_Pablo wrote:

What about you?

Well, that's the irony about bad history, godchooses. It's something people don't want to experience. If we recall it it's because we want to learn something from it, not relive it.

The people that experience a harsh bad history usually would want to experience something else. Of course we remember it for our own benefit, not for theirs.

Not entirely true though... Yes when we go through hard things it's for our benefit, but it's also for others because we may encounter someone who might be dealing with the same which would give us the opportunity to be there for them ...
"Good Times" ~ Max
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2014 12:38:53 AM
At 2/19/2014 12:32:36 AM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
At 2/19/2014 12:29:38 AM, Juan_Pablo wrote:

What about you?

Not entirely true though... Yes when we go through hard things it's for our benefit, but it's also for others because we may encounter someone who might be dealing with the same which would give us the opportunity to be there for them ...

I get your point. Sometimes being around others that have experienced similar events as we have can be therapeutic. Also, people that have experienced difficult times can relay information to us that is immensely important. There is some value in that. But of course harsh experiences, especially when the deaths of many, many people are involved are tragic simply because of what happened. The people that do die don't get to survive the event. There is that surreal element to these kind of harsh tragedies.
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2014 12:49:25 AM
Anyway, one of the reasons why I'm such a grump at the moment is because my wallet was stolen more than a year ago, and I can't become employed until I renew my social security card, which I can't do until I replace my stolen green card.

Instead of replacing my green card, I've decided to become an American citizen, and the patient waiting I do admit is difficult for me because I'm not employed at the moment and can't become employed until I replace my social security card. LOL. Oh it's a very, very trying time for me!

I imagine that if the FBI stumbles across these posts they will probably deny me citizenship just for being a bitter grump! ( Of course I hope they don't. )
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2014 12:57:52 AM
Godchooseslife, like you I do want to be remembered as a good person. I honestly want to be remembered as someone who made the world a better place.

But I think I'm mostly going to be remembered for being a complainer and miser. o_o