Jump to topic:

Eating disorders

GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 5:51:58 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Anyone struggle with this? Anorexia or bulimia?
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 6:27:35 PM
About ten years ago I dated a girl who was an anorexic/bulimic. It's really hard to understand this if you haven't had experience with it. I would hang out with her for 48+ hours, think about all the meals I ate over that period, and realize all she consumed during that period was a single diet soda. It makes you want to grab them and shake them and tell them to just eat already! It's so damned simple just do it!

But they can't. They're minds are warped from being conditioned for years by dangerous ideals that don't exist. Barbie dolls that are disproportionately constructed and supermodels who are airbrushed and visually-altered with computer software are a couple of examples of what causes this unattainable image. In their minds, they are fat and grotesque even if they are dangerously skinny.

Unfortunately, dating this girl caused her to get worse. She was a healthy weight when I met her, but in her mind she was going to lose me because she was fat. She stopped eating and I had no idea what was going on (I understand she had the condition, but I had no experience with it). She started getting skinny. She would sit there in front of the mirror looking at herself, turning around, sighing often. I figured if I told her she was TOO skinny she would "get it," but she couldn't see herself through my eyes. She kept getting worse and I could tell from her father, who understood it much better than I did, that I was part of the problem so I broke up with her. I broke her heart to do it too... I haven't seen her since and I know if I did she would turn around and walk the other way.

I'm not quite sure exactly why this epidemic is occurring, other than the false imagery I was giving earlier. I think there is more to it than that, though. I will figure it out someday, at this point I have seen that our social problems all have common roots. We have an increasingly individualistic culture which is losing its social cohesion because of a ridiculous dependence on technological luxuries that are not only unnecessary but wasteful and selfish. Ancient wisdom and spiritual thinking is being lost, giving way to cold, practical reasoning like economics and consequentialism. Who needs faith when you have insurance? Diseases like obesity, anorexia/bulimia, ADD, Celiac's, diabetes, Crohn's, and others are not popping up coincidentally, they are being created due to the externalities in our culture and technology that we brush off because we ought to have the freedom to do whatever we want until there is doubtless scientific proof that somebody is being damaged (coupled with the damaged party's ability to fight back against it). We are so obsessed with liberty and freedom, that we don't see how much of it we are destroying through our national quest for selfishness.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 6:44:35 PM
At 2/21/2014 6:27:35 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:

Would you believe me if I told you that I struggle from anorexia? ...
It began in the 6th grade... I was 119 lbs, but people (peers) said I was getting fat... So I decided that to stop eating would help... As time progressed, I realized my looks didn't matter, so I just ate whatever... But what happens now is if I'm under stress, mad, depressed I won't eat... It seems I've created in myself that if I don't eat it'll help me get over things, but it doesn't, in fact, it creates bigger issues.. My family is always saying eat eat eat... And I do... But then when I get at a certain point I'm like who cares... I don't wanna... And there are times where I'll catch myself examining my size :(
I'm so ashamed to admit this, but it is the case.. I do struggle with it..and what makes it worse is I know what health problems can arise from it later when I'm older. Osteoporosis, ... Etc...
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 7:27:59 PM
At 2/21/2014 6:44:35 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:

It began in the 6th grade... I was 119 lbs, but people (peers) said I was getting fat... So I decided that to stop eating would help... As time progressed, I realized my looks didn't matter, so I just ate whatever... But what happens now is if I'm under stress, mad, depressed I won't eat... It seems I've created in myself that if I don't eat it'll help me get over things, but it doesn't, in fact, it creates bigger issues.. My family is always saying eat eat eat... And I do... But then when I get at a certain point I'm like who cares... I don't wanna... And there are times where I'll catch myself examining my size :(
I'm so ashamed to admit this, but it is the case.. I do struggle with it..and what makes it worse is I know what health problems can arise from it later when I'm older. Osteoporosis, ... Etc...

Mrs. Bladerunner has food issues--so while it was already a thing in which I was professionally interested in, I now have a far more vested interest in the subject.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 9:29:55 PM
I'm starting to think I have mild bigorexia. I always look smaller to myself in the mirror than in videos and pics.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 9:56:25 PM
At 2/21/2014 7:27:59 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

Mrs. Bladerunner has food issues--so while it was already a thing in which I was professionally interested in, I now have a far more vested interest in the subject.

Why is that?
"Good Times" ~ Max
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 9:56:48 PM
At 2/21/2014 9:29:55 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
I'm starting to think I have mild bigorexia. I always look smaller to myself in the mirror than in videos and pics.

Never heard that one before?
"Good Times" ~ Max
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 10:05:28 PM
At 2/21/2014 9:56:48 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
At 2/21/2014 9:29:55 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

Never heard that one before?
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
SPENCERJOYAGE14
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 10:26:24 PM
I have this thing where I never feel hungry or the need to eat anything, when I was younger I didn't understand that this was bad and skipped meals at a time. Even once I went to my grandparents and didn't eat for 4 days. Well, my doctor found out and my parents watch me eat almost every meal. Anyways, I'm a healthy teenager now.
I'm so fancy, you already know.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2014 12:45:56 AM
At 2/21/2014 9:56:25 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:

Why is that?

Be....Cause I love my wife and therefore have a vested interest in trying to help her?
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2014 1:23:06 AM
At 2/22/2014 12:45:56 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:

Why is that?

Be....Cause I love my wife and therefore have a vested interest in trying to help her?

Oh ok. Well that's good :)
Did my post help or something?
"Good Times" ~ Max
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2014 1:26:40 AM
At 2/22/2014 1:23:06 AM, GodChoosesLife wrote:

Why is that?

Oh, I guess I probably should have replied to your original post--sorry, I wasn't making a point about the specific post to which I replied. You asked about people struggling with bulimia or anorexia. While I'm not struggling myself (as anyone who takes one look at me is probably aware), I have an interest in the subject professionally and personally, is all I was getting at.
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2014 1:27:56 AM
At 2/22/2014 1:26:40 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 2/22/2014 1:23:06 AM, GodChoosesLife wrote:

Why is that?

Oh, I guess I probably should have replied to your original post--sorry, I wasn't making a point about the specific post to which I replied. You asked about people struggling with bulimia or anorexia. While I'm not struggling myself (as anyone who takes one look at me is probably aware), I have an interest in the subject professionally and personally, is all I was getting at.

Ohh okay, I see. Well, that makes sense.
"Good Times" ~ Max
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2014 4:34:17 AM

I'd believe a great deal of what you say, simply based on your sincerity.

That sucks to hear because you are amazingly beautiful. No matter what your weight is some guy is going to base his entire self-worth on the fact that you somehow chose to give him your heart.

Opening up about your problem is a powerful step in recovery. Now you have to let go and have faith that things are going to work out for you because your heart is in the right place and people get what they deserve. Nothing is going to stop you from the happy life you deserve because you are a good person.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2014 6:56:37 AM
At 2/22/2014 4:34:17 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:

I'd believe a great deal of what you say, simply based on your sincerity.

That sucks to hear because you are amazingly beautiful. No matter what your weight is some guy is going to base his entire self-worth on the fact that you somehow chose to give him your heart.

I often remind myself that like psalms said, I was fearfully and wonderfully made in God's image and thus am beautiful because of Him.

Opening up about your problem is a powerful step in recovery. Now you have to let go and have faith that things are going to work out for you because your heart is in the right place and people get what they deserve. Nothing is going to stop you from the happy life you deserve because you are a good person.

I cannot agree that I am good person. But I understand what you are saying
"Good Times" ~ Max
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2014 8:45:38 AM
GodChoosesLife, can I just say you are absolutely stunning??!!

In terms of eating disorders, I've always loved food too much to even think about not eating it, and I'm too obsessed with my teeth to throw up on purpose. I wish I was thinner and my self-esteem is closely tied to the way I look, unfortunately. Wish I had some advice for you but all I have are e-hugs <3
yang.
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2014 9:50:40 AM

http://www.today.com...

Although you might already know this, given you are a paramedic- this helped me a lot while my best friend was struggling with anorexia. You might find this helpful.
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2014 9:55:56 AM
At 2/21/2014 10:26:24 PM, SPENCERJOYAGE14 wrote:
I have this thing where I never feel hungry or the need to eat anything, when I was younger I didn't understand that this was bad and skipped meals at a time. Even once I went to my grandparents and didn't eat for 4 days. Well, my doctor found out and my parents watch me eat almost every meal. Anyways, I'm a healthy teenager now.

Thank you for sharing. Seems we can somewhat relate. :)
"Good Times" ~ Max
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2014 10:02:03 AM
At 2/22/2014 8:45:38 AM, tulle wrote:

In terms of eating disorders, I've always loved food too much to even think about not eating it, and I'm too obsessed with my teeth to throw up on purpose. I wish I was thinner and my self-esteem is closely tied to the way I look, unfortunately. Wish I had some advice for you but all I have are e-hugs <3

Awww thank you tulle. I appreciate it. But this should kinda tell everyone though that I'm not a perfect little angel, I have struggles just anyone else would. Am I proud of it, of course not, but admitting to it and making a change is a start.
But another thing I forgot to add was sometimes I get so busy I literally forget to eat. That's happened on countless times. But I'm def working on it. I'm eating at the moment actually lol
"Good Times" ~ Max
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2014 10:06:18 AM
At 2/22/2014 9:50:40 AM, Cermank wrote:

http://www.today.com...

Although you might already know this, given you are a paramedic- this helped me a lot while my best friend was struggling with anorexia. You might find this helpful.

Thanks. I was aware of this sort of needed response--and she's got help, both from me and from a local professional. But more stories never hurt.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2014 10:13:17 AM

In all seriousness--though we're all a disjointed, fractured, troll-y group, if you ever need help or sounding boards I'm sure there's literally dozens of folks on here who'd be willing to listen. I mean, yes, it's the internet, and I wouldn't, say, reach out to Badger necessarily, but still: lots of folks.

I don't recollect what, if any specific, denomination you are--but if your folks's pressuring you to eat is counter-productive, you might consider talking with whatever pastor you have and having him (or her) interject with them on your behalf.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2014 10:18:23 AM
At 2/22/2014 10:02:03 AM, GodChoosesLife wrote:

Awww thank you tulle. I appreciate it. But this should kinda tell everyone though that I'm not a perfect little angel, I have struggles just anyone else would. Am I proud of it, of course not, but admitting to it and making a change is a start.
But another thing I forgot to add was sometimes I get so busy I literally forget to eat. That's happened on countless times. But I'm def working on it. I'm eating at the moment actually lol

I don't think it's something to be ashamed of either, and I think it's very brave of people who choose to speak out about it.

I've struggled with Depression and thyroid issues for a long time and my weight fluctuates as a result. I also tend to gain weight (~20 lbs) when I'm in a relationship :/
yang.
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2014 10:18:43 AM
At 2/22/2014 10:13:17 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:

In all seriousness--though we're all a disjointed, fractured, troll-y group, if you ever need help or sounding boards I'm sure there's literally dozens of folks on here who'd be willing to listen. I mean, yes, it's the internet, and I wouldn't, say, reach out to Badger necessarily, but still: lots of folks.

I don't recollect what, if any specific, denomination you are--but if your folks's pressuring you to eat is counter-productive, you might consider talking with whatever pastor you have and having him (or her) interject with them on your behalf.

Thanks. I talk to a couple of people on DDO. But sometimes I see it's necessary to reveal that I'm not an innocent person because I have struggles. It's basically humiliating myself but it's fine with me. Part of growing learning and maturing. And making right decisions. And no it's not a forceful type of thing from my family more outta mere concern for my health. I'm stubborn at times(ok maybe a lot lol) but I'm working on that. It's better taking words from the wise then fools who know nothing (talking about myself here). Thank you for your input and I pray goes well with your wife. It actually just let's me know that I'm not alone.
"Good Times" ~ Max
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2014 10:22:45 AM
At 2/22/2014 10:18:23 AM, tulle wrote:
At 2/22/2014 10:02:03 AM, GodChoosesLife wrote:

I don't think it's something to be ashamed of either, and I think it's very brave of people who choose to speak out about it.

I've struggled with Depression and thyroid issues for a long time and my weight fluctuates as a result. I also tend to gain weight (~20 lbs) when I'm in a relationship :/

I say not being proud of it cause I should be thankful. For the food God provides for family and friends that care to cook for me or buy me food or even myself. I mean how does it look I'm trying to care and be concerned about other people and neglecting myself? Doesn't look right and in my mind it isn't fair to the others.
Sorry to hear about your situation but mad to know your stronger now, right?
"Good Times" ~ Max
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2014 11:16:48 AM
@GCL---ah, I get what you're saying. And yeah, overcoming any mental health issue is a challenge and I don't regret any of my experiences. I hope you have the support in your life to help you through it :)
yang.
SPENCERJOYAGE14
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2014 3:06:24 PM
At 2/22/2014 9:55:56 AM, GodChoosesLife wrote:

Thank you for sharing. Seems we can somewhat relate. :)

Anytime.
I'm so fancy, you already know.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2014 5:47:22 PM
My sister was anorexic at the age of 6 to 12. My cousin currently. My aunt was bulimic.

My sister tried to, you know, off herself.
My cousin is trying to fit in and was the one who bullied my sis (they are the same age)
My aunt passed away from alcohol-abuse and bulimia.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
BronwynHolmes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2014 5:28:05 PM

So, GodChoosesLife. This is in response to the beginning posts in which you had explained your situation.

I thank you for coming out about this and confiding in someone (even if it is strangers on the internet ;) ). As someone had mentioned before- that is the first step. I have gone down a difficult road myself and along that road I have met amazing people, some in which had eating disorders. I went to an RTC (residential treatment center), for 14 months and was able to be alongside others that were facing their EDs (many of them actually had similar stories to yours in a few ways). I was able to help them and they were able to confide in me so I am going to give you the best advice that I can give, since it would be pointless for this post to not produce any solutions.

EDs are mental disorders. They mess with your head and your body and make you go into dreadfully dark places. From what I understand, it really does stick with you and it is hard to see how beautiful, intelligent, and amazing you are with such a cloud over your shoulders. No one should hate themselves. Everyone has equal opportunity, equal power, and sure everyone faces different issues but I believe that everyone is beautiful and a wonderful person- even if it comes off differently. I am not going to save you from your feelings and tell you that you shouldn't feel the way that you do now. Those are your emotions and you should respect them in every way possible, but challenging them would be extremely beneficial. One of my friends would try to tell herself at least once a day that she was beautiful when looking in the mirror despite how much that she loathed herself (I would say that "loathed" rather undermines what she felt about herself, but I am lacking the right word- she obsessively hated herself). She didn't believe it. She felt disgusting whenever she had to say it to herself but she had to everyday, and after a while she felt like more and more of it was slowly becoming true. I don"t know if that will work for you, but it"s worth a shot.

I kind of went a little off track there- as much is that may be valuable. The most important thing to do to set you in the right direction is to tell someone. I don"t mean on the internet I mean someone that can help, a trust-worthy friend, relative, significant other, just someone. If you think that you can stop and that they can keep you in place that is amazing- however if you are still having issues a therapist would be a good idea.
The typical person thinks "Therapist? I"m not bat-shiz crazy! Why in heck would I need a therapist?!?!" But I assure you that it really does help to have someone legally obligated to keep what you say completely confidential. Talking to someone that can honestly help will be beneficial over the long run. There are serious consequences if you don"t stop, this disease can easily be fatal and unfortunately it becomes more difficult to stop farther down the road. You can do this. You are a strong person, we all have the power to take out whatever is causing us pain, we just have to set our mind to it. You"re the only one that can help yourself- no one else can make you love you.

I get that was a lot" but whatever... I"ll be here for you, or anyone else that is struggling. I"ve been down the rabbit hole a few times and I know how to escape it.

That is all.
Clintilius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2014 10:26:33 PM

You know, talking to a psychologist can help (or a phychyatrist, I don't know the difference). If you don't feel like eating then try watching Youtube videos with your favorite food...